AZ AZ - Alissa Turney, 17, Phoenix, 17 May 2001 *stepdad ARREST in 2020, acquitted*

MISSING SISTER MURDER TRIAL: MICHAEL TURNEY RELEASED FROM JAIL​

75-year-old Michael Turney was acquitted of his stepdaughter's presumed murder. Alissa Turney went missing in 2001 when she was 17-years-old, and is presumed dead. Michael walked out of jail a free man today. (7/18/23)

I was one of the only local reporters in the courtroom today as the Judge decided to acquit Micheal Turney. It was a lot to take in. I can’t imagine how this felt for everyone involved. Support is pouring in for Sarah Turney (Alissa’s sister) on social media as we wait for Michael Turney to be released from jail. The defense team, and other attorneys, reminding everyone Micheal Turney cannot be tried for the same crime twice.

RAW JAIL RELEASE VIDEO: We ask Michael Turney questions following his release from jail after being acquitted for the murder of his stepdaughter Alissa Turney yesterday. He vows to keep looking for Alissa, and that he loves his other children despite them testifying against him

Michael Turney walks with a cane out of jail to his son’s car, who was waiting to pick him up. He was brought in and out of trial in a wheelchair this past week.

MICHAEL TURNEY RELEASED: He says he will never stop looking for Alissa. His message to his kids…he loves them. He would not answer any questions about Alissa’s disappearance or if he was involved.

One of his sons picked him up. He had a few boxes of things. He walked with his cane out of jail and his son loaded his things into a car.

Seems as though he is going to try to place all blame on Phoenix PD. Maybe tell Sarah that they were just out to get him and convince her that they pointed it toward him. It would seem to match his previous behavior. When they asked if he had a message for Alissa if she was still out there, the annoyance and disgust at the mention of her name. He said what he said because he knew he should, not because he meant it. Not at all.

He always has an excuse for everything. Everyone's lying, everyone's out to get him, etc. He's never advocated for Alissa (as Sarah has pointed out). This trial still made him look very bad, and he has only himself to blame.

However, I hate the fact that he is now free but the time he spent in prison is something of a comfort. Now he's in a prison of his own making.

Even if Sarah did bring a wrongful death suit, I'm sure he has $0 to his name. The moral victory might be worth it though, or perhaps dragging him through court through his last years of life.
Yeah, if he is found liable for Alissa's wrongful death, that's the main thing.

I hope this creeper just owns up to his mistakes. Lord, you put this family through enough.

I hope this creeper just owns up to his mistakes. Lord, you put this family through enough.
Maybe he will. But he is going to torture the family emotionally & mentally first.

Sarah, her brother James & Mike have released a family statement on the podcast.
Sarah and James summed it up very well.

They were so right about what the jury was not allowed to hear, and how the defense got away with smearing Alissa. James put it very well about growing up in a toxic and abusive environment.

Detectives Stuart Somershue and William Anderson - I remember them on the 20/20 special, and even now, it's obvious that this case still matters to them, and that they too, wanted justice for Alissa.

I was surprised to hear from Sarah so soon after, it had to be incredibly difficult for her to do, but she fought so hard to get this case to where it went, only to have her hopes dashed. While I'm sure she, her brothers, and others who love Alissa knew they would be facing an uphill battle, they were shocked by the judge's ruling, there were no closing arguments and the jury didn't even have the chance to deliberate.

I'm dreading the upcoming interview with MT and how he will try to spin this, ugh.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back