AZ AZ - Florence Junction, WhtFem UP7209, 1131UFAZ, "Clandestine Grave Jane Doe," Jun'88

lightofmine99

♞Ⅸ
Reaction score
**Surprisingly this Doe did not have a thread prior to now; I decided to make one for posterity. Her I.D. has not been announced officially yet, but her NamUs is down and she is listed as "solved" on the Doe Network as of March 19, 2024.**

AZ | Florence Junction (Pinal Co.) "Clandestine Grave" Jane Doe - June 1988
CLANDESTINE - Copy.png

Reconstruction of the Jane Doe...

On June 28, 1988, decomposing remains of a female were found in the desert of Pinal County, Arizona. The area is located approximately ¼ mile west of US 79 and south of Florence Junction. Authorities estimate the Jane Doe was over 50 and about 5’3” tall with medium length gray hair. Her hair had traces of blonde. A pink denture with porcelain teeth was found with her remains. In life, she had suffered from osteoporosis, compression fractures, and a curved spine that would have caused her to have a hunchback posture.

Her clothing was described as a floral dress or housecoat with snaps up the front. She was also wearing a white bra and white size 8 underpants. Her physical appearance and personal affects heavily imply this Jane Doe was definitely an older woman. The Jane Doe was believed to have died within the previous year and was buried in a grave described as "clandestine." (per DDP).

Per the Unidentified Wiki, she had two exclusions as of March 2024:
Elizabeth Rogers and Vernette Wester. I have not found anything that indicates her C.O.D.

This Jane Doe's case was taken on by the DNA Doe Project in 2022. On March 19, 2024, this Jane Doe was listed as "IDENTIFIED" on the Doe Network website, and her NamUs was taken down. An archive of her NamUs is not available. This post was made for posterity, as she did not have a thread here prior. We may or may not have an official announcement of her identity. We wait with bated breath!
Physical Description
  • Estimated Age: 50-99 years old
  • Race: White
  • Sex: Female
  • Height: 5'3", estimated
  • Weight: Unknown
  • Hair Color: Partially gray or gray with traces of blonde, 4" long
  • Eye Color: Unknown
  • Distinguishing Marks/Features: Slouched or hunchback posture caused by spina bifida of sacrum, osteoporosis, and diffuse idiopathic skeletal hyperostosis (DISH). Osteoarthritis in the cervical, thoracic and lumbar vertebrae with fusion of vertebral bodies T9 to T10, T12 to L1 and L2, and compression fractures of bodies T7, T8, T10, T11 with marked kyphosis (curving of spine).
DNA / Identifiers
  • Dentals: Available, x-rays and photographs; the upper denture was recovered in context with the remains: pink acrylic with porcelain teeth.
  • Fingerprints: Unavailable
  • DNA: Available
Personal Affects:
  • Clothing & Personal Items
  • Clothing: Floral/multi-colored housecoat or dress with snaps in front; bra; and white underpants (size 8).
  • Jewelry: Unknown
  • Additional Personal Items: Unknown

Circumstances of Discovery
Decomposing remains were found partially buried in the desert about 1/4 mile west of US 89, south of Florence Junction. (per DN).

Links
DN: 1131UFAZ (ARCHIVE)
Arizona Republic: June 30, 1988.
DNA Project: Florence Junction Clandestine Grave Jane Doe 1988 - DNA Doe Project
<modsnip: not approved source links>
NamUs: Unavailable now...

Last edited by a moderator:
I wonder what was a cause of her death and how she died, there is nothing about if she had any trauma. It is also possible that she died of natural causes and somebody just decided to keep her death secret.
The second scenario you mentioned often happens when the family or other caretakers want to keep receiving the deceased's Social Security checks.

Probably one of the most realistic clay reconstructions ever made. She still looks like a puppet or a mannequin but far less unsettling than the Pyre Jane Doe, for example.
The second scenario you mentioned often happens when the family or other caretakers want to keep receiving the deceased's Social Security checks.
That was going to be my suggestion. Hopefully when/if her I.D. is announced officially we will get some more information.

If the I.D. announcement takes a while it might be because they are (rightfully) investigating the death further. Wondering if she was ever reported missing.

I have asked the Pinal County ME about the status of this lady and he confirmed that the case will soon be resolved and will be removed again from NamUs.

ETA: DDP was not aware that her NamUs profile was down for about a month and didn't know why.

Last edited:

For reference in other cases: it's not uncommon for a Namus page to go off line for a few days while it's having major updates, such as exclusions, new identifiers, new reconstructions, investigative information not visible to the public, etc. It's also not uncommon for the LE related to a newly identified person to make sure the Namus information is up to date before it's permanently removed from public view.

The NamUs profile for this lady was removed on March 15. That day the resolved cases for AZ did not go up, so it was a good indication that it was only hidden from public view, which was later confirmed by the ME.

I have asked the Pinal County ME about the status of this lady and he confirmed that the case will soon be resolved and will be removed again from NamUs.

ETA: DDP was not aware that her NamUs profile was down for about a month and didn't know why.
Oh interesting this case is not marked as a Past case, so I guess the case was solved by either means not investigative genetic genealogy, I hope there will be an announcement soon

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jim Sheppard
Back