Baltimore, MD - Container Ship Strikes Francis Scott Key Bridge - Mass Casualty Situation

Attorneys for two of the victims who died in the incident and one of the survivors, Julio Cervantes Suarez, are speaking out.

"He survived because his window was manual. He was able to roll down the window and escape. And then he was able to hang on to some drifting steel and survive," said attorney L. Chris Stewart.

Clearing the shipping channel of all steel beams and any containers will probably not be sufficient to reopen the normal channel. The Dali will have to be lightened, refloated and towed away first, as wakes of passing ships will stress the hull through hogging and sagging beyond what the tides are doing to the grounded vessel.
MOO

"Four 'vital' US military cargo support ships

are trapped behind collapsed Baltimore bridge.

View attachment 496110

Four US military support ships are trapped behind the collapsed Francis Scott Key bridge in Baltimore -
a logistical nightmare that could threaten America's readiness to respond to a conflict.

The four cargo vessels:
the SS Antares,
SS Denebola,
Gary I. Gordon and
Cape Washington -
are part of the Ready Reserve Force,
a branch of the Maritime Administration's National Defense Reserve Fleet.

All were docked in Baltimore,
poised to deploy in the event of a conflict,
when the bridge collapsed on March 26.

Two were undergoing maintenance and two were stationed at the dock.

Now, they are stuck in the paralyzed port.

The ships are part of a fleet which has previously provided support in conflicts including the Gulf War."

I thought the US Navy wasn't allowing large and critically needed ships like this to be in vulnerable ports.

I’m so sick of this crap. Those poor souls are still missing and this is what they care about?! Give me a break.

Everyone is trying to politicize/monetize everything.

However, it gives me the idea. Perhaps renaming the ill-fated bridge after Kay is not a good idea, they don't do it with the ships, do they?

So, much I don't have a clue about Michel, I know that Baltimore is now in dire straights, financially. Why not auction the name for the new bridge, and whatever corporation/entity/person puts in the most money (and pays upfront), the bridge will bear his/her name. The money goes to the port of Baltimore.

Everyone is trying to politicize/monetize everything.

However, it gives me the idea. Perhaps renaming the ill-fated bridge after Kay is not a good idea, they don't do it with the ships, do they?

So, much I don't have a clue about Michel, I know that Baltimore is now in dire straights, financially. Why not auction the name for the new bridge, and whatever corporation/entity/person puts in the most money (and pays upfront), the bridge will bear his/her name. The money goes to the port of Baltimore.

My understanding is that public structures are named by our government repesentatives, so any person or group is free to lobby their government representatives to name or rename a public structure and it will be decided upon by the government. I would think this would be the federal government, since my understanding is that the feds will be providing the funding for the rebuilding of the bridge.

Taxpayers have a say in the naming of public structures through their government representatives, so the auctioning of naming rights to the highest bidder is not appropriate, IMO. That's our money that is paying for the bridge reconstruction - and so we have a say in its naming or renaming, through our elected representatives. Should a private individual decide to pay for the rebuilding of the bridge and own it privately, then it would be their right to name it as they choose. But I don't see that happening here.

Snipped
After completing a week-long barge journey from Galveston, Texas, a massive 200-ton hydraulic salvage grab docked at Sparrows Point this weekend, ready to lend its formidable capabilities to the ongoing efforts.

Massive 200-Ton Hydraulic Salvage Grab Arrives to Aid Francis Scott Key Bridge Recovery

The city of Baltimore is suing the owner and operator of the ship that crashed into Francis Scott Key Bridge last month, claiming the vessel was 'unseaworthy' when it left port.

The 985-ft Dali vessel was manned by 'an incompetent crew' and set sail despite several prior warnings about its safety, the lawsuit states.

Six construction crew workers were killed in the accident, which brought one of America's busiest ports to a grinding halt.

In court documents filed on Monday, city officials, including Mayor Brandon Scott, say the ship's parent company, Grace Ocean Private Ltd, and its operator, Synergy Marine Group, were 'potentially criminally negligent'.

The city claims the ship set sail despite 'alarms showing an inconsistent power supply' and accuses the boat's owner of supplying it with 'unseaworthy equipment, systems, and appurtenances'.

Fourth temporary channel opens. BTW St. John is in New Brunswick, not to be confused with St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador.
Early Thursday morning, the Key Bridge Response Unified Command opened a fourth, 35-foot deep, temporary channel through the crash site, calling it a huge milestone in the recovery effort.

From Fort Armistead Park, 11 News got a view of the first vessel to move through the new channel. It was the cargo ship "Balsa 94" that made history as the first large commercial cargo ship out of the Port of Baltimore since the bridge collapse on March 26. Sailing under a Panama flag, the Balsa is headed for St. John, Canada.
[...]

"(It's) a great day for Unified Command, the maritime industry, and more importantly, the Port of Baltimore. Now, we're being able to move deep draft ships inbound and outbound to the port," U.S. Coast Guard Cmdr. Baxter Smoak said.
[...]
"They'll have a tugboat ahead in stern. We also have two tugboats in the vicinity of the Dali, as well as one on standby as they transit that really narrow channel compared to what they normally would have available," Smoak said.

like who cares right now (not aimed at you Dotta, rather the people in the article)
there's people still missing
and it wont be rebuilt for quite awhile

Me, (puts hand up). I think we should move away from naming publicly owned structures after people and corporations. Knowing how much time these changes take to put into effect, now is a good time to start the conversation. We can recover the lost, reopen the channel, and talk about renaming the bridge all the same time. They are not mutually exclusive topics.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back