Baltimore, MD - Container Ship Strikes Francis Scott Key Bridge - Mass Casualty Situation

Always call the gas company before you dig.

Even under 50 feet of water in the middle of a navigational channel :D[

Can you imagine what would have happened if the ship's keel had ruptured that high-pressure gas line, too?:eek:

I was always laughing at the aesthetics of small towns in my motherland, imagine the whole town decorated with such pipelines, and they are always yellow. But now I am asking myself, perhaps it make sense, if safer and easier accessible?

Attachments

• IMG_3353.jpeg
    IMG_3353.jpeg
    107.3 KB · Views: 32
I was always laughing at the aesthetics of small towns in my motherland, imagine the whole town decorated with such pipelines, and they are always yellow. But now I am asking myself, perhaps it make sense, if safer and easier accessible?

Does everyone end up using them to hang laundry on to dry? I can certainly see that happening.

Does everyone end up using them to hang laundry on to dry? I can certainly see that happening.

Yes, or hanging up swings, or even using as an open air gym for pulling up… I think yellow is obligatory, but it looks “toxic waste yellow”, if you get my drift. I can see the situations when such pipes might be very dangerous (a lightning), and I still don’t know whether the speed of gasification or accessibility gave someone the idea?

I saw some of those in Berlin. I think they had been replaced with underground pipes, but they kept some and decorated them like modern art. It’s in the same area as the Berlin Wall museum, with parts of the old wall still standing.

Heh, I've seen such pipes during my travels and did photograph it. Small dirt road villages have what could only be called gas pipe arches over the roads! Not the best example, but here's one.

Heh, I've seen such pipes during my travels and did photograph it. Small dirt road villages have what could only be called gas pipe arches over the roads! Not the best example, but here's one.
The pink gas pipes in Berlin with decorated remnants of Berlin Wall in the background

<snipped>
“So with coal, Baltimore is the number two port. The number one port is Hampton Roads, the ports of Virginia,” Saldanha said in an interview Tuesday afternoon. “So you see a lot of scrambling happening. CSX and Norfolk Southern are the two main carriers for coal in this region, and they will be definitely looking at their customers’ requests to start diverting freight that would traditionally go to the port of Baltimore now to the Virginia ports.”

bob_003.gif
NORFOLK

Royal Caribbean ‘Vision of the Seas’ to return to Norfolk​

by: Kevin Cheek
Posted: Apr 3, 2024 / 06:56 AM EDT
Updated: Apr 3, 2024 / 10:37 AM EDT
NORFOLK, Va. (WAVY) — Royal Caribbean International’s Vision of the Seas will return to Norfolk instead of Baltimore on April 4 in wake of the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapse.
Passengers will leave the ship from 7 a.m. to 11 a.m. and then board buses bound for Baltimore.

Good information on Virginia's extensive tunnel/bridge system.

Virginia officials said the port can handle the extra workload because over 50 years ago, state and local leaders took steps to minimize any mishaps with cargo ships by building tunnels underwater and, more recently, expanded its waterways.

“The Port of Virginia has a significant amount of experience in handling surges of import and export cargo,” said Joe Harris, a spokesman for the Port of Virginia.

Harris said he’s certain the “modern 21st century” port will maintain high service and efficiency levels. On Friday, Harris said it was too early to report how much cargo destined for Baltimore had been processed by the Port of Virginia. According to last May’s State of the Port, a total of 3.7 million units of cargo were processed in 2022, a 5% increase since 2021.
While no ocean carriers cross under-span bridges in Virginia, the governor said last week that the commonwealth inspects the bridges yearly, a fact he “personally checked” to confirm.

US Army Corps of Engineers outlines a plan to reopen the Fort McHenry Channel completely by the end of May.

“These are ambitious timelines that may still be impacted by significant adverse weather conditions or changes in the complexity of the wreckage,” Spellmon added. “We are working quickly and safely to clear the channel and restore full service at this port that is so vital to the nation. At the same time, we continue to keep faith with the families of the missing and are working with our partners to help locate and recover their loved ones

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jazz1391
Back