Baltimore, MD - Container Ship Strikes Francis Scott Key Bridge - Mass Casualty Situation

Yes, and I think upthread was a map that showed some of the depths of the port and channel? And there were some areas that were shallower. Including perhaps where the ship’s bow has come to rest? MOO
From the NOAA Chart , which I can't seem to C&P to show, it looks as though the depth at the bow is at 28 feet.

The designated channel is at 51 feet depth throughout the harbor, maintained by dredging.

1711581204898.png

1711581471706.png

You can open the website to view it yourself.

How deep is the water at Baltimore Harbor?

Today, the main channel reaches 51 feet down and 700 feet across. Brewerton Channel was widened further to 50 feet deep and 700 feet wide in 2001. In 2012, the Seagirt Marine Terminal berth also was deepened to 50 feet.

Last edited:
I think perhaps you mean this post by Herat? It has a diagram.

Yes!…… the NOAA chart link in that earlier thread from Herat. I think it is showing depths in the port. And I imagine some areas might need dredging from time to time? Thank you for the lead.

And still so saddened by those bridge repair workers that could not make it to safety. :(

When there’s no chance of a positive outcome I’m glad two bodies have been found..

I just saw the BBC update it sounds like these bodies were found in a vehicle - this rings true with what the survivor said previously that they were on a break - I think it’s likely the remaining 4 will be found in other vehicles which hopefully makes the divers job easier

Yes!…… the NOAA chart link in that earlier thread from Herat. I think it is showing depths in the port. And I imagine some areas might need dredging from time to time? Thank you for the lead.

And still so saddened by those bridge repair workers that could not make it to safety. :(

Yes. We don't really know which side of the bridge they were on, but they would be in a horrible position to see the ship too close to the pier and then not be able to act in time.

They were also on the end closest to a fixed ramp, but the unraveling of the superstructure carried farther into the fixed ramp on that side. It was just the worst scenario to have to escape from that tumbling bridge. Even if they started the vehicle and gunned it.

I wonder if someone can calculate the speed that unraveling process was going at.

Last edited:
Yes. We don't really know which side of the bridge they were on, but they would be in a horrible position to see the ship too close to the pier and then not be able to act in time.
If I recall from the video, it seemed the vehicles were on the lanes or side of the bridge span from which the ship hit. I thought I saw blinking lights on their vehicles in the moments before the strike.

This sad incident reminds me of a draw bridge we used to take over I believe the James River on Route 5 between Richmond and Williamsburg, Virginia. If I remember correctly, even if a ship was coming through and would clear without the draw raised up traffic was still stopped on both sides of approach until it cleared? It has been a number of years….. so my memory could wane. MOO

Watching Live CNN now. They recovered 2 victims in a red pickup truck. Identified, and families notified. FBI notifying families in Central America. Other vehicles are wrapped up in the concrete and debris.

I must say I am very impressed with the presentation of unified command. Informative and professional in a tough crisis as they update us about the catastrophic event.

** Apologies - looks like this was already posted upthread. I thought it was breaking news.
Thank you for your post, I had missed this very sad update also.
May they Rest In Peace

I live near these bridges , spanning the river Forth in Scotland . Wonderful examples of bridge building spanning 3 centuries. Until our discussion on here I'd never really considered the progression of the engineering or construction methods till now .

Edited to add , sorry cant link to photo of 3 bridges but they are worth o look

HYDERABAD: One of the two pilots from the 22-member all-Indian crew of the Singapore-flagged vessel 'Dali,' which collided with a pillar of the Francis Scott Key Bridge in Baltimore, has sustained an injury.

"We confirm the safety of all crew members and two pilots aboard 'DALI,' with one minor injury reported. The injured crew member has been treated and discharged from the hospital," Owners Grace Ocean Pte Ltd & Ship manager of 'Dali' informed on March 27.

The names of the 22 crew members and the two pilots have not been disclosed.

*I suppose the crew of 22 +2 pilots will also be subjected to drug and alcohol testing? Yes? No

The briefing said “initial reports” suggested a harbor pilot and assistant who were on board reported “power issues, multiple alarms on the bridge and the loss of propulsion prior to the incident.”

The report said the pilot will undergo “post-accident drug and alcohol testing.”

Homendy said at Tuesday afternoon’s news conference that the vessel data recorder will be “critical” to the investigation. She said agency investigators had chosen not to immediately board the vessel to secure the recorder, to “allow some time for the search and recovery,” but added that she expected to have more information Wednesday.

Similar to the “black boxes” found on airplanes, voyage data recorders can help investigators to identify the cause of an accident.

Homendy largely declined to answer specific questions about potential causes or contributing factors, including whether the vessel dropped anchor and whether there should have been additional protective structures around the bridge piers. She also declined to say whether the bridge had been flagged for safety deficiencies in the past, saying that it would “take time to dig through.”
I have a question: if they plan to do drug and alcohol testing at this point in the investigation, wouldn't the drugs and alcohol be long gone out of the body by now? Seems to me it would have had to be done pretty close to the time of the incident or at least within 24 hours.

I live near these bridges , spanning the river Forth in Scotland . Wonderful examples of bridge building spanning 3 centuries. Until our discussion on here I'd never really considered the progression of the engineering or construction methods till now .

Edited to add , sorry cant link to photo of 3 bridges but they are worth o look
My family comes from Sterling and Alloa

We are very familiar with the Firth of Forth and see the 3 bridges on our trips back. It is, indeed, a study of bridgebuilding in 3 different centuries. Quite remarkable.

The Queensferry crossing is a stunningly beautiful bridge. Quite an homage to modern bridge architecture.

1711588062010.png

Last edited:
The bill that is being crafted to support workers while the port is out of action will hopefully support the families of the road crew workers, too. They're mentioned, here.

Yes, they were day laborers so would probably not be eligible for any kind of benefits. An unfair system, JMO

ETA: All labor has value.

Last edited:
Here's a source that doesn't have a pay wall.

Looks like the State of Maryland has a rainy day fund from non-spent Covid relief funds, which could be made available to fund the proposed PORT Act which would provide aid to jobless workers due to the port shutdown.

Who will pay for damages to the ship and its cargo?

The container ship, the Dali, is owned by a Singapore-based firm. The ship's charterer, Maersk, confirmed to Business Insider that vessel company Synergy Group operates the ship.

However, the companies with cargo aboard the Dali will ultimately be responsible for the ship's damages and cargo costs.

The Dali was carrying 330 containers, which now must be re-routed, according to Ryan Petersen, CEO of supply chain logistics company Flexport, which had two containers on the ship.

An ancient maritime law known as "general average" dictates that companies with even a single container aboard a ship have to split the damages pro rata based on the number of containers, ensuring all the stakeholders benefiting from the voyage are splitting the risk, Petersen said.

[...]

Who will pay for everything else?

The majority of the financial fallout is likely to lay primarily with the insurance industry, according to media reports.

Industry experts told FT that insurers could pay out losses for bridge damage, port disruption, and any loss of life.

The collapse could drive "one of the largest claims ever to hit the marine (re)insurance market," John Miklus, president of the American Institute of Marine Underwriters, told
Insurance Business.

Yes, they were day laborers so would probably not be eligible for any kind of benefits. An unfair system, JMO

ETA: All labor has value.
I don't think road workers are going to turn out to be be day laborers. Most likely, they were employees of the City of Baltimore or the State of Maryland, and if they weren't, they were working for a subcontractor.

The collapse could drive "one of the largest claims ever to hit the marine (re)insurance market," John Miklus, president of the American Institute of Marine Underwriters, told Insurance Business.
For those of you who don't know, reinsurance can best be described as insurance for insurance companies, when they get catastrophic claims that they don't otherwise have the available funds in reserve to pay.

This is very commonly used by self-insured employers for large medical claims, usually over about $250,000.

I don't think road workers are going to turn out to be be day laborers. Most likely, they were employees of the City of Baltimore or the State of Maryland, and if they weren't, they were working for a subcontractor.
The workers were from a company named Brawner Builders. They were hired to repair potholes on the bridge.
Co-workers worry about missing colleagues in bridge collapse
Employer of missing bridge workers vows to help their families. "They were wonderful people," exec says.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back