Benjaman Kyle - Those who still need investigation - WE NEED YOUR HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
If they were contacting me from Websleuths, I would ABSOLUTELY entertain the idea. Not only would I entertain it, I would want to know each and every word they had to say. No way would I walk away from that.

Supportive post, lol, but sleuthers make mistakes too.

It is not the policy of WS to approach family directly with tips simply because of the issue of false hope, at least I thought? Like Patty G and others, I do not think this is Steve. In any case, reading Macon's correspondence with Steve's relatives shows that they were certainly thrown into an uproar for quite some time after the information was sent. Now if it had gone LE to LE perhaps files would have been exchanged, fingerprints compared etc before the family was notified. It may have already been done.

If you feel strongly BK is Steve, why argue about it with me? Call LE and see if it has been checked out...let us know what the results are so we can set it aside or not.

This is the site where I looked at the pictures of Steve Dewey this morning.
http://www.steve-dewey.com/

Not sure if this site is listed here anywhere, but I promise, I'll get caught up as I am behind a year or so since this started here.

Do we have a place to just put the websites we searched?

I did this website between yesterday and today - http://www.doenetwork.org/ under "Index to Unexplained Disappearances". This covers all over the world and ~5600 photos listed.

The closest I got was: Jacek Zuk http://www.doenetwork.org/ BUY he has brownish/green eyes and is 2" shorter. :(

It is not the policy of WS to approach family directly with tips simply because of the issue of false hope, at least I thought? Like Patty G and others, I do not think this is Steve. In any case, reading Macon's correspondence with Steve's relatives shows that they were certainly thrown into an uproar for quite some time after the information was sent. Now if it had gone LE to LE perhaps files would have been exchanged, fingerprints compared etc before the family was notified. It may have already been done.

If you feel strongly BK is Steve, why argue about it with me? Call LE and see if it has been checked out...let us know what the results are so we can set it aside or not.

Just so you all know.....I waited ample time after contacting FBI, Richmond PD, and Savannah Morning News and getting no responses before deciding to contact Steve Dewey's family. They weren't in an uproar, rather VERY excited and appreciative to hear from me. You should also know that I didn't post every single word from my e-mails with the SNL. There was more information shared with me that I would never post publicly.

This has nothing to do with the above statement, but suppose the spouse left behind has already moved on, found someone else (three years later), and finds out her husband just might be alive. She would more than likely be in denial.

Just so you all know.....I waited ample time after contacting FBI, Richmond PD, and Savannah Morning News and getting no responses before deciding to contact Steve Dewey's family. They weren't in an uproar, rather VERY excited and appreciative to hear from me. You should also know that I didn't post every single word from my e-mails with the SNL. There was more information shared with me that I would never post publicly.

This has nothing to do with the above statement, but suppose the spouse left behind has already moved on, found someone else (three years later), and finds out her husband just might be alive. She would more than likely be in denial.

I am not criticizing your sleuthing, MC :blowkiss:. I am sharing what I was told as a newbie.

If the information you posted does not represent what you intended, and that the family is unsure, please let us know. I read it to say that after deliberation, they decided it was not Steve. I am not in their shoes, and I do not know how difficult it may be to decide whether or not they want to know if the person being brought to their attention is their missing loved one....whatever the reason.

There was a very good candidate for MJD before she was ID'd, Michaela Garecht. Michaela's mother was bombarded by WS'ers asking her to look at the morgue photo, and she finally did God Bless her. She said it was not Michaela. There were many on the board that did not want to let it go, as was their right....they absolutely refused to believe it was NOT Michaela. For me personally, it was a lesson learned because although I did not think MJD was Michaela, I never ever wanted to be a part of putting someone through that if there was another approach available.

So I learned to be very, very persistent with LE. ;) That's just me.

I can tell you this much from my experience with BK-if you get a viable lead to FBI Bill, he will get back to you. If you give him something he has already seen, he may not.

OH-hold up-I think I have been very patient all day with this-in YOUR opinion the family was waffling...if they thought it was a real possibility do you honestly believe they would have left any stone unturned? Would you? And if you chose not to pursue it as a family, would you like to be forced into ruling it out because a bunch of strangers over the internet think that you should?

Read your own words, SS, it is serious for THEM.

Peace.
WOAH! This was the first day I had heard about any of that with Steve's family and I am sorry I have overstepped my boundaries!! I thought we were interested in truly finding out who this man was and you were the connection to all of that. I will let you continue on however you choose.

My suggestion was only to allow LE to pursue it!

WOAH! This was the first day I had heard about any of that with Steve's family and I am sorry I have overstepped my boundaries!! I thought you were interested in truly finding out who this man was and were the connection to all of that. I will let you continue on however you choose. My suggestion was to allow LE to pursue it!

Against my better judgment I will respond to this because I will not let anyone imply that I have no interest in finding out the identity of someone that I have spent more hours than I can remember searching for and many a late night phone call with- You are entitled to your opinion regarding Steve Dewey who has been very effectively ruled out, IMO and my opinion only.

WOAH! This was the first day I had heard about any of that with Steve's family and I am sorry I have overstepped my boundaries!! I thought we were interested in truly finding out who this man was and you were the connection to all of that. I will let you continue on however you choose.

My suggestion was only to allow LE to pursue it!
I mispoke on that post by accident and I changed it while you were quoting it. However, Mr. Dewey has not been effectively ruled out, imo. I would hate it terribly if a mistake were made at this juncture and BK missed an opportunity to find his true identity because it wasn't pursued by the right channels.

I feel badly for the Dewey family but I don't see anything but a fleeting similarity IMO. I have been studying BK's face for a long time now and I can just tell that even if "time" or trauma had somehow changed his appearance, they still are not the same man.

Did I miss something? What was it about the opinion I stated above made you think I was arguing with you? Or, that I believe BK is Steve (I dont). Was this post meant for someone else?

Did I miss something? What was it about the opinion I stated above made you think I was arguing with you? Or, that I believe BK is Steve (I dont). Was this post meant for someone else?

Yup my bad and tiredness....I combined two posts.

Ok - Douglas Meuller is still my first choice but.....there's something about this fellow too:

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/d/defoe_douglas.html

He may be too young to be Benjaman, but there are a lot of similarities. Just so little information to go on. I realize that the height is off, but I don't put too much stock in that! The biggest negative to me is that Douglas Defoe looks so, uh, angry, and Benjaman's face is so kind. :confused:

I mispoke on that post by accident and I changed it while you were quoting it. However, Mr. Dewey has not been effectively ruled out, imo. I would hate it terribly if a mistake were made at this juncture and BK missed an opportunity to find his true identity because it wasn't pursued by the right channels.

I agree with you even though I'm certain BK isn't Steve.

They should rule him out via dentals or DNA simply to give the family 100 percent closure. Otherwise if BK is never identified they will always wonder.

I did a search and did not see this guys name come up. I KNOW he is alittle young, compared to the age time frame, but his pic looks SO much like the younger pic of BK that Dr. Phil came out with last week. Is there any possibility that BK is younger?

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200604168S

This guy is interesting too-the photo is not clear, but he does have a similar nose:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/post_stanley.html

This guy has a similar nose and chin:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/humphrey_gary.html

I did a search and did not see this guys name come up. I KNOW he is alittle young, compared to the age time frame, but his pic looks SO much like the younger pic of BK that Dr. Phil came out with last week. Is there any possibility that BK is younger?

http://www.theyaremissed.org/ncma/gallery/ncmaprofile_all.php?A200604168S

This guy is interesting too-the photo is not clear, but he does have a similar nose:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/p/post_stanley.html

This guy has a similar nose and chin:
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/h/humphrey_gary.html

IMO - The first guy is listed as 6'2 inches tall which I think may be too tall (and since he was young when he went missing, I assume they probably had a pretty accurate height on him.)

The pictures are of such low quality on the other two that I can't make a determination.

O/T = Why are so many of the pictures such low quality? Surely if someone in my family went missing I could find a way to come up with a better quality picture than so many of the ones I have seen on some of these Missing Persons sites...even people who went missing not too long ago. Also, posting several pictures on these sites of missing people would be helpful....especially when looking at BK's photos....IMO he looks so different in each of them. Sorry about the rant!

IMO - The first guy is listed as 6'2 inches tall which I think may be too tall (and since he was young when he went missing, I assume they probably had a pretty accurate height on him.)

The pictures are of such low quality on the other two that I can't make a determination.

O/T = Why are so many of the pictures such low quality? Surely if someone in my family went missing I could find a way to come up with a better quality picture than so many of the ones I have seen on some of these Missing Persons sites...even people who went missing not too long ago. Also, posting several pictures on these sites of missing people would be helpful....especially when looking at BK's photos....IMO he looks so different in each of them. Sorry about the rant!

I don't know if I could say the same-the only reason why is that for example I am a single parent who lives and breathes my lovelies, but I do not stop and take pictures...it is just one of those things-camera is broken and life goes on LOL. Another theory of mine starts with the "front end" work on a missing person's case-what does LE ask for? A photo and a statement of circumstances around the disappearance...if there is no obvious sign of foul play, I think they hope the person especially an adult will eventually turn up. As time passes and based on the persistence of the family, I think then maybe multiple photos might be collected, hair, fingerprints, DNA. JMO...

My thinking on the height is that I had heard that as people age, they lose height. Does anyone know if that is true from an anthropological standpoint?

My thinking on the height is that I had heard that as people age, they lose height. Does anyone know if that is true from an anthropological standpoint?

Yes you can-the rule of thumb I use, FWIW, when going through these listings are if there are other compelling features, height is not necessarily a deal breaker if it is within a few inches because so many of the listings on Doe etc...contain some inaccurate information. They can be some one's best guess at the time.

For those who have not called in a match before::

If there are other things that make this a possible, the steps we take are to call the LE contact listed and explain that you are working for an online community that helps to locate the missing. You can ask if there are prints in AFIS, DNA in CODIS for the missing person and explain that you are trying to match him to an amnesia victim in GA. If there are NOT prints in AFIS or DNA in CODIS already, check for a print card. Ask if the detective has additional photos that show a better picture of the missing person; I have had detectives scan them and send them to me via email. Scars, tattoos or other holdback information is also good to check out.

If after you speak to the detective, nothing definitively rules the person out, you can give them FBI Bill's contact information as well as BK's DoeNetwork number and they can check in with him to see if their missing case is a likely match.

LE for the most part LOVES the help-they do not have time to run down every missing person in their files, so it helps to clear cases for them...you will find them receptive. I have never, ever had anyone give me a hard time!

Good luck and let us know!

I don't know if I could say the same-the only reason why is that for example I am a single parent who lives and breathes my lovelies, but I do not stop and take pictures...it is just one of those things-camera is broken and life goes on LOL. Another theory of mine starts with the "front end" work on a missing person's case-what does LE ask for? A photo and a statement of circumstances around the disappearance...if there is no obvious sign of foul play, I think they hope the person especially an adult will eventually turn up. As time passes and based on the persistence of the family, I think then maybe multiple photos might be collected, hair, fingerprints, DNA. JMO...

Seriously though....if your loved one went missing you could find a better picture than the one that is posted for the second link above, right? :eek:

So you think I should call these two in?

Yes you can-the rule of thumb I use, FWIW, when going through these listings are if there are other compelling features, height is not necessarily a deal breaker if it is within a few inches because so many of the listings on Doe etc...contain some inaccurate information. They can be some one's best guess at the time.

For those who have not called in a match before::

If there are other things that make this a possible, the steps we take are to call the LE contact listed and explain that you are working for an online community that helps to locate the missing. You can ask if there are prints in AFIS, DNA in CODIS for the missing person and explain that you are trying to match him to an amnesia victim in GA. If there are NOT prints in AFIS or DNA in CODIS already, check for a print card. Ask if the detective has additional photos that show a better picture of the missing person; I have had detectives scan them and send them to me via email. Scars, tattoos or other holdback information is also good to check out.

If after you speak to the detective, nothing definitively rules the person out, you can give them FBI Bill's contact information as well as BK's DoeNetwork number and they can check in with him to see if their missing case is a likely match.

LE for the most part LOVES the help-they do not have time to run down every missing person in their files, so it helps to clear cases for them...you will find them receptive. I have never, ever had anyone give me a hard time!

Good luck and let us know!

So you think I should call these two in?

Sure! Keep us posted!

BTW, if the files do not indicate that the missing person has DNA on file in CODIS and LE would like to get it entered, let me know and I will get a free kit out to the agency through the DOJ initiative...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member