CA - 13 victims, ages 2 to 29, shackled in home by parents, Perris, 15 Jan 2018 #13

The social services system “failed" 13 children who were rescued after being starved, shackled and horribly abused by their parents.....

Some of the Turpin children of Riverside County, east of Los Angeles, were forced to live with people who were later charged with child abuse and some of the adult siblings struggled to get money for housing and food......

The report will be publicly presented to the county Board of Supervisors on July 12.

The report, which summarized findings of a months-long investigation, concluded that the county’s social services system was short-staffed and underfunded, leaving workers struggling with high caseloads that made it hard to ensure safety and care “for our most vulnerable populations.” It made several reform recommendations.

..... the law firm hired to investigate Riverside County's care of the Turpins concluded that the Public Guardian's office — which looked after the adult siblings — didn't do enough to obtain and distribute "a significant amount" of those donations, which exceed $1.2 million.

The social services system “failed" 13 children who were rescued after being starved, shackled and horribly abused by their parents.....

Some of the Turpin children of Riverside County, east of Los Angeles, were forced to live with people who were later charged with child abuse and some of the adult siblings struggled to get money for housing and food......

The report will be publicly presented to the county Board of Supervisors on July 12.

The report, which summarized findings of a months-long investigation, concluded that the county’s social services system was short-staffed and underfunded, leaving workers struggling with high caseloads that made it hard to ensure safety and care “for our most vulnerable populations.” It made several reform recommendations.
That's a pretty thin-on-details story because it:

1) Mostly restates what is already publicly known,

2) Offers no plan for righting the wrongs (such as lack of access to 11 million in donated funds),

and

3) Says nothing about how the failures, which are criminally aggregious, will be eliminated going forward.

I thought the report would offer each of the 12 who are "in the system" hope for the future. I wanted to know the care status of the youngest, who was a toddler when removed from the home.

FOUR YEARS of failure to protect each of these very vulnerable people whose lives were greatly harmed by prior abuse is a crime in itself.

The system that contributed to it should not be the one in charge of their futures.

Maybe we will learn more July 12 when the board receives the findings.

I will never be satisfied until I know each of the 12 (13?) individuals have a detailed plan to meet their properly evaluated & specific needs.

MOO

That's a pretty thin-on-details story because it:

1) Mostly restates what is already publicly known,

2) Offers no plan for righting the wrongs (such as lack of access to 11 million in donated funds),

and

3) Says nothing about how the failures, which are criminally aggregious, will be eliminated going forward.

I thought the report would offer each of the 12 who are "in the system" hope for the future. I wanted to know the care status of the youngest, who was a toddler when removed from the home.

FOUR YEARS of failure to protect each of these very vulnerable people whose lives were greatly harmed by prior abuse is a crime in itself.

The system that contributed to it should not be the one in charge of their futures.

Maybe we will learn more July 12 when the board receives the findings.

I will never be satisfied until I know each of the 12 (13?) individuals have a detailed plan to meet their properly evaluated & specific needs.

MOO
Correction: $1 million in donated funds (too late to correct my original post)

Every time I see a new post in this thread, I brace myself for anger. I simply cannot and never will understand!!! We see horrible things every day on websleuths. But these kids were saved! They were rescued from the most disgusting treatment. And then..... dare i say, even treated worse. No excuses!!!! No money or staff?? People donated over a million dollars to help them!!! If not now, then when. If you were not able to keep the most high profile case safe, the other kids who are "helped" are absolutely doomed.

All I can say is this.... the second I find out someone is mistreated, I am instantly protective and overly invested in checking in and making g sure they are ok. Not because of payment but because humans deserve to be treated with value, especially children. How in the absolute world can someone apply for a job to protect kids. Get paid to protect kids. Have a reeeeeally awful case of abuse! And then they do not feel really compelled to make sure they get everything they should and more.in life? I just cannot understand the lack of urgency or empathy or protectiveness. I cannot. These children have no reason to ever trust anyone again in their whole lives. I hope they do find a way to find good, helpful, kind, positive people because they have been served a really awful life, so far.

Not everyone is a horrible monster, sweet kids. I hope you each find one person you can trust and have such beautiful days for the rest of your lives. I am so sorry you were not treated like you were valuable. Because you really are!!

I just realized the story linked above by @PayrollNerd has a link in it to the actual 600+ page report. You can also find the report here: https://rivcoca.com/sites/default/files/Attachment - Larson LLP Report PUBLIC.pdf

From p. 15-16:

Our analysis of the unsealed court records reflects three key findings:
  1. The Designated Firm was appointed as counsel for all seven of the Turpin adult children. The unsealed court records establish that the firm vigorously and effectively advocated for the Turpin siblings in court. The Designated Firm’s commitment to providing full- service legal representation of the Turpin siblings is commendable. However, the unsealed records show that there were heated conflicts between appointed counsel, County Counsel (advocating for the Office of Public Guardian), and the Riverside County District Attorney (who was prosecuting the Turpin parents) over both the nature and scope of the Designated Firm’s representation and about confidential meetings with the siblings.
    Despite the Designated Firm rightly protecting its clients’ constitutional rights and interests, the conflicting legal positions advanced by the Designated Firm, the District Attorney, and County Counsel caused prolonged acrimony and may have interfered with the development of trusting and confidential attorney-client relationships, especially given the Turpins’ vulnerability and lack of experience with the legal system.
  2. A review of the unsealed accountings that were filed reflect that the adults received Supplemental Security Income, which was deposited into the conservatorship estates. Additionally, approximately $30,000 per person was transferred to the Special Needs Trusts for each of the siblings. Although we have not found that any of these funds were improperly spent, we are concerned that County Counsel filed every required accounting for both the conservatorship estates and the Special Needs Trusts late— often years past the due date. Timely filing of accountings is a key component of the Office of Public Guardian’s fiduciary duty as conservator and trustee. If the filings are late, transparency and accountability to the Court are impaired.
  3. The unsealed records indicate that there remains a significant amount of money that was donated for the benefit of the Turpin siblings, but which the Office of Public Guardian has not marshaled and distributed. Specifically, the records indicate that over $209,000 was donated to the City of Corona Chamber of Commerce, the balance of which is now managed by SAFE Family Justice Center. The records also indicate that the JAYC Foundation holds approximately $1,000,000. It is not entirely clear why the Office
    of Public Guardian did not seek to obtain and distribute these funds until recently.
    According to an unsealed filing by the Turpins’ court-appointed attorney, the Office of Public Guardian previously claimed that it did not have the duty or ability to marshal these funds. Regardless of the reasoning, the Office of Public Guardian’s failure to marshal these funds has resulted in the lack of Court oversight for the SAFE Family Justice and JAYC Foundation funds, and may have resulted in food and housing insecurity for at least some of the Turpin siblings, in direct contravention of the donors’ wishes."
Details on the late filings are on p. 277-278.

11. OPG Accountability in Management of the Turpin Estates a. Estate Accountings
As fiduciary for the estates of the five temporarily and two permanently conserved Turpin siblings, OPG had a duty to file timely accountings with the Court detailing all funds collected and expended on behalf of the siblings within one year of the establishment of the conservatorship of the estate. Under the California Probate Code, the first accounting was due after the first year of the conservatorship and every two years thereafter.
i. Five Temporarily Conserved Turpin Adults
For the five Turpins whose conservatorships were terminated, a one-year first accounting was due in January 2019 (a year after establishment of the conservatorships). Moreover, final accountings for all five terminated conservatorships were due in December 2019 at the date of termination.
However, for four of these five conservatees, OPG only filed a “First and Final Accounting” on October 8, 2020 (approximately 21 months after the first accounting was due and 10 months after the final accounting was due).
For the remaining conservatee, OPG filed a First Accounting on February 15, 2021 (over two years late) and a Final Accounting on September 28, 2021 (over 21 months late).

Beginning in 2019, the Court overseeing the conservatorships issued an Order to Show Cause to County Counsel asking for an explanation of why such accountings were not filed within the time limits set by the Probate Code.
As noted previously, the deputy public guardian we interviewed stated that she sent several accountings to County Counsel for approval and transmission to the Court in a timely manner, but that County Counsel repeatedly lost them, contributing to an improper delay.
ii. Two Permanently Conserved Turpin Adults
Permanent conservatorships were established for two of the Turpin adults in April 2019. The first accounting for both of these estate trusts was therefore due in April 2020. However, no accounting was filed for either one until January 2021 (approximately 9 months late).
b. Special Needs Trust Accountings for All Seven Turpin Adults
OPG was appointed Trustee of the Special Needs Trusts that were established in April 2019 for the benefit of all seven adult Turpin siblings. These Special Needs Trusts also required that timely accounting statements be filed. The Trusts were established in June 2019. The Court ordered that the first accounting be filed on August 24, 2020. In November 2021, the Special Needs Trusts accountings had still not been filed, and thus the Court issued an Order to Show Cause to County Counsel and OPG and set a hearing for January 7, 2022. On January 6, 2022 the accountings were filed, and the Court on its own motion continued the hearing to February 2, 2022. These accountings cover the period June 24, 2019 through January 4, 2022 and thus there was a two and a half year period of time during which there was no Court oversight over the Special Needs Trusts.

Last edited:

Riverside County officials were confronted Tuesday by irate residents after investigators outlined numerous ways that the county failed to provide appropriate care for the 13 Turpin siblings following their 2018 rescue from their parents' California home where they had been subjected to abuse and deprived of food, sleep, hygiene, education, and health care.

Riverside County officials were confronted Tuesday by irate residents after investigators outlined numerous ways that the county failed to provide appropriate care for the 13 Turpin siblings following their 2018 rescue from their parents' California home where they had been subjected to abuse and deprived of food, sleep, hygiene, education, and health care.

Absent from the LarsonLLP report (and, AFAIK, the news reporting on the report) is any explicit acknowledgment that it was one of the Foster Family Agencies (to which Riverside County has outsourced all of its placements for children/youth in the system) which is responsible for placing some of the youngest siblings with a family that included one previously-criminally-charged individual!

Absent from the LarsonLLP report (and, AFAIK, the news reporting on the report) is any explicit acknowledgment that it was one of the Foster Family Agencies (to which Riverside County has outsourced all of its placements for children/youth in the system) which is responsible for placing some of the youngest siblings with a family that included one previously-criminally-charged individual!
BBM
Who is that person (if public information)?
Thanks!

I just realized the story linked above by @PayrollNerd has a link in it to the actual 600+ page report. You can also find the report here: https://rivcoca.com/sites/default/files/Attachment - Larson LLP Report PUBLIC.pdf

From p. 15-16:

Our analysis of the unsealed court records reflects three key findings:
  1. The Designated Firm was appointed as counsel for all seven of the Turpin adult children. The unsealed court records establish that the firm vigorously and effectively advocated for the Turpin siblings in court. The Designated Firm’s commitment to providing full- service legal representation of the Turpin siblings is commendable. However, the unsealed records show that there were heated conflicts between appointed counsel, County Counsel (advocating for the Office of Public Guardian), and the Riverside County District Attorney (who was prosecuting the Turpin parents) over both the nature and scope of the Designated Firm’s representation and about confidential meetings with the siblings.
    Despite the Designated Firm rightly protecting its clients’ constitutional rights and interests, the conflicting legal positions advanced by the Designated Firm, the District Attorney, and County Counsel caused prolonged acrimony and may have interfered with the development of trusting and confidential attorney-client relationships, especially given the Turpins’ vulnerability and lack of experience with the legal system.
  2. A review of the unsealed accountings that were filed reflect that the adults received Supplemental Security Income, which was deposited into the conservatorship estates. Additionally, approximately $30,000 per person was transferred to the Special Needs Trusts for each of the siblings. Although we have not found that any of these funds were improperly spent, we are concerned that County Counsel filed every required accounting for both the conservatorship estates and the Special Needs Trusts late— often years past the due date. Timely filing of accountings is a key component of the Office of Public Guardian’s fiduciary duty as conservator and trustee. If the filings are late, transparency and accountability to the Court are impaired.
  3. The unsealed records indicate that there remains a significant amount of money that was donated for the benefit of the Turpin siblings, but which the Office of Public Guardian has not marshaled and distributed. Specifically, the records indicate that over $209,000 was donated to the City of Corona Chamber of Commerce, the balance of which is now managed by SAFE Family Justice Center. The records also indicate that the JAYC Foundation holds approximately $1,000,000. It is not entirely clear why the Office
    of Public Guardian did not seek to obtain and distribute these funds until recently.
    According to an unsealed filing by the Turpins’ court-appointed attorney, the Office of Public Guardian previously claimed that it did not have the duty or ability to marshal these funds. Regardless of the reasoning, the Office of Public Guardian’s failure to marshal these funds has resulted in the lack of Court oversight for the SAFE Family Justice and JAYC Foundation funds, and may have resulted in food and housing insecurity for at least some of the Turpin siblings, in direct contravention of the donors’ wishes."
Details on the late filings are on p. 277-278.

11. OPG Accountability in Management of the Turpin Estates a. Estate Accountings
As fiduciary for the estates of the five temporarily and two permanently conserved Turpin siblings, OPG had a duty to file timely accountings with the Court detailing all funds collected and expended on behalf of the siblings within one year of the establishment of the conservatorship of the estate. Under the California Probate Code, the first accounting was due after the first year of the conservatorship and every two years thereafter.
i. Five Temporarily Conserved Turpin Adults
For the five Turpins whose conservatorships were terminated, a one-year first accounting was due in January 2019 (a year after establishment of the conservatorships). Moreover, final accountings for all five terminated conservatorships were due in December 2019 at the date of termination.
However, for four of these five conservatees, OPG only filed a “First and Final Accounting” on October 8, 2020 (approximately 21 months after the first accounting was due and 10 months after the final accounting was due).
For the remaining conservatee, OPG filed a First Accounting on February 15, 2021 (over two years late) and a Final Accounting on September 28, 2021 (over 21 months late).

Beginning in 2019, the Court overseeing the conservatorships issued an Order to Show Cause to County Counsel asking for an explanation of why such accountings were not filed within the time limits set by the Probate Code.
As noted previously, the deputy public guardian we interviewed stated that she sent several accountings to County Counsel for approval and transmission to the Court in a timely manner, but that County Counsel repeatedly lost them, contributing to an improper delay.
ii. Two Permanently Conserved Turpin Adults
Permanent conservatorships were established for two of the Turpin adults in April 2019. The first accounting for both of these estate trusts was therefore due in April 2020. However, no accounting was filed for either one until January 2021 (approximately 9 months late).
b. Special Needs Trust Accountings for All Seven Turpin Adults
OPG was appointed Trustee of the Special Needs Trusts that were established in April 2019 for the benefit of all seven adult Turpin siblings. These Special Needs Trusts also required that timely accounting statements be filed. The Trusts were established in June 2019. The Court ordered that the first accounting be filed on August 24, 2020. In November 2021, the Special Needs Trusts accountings had still not been filed, and thus the Court issued an Order to Show Cause to County Counsel and OPG and set a hearing for January 7, 2022. On January 6, 2022 the accountings were filed, and the Court on its own motion continued the hearing to February 2, 2022. These accountings cover the period June 24, 2019 through January 4, 2022 and thus there was a two and a half year period of time during which there was no Court oversight over the Special Needs Trusts.
Trust accountings are very important to know the financial needs of the children are being met. Do we know if the filings, while late, demonstrated that? Is there an assumption that the late folings were to avoid accountability?

My ongoing concern is that each individual has no personal evaluation of needs & care plan, AFAIK. Maybe the two with Special Needs Trusts do?

Confirming the welfare of the youngest, who I believe was adopted, is important also.

Looking at the unredacted parts of the report released by former Judge Larson, I am now aware the public will never know anything about the individual welfare of the 13 except what they themselves personally release or unless court records pertaining to any of their foster care abusers are public.

Individual names could be redacted & some information released and should be, IMO.

How many times has Riverside County failed children? It's well known for it's ongoing inability to protect society's most vulverable.

And yet Larson spent months compliling a report (delivered late) reiterating what are probably 99% known faults with prior correction plans that have changed NOTHING.

With $1M in donations and a country of charitable citizens eager to help each of these abused and neglected adults and children, money would be better spent getting the adults out of the system and placing the children in a well-supervised and top-rated group home with stringent oversight.

If we here more about failure and abuse from these siblings in the future, Larson personally should be held responsible for anything they suffered from the time he was assigned forward.

Every attorney involved in oversight from the beginning should have their bar status reviewed. Failure to lay awake at night and worry about the welfare of the Turpins to a degree that motivates concern and action is on their heads.

MOO

Looking at the unredacted parts of the report released by former Judge Larson, I am now aware the public will never know anything about the individual welfare of the 13 except what they themselves personally release or unless court records pertaining to any of their foster care abusers are public.

Individual names could be redacted & some information released and should be, IMO.

How many times has Riverside County failed children? It's well known for it's ongoing inability to protect society's most vulverable.

And yet Larson spent months compliling a report (delivered late) reiterating what are probably 99% known faults with prior correction plans that have changed NOTHING.

With $1M in donations and a country of charitable citizens eager to help each of these abused and neglected adults and children, money would be better spent getting the adults out of the system and placing the children in a well-supervised and top-rated group home with stringent oversight.

If we hear more about failure and abuse from these siblings in the future, Larson personally should be held responsible for anything they suffered from the time he was assigned forward.

Every attorney involved in oversight from the beginning should have their bar status reviewed. Failure to lay awake at night and worry about the welfare of the Turpins to a degree that motivates concern and action is on their heads.

No need to say it, but I am appalled. And angry.

MOO

This doesn't surprise me in the least. What is not shared, is that employees are routinely bullied by management and favoritism is routine. The job just isn't worth it.

Yet, it is allowed to flourish, because even with numerous reports of poor management, the upper management is never held accountable for the failures, low employee morale and low retention. People don't leave jobs, they leave supervisors.

Not surprising at all.

Six of the 13 Turpin siblings who were rescued in 2018 from a life of captivity in their parents' Perris, California, home have filed a lawsuit against Riverside County and the private foster care agency tasked with protecting them, alleging they suffered "severe abuse and neglect" for years in foster care after their rescue.

The younger Turpin siblings say they were the victims of physical, emotional, and sexual abuse by a foster family they were placed with after they were rescued by law enforcement in 2018, according to two lawsuits filed electronically overnight in a California court by the six youngest Turpin siblings. In their legal complaints, the children also allege that the officials charged with overseeing their care "failed to report" the "severe" abuse and neglect when warned of it.

"The county has oversight over ChildNet. In fact they are required to check in with these children that the county placed with ChildNet," Zektser added.

"This case is one where the entire world was watching," Booth said. "And yet, even in that situation, the county and ChildNet dropped the ball, which tells you, I think pretty clearly, what must be happening, and what we've seen happen in other cases with kids who aren't famous, who are -- whose cases are not high-profile, who nobody knows about."
Turpin siblings file lawsuit alleging 'severe abuse' in foster care after 2018 rescue

Horrible. the BBM says we we are all thinking. If this can happen literally right in front of the world's eyes as in this case, what is happening in the dark corners? Those thousands of cases the public has never heard of? We have to do better. The system must be dismantled completely and rebuilt - this one is beyond repair. MOO

"The county has oversight over ChildNet. In fact they are required to check in with these children that the county placed with ChildNet," Zektser added.

"This case is one where the entire world was watching," Booth said. "And yet, even in that situation, the county and ChildNet dropped the ball, which tells you, I think pretty clearly, what must be happening, and what we've seen happen in other cases with kids who aren't famous, who are -- whose cases are not high-profile, who nobody knows about."
Turpin siblings file lawsuit alleging 'severe abuse' in foster care after 2018 rescue

Horrible. the BBM says we we are all thinking. If this can happen literally right in front of the world's eyes as in this case, what is happening in the dark corners? Those thousands of cases the public has never heard of? We have to do better. The system must be dismantled completely and rebuilt - this one is beyond repair. MOO
Outsourcing child placement? Where is the accountability? That's right. There is none because the county just "makes the problem go away" until & if a legal case re: abuse is opened. And minors who are among our most vulnerable can't sue so they suffer, run away, etc.

Any company paid to place children is likely to place profit over proper vetting of foster parents & proper oversight after placement.

I want to hear someone prove me wrong.

Suing Riverside is a start. Implementing changes recommended in the report is a start. Firing a company that is culpable for criminality in vetting of foster homes & lack of oversight is a start.

The problem is these are very limited remedies to systems that need to be dismantled & re-thought completely.

So many good points made in this thread. But the fundamental changes needed cannot be implemented in the existing system because it has failed so utterly the children it places. They have basically been auctioned off to the lowest bidder. It's a moral and criminal disgrace and shame.

There are answers. But is there courage to implement them? I have serious doubts. We are where we are for that reason.

JMO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deluhg01
Back