CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am always suspicious when I hear that someones phone was left behind. If she was meeting up with someone she knew or even someone she didnt know bringing along a phone to say ok, I'm here or I'm running late makes more sense to me. These days people bring their phones with them to the bathroom fgs. LOL
She may have left it on purpose so she couldn't be traced. You can always buy a cheap phone here and buy minute cards.

I think it is safe to say that she is not chopping lettuce with a bunch of Mexicans Farm workers. From what I gather, her university was in session and she was AWOL. Sounds like she was dropping out. Perhaps rather than just tell her parents, she pulls a disappearing act.

I think there is a long tradition in Canada of heading down to the States to "start over". Immigration isn't as easy as it used to be but they manage. California and Florida seem to be primary destination because of the weather. There is also a large Chinese/Cantonese community that she could link up with in the greater LA area.

There is, of course, the possibility that she has befallen victim to a crime, but if she was dropping out of the University in defiance of her parents expectations, there is a good chance she is an "adult runaway".

Sexual predators who abduct and murder women rarely go to great lengths to conceal the victim's body unless they have ties to that victim or can otherwise be linked. The longer she remains missing, the more likely she is OK.

Alternatively, the longer she is missing, the longer she is being abused as a sex slave.

Just because she is missing doesn't mean she is safe.

Most likely the opposite.

every missing person case I follow sex slave comes up. Have we ever actually found someone who went missing who was a victim of being a sex slave? tia

Alternatively, the longer she is missing, the longer she is being abused as a sex slave.

Just because she is missing doesn't mean she is safe.

Most likely the opposite.
Yes, I hope she didn't meet some bad person online that promised her a job, then it turns out to be something terrible. Hope she is okay and will contact her parents, even if she sends an email from a library. It is not fair to make her family worry.

"Have we ever actually found someone who went missing who was a victim of being a sex slave?"

What an amazing, even stunning question/statement.

Why do you think women are abducted?

For their computer skills?

For their housecleaning abilities?

Have you heard of Jaycee Lee Dugard?

Kristen French?

Have you heard of human trafficking?

"Human trafficking is the illegal trade of human beings mainly for the purposes of commercial sexual exploitation"

"Have we ever actually found someone who went missing who was a victim of being a sex slave?"

What an amazing, even stunning question/statement.

Why do you think women are abducted?

For their computer skills?

For their housecleaning abilities?

Have you heard of Jaycee Lee Dugard?

Kristen French?

Have you heard of human trafficking?

"Human trafficking is the illegal trade of human beings mainly for the purposes of commercial sexual exploitation"

Great points. :)

Human trafficking can mean a lot of things. Somehow the term seems to conger up the image of a young woman snatched off the street and sold into some kind of forced prostitution. I have never heard of such a thing happening in the West. See:http://www.unodc.org/unodc/en/human-trafficking/what-is-human-trafficking.html. Most (if not all of the cases I have ever heard of involve women from less developed countries brought to the West for Sex work (or perhaps domestic work) and they do not feel free to leave. If anyone is aware of a young woman who was forced into a human trafficking situation after having been "snatched and grabbed", please share the information .

I am not aware that "Sexual Slavery" has any legal meaning. Obviously it suggests someone being held against there will and sexually exploited. Probably victims of sexual predators who are kept alive for any period of time might be regarded as "sexual slaves". It would be accurate to say that Jaycee Lee Dugard and Kristen French were held as "sexual Slaves" but their cases had nothing to do with "human Trafficking"; there was no "trafficking".

every missing person case I follow sex slave comes up. Have we ever actually found someone who went missing who was a victim of being a sex slave? tia

Amy Bradley? Of course, we don't know for sure.

California

The California Legislature defined human trafficking as "all acts involved in the recruitment, abduction, transport, harboring, transfer, sale or receipt of persons, within national or across international borders, through force, coercion, fraud or deception, to place persons in situations of slavery or slavery-like conditions, forced labor or services, such as forced prostitution or sexual services, domestic servitude, bonded sweatshop labor, or other debt bondage."

As codified in the California Penal Code, anyone who "deprives or violates the personal liberty of another with the intent . . . to obtain forced labor or services" is guilty of human trafficking. Depriving or violating a person's liberty includes "substantial and sustained restriction of another's liberty accomplished through fraud, deceit, coercion, violence, duress, menace, or threat of unlawful injury to the victim or to another person, under circumstances where the person receiving or apprehending the threat reasonably believes that it is likely that the person making the threat would carry it out."

Forced labor or services include "labor or services that are performed or provided by a person and are obtained or maintained through force, fraud, or coercion, or equivalent conduct that would reasonably overbear the will of the person."

http://oag.ca.gov/human-trafficking/what-is

I sure hope Elisa is found alive and well. It doesn't sound good to me that she left her phone in her room unless she wanted to disappear intentionally. I find it scary that women travel alone and even stay in places where they have to leave their room and go down the hall of the hotel to use the bathroom. How easy it would be for someone to grab a woman out of the hall during the night while she was on her way to the bathroom. And its scary that women alone stay in such dangerous parts of town too.
I can't even imagine traveling anywhere alone but I guess that's just me.

I wonder who she was trying to avoid

It appears that she is either playing games with someone or she has had some kind of a mental health problem. Or she is hiding from someone and trying to get out of the hotel without being seen. It sure is a strange case.

It appears that she is either playing games with someone or she has had some kind of a mental health problem. Or she is hiding from someone and trying to get out of the hotel without being seen. It sure is a strange case.
What did the video show? I could not see it on my old computer.

What on earth? That is a strange, strange video. Especially when she does the hand motions around 2 minutes in...is she hallucinating?
And Homicide Detectives are investigating?

What did the video show? I could not see it on my old computer.

It's about 3 minutes long. She is going in and out of the elevator, pressing the buttons towards the bottom of the panel over and over again. At one point she starts gesticulating and doing something with her hands and appears to be talking, but my version didn't have sound. She jumps quickly in and out of the elevator a few times, almost like she's trying to catch someone looking at her??

It's very bizarre and quite unsettling.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member