CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found this FB page and assumed it was hers due to the photo being used in media reports.
http://www.facebook.com/people/Lam-Elisa/100005340091237

<modsnip>

She has only one friend on there, and in the background of his profile picture is the face of an asian girl? Could it be her? It startled me. I realize some sick people will make profiles up to bring attention to themselves for some reason, but this is just really odd.
Hmmm there is a guy by that name in the San Diego area according to LinkedIn site. Might be a totally different guy but maybe the FB page was to be some clue anonymously to point in a certain direction?

Heart failure, although she was way too young for that. I have seen it with the elderly. When the heart is failing, they do not get enough oxygen to the brain and act really bizarre and sometimes very combative towards others.

Also, possibly blood sugar issues.

There was a case on Unsolved Mysteries of a truck driver who ended up driving into the woods and wedging his truck between 2 trees and their best guess was diabetic shock. He was seen acting loopy and then vanished. (They eventually found his remains.)

Thank you Fred and Edna for directing me to this thread. I just started reading #2 can anyone direct me to #1? I did watch the video once and my first impression was sleepwalking/ambien use. Even before I read some of the other interpretations. Admittedly I have alot of reading to do but I just wanted to record my first impression, it's subject to change. ;)

Was there a ladder of sorts to scale the water tank? Any pictures of said water tank available?

Yay! I'm glad you're here, but I have this feeling after reading the history you just might punch me in the nose... it's a VERY puzzling and sad case

PS... I sent you a message with links

Wondering about those water tanks and superstition ...

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2010/05/25/police_identify_body_in_the_barrel.html
By:peter EdwardsStaff Reporter, Published on Tue May 25 2010

"In the words of his old associates, Greater Toronto Area mobster Quang Lu was &#8220;planted lotus.&#8221;

That refers to the Asian gangland practice of murdering someone, then dropping the body at the bottom of a deep body of water, far from the light of day.

Lu, 47 &#8212; his nicknames included &#8220;The Black Ghost&#8221; and &#8220;The Bad Luck Guy&#8221; &#8212; was found encased in concrete in a barrel by police divers on Sunday in the waters of Lake Ontario off Queens Quay E. near the foot of Jarvis St.

Snip

"Superstitious mobsters, of whom there are many, sometimes like their victims&#8217; bodies to be sealed in concrete and barrels because they believe their spirits can&#8217;t get out and avenge them.

After the body is placed in a barrel, concrete powder is inserted. The powder mixes with water and hardens as the body is dropped into water, sealing the body in the barrel and anchoring it under the waves."

Very interesting post about the prescriptions, wow! I thought she was casually passing herself off as having disorders. This makes a lot make more sense to me. Maybe she did stop taking these pills which may have led to odd behavior and even going off the radar, and eventually something bad did happen to her. This would lead her behavior to go awry and somebody took advantage of that. If she said on the Tumblr that she was drinking ( think I saw that, or going for a drink, also Varish (SPEAKEASY) is a bar with very strong cocktails) would that mix well with those drugs? don't think so..

I don't think that she put herself in the tank, still, though.

I've been considering anti-depressants, but I think all I need is a new neighborhood and to move from DTLA (Crappy joke, but true)

<rsbm>

Hey, did I dream this up? I though I read earlier about someone discovering a peep hole in one of the washrooms at one time. I could be wrong, and it might be another case i'm thinking of.

Anyone?

I read it too! It was this case and was back in the first thread when reviews of the Cecil were being posted. It is info from one of the reviews.

Very interesting post about the prescriptions, wow! I thought she was casually passing herself off as having disorders. This makes a lot make more sense to me. Maybe she did stop taking these pills which may have led to odd behavior and even going off the radar, and eventually something bad did happen to her. This would lead her behavior to go awry and somebody took advantage of that. If she said on the Tumblr that she was drinking ( think I saw that, or going for a drink, also Varish (SPEAKEASY) is a bar with very strong cocktails) would that mix well with those drugs? don't think so..

I don't think that she put herself in the tank, still, though.

I've been considering anti-depressants, but I think all I need is a new neighborhood and to move from DTLA (Crappy joke, but true)

Yeah, she did talk about going out to a bar in her posts from CA, not sure if it was from LA or SD though, but it wasn't the night of the 31st. It's only natural for someone visiting a big city for the first time, especially LA, to want to go out and experience the nightlife. But the question of what she did that night is still just speculation.

Speaking with some medical knowledge (but not yet a degree), it definitely would not be recommended to drink while taking that combo of meds, or even any of them singly, particularly the lamotrigine (Lamictal). She was taking the combination for months apparently, so whether she stopped taking her meds before/during the trip or whether she overdosed that night on her prescriptions are also possible but also pure speculation at this point. It can't even be said for sure whether she was still prescribed all of them in Jan 2013, but I'm sure it's something the police already have a good hold on, and if the bottles were left in the room it would give them even more info on how much she did/didn't take.

You're right this all still doesn't help very much with the most troubling question of how she wound up in the tank.

I have a hard time believing she went to the roof by herself. The last time she was seen (on camera, at least), she didn't have her glasses on and was in an altered state. She did not look to be capable of climbing up a ladder/to a roof on her own. I'd be really surprised if the chain of events wasn't -> taken something that interacted badly with meds/was in a bad mental state -> found by some , was an easy target.

It's so tragic and frustrating and I think that's why I keep coming back here. She was a bright girl with obviously a lot of passion to contribute to the world, I want to see whatever it was that ended her life brought to justice. If by some remote chance it was her mental illness that led to her death, I would like to see a world that does not stigmatize the mentally ill, and a world with a cure for it. Not that any victim of any of these crimes is less of a loss; every case here is such a tragedy. I just hate that there is evil in this world, and it makes me want to go into law enforcement.

I suggest we ask as many questions as possible, ask on youtube and on the travel websites, find out as much as possible about the hotel layouts, levels, Stay vs Cecil. It would appear that, at least in the video, she is on a Cecil level though I'm not even sure of that. I'm drawing up a rough idea of the layout based on videos and pictures.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

The above post states that it was from 9 months ago on the right-hand side.

It's just how she designed her tumblr, some layouts actually have the date and time on the post, but I guess hers just tells you many months ago it was.

You can see the actual date if you browse the posts through "archive" at the top. She has a lot of reblogs and random things that aren't actually posts though.

Hi everyone,

I've been following this case on Websleuths for the last couple of days and finally took the courage to register an account to discuss more. Please pardon me if I go wrong somewhere.

First off, I am an Asian (Chinese), I eat/live/sleep Chinese... And no, we do not have Asian/Chinese dance moves like how EL moved on camera as some suggested. In fact, according to our Chinese beliefs, EL looked more like she was 'possessed' than dancing. But of course, we'll live the supernatural 'possibility' aside for now.

Now... The main reason why I felt the need to join in the discussion was because I saw that a few of you lovely people didn't seem to put into the discussion of the way the corridors were laid out. Please allow me to quote 2 videos which I've found on Youtube for my post. (1st video earlier quoted on thread#1 by another)

First video: Stay Hotel Downtown Los Angeles CA - YouTube
Uploaded: 4th Dec 2011.

Tour of a 'Stay Hotel' whose corridors bears striking resemblance to that of Cecil Hotel. We may or may not conclude that these places share the same corridor mapping/building structure... Some might think that Stay Hotel is Cecil Hotel, but I beg to differ because Stay Hotel using CARD system for their showers... whereas Cecil doesn't.

Second video: Tour of the Cecil hotel: The BEST hotel in downtown Los Angeles. - YouTube
Uploaded: 4th July 2012.

Tour of Cecil Hotel itself by 2 young guys who actually stayed on the 14TH floor.

Sub-conclusive facts we can get from this video.
1: From the 2nd video, we can see that the walls were of a different color. Unless Cecil hotel had their walls repainted, we can conclude that Elisa wasn't on the 14th floor as many suggested earlier.

2: Elisa was definitely on the right lift. Because these guys were on the left lift when they were heading up, with the floor buttons located on the left side of the lift instead of right (what was on EL's video)

3: There is a shower room and 2 toilets to the right of the lift. So if Elisa WAS indeed talking to anyone that night... That person could using or standing at the shower/toilet (which might explain why that person wasn't seen walking PAST the lift after Elisa walked off)

4: There are rooms on BOTH sides of the lift and there may be a kitchen on the left and an EXIT door right next to the kitchen.

IMHO, I feel that she was under some kinda of substance influence or suffering from a mental problem. If we were to recall her video, the 2nd time she went back into the lift.. She was pressing the buttons repeatedly down the middle row top to bottom top to bottom. A person who is in stress and fear wouldn't do that... they'd be pounding on the buttons, frantically trying to figure out which button closes the door WHILE looking out of the lift for the perpetrator. EL wasn't even looking at the door... She was just staring into the buttons like almost dazed...going top button to bottom button... for 3 times.

I'm inclined on the fact that someone who works at Cecil Hotel spotted her being delusional and disoriented and thus took advantage of her.

As a Chinese with deep superstitions... My roots will say she was possessed and finished off... supernaturally.

RIP Elisa. Justice will prevail~!

Second this. This eccentric case draws me to the forum. I once believed that it was floor 14 but judging from the 2nd video I don't think she was in floor 14 when caught on surveillance camera. The 2nd video was made in mid 2012 which is not too far from now. I know some elevators won't go to within one or two floor range from where you steps in, If that's the case, the face that when she pushes floor 14 the light on the control panel went up and down immediately seems to suggest that she was in a floor close to 14.

I have been watching this (and the previous) thread in the last couple of days and appreciate all the meticulous thoughts. My 2 cents: I really don't think there's anyone outside the lift or she is talking/interacting with anyone. When she stepped out the elevator, she faced the mirror for a while and then started those peculiar gestures. The fact that she is talking jubilantly with the owner of a bookstore and buying souvenirs that same day and then acting so erratic in the footage is really unsettling. Especially when one is supposed to be checking out and leaving the city in a few hours, one would be cautious with alcohol or drug dosage. If there's no fatal trauma and the toxicology report shows she's not drugged, there is something really off happening that may be beyond reasonable explanation. As a Chinese I know it's hard for an immigrant family to raise up a daughter. My deepest thoughts to her parents and loved ones.

Could she have run out of her meds, or suddenly stopped taking them? What would be the effects of this?

It's just how she designed her tumblr, some layouts actually have the date and time on the post, but I guess hers just tells you many months ago it was.

You can see the actual date if you browse the posts through "archive" at the top. She has a lot of reblogs and random things that aren't actually posts though.

It seems you can tell reblogs from actual posts by the font when viewing the archive...usually. Her posts are in a smaller sans-serif font...most of the quotes are in a larger font. And yes, I'm talking specifically about the layout of her tumblr.

Could she have run out of her meds, or suddenly stopped taking them? What would be the effects of this?

Unpredictable...most long-term users of any of the medications she was taking would experience a withdrawal syndrome soon after abruptly stopping use. The symptoms of that depend on the person, but usually include feeling very depressed, anxious and physically ill. This could happen even when tapering off of them slowly under medical supervision. Unusual behavior and hallucinations could be possible during w/d, it's hard to say how likely considering she was taking a combination of drugs and was in an unfamiliar environment. And of course we don't know what might have changed in her treatment between April-May 2012 and Jan 2013.

First few times I clicked on the Archives, nothing loaded, but now I see it is because there is sooooo much. What is re-blogging? For example, in the December 2012 archive, there is an article on Dec 24 about being drunk and asking for a MacDouble. Dec 23 article to the effect, got off work and went to a club and got "sweated and felt all over". Are these all her own writings, or have they been brought in from someone else's social media accounts?

Sorry to sound like such a dufus, but i would like to try to follow what she was thinking/doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eddieknowsmagic