CA/Canada - Elisa Lam - 21 years old - Los Angeles/Vancouver - 31-Jan-2013 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
sillybilly:8916687 said:
Could someone please explain to me why we can't find a date on these pages that provides an idea of when she may have been thinking what:

http://nouvelle-nouveau.tumblr.com/p...-people-are-so
The above post states that it was from 9 months ago on the right-hand side.
If you go to the archive view (click the link at the top of the page) and hover your cursor over the thumbnail you can get the exact date. The date for this particular post is May 3, 2012.

I have a hard time believing she went to the roof by herself. The last time she was seen (on camera, at least), she didn't have her glasses on and was in an altered state. She did not look to be capable of climbing up a ladder/to a roof on her own. I'd be really surprised if the chain of events wasn't -> taken something that interacted badly with meds/was in a bad mental state -> found by some , was an easy target.

It's so tragic and frustrating and I think that's why I keep coming back here. She was a bright girl with obviously a lot of passion to contribute to the world, I want to see whatever it was that ended her life brought to justice. If by some remote chance it was her mental illness that led to her death, I would like to see a world that does not stigmatize the mentally ill, and a world with a cure for it. Not that any victim of any of these crimes is less of a loss; every case here is such a tragedy. I just hate that there is evil in this world, and it makes me want to go into law enforcement.

A classical pianist as well, if the tumblr is hers, which it appears to be.

LAM Elisa (Diagnostics of Childhood Tuberculosis (TB)) a link to what it involves http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT00512330

LAM (LipoArabinoMannan) is a glycolipid (sugary fat) chemical found in the cell wall of TB bacteria. ELISA (Enzyme-Linked ImmunoSorbent Assay) is a type of laboratory immunoassay to detect the concentrations of chemicals or proteins in a sample, in this case they are testing for levels of LAM as a way to quickly diagnose TB infection. It's an odd coincidence that the two abbreviations match up with her name but it has nothing to do with her or the case.

any links as to his mugshot or record? i couldn't find it myself when googling, thanks.

Hey, everyone

I'm a frequent reader/rare contributor, but I've been glued to the discussion on this case. Anyway, I have a minor comment I wanted to make in regards to the amateur reporter with the funny hair mentioned on page 38 of the last thread. If you google his name, you'll find a mugshot and a record of some pretty heinous stuff, as well as his address, which is right around the corner from the Cecil Hotel. Probably nothing, but strange to me, nonetheless.

Anyway, stepping back into the shadows now - looking forward to reading more!

It seems the discovery of Elisa's body has not inspired the media to investigate what happened to her, but to publish a stream of nonsense trivializing her death. Sadly, Elisa is becoming a ghoulish punchline, her story doomed to endless Facebook re-posting with innumerable "Eeeeewwwww!" comments attached.

"Body found in tank decomposed..."
"..Put guests in danger of getting nasty diseases..."
"Water turned black where Elisa Lam died"
"Six ways to tell if you're staying in a murder hotel"
"Water in LA hotel tank with dead body won't cause illness..."

These are all actual headlines from the top results from an "Elisa Lam" Google News search. I'm sure her family and friends are being understandably tight-lipped and there probably isn't much else to write a story on, but I can't help but wonder if the headlines would be so brusque were Elisa's hair blonde and her eyes blue.

For example, in the December 2012 archive, there is an article on Dec 24 about being drunk and asking for a MacDouble.

Do you have a link? She posts a lot on her tumblr account, and I don't think there is a way to search things on there.

Do you have a link? She posts a lot on her tumblr account, and I don't think there is a way to search things on there.

The post about getting drunk and going for McDonalds was not written by her, but rather by a user named either dveoit or boosprite, as you can tell from the "This was reblogged from dveoit" in the list on the right and the link to boosprite above the quote. You have to be careful when attributing posts to her; if it says it was reblogged from elsewhere, that means she did not write it herself and is only mirroring the post.

http://nouvelle-nouveau.tumblr.com/post/38692729045/boosprite-omg-i-forgot-to-share-this-storry-so

It seems the discovery of Elisa's body has not inspired the media to investigate what happened to her, but to publish a stream of nonsense trivializing her death. Sadly, Elisa is becoming a ghoulish punchline, her story doomed to endless Facebook re-posting with innumerable "Eeeeewwwww!" comments attached.

These are all actual headlines from the top results from an "Elisa Lam" Google News search. I'm sure her family and friends are being understandably tight-lipped and there probably isn't much else to write a story on, but I can't help but wonder if the headlines would be so brusque were Elisa's hair blonde and her eyes blue.

I find the media focus on the more grisly details disgusting as well. I don't think it's racist, though; rather, just... capitalist in the worst sense. (Whatever sells....)

I think it's because that's the facet of the case that is most interesting to readers, and because people can probably relate to the experience of staying in a run down hotel and wondering why the water looked/smelled/tasted funny. The fact that she was found in a sealed water tank is no doubt the bizarre element that brought many people (including myself) to WS to post about the case, not so much out of morbid fascination/humor with her death and the history of the Cecil, but because it's just so perplexing and tragic and since there is clearly a -ton- of information that the police are not divulging for whatever reason.

I mean, as far as I know it isn't even entirely clear whether she was found with or without clothes, or whether the water tank hatch was open or closed when she was found. It's just a guess, but the list of medications might be part of why the police still are investigating, rightly or wrongly, the "accident" angle. Personally I don't think the meds, if she was still taking any at the time, definitively argue for accident or foul play either way, since there are many scenarios for either conclusion. Not to mention she had been functioning normally on them for quite some time, and it's stigmatizing to think that just because she was on meds then she got into the tank of her own will, that she couldn't have fallen victim to a predator. But no doubt the police have much more evidence to work with than any of us do.

I find the media focus on the more grisly details disgusting as well. I don't think it's racist, though; rather, just... capitalist in the worst sense. (Whatever sells....)

I agree... disgusting. Sadly, it will only get worse during the wait on toxicology reports or more substantial LE updates.

I've been covering the CCTV video on youtube while providing my own analysis on it for a few days now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TjVBpyTeZM

If there is any question that people would like to know about that particular video or just about the Cecil Hotel in general, I have a lot of information on hand as well as video/pictures.

any links as to his mugshot or record? i couldn't find it myself when googling, thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by serafinacat
Hey, everyone

I'm a frequent reader/rare contributor, but I've been glued to the discussion on this case. Anyway, I have a minor comment I wanted to make in regards to the amateur reporter with the funny hair mentioned on page 38 of the last thread. If you google his name, you'll find a mugshot and a record of some pretty heinous stuff, as well as his address, which is right around the corner from the Cecil Hotel. Probably nothing, but strange to me, nonetheless.

Anyway, stepping back into the shadows now - looking forward to reading more!

Ok, the creepy reporter with the skullet....I remember his voice! From a different video. He reported one of the first videos posted on thread #1.

Not throwing out any accusations, but it is a fact some perps return to the scene of the crime and film the police, etc. Austin Sigg did this.

Second this. This eccentric case draws me to the forum. I once believed that it was floor 14 but judging from the 2nd video I don't think she was in floor 14 when caught on surveillance camera. The 2nd video was made in mid 2012 which is not too far from now. I know some elevators won't go to within one or two floor range from where you steps in, If that's the case, the face that when she pushes floor 14 the light on the control panel went up and down immediately seems to suggest that she was in a floor close to 14.

Yes, I believe that she pressed Down to call the elevator, and many elevators would not allow one to press a floor that's not in the direction they are supposed to go. (ie, she'd be able to press a higher floor only if she had pushed the Up button when she was outside the elevators.) If this is the case here she would be on one of the floors 11,12,14 (ie, higher than 10 because she was able to press 10, but no higher than 14 because she was not able to press 14.) But because of the second video showing the color of Floor 14 I think she's in either floor 11 or 12.

Turns out Google Maps has a very clear picture of the roof:
[ame="http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Cecil+Hotel,+South+Main+Street,+Los+Angeles,+CA,+United+States&hl=en&ll=34.044527,-118.250611&spn=0.000527,0.000597&sll=34.04569,-118.254004&sspn=0.049214,0.057249&oq=cecil&hq=Cecil+Hotel,+South+Main+Street,+Los+Angeles,+CA,+United+States&t=h&z=21"]Cecil Hotel, Google Maps[/ame]

At the highest zoom you can clearly see the three fire escape ladders leading to the roof from the end of each wing. You can see the stairs access from the east flight of stairs. And you can see that once on the roof it would not be difficult to climb up to the top of the utility room and down to the water tanks. On the other hand, because of the vertical ladders, I think it would be very difficult to haul an unconscious or dead body up.

Also on Google Maps one can see a couple of buildings to the north at Harlem and 6th that might be tall enough to see Cecil's roof. Wonder if there might be any cameras pointing in the right direction from there.

If it bleeds it leads...:sigh:

Not sure if you're thinking that her hand movements looked like piano playing at one point... but I don't think so. Especially not if she knows how to play piano.

Regarding what button Elisa Lam presses in the CCTV footage -

Elisa Lam CCTV elevator video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TjVBpyTeZM

Elisa Lam was responsible for keeping the elevator door open by pressing the DOOR HOLD button.

Look at this image of the Cecil Hotel elevator panel she used.

we6I2JX.jpg

The buttons she presses on the middle row from top to bottom:

14 (the floor she was on, since the button didn't light up), 10, 7, 4 (the floor of her hotel room), M (mezzanine), B (basement) and finally the DOOR HOLD button on the very bottom.

On the youtube video I provided, here is the time lime that I believe is what went down on the night of February 1st when that CCTV footage was recorded in the elevator -

(Please watch the video while reading this)

Elisa Lam CCTV elevator video

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TjVBpyTeZM"]Elisa Lam CCTV Elevator video - YouTube[/ame]

Also, check this video for a tour of the hallways, twin elevator location and the hallway at the Cecil Hotel -
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bY2kiP8FVOY"]Cecil hotel tour - YouTube[/ame]

0:03 Elisa enters elevator, no glasses. Demeanor suggest in a normal state, no panic.

0:06 She leans her face very close to the elevator panel buttons, but has a hard time to make up the numbers.

Using her memory, she remembers the 4th floor (her hotel room floor) is on the middle row. She decides, "what the heck", and presses the entire middle row as a gamble hoping she reach her floor.

0:07 Look at this image of the Cecil Hotel elevator panel she used.

we6I2JX.jpg

14 (the floor she was on, since the button didn't light up), 10, 7, 4 (the floor of her hotel room), M (mezzanine), B (basement) and finally the DOOR HOLD button on the very bottom.

0:11 Right when she is about to press the final button on the bottom, the DOOR HOLD button (refer to the picture on my reply post), notice the elevator door about to close.

It is only then when she presses the DOOR HOLD button that the elevator door retracts, and remains open.

0:13 Elisa backs up and waits for the elevator to close as normal. However it takes too long and then she begins to wonder if somebody is outside the hallway preventing the door from closing

0:23 Elisa slowly and cautiously steps forward to investigate the hallway. She carefully lunges out quick to get a quick peek out the hallway - but nobody is outside.

0:25 Elisa steps back into the elevator, bemused at finding nobody outside the hallway. I can imagine right now, her feeling nervous and confused. She wonders to herself, "is it a ghost??" "Is somebody outside the elevator?"

She spooks her self, and backs into the elevator wall, and into the corner

0:39 she musters up the courage again to step out the elevator to see if anybody is outside. Slowly taking cautious steps since there is a hallway on the left and right, and anybody is able to hide around the corner there.

0:57 At this point, security guards in the CCTV monitor room, watching her every move via the CCTV camera in the elevator get concerned, and one of them is dispatched to take the second elevator next to the one Elisa is in up to the 14th floor.

1:12 Elisa stands outside the elevator, back against the wall. She wonders if there is a problem with the elevator sensor and waits to see if it will close if she is out of the elevator

1:27 After waiting for so long for the elevator to work, with no luck - Elisa becomes frustrated and panics. She puts her hands on her head and gets back in the elevator as if to say "oh my god, why isn't this elevator working??"

This is when she gives a second attempt, to press ALL off the buttons again, only on the middle row to see if it will work. Unknowingly, she presses the DOOR HOLD button multiple times, triggering it on and off and on, resetting the door hold timer.

Again, reference back to the elevator panel that Elisa Lam used at the Cecil Hotel -

1:56 Elisa steps out the elevator again, and by this time, the security guard using the other elevator beside the one Elisa is in finally reaches up the 14th floor.

He steps out, away from camera view from the 1st elevator and calls out to? Elisa asking what is going on.

Elisa is surprised, and then gestures toward the elevator explaining her dilemma with the elevator not working. The guard asks her how many times she (still figuring out what), and Elisa uses her fingers to count 3 times.

I believe that Elisa Lam was looking for a public shower room that was vacant since the one on the 4th floor was occupied.

The Stay on Main hostel rooms at the Cecil Hotel are on the 1st - 5th floor as I'm told from somebody who stayed there a year ago. There are no showers in those resident rooms, which is why they need to use the public shower rooms located out on the hallway.

She must of been too stubborn to go back to her hotel room to get her glasses, which is why she is seen having trouble seeing the buttons on the elevator, and then taking a gamble to press the entire column hoping she'll get to her 4th floor from the 14th floor, but she unknowingly pressed the DOOR HOLD button as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member