CA - Child *advertiser censored* charges against John Mark Karr dismissed

scandi said:
Hi Dragonfly,

Could it be that Boulder is going to charge him with giving them a false confession? I wonder if that is even a charge and if so, how serious it is. It has to be worthy of keeping him from being prosecuted by Sonoma County at this time,right?

Hey- maybe he has given them info who really killed JB. He might know due to any dealings he might have had with other pervy pedos! Maybe they have been checking that out and it's panning out. Remember we heard nothing on the Santa Bear the DA took posession of right before this thing blew up. Maybe they got DNA off of it!!!

Always thinking :rolleyes: [coloor=crimson]Scandi[/color]
Scandi, I am thinking that it has to be the Feds that have an interest in Karr. I don't think CO, in light of the CA charges, would bother to get involved in a false confession charge. That would only serve to allow the embrassment to linger longer. It seems, in light of Karr's movements, country to country, and his probable behavior, there is a good chance the Feds could bring far more serious charges against him, or at least have Karr held by CO until they do a little more investigation. Hopefully, whatever the situation, it will all come to light early in the week, so we aren't left in the dark. PS, I had picked Friday, as the day Karr would be transported back to CA, so I was half-right, in that the intention was there.

yeah - you have to wonder if they are linking him to other cases or people are coming forward reporting having been abused by him. Those charges would be a lot more serious so I imagine California would let them have first shot at him.

Sheriff Bill Cogbill would not discuss the details of the trip or why deputies left Boulder without bringing back the high-profile defendant on a local warrant for failing to appear at a 2001 hearing on charges of possessing child *advertiser censored* .

But he alluded to larger issues in the case that could affect Sonoma County's five-count misdemeanor prosecution of the former Petaluma substitute teacher who famously confessed, apparently falsely, to the 1996 JonBenet Ramsey slaying .

"The dynamics evolve day to day," Cogbill said, adding to the mystery surrounding an already bizarre case. "There are huge dynamics going on that could change the whole course of this." He said he would be able to talk more freely early next week.

"There is a whole other dimension to this that I'll probably be able to talk about later, but not today," he said.

Another possibility for the delay may be that another jurisdiction - possibly the federal government - is interested in Karr in connection with other crimes, Sonoma County Public Defender John Abrahams said.

A 3-year-old federal sex-tourism law makes it illegal for Americans to travel to a foreign country to have sex with children. Each count can mean up to 30 years in federal prison.

Karr, who has talked and written about his sexual fascination with young girls, was working in Thailand as a teacher of young girls at the time of his arrest.

"I'll know more Monday or Tuesday about how everything could play out in this, and it could be completely different than what I think could play out today," he said. "There are some glitches that have to be worked out, but there are also more issues that are not just glitches."

This is just purely speculation on my part. From the moment it was announced that Boulder, Co. had a suspect in the murder of JonBenet Ramsey, the news media went wild. The coverage of John Karr was extensive, 24/7 for almost two weeks. There were even media reports from Europe. I'm wondering if someone saw John Karr on the news and identified him as the man who may have molested a child in their community? The FBI could be working to investigate possible charges in another state or country.

It's possible that the delay in extraditing Karr to California may be due to an ongoing investigation elsewhere. Sheriff Cogbill is alluding to "much larger issues" that he can't talk about at this time. He said, "There are huge dynamics going on that could change the whole course of this." This sounds like a whole other case against John Karr that's larger that the child *advertiser censored* case in Sonoma County.

On another note, there was a news article (NBC) yesterday regarding the expenditures by Boulder, Colorado. A total of $23,656 spent by the District Attorneys office to investigate John Karr. The Boulder Sheriffs Dept. spent $6,070 on the arrest and extradition of John Karr. The flight from Los Angeles to Jefferson County Airport alone was $3255, and the over-time wages for personnel came to $2468.

We do know that the Thai gvnmt was investigating Karr for a crime involving a sexual matter that had taken place at his apt, correct? There was one girl he was especially taken by.

It could be the tip of the iceburg for this wretched little prissy, as his situation and flight to the US made international headlines, and it could even be possible there are other sexual deviancies he has performed with other young girls and parents have been calling LE.

And also, if there are even a couple of situations the Feds have learned about overseas, it sets a pattern of predatory activity on his part while overseas. You know by now they must have the computer analysis of his hard drive, and knowing how he turned red and lowered his head in court when this was mentioned, maybe they followed up on some leads they discovered on his computer.

Boy I hope so. I hope he gets everything thrown at him from the Feds for being so contemptuous as to cajole innocent young girls into satisfying his sexual desires. OOOHhhhh it really gets me angry when I think of the possibility of him having done this, but we also know pedo's always repeat their crimes. If he's thought it at age 41, believe me, he's done it.

It certainly would be more serious to have physical contact with a girl than deleted pictures of her on a hard drive, don't you think?

Scandi

I'm sure he's done worse than just look at child *advertiser censored*, and for him to just be up on midemeanors is really sad. So hopefully they have found some more to charge him on. This guy is sick, and no kid is safe if he is free.

Details said:
I'm sure he's done worse than just look at child *advertiser censored*, and for him to just be up on midemeanors is really sad. So hopefully they have found some more to charge him on. This guy is sick, and no kid is safe if he is free.
I wonder how the stays in Federal Prisons compare to the individual state accomodations?? Federal Prisons probably don't vary that much, but state prisons apparently do; seems that most cons complain about some of the southern states. I wonder if anyone has ever done a ranking of the individual states for doing time??

Buzzm1 said:
I wonder how the stays in Federal Prisons compare to the individual state accomodations?? Federal Prisons probably don't vary that much, but state prisons apparently do; seems that most cons complain about some of the southern states. I wonder if anyone has ever done a ranking of the individual states for doing time??
There is a ranking, although I have no idea where to find it online. I remember seeing data quoted from it in a article on the US Prison System in an ESQUIRE or VANITY FAIR magazine a few years back. There are also a couple of reality shows, such as SUPER MAX and LOCK DOWN, that focus on particular state and federal penitentaries and how they have evolved over the years.

What if Thailand found reason to charge John Mark Karr??; perhaps with the exposure that Karr received before he left Thailand, and Thailand probably also had a reporterl, or two, relaying reports and pictures back to Thailand; maybe some 6, or 7 year old girl recognised Karr as the guy who sexually abused her. Hell, it could be any one of a number of countries that want Karr--Costa Rica, Honduras, South Korea, France, and maybe a few others. Wouldn't that be something.

Since we are all speculating on this:

Maybe Karr's DNA has been entered into CODIS and got a hit.

topsailgrl said:
Since we are all speculating on this:

Maybe Karr's DNA has been entered into CODIS and got a hit.
Wow.........I never thought of that! We do know that a DNA test was done and wasn't a match for JonBenet Ramsey. It would be logical to assume that John Karr's DNA would be put through CODIS, especially considering his emails and conversations with people regarding his love of little girls.

I will be anxious to hear any follow-up on the statements made by Sonoma County Sheriff, Cogsbill.

I'm not sure of what the laws are concerning entering DNA into CODIS, it may be that he will have to be convicted of a sex crime first.

08-16-06 Karr arrested in Thailand

08-20-06 Karr extradited from Thailand to Los Angeles, CA

08-22-06 Karr waived extradition to Boulder, CO

08-24-06 Karr flown from L.A. to Boulder, CO

08-28-06 No DNA match. CO drops charges against Karr

08-29-06 CO Judge orders Karr to be extradited to CA by 09-13-06

09-08-06 Extradition attempted from Boulder prevented?? More to be revealed early this week.

09-13-06 Karr needs to be extradited from Boulder, CO to to Sonoma County, CA.

Buzzm1 said:

09-08-06 Extradition attempted from Boulder prevented?? More to be revealed early this week.

09-13-06 Karr needs to be extradited from Boulder, CO to to Sonoma County, CA.
Buzzm1,
Thanks for the timeline - it really helps to have the sequence of events and dates.

We know that John Karr is to be extradited from Boulder to Sonoma County, CA. no later than Sept. 13th. So, we can expect some sort of word, possibly by late Tuesday, about what's happening. Sonoma County Sheriff, Bill Cogbill, said that he "would be able to talk more freely early next week." Hopefully there will be some sort of announcement on or before Wednesday, Sept. 13.

One of Karr's attorneys, Gayle Gutekunst of San Francisco, said Friday she hadn't been advised of any problems with the extradition to Santa Rosa. She said extradition could be delayed if Karr had now decided to fight the process.

Another possibility for the delay may be that another jurisdiction - possibly the federal government - is interested in Karr in connection with other crimes, Sonoma County Public Defender John Abrahams said.

A 3-year-old federal sex-tourism law makes it illegal for Americans to travel to a foreign country to have sex with children. Each count can mean up to 30 years in federal prison.

Karr, who has talked and written about his sexual fascination with young girls, was working in Thailand as a teacher of young girls at the time of his arrest.

09-13-06 Karr, according to a CO judge's ruling, needs to be extradited from Boulder, CO to to Sonoma County, CA.

I thought they had already dealt with that - he had tried to fight extradition and lost.

Does anyone know the laws involved here? Sonoma County sheriffs have already made a trip to Boulder, CO., and have returned empty-handed. So they did, in good faith, attempt to extradite him to their jurisdiction.

What happens if September 13th comes and goes and John Karr remains in Boulder, CO?

Leila said:
Does anyone know the laws involved here? Sonoma County sheriffs have already made a trip to Boulder, CO., and have returned empty-handed. So they did, in good faith, attempt to extradite him to their jurisdiction.

What happens if September 13th comes and goes and John Karr remains in Boulder, CO?
CO would only retain John Mark Karr if there was the possibility that he might face far more serious charges in another jurisdiction, doubtful that it would be another state, as Karr hasn't spent much time in the states lately, but most likely another country. He had to have lied on his applications to do child care for families, and even for teaching positions. These could easily be felonies, and the U.S. needs friends if they want to stop pedophile activities in other countries. Karr could end up being a bargaining chip.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Just Cami
Back