CA CA - Dixie Arensen, 20, Los Angeles, 25 Aug 1968

There is a bit of a distraction in the records caused by a Dixie Lee Barnes who was born about 1950 and married Gregory Schaefer in 1968 and divorced in 1976. However, she remarried to Gerald O'Brien in about 1985 and ancestry has no divorce record for this marriage. This suggests to me that she cannot be the Dixie Lee Schaefer noted as living in Indiana in previous posts since this one was still using Schaefer in 1993 (based on an Ancestry directory record) and still (today) has a valid nurses license in the name of Dixie Lee Schaefer.

So that leaves the question as to whether the Indiana DL Schaefer is our girl. The Dixie Lee who went missing was born in India to a missionary (I assume the occupation; the birthplace is in Ancestry ship passenger list records). I can find no record of a Dixie Lee Schaefer born in the USA except one in 1982. Similarly, apart from the case noted above I can find no record of a Dixie Lee marrying a Schaefer. However, if the birth was in India Ancestry would not show a birth record.

All this says to me that I cannot explain the Indiana Dixie Lee Schaefer from Ancestry records of birth or marriage, which leaves the possibility that she was born overseas and could be our girl. One last coincidence. The nurses licence for Dixie Lee Schaefer in Indiana was first issued in 1969 - Dixie Lee Schaefer - Licensed Practical Nurse (Indiana) - License Direct.

Worth a closer look? Can anyone think of a next step?
The ancestry Dixie Lee is not the missing Dixie.
The only reason I can think of that she would leave her glasses but take her purse is if someone she knew and/or trusted compelled her to go someplace with them quickly, such as making up an emergency that required her to accompany them. This could lead to her leaving the typewriter running and maybe dropping the glasses on the floor and not realizing it. If something like this happened then we would have to look at someone close to her: family member, friend, or church member, someone who she would not hesitate to leave with.
An example would be if a person came running in and lied about there being an emergency at her house or with one of her family members etc, and she grabbed her purse and ran to the car with this person, only to be assaulted by them and killed someplace else.
The other option I can think of seems unlikely, that she would run away and stage it as a kidnapping.
Dixie could not see without her glasses. If she went with someone she knew on an emergency, she would have stopped to pick them up.. no question about that!

He was a minister, so together they would have put up a good front regardless of what things were like in public. Many ministers are narcissists; narcissists are attracted to the prestige and adulation that come with the position.

There could be something to this, but if her husband was responsible, then it might simply have been a cover story.
I wonder which of Mansons followers admitted this and to who?

The ancestry Dixie Lee is not the missing Dixie.

Dixie could not see without her glasses. If she went with someone she knew on an emergency, she would have stopped to pick them up.. no question about that!
I do not doubt you are right about the Ancestry Dixie as I always considered it as an outside possibility but I was unable to rule it out based on any public records. Can you explain the basis on which you have made the rule out?

I am friend of family. As happens often on ancestry, someone adds someone and then others continue the mistake. It is completely mixed up with real family members but all is not correct.
Did anyone else see her arrive at the church that morning ?

How would someone get in to kidnap her? Was the church locked up if no one else was there?

Did your husband or any of your friends and family ever become suspicious of Dixie's husband after she went missing?

I live near Granada Hills. Back in 1968, that was a very sleepy, safe suburb.

I am not sure how Manson's tribe would have infiltrated that church in that residential conservative suburb.

I am not sure how Manson's tribe would have infiltrated that church in that residential conservative suburb.
I agree. To be honest I think the Manson angle is totally BS. They were out for blood....not making people disappear. Somebody knowing the church in-and-outs did this.

Did anyone else see her arrive at the church that morning ?

How would someone get in to kidnap her? Was the church locked up if no one else was there?

Did your husband or any of your friends and family ever become suspicious of Dixie's husband after she went missing?
No one saw her arrive. She left the house at 7:30am and the church is only 10 min away. There is a side door that goes directly into the office where she was starting to work. The typewriter was on as well as duplicator machine, but she hadn't started typing.
Granada Hills at that time in that particular area was not built up much with homes. There were horse stables and lots of open area around the church building. In those days,it would have been easy and not noticed if someone approached the church, especially from the back parking lot to the side door where she sat with her back to the door. I can also understand why she might not lock herself in that morning. Soon the church would have members coming to tech Sunday school, set things up etc.

In answer to your question about Dixie's husband, yes he remained a person of interest and was actually fired from his position at the church. There remains no evidence that he had anything to do with her disappearance.

As for the Manson family, they were in and around that area at the time. There has been rumor that one of his girls bragged about taking a girl from a church.. but it has never been proven.

Exclusions for Dixie:
UP8419
UP5556
UP7690
UP6629
UP8579
Andrea Kuiper
UP12683
UP6150
UP5211
Christy Floyd
UP6796
Wow.. very interesting that there are all these exclusions! I'm wondering if the case files still exist?

I was raised hearing a story about Dixie from my mother. My grandparents knew Dixies husband or at least his family somehow. I would have to verify the details again. Jons family always believed Charles Manson took Dixie. They spent years trying to figure it out according to my mothers memory. The closest they ever got was one of his followers admitting they took a woman from a church. They tried to befriend the woman and send her letters in jail, but she never admitted to killing or kidnapping Dixie, nor gave over any information about the location of Dixies body. RIP Dixie.
Was the Manson family member's name ever saved?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
imaguppynotashark
Back