CA CA - East Area Rapist/Golden State Killer *ARREST* #5

DlynB17

Reaction score
Police in California say they believe they have found the notorious Golden State Killer—the man investigators say is responsible for 12 homicides, 45 rapes, and 120 home burglaries.

Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, was arrested overnight on two murder charges and is thought to be linked to the case, said Billy Jensen, one of the writers responsible for researching and publishing I’ll Be Gone in the Dark. The case received renewed media attention this year after the book, written by late Michelle McNamara, was finally published after years of McNamara’s obsessive research on the killer, thanks to her husband Patton Oswalt, Jensen, and researcher Paul Haynes.

Jail records show that DeAngelo, who was arrested by the Sacramento County Sheriff’s Department, is ineligible for bail. The warrant was issued by Ventura County.

Jensen told The Daily Beast that DeAngelo is not the “confirmed” man responsible, but that “it looks good.” Police will hold a press conference at noon Wednesday in Sacramento to announce the breakthrough in the case.

The FBI has said the Golden State Killer, or the East Area Rapist, is suspected of carrying out crimes spanning a decade starting in the late 1970s in Sacramento County and ending in 1981. Jail records show that, like the killer’s FBI profile, DeAngelo is 5’11” and between the ages of 60 and 75 years old.

Sources confirmed to a local Fox affiliate early Wednesday morning that there had been a “significant break” in the case, with some saying an arrest had been made.

Golden State Killer, Joseph DeAngelo, Arrested After 40-Year Hunt, Authorities Say

Thread #1
Thread #2

Thread #3
Thread #4

Last edited by a moderator:
Golden State Killer Arrested, According to Co-Author of ‘I’ll Be Gone in the Dark’
A man was taken into custody overnight on murder charges in California, and police are expected to announce he's the notorious serial rapist and murderer.
Olivia Messer
04.25.18 9:07 AM ET

Snipped:

The notorious Golden State Killer—allegedly responsible for 12 homicides, 45 rapes, and 120 home burglaries in California in the 1970s and ‘80s—has been arrested, according to the co-author of a book that refocused attention on the unsolved crimes.

Joseph James DeAngelo, 72, was arrested on two counts of murder early Wednesday morning, according to the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department. The department did not immediately respond to a request for comment. However, a Fox affiliate in California reported there had been a “significant break” in the case and authorities plan to announce more information Wednesday afternoon.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/golde...rding-to-co-author-of-ill-be-gone-in-the-dark

Arrest made in East Area Rapist case, sources say. Sun City survivor 'overwhelmed with joy'
By Alex Kincaid
April 25, 2018 09:15 AM

Snipped:

Jane Carson-Sandler, a Sun City resident, was the fifth victim of the East Area Rapist on Oct. 5, 1976.

Carson-Sandler said she received emails Wednesday from two detectives she has kept in touch with over the years informing her of the arrest.

http://www.heraldonline.com/news/state/south-carolina/article209776449.html

Quite new at this so be patient with me but I seem to have found several links between both cases that made me feel as if I should point them out.

-Keddie is more or less a couple of hours from Auburn, a set of remains found within the GSK hunting ground (Near Butte City) was later recovered and linked to Keddie Murders as of 12 yo Tina Sharp.

-Keddie murders happened in April 1981, before the GSK JULY 1981 murders.

-Keddie was a home invasion, victims were tied on feet and hands, it has always been discussed that the son and his gf who were murdered in Keddie walked in as the crime was already in progress, not unlikely for an older man such as GSK get these victims to tie themselves up and continue with assault. As he has in previous occasions.

-Keddie COD, stab wounds and beaten to death. A bent knife and hammer were found. GSK has been known to try and shoplift a hammer, and to use knives in his crimes.

-I believe police sketches for Keddie showed a man and a woman, the man having quite a fat face and a moustache and glasses.
GSK similar sketch, no glasses, however sketch was produced about three years prior to Keddie.

The one thing that seems to be missing from Keddie is any evidence of rape, as I couldn’t find anything in the police reports.
However the taking of 12 year old Tina, plus the fact her only identifiable remains were bones makes it hard for us to know wether she suffered sexual assault or not.

I may be way off my game here, but these things keep popping out to me and I thought they were worth a mention.

Furthermore there is evidence that suggests the shoe prints found in GSK case are very similar to the shoe print found in the Keddie murder scene.
attachment.php
attachment.php

Also, both Keddie and GSK cases have mention of a left handed assailant.

Attachments

• 1849747B-9838-4FB1-968C-9C9A9B03F9C3.jpeg
    1849747B-9838-4FB1-968C-9C9A9B03F9C3.jpeg
    28 KB · Views: 146
  • A4F05EA4-7AF5-46EB-8FE4-4B5B35EF7A9B.jpeg
    A4F05EA4-7AF5-46EB-8FE4-4B5B35EF7A9B.jpeg
    101.8 KB · Views: 148
He looks like death is coming soon! That is quite a difference when he first got arrested as @tmar mentioned! :eek:

And agree with - just give him a plea deal - he's not going last long anyway.... WHY waste the $$ that this is going to cost the California tax payers!!!!

He looks like death is coming soon! That is quite a difference when he first got arrested as @tmar mentioned! :eek:

And agree with - just give him a plea deal - he's not going last long anyway.... WHY waste the $$ that this is going to cost the California tax payers!!!!
Will the victims families agree? There are a lot to talk to.

As a taxpayer I'm willing to contribute to a prosecution fund if need be. I bet it's killing him not to have control of the situation, and he's probably not looking forward to hearing how mentally disturbed he his. Screw him, I only hope he lives long enough to face what he's done in court. No matter what there will never really be justice for all his victims, but it's better than nothing I guess.

I don't hear much about him, I wonder if there's a gag order.

I'd be okay with a plea deal (with a minimum of 30 years....so we know he won't have any chance of getting out) only if he admits, in detail, to every murder he's committed including any that may not even be on investigators' radar. I would say the same for the rapes/home invasions, but honestly we already know he committed so many I doubt he remembers the exact number he committed, much less in any detail.

Agree with your statement above Otterly!

Accused Golden State Killer Joe DeAngelo, 73, is CLEARED by DNA of 1975 murder of 14-year-old girl found stabbed 17 times

9 January 2019

"The former cop accused of being California's Golden State Killer has been cleared of murdering a 14-year-old girl found strangled, beaten and stabbed 17 times.

DNA found that Joseph DeAngelo, 73, was not responsible for the death of Donna Jo Richmond after she vanished cycling home from a friend's house near Exeter in 1975....

DeAngelo's arrest last year prompted prosecutors to review the original conviction of sex offender Oscar Clifton.

Carpenter and painter Clifton was sentenced to life in prison for the kidnapping, attempted rape and murder of Donna.

He had always maintained his innocence and died in prison in 2013.

But District Attorney Tim Ward said: 'I am again confident, just as this office was the previous times we reviewed the case, that the countless hours of report analysis, evidence evaluation, court transcripts, and DNA evaluation solidifies that Oscar Clifton tragically and violently ended the life of Donna Jo Richmond in an orange grove the day after Christmas in 1975.'

A partial DNA profile, developed from semen on the teenager's body, was consistent with Clifton's profile but not that of DeAngelo...."

Accused Golden State Killer Joe DeAngelo, 73, cleared by DNA of 1975 murder of 14-year-old girl | Daily Mail Online

8312516-6572949-image-a-6_1547042273637.jpg
8312520-6572949-image-m-10_1547042307236.jpg

8312510-6572949-image-a-13_1547042342315.jpg

(DeAngelo, pictured, was a police officer in Exeter in the 1970s and his arrest last year prompted prosecutors to review the Clifton conviction over the death of Donna Jo Richmond)
---

DNA clears Golden State Killer suspect in girl’s murder. Old conviction stands (with clip)

"...DeAngelo is also being looked at as a suspect in the murder of Jennifer Armour, 15, of Visalia, who disappeared and was found dead in a canal.

DeAngelo is due in court in Sacramento on April 10 for a hearing."

DNA clears Golden State Killer suspect in girl’s murder. Old conviction stands
---

The Murder of Jennifer Lynn Armour

July 11, 2018

"On the night of November 15th, 1974, a fifteen-year-old Visalia-area girl named Jennifer Lynn Armour disappeared while on her way to a local football game. She was last seen at about 8:30 PM while on her way to meet friends.

Her nude body was found over a week later in the Friant-Kern Canal near Woodlake – an area located northeast of Visalia and a fair distance away from where she’d disappeared. Her bra was wrapped around one of her wrists, and her clothing was found on the bank nearby....

Recently, the Sun-Gazette has reported that Joseph DeAngelo, the man arrested for the Visalia Ransacker / Golden State Killer crimes, has been added to the suspect list. DeAngelo was a police officer in nearby Exeter at the time, and has been confirmed by police to be tied to a string of over 100 burglaries, a murder, and an attempted murder that occurred in Visalia in 1974 and 1975...."

The Murder of Jennifer Lynn Armour – ColdCaseWriter.com

armour1.jpg

armour4.jpg

(Jennifer Lynn Armour)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
12-26-75 Has released another episode in their series about Donna Jo Richmond's murder and irregularities with the evidence in Oscar Clifton's Tulare County Murder trial.

I highly recommend people listen to the 12-26-75 podcast that is uncovering some extremely concerning improprieties with the handling of the evidence and prosecution of the Oscar Clifton.

12-26-75

The blog that has images: https://12-26-75.com/

What fascinates me is this was a period (1973 first crime to 1986 last murder with believed 5 yrs interlude prior to last murder) in areas of heightened alert that this guy DeAngelo seemed to go about it as an invisible man. He obv knew the houses he attacked by casing them, worked out an escape plan for each. That invol considerable time and effort and yet he may have been spotted occasionally as a prowler but he never came sufficiently to attention for to stop and est his id, except for one encounter with a policeman which he escaped from using a firearm. He was a policeman during the early part of his crime career from the initial in 1973 to 1979 till he was fired.

From 1973 to 1976 he was on Exeter Burgled Task force. I can presume this gave him the ability to monitor and to case his victims. This prob fed into some type of addiction for going through other people’s private stuff from which everything after that escalated. Another thing that bothers me is this guy was a night owl and to how he function during the day. Obv when in the police he was given far too much room to operate without sufficient supervision to what he was up to. I presume all these so called senior supervising officers are dead. Amazed he never came under the focus of any of the police in the areas or was he so in the loop while in the police that it made it all the easier to avoid.

Do we know what he did in the period from 1979 after being fired as a policeman, to 1989 beginning work as a truck mechanic? He had a wife from 1973, it’s amazing she never raised serious questioning to what he was at, out “all” night, particularly after he got the boot from the police in 1989 up to last attacks in 1986. His attacks were long affairs as he searched the house, eat there and multiple rape attacks. I presume after being fired from the police he was casing houses from his own car parked on the streets. Yet there is nothing in any report of his unwanted presence in areas. To find out who lives in a house could invol watching a house for days on end. He then had to work out an escape plan if he found the house was vulnerable and it seems once he made a decision he was going in, he went in. I’m reminded of the big bad wolf and the 3 house types that the wolf attacked. It would seem the houses he choose were of the 2 foremost classes for him. Seems to be no alarms being used or CCTV or metal shutters or was it he choose houses without such.

His attacks were largely aimed at women or young females of childbearing age or emasculating males in their prime. He obv got a control buzz out of the rapes and in emasculating their male partners.

Amazing the only evidence till finally captured was his DNA signature. Was there not a DNA profile of his ethnicity ever done? Amazed there were never any finger or hand prints found. He had a finger damaged on one hand yet there is no witness evidence of such. If he wore gloves I’m sure he had to remove them during the intricacy of tying someone up which it appears was done with such force he left blood circulation problems for hours after it. He had no fear of being confronted by someone armed in the house, and once he got into a house behaved like an elephant in it. The fact he worked in the trucking company for almost 30yrs was at night would indicate he was an night owl. Its amazing such stability in employment for such a long period

It all appears so surreal and he came so close to permanently escaping. As for his trial and all that seems he is plea bargaining is to be saved from “old smokey”. Just to put the same fear into him as he did to his victims a program of refurbishing “old smokey” should start up and be given publicity. His victims whom I’m sure he permanently scarred need to all get their day in court. They have to be given the opportunity of choosing anonymity if the wish and to stare him in the eye to tell him what an evil monster he “is” and what he did to their lives.

A friend in a local hobby group lived in the area where/when he was active. She swears that she saw him one night. She was on her way from her apartment to her car and saw a guy that at first glance seemed just be strolling by. For whatever reason, she thought he was maybe a prowler and was casing the area.

Since he wasn't doing anything exactly wrong at that moment, she just got in her car and left. But she said that he gave off a weird, creepy vibe and scared her. She put it together when his current and older photos hit the newspapers after his arrest.

Was it the same guy? She swears it, so maybe, maybe not. Was there really a weird vibe back then or was it a memory thing? No way to know.

But I wonder if it speaks to a bigger picture (if it was him) of his ability to blend into an area, look like he belonged there, and go around casing areas without anyone getting suspicious.

One historical note from that time period: Sacramento, as the capitol, is home to all of the State agencies. Late 70s into the 80s is when computers were taking over major functions of State work, and many agencies had huge swing shifts and graveyard shifts of computer and clerical people. So seeing people out and about at all hours wouldn't really have stood out--everyone seemed to know someone who worked swing shift. He could easily have blended in as someone out to stretch their legs after a long shift at work and no one would have questioned him, even if he seemed to be looking at houses.

Just my thoughts.

Fascinating the victim like persona of theses monsters. Just looked at Dennis Rader trial “speech from the dock” and it was a control thing once again. It came across as thanking the authorities for catching the villains as if he too was a victim without any semblance to the enormity of his criminality. That was not an apology by Rader but a show in dealing with this feeling of inadequacy to giving an impression he was still in control conducting the show. Ted Bundy had the same type of fake charisma. It appears in DeAngelo case too in his arraignment in his “meekness”, barely audible response comes across as he is the biggest victim in the criminality at the same time in his neighborhood he needed no megaphone. As for the unusual odour from DeAngelo, I do believe it could have come from spraying himself with “dog repellent” the type he was convicted for shoplifting. Wonder if such would have a repellent effect on a Doberman sprayed on clothing that invaded their space in their back garden. It could also have a neutralizing effect on a police dog picking up a human scent.

The available evidence is DeAngelo has talks to the investigators and it can be presumed this took place during the 3 weeks interval between his arrest and first charging. With his present status, he has been charged pending trial for specific offenses and he can’t be further questioned on these specific charges till that trial is over. Police forces have to operate under the Rule of Law too and when it becomes apparent there is sufficient evidence they have to prefer charges as soon as possible and hand the whole procedure over to judicial control. That threshold of evidence for charging for an offense is reached when there is a belief there is a reasonable prospect of a conviction by a jury.

The evidence for his talking can be got from the fact that “The former Northern California police chief who fired suspected "Golden State Killer" Joseph DeAngelo said investigators told him the accused serial killer had come to his home one night to kill him.”. He was aware there was a prowler around his house soon after he fired DeAngelo after his conviction for theft. He did not see the prowler that night but his young daughter later that day told him a prowler shone a torch through their windows. He said he never considered DeAngelo was capable of killing so he did not associate him with the prowling incident or the killings.
'Golden State Killer' suspect once planned to kill ex-police chief who fired him

Do we know what he did in the period from 1979 after being fired as a policeman, to 1989 beginning work as a truck mechanic?

Totally unconfirmed but elsewhere I saw a mention that he was a stay at home dad who ran a car repair business out of his garage. That makes sense if you consider that Save-Mart wasn't going to hire a truck mechanic who had no background in the field and otherwise was a fired police officer from a full decade earlier.

However, if he did run a repair shop out of his garage then you would think a neighbor or former neighbor would have come forward with the information. It would have been well known.

I guess there's also the possibility the home garage could have been elsewhere (Southern California?), and not the Citrus Heights home, even though he apparently owned the Citrus Heights residence throughout the '80s. I think I remember it was purchased in April 1980.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukeyboy43
Back