CA CA - Edith Bonham, 77, Monrovia, 8 Oct 1979

The estimated age of the deceased is also not a match to Edith, who was 77 when she disappeared.

A rule out on this one is easy. The PD that has the records can be contacted. If confirmed it is definitely not Edith, the search continues.

Personally, I am intrigued by the reconstruction being so similar to the family OP's photo and the limited details of the Jane Doe that are a partial match.

Location where the skull was found is far from La Habra, her potential last location not too far from Monrovia, where she lived. So who knows?

I am not that familiar with researching UIDs. Some folks here at WS who are more active in that type of research could help in terms of finding potential matches.

Maybe @Springrain?

MOO

IMO -

As mentioned, Edith had full dentures, while the Doe had a full upper denture and partial lower denture with teeth with fillings. Edith was older than the estimate, but that's really not a big deal, since age estimates of skeletal remains can be off along with estimations of race. Just a few examples of this: Marilee Bruszer was thought to be about 10-15 years younger than she really was based off her remains; Julie Davis (who was white) was thought to be black based off her remains, like Janet Lee Lucas (who was also white) was thought to be Asian, specifically Japanese, based off her remains - there was also a woman who was black found in North Carolina (Whose name I cannot recall) who was thought to be white based off her remains. Sorry, I went off on a tangent, but my point is this:

I wouldn't rule Edith out as being the Jane Doe based off the age or other information about the body, however, the dentals don't lie. The discrepancy between Edith's full dentures and Doe's partial dentures is enough for a rule out JMO only.

IMO -

As mentioned, Edith had full dentures, while the Doe had a full upper denture and partial lower denture with teeth with fillings. Edith was older than the estimate, but that's really not a big deal, since age estimates of skeletal remains can be off along with estimations of race. Just a few examples of this: Marilee Bruszer was thought to be about 10-15 years younger than she really was based off her remains; Julie Davis (who was white) was thought to be black based off her remains, like Janet Lee Lucas (who was also white) was thought to be Asian, specifically Japanese, based off her remains - there was also a woman who was black found in North Carolina (Whose name I cannot recall) who was thought to be white based off her remains. Sorry, I went off on a tangent, but my point is this:

I wouldn't rule Edith out as being the Jane Doe based off the age or other information about the body, however, the dentals don't lie. The discrepancy between Edith's full dentures and Doe's partial dentures is enough for a rule out JMO only.
Edith had full upper dentures and partial lower dentures.

Wow. The similarity is pretty amazing. Are you planning to contact the Mountainview police?

If so, please share what you find out here. It would be incredible to have some closure after so many years although the "why" is still concerning.

Best wishes.
Yes I plan on contacting them and I for sure will keep y all posted.

Does anyone have resources on how to obtain vehicle information in california? i have struggled the most in this area of my research. Any help or pointers I would absolutely love and open to any suggestions or advice on this journey. Thanks in advance for any and all of the help. :)
When an older person goes missing with their vehicle (esp. one of limited means/ no known enemies, etc.) - you always have to consider water.

It seems like every week Adventures with a Purpose or some other group is finding the long-missing in bodies of water - many of which you might not expect could conceal a vehicle for a long time.

Just a thought.
I actually have already contacted Adventures with a Purpose and gave them all the information i had about edith and her car and disappearance. the only thing i cannot seem to obtain is the vin or plate number to her car. Unfortunately they were not in the area and that they would keep her info on file for hopefully future searches when they are in the area. I like the way you think @meanmaryjean, those guys are pretty amazing in my book. thanks for the tip very much appreciated :)

The estimated age of the deceased is also not a match to Edith, who was 77 when she disappeared.

A rule out on this one is easy. The PD that has the records can be contacted. If confirmed it is definitely not Edith, the search continues.

Personally, I am intrigued by the reconstruction being so similar to the family OP's photo and the limited details of the Jane Doe that are a partial match.

Location where the skull was found is far from La Habra, her potential last location not too far from Monrovia, where she lived. So who knows?

I am not that familiar with researching UIDs. Some folks here at WS who are more active in that type of research could help in terms of finding potential matches.

Maybe @Springrain?

MOO
well recently found out that there was like a 2-3 week time frame no one spoke to her or saw her meaning the family, before anyone went there to actually check on her. also there has been 2 different dates of her disappearance one is oct 18th and the other was oct 8th or 9th. i feel like that is a big window when someone is missing in my opinion. and i agree with what ur thoughts are on location the skull was found and the description does not match edith but i feel like there has to be some leeway when only partial remains are found but im not a professional. I attached a couple more pics of edith at different ages also.

Attachments

• edith .jpg
    edith .jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 4
  • edith1.jpg
    edith1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 4
  • edith2.jpg
    edith2.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 7
  • edith4.jpg
    edith4.jpg
    81.6 KB · Views: 5
  • edith5.jpg
    edith5.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 5
Some more information regarding Edith's disappearance and police usage of a clairvoyant.

edithbonham3.jpg
Thinking about Edith today.

I wanted to re-share facts in the article shared to open this thread.

I'm curious if her family members believed her disappearance involved a criminal act? What were/are their theories, if any?

Did she have any memory problems?

What about her neighbors? Did they ever offer any ideas?

Did she have a friend or relative in La Habra a where her gas credit card was last used?

Maybe someone with a Newspapers.com subscription could research any other stories about her disappearance from 1979 & 1980?

2022_06_07_14_54_59_067.jpg

I'm curious if her family members believed her disappearance involved a criminal act? What were/are their theories, if any?

Did she have a friend or relative in La Habra a where her gas credit card was last used?

Maybe someone with a Newspapers.com subscription could research any other stories about her disappearance from 1979 & 1980?

View attachment 348406
i have requested the police report but have not had any response yet. I have also wondered those questions. I have only been able to get info from Ediths daughter in law and she is 88 so its very minimal the info i do get. its been 43 yrs now and i really do not think anyone pushed her disappearance much. One son lived close to her in california he passed in 93 and the other lived in texas where he passed 2 yrs ago. her ex husband lived in norwalk which on a map la habra would be on the way to norwalk. her car has never popped up anywhere as far as we know. she did not have memory problems. i learned that her ex husband and her were in a bad car accident sometime before they divorced and she got a settlement cuz she was hurt broke her foot and was hurt pretty bad. they divorced in 69 and once she got her settlement moved to the trailer and bought her car also. possibly bought the car in a dealership in south pasadena.

View attachment 348406
also from the only brain i have had to pick they really did not have a theory but i do know that my friend and i have been pushing to find something cuz the only person that knew her is now 88 and she hopes to find or know something b4 she passes. also her ex husband Eugene apparently was not a very nice guy to edith but there was no known violence. I do know that with her first husband they would go square dancing all the time. she used to make the outfits and what not for the occassioins. I was told by the detective and my friends grandma that the signature looked like her hand writing but she signed the banks name instead of her own. that to me would be someone in distress hoping that someone would notice. but that is just my opinion. but its definately odd. i wish i could go to california and learn that part of the state and the terrain and roads and waterways etc.

View attachment 348406
so you saying something about newspapers.com subscription.......Im not 100% sure exactly what the articles say but I think I might of found names of the newspaper and dates that if someone is willing to look them up and see if the articles are any different then the one already on this thread. I also have done some more digging with my own ideas on what happened to her or more like what I feel happened to her. But Im not sure if I would be out of line with my thoughts.
Monrovia News Post 1/10/80, 2/11/87, 2/18/87, 3/4/87
Los Angeles Times 1/10/80, 1/17/80, 1/20/80

so you saying something about newspapers.com subscription.......Im not 100% sure exactly what the articles say but I think I might of found names of the newspaper and dates that if someone is willing to look them up and see if the articles are any different then the one already on this thread. I also have done some more digging with my own ideas on what happened to her or more like what I feel happened to her. But Im not sure if I would be out of line with my thoughts.
I see her gravestone has a death date of 1986. I assume this is based on the family petitioning for that/having her declared deceased? The newspaper notices in 1987 seem to be regarding that?

What do you think happened to her?

I see her gravestone has a death date of 1986. I assume this is based on the family petitioning for that/having her declared deceased? The newspaper notices in 1987 seem to be regarding that?

What do you think happened to her?
Yes that's when her oldest son finally decided to file for death certificate. I literally was just sitting here letting doris read the thread and got some more new information from her. She told me about a boyfriend that lived with her between her marriages to clarence and Eugene. So ill be doing some digging on this new person.
I have more than one theory being that I never met Edith and from what doris was just telling me the family never really talked about it at least not around her. Doris has a similar theory to one of mine and that she might of went off the road and into a body of water. I have 2 other theories. She liked to drive to vegas and play and would go by herself and that area is desolate so anyone could of seen an opportunity especially for the time she disappeared. Serial killers all around those parts :( and the other theory is that someone she knew did something to her and possibly took her car to a crusher or chopped it up who knows california is so big and so many places to hide things.

Also the mountain view police finally responded back and said he would for sure look into it and that those remains they were never able to recover DNA from it.

I searched UIDs in Namus & found a few possibilities. The one in PA is a long shot. Most are much closer to or in CA.

CAUTION: 1 post mortem photo

Attachments

• _1656473708962.jpg
    _1656473708962.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 6
This one was looked at here on WS as a potential match a few years ago. Take a look at the UID thread. I pulled it from Namus as well but hesitated. Interested in what you think @Tx2akgrown.

This one was looked at here on WS as a potential match a few years ago. Take a look at the UID thread. I pulled it from Namus as well but hesitated. Interested in what you think @Tx2akgrown.

Bumping for Edith. Would love for some of you super sleuthers to weigh in. Such an old case!

#FindEdithBonham

Bumping for Edith. Would love for some of you super sleuthers to weigh in. Such an old case!

#FindEdithBonham
i have looked at that serveral times but the height is to tall and it says its measured on namus. but i do not feel like the paperwork is that persons i def feel like it was there as a distraction. i have also gone back to those other ones u have in that picture and the one in PA does not seem to draw me in like some others do.

is there anyone who has a carfax account that is willing to look up the plate and car still not able to locate the vin number tho

@Tx2akgrown
You might want to look at this map of all Jane Does in NAMUS. Who knows, a potential match to Edith might pop up.

Original source post:
Hello, @subaw0067 , and welcome to Websleuths! :)
First of all, I want to thank you for your impressive work; your map is amazing! Keep up the good work!

----------

DDP just made a post about the map on its own:

"We are most fortunate to have been gifted with an amazing and sobering map created by Sarah Kladar:

Jane Does map

This is a WIP, and as of this morning there are 2,465 Does on the map, representing all females currently in NamUs. They've been plotted 100% by hand and thus far her total time spent on it is something like 250 hours. (She started last October.)

The colors are based on discovery date:

Red- Pre 1950
Orange 1950-1959
Yellow - 1960-1969
Green - 1970-1979
Blue 1980-1989
Purple- 1990-1999
Pink -2000-2009
White 2010-2019

Note – you can zoom out or in to areas of interest. When you click on each pin, information about the case pops up. Please be warned there are a few (non-graphic) autopsy photos for some of these entries.

If anyone has a correction or omission please contact Sarah on facebook or through email (s****k*****98@gmail.com)
Thank you, Sarah!"

(Sarah's e-mail adress has been edited by me, but do you catch my drift, @Laughing ?)

The ‘1/10/80’ one in the Monrovia Post is a same as the ‘1/10/80’ Los Angeles Times one.

The three other Monrovia Post articles are ‘Notice of Death’ etc. I have attached one of them.

I’ve also attached the articles from the Los Angeles Times.

Attachments

• 206EB2FD-4BA5-4306-9C30-5C10133364D5.jpeg
    206EB2FD-4BA5-4306-9C30-5C10133364D5.jpeg
    116.4 KB · Views: 2
  • DBB7EFEB-13CB-41AC-A871-EEFD4C7E333A.jpeg
    DBB7EFEB-13CB-41AC-A871-EEFD4C7E333A.jpeg
    190.7 KB · Views: 1
  • 44E5C8DE-AA28-4BA1-A6A0-E309D26105CD.jpeg
    44E5C8DE-AA28-4BA1-A6A0-E309D26105CD.jpeg
    101.3 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:

Members online