GUILTY CA - Jason Allen, 26, & Lindsay Cutshall, 22, slain, Jenner Beach, 15 Aug 2004 *Arrest*

Pepper said:
I don't remember their names, but this was a few months ago where an engaged couple, counselors at a Christian camp, were found murdered in their sleeping bags on the beach in the Big Sur area, I think.

Anyway, the story died rather quickly, and I don't think there were any suspects and no arrests have been made. If anyone has an update on this story, please post!

Thanks!
Yes, here is an update, a "one year later" story. You might have to enter a fake zip code to access the story. I'd LOVE to see this get its own Featured Case forum. Moderators, how does that happen? Here is the link:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-6/1124117222269270.xml&coll=6&thispage=1

Hoppy

So this is two different murders on a CA beach? I thought I was reading a dated story when I first began.

Beyond Belief said:
So this is two different murders on a CA beach? I thought I was reading a dated story when I first began.
I'm not sure of what you're asking. It is one crime, a double murder on a CA beach in August 2004. The link I posted last night is a followup story from August 2005. Does that help?

Hoppy

Investigators probing the murder of a young Missionary couple have released new details about the some of the evidence found at the murder scene.

~snip~

Sonoma County sheriff's investigators Tuesday released information about some of the items found at or near the crime scene, including journal writings by beach visitors, a photo of a necklace similar to one Cutshall may have been wearing at the time of the murder, and pictures of a hat located on a turn-out above the beach.

The sheriff's department also revealed for the first time that DNA evidence was collected at the crime scene that may have been deposited by the suspect. The nature of the DNA was not revealed.

more at link
http://cbs13.com/local/local_story_122175922.html

In processing the murder scene, investigators gathered evidence they are now publizicing in the hopes it will generate new leads.

The items are:

Entries in an informal journal left for beach visitors in a make-shift driftwood structure near the victims. Detectives would like to learn the identities of the authors.

*Entry #1 - Salutation from - "Friendly neighborhood Spiderman friend & sidekick!"

*Entry #2 - Another salutation from "Your friendly neighbor hood friend, Spiderman, 7/25/04" with a response, "Ha Ha Ha Spiderman, A, 8/12 A+, the Drifting Inn"

*Entry #3 - Contains a unique signature in the upper right corner and then contains a brief writing by "Chrissie" from "Auburn 7/10/04"

*Entry #4 - A rhyme talking about Santa Claus, leprechauns, and the tooth fairy.

*Entry #5 - This entry is dated 8/4/04 and signed by a uniquely written letter "R." It begins with the following: "At the Driftwood Inn, alone again, outside of myself and placid as hell ... "

Camo 40 beer bottle near the victims

Drawings of devil-like faces on driftwood found near the victims

A black-and-white patterned hat partially made with black and white fur that was located on a turn-out on Highway 1 above the beach

Not found was a necklace reportedly given to Cutshall shortly before the killings. The necklace was a transparent blue stone on what could be a leather cord.

http://www.news10.net/storyfull2.aspx?storyid=17346

Upper right has link to the evidence

San Francisco Chronicle
Wednesday, May 3, 2006

Tantalizing clues in pair's slaying

Sonoma County sheriff releases evidence that he hopes will stir people's memories
in killing of 2 vacationing campers on secluded beach

"Sonoma County detectives, stumped so far in their 20-month investigation into the mysterious slaying of a young couple on an ocean beach near Jenner, unveiled some items Tuesday collected at the scene -- devil-like faces carved in driftwood, a distinctive beer bottle and a DNA sample they think may have come from the killer.

Investigators took the unusual step of going public with their evidence in hope that it will breathe new life into their stalled case."

more...

Although the circumstances surrounding these crimes are eerily similar to that of the Zodiac, there is a lot of compelling circumstantial evidence to indicate that Arthur Leigh Allen was the Zodiac killer (he died of kidney failure in the early 90's) ---google his name for more info. However, you guys may definitely be on to something. It was obviously never proven that Lee or anyone else committed these crimes spanning a questionable time period given that the Zodiac has been suspected of commiting crimes that were previously not attributed to his reign of terror in the San Fran Area. (LE determined that he was responsible for 7 murders, however, the boastful Zodiac claimed responsibility for over 37 murders in approx 5 years, he also claimed that he changed his MO to avoid connnection to his other string of murders--this makes sense because he used firearms in some of his assaults but then used stabbin in the lake berryessa murders).

chicoliving said:
In processing the murder scene, investigators gathered evidence they are now publizicing in the hopes it will generate new leads.

The items are:

Entries in an informal journal left for beach visitors in a make-shift driftwood structure near the victims. Detectives would like to learn the identities of the authors.

*Entry #1 - Salutation from - "Friendly neighborhood Spiderman friend & sidekick!"

*Entry #2 - Another salutation from "Your friendly neighbor hood friend, Spiderman, 7/25/04" with a response, "Ha Ha Ha Spiderman, A, 8/12 A+, the Drifting Inn"

*Entry #3 - Contains a unique signature in the upper right corner and then contains a brief writing by "Chrissie" from "Auburn 7/10/04"

*Entry #4 - A rhyme talking about Santa Claus, leprechauns, and the tooth fairy.

*Entry #5 - This entry is dated 8/4/04 and signed by a uniquely written letter "R." It begins with the following: "At the Driftwood Inn, alone again, outside of myself and placid as hell ... "

Camo 40 beer bottle near the victims

Drawings of devil-like faces on driftwood found near the victims

A black-and-white patterned hat partially made with black and white fur that was located on a turn-out on Highway 1 above the beach

Not found was a necklace reportedly given to Cutshall shortly before the killings. The necklace was a transparent blue stone on what could be a leather cord.

http://www.news10.net/storyfull2.aspx?storyid=17346

Upper right has link to the evidence
You left out the .45 caliber rifle; that isn't a very common weapon. I think that caliber rifle is a great clue. I can't imagine someone roaming around with a .45 caliber rifle in their vehicle.

Someone took the time to draw these detailed devil faces, very evil individual...so sad that you just can't go out and enjoy America the beautiful, you've always got to be worried about some freak coming out of the woodwork to do you harm. Beautiful lives cut short....

2beautifulboys said:
Someone took the time to draw these detailed devil faces, very evil individual...so sad that you just can't go out and enjoy America the beautiful, you've always got to be worried about some freak coming out of the woodwork to do you harm. Beautiful lives cut short....
No telling when those faces were drawn; there are a lot of budding artists, as well as demented people, along the CA beaches, and it wouldn't be out of the ordinary to find things like this especially where there is an abundance of driftwoord. I'm hoping the .45 caliber rifle jogs someone's memory; sounds like some redneck militant, that doesn't like people who were a lot different than he is. The Camo 40 goes along with the militant theory:

http://www.40ozmaltliquor.com/camohg.html

SONOMA COUNTY, Calif. -- Police in California continue to search for the killer of a West Michigan youth minister and his fiancée.

Jason Allen of Zeeland and Lindsay Cutshall of Ohio were found dead on a northern California beach a year and a half ago.

Wednesday night, 24 Hour News 8 spoke with a sergeant from the Sonoma County Sheriff's Department. He says they've received more than 130 tips after the release of some evidence last month.

more at link http://woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=4921047

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-31/1155566762128710.xml&coll=6

The parents of a slain camp counselor from Zeeland [Michigan] hope to generate interest in the unsolved crime by traveling to the California beach where he and his fiancee were killed in 2004. Bob and Delores Allen will visit the beach in Sonoma County to mark the second anniversary of the slaying of their son, Jason Allen, 26, and his fiancee, Lindsay Cutshall, 22, of Ohio. Police believe they were shot to death on Aug. 14 or early Aug. 15 as they camped on an isolated beach. The families plan a press conference and prayer vigil at the beach.

hoppyfrog said:
http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-31/1155566762128710.xml&coll=6

The parents of a slain camp counselor from Zeeland [Michigan] hope to generate interest in the unsolved crime by traveling to the California beach where he and his fiancee were killed in 2004. Bob and Delores Allen will visit the beach in Sonoma County to mark the second anniversary of the slaying of their son, Jason Allen, 26, and his fiancee, Lindsay Cutshall, 22, of Ohio. Police believe they were shot to death on Aug. 14 or early Aug. 15 as they camped on an isolated beach. The families plan a press conference and prayer vigil at the beach.
I hope their visit is well-covered by the news media.

I too, thought release of some of the clues would possibly lead to an arrrest. LE mentioned that a .45 caliber rifle was used in the execution, and I might be wrong, but I think that a .45 caliber rifle is not a commonly carried rifle. I thought perhaps a tip would come in a result of that somewhat unusual rifle that was allegedly used.

http://woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=5281776

The family of a local youth minister killed two years ago is expected to speak publicly Tuesday.

The bodies of Jason Allen of Zeeland [Michigan] and his fiancée Lindsay Cutshall of Ohio were found on a northern California beach on August 15, 2004.

Authorities say the two were shot to death as they slept. No arrests have been made and they are still investigating the case.

Both families are planning to hold a news conference in the hopes of attracting new leads.

I hope this will generate some new leads. The killer is still out there.

This one has always held my interest. I hope the families speaking out will bring valid tips.

I think they should focus on the .45 caliber rifle. I don't know if they recovered a shell casing, but if they did, they should be able to show pictures of what this rifle might look like. They said a rifle was used, so I don't know if they determined that from an expended bullet, or they found a shell casing. If they have a casing, then they may be able to determine the type of rifle from the firing pin impression. I'm thinking it is a rifle that may have been passed down within a family, and if they can show pictures and have the media display the picture, then it might trigger someone's memory. I thought it was much more important than the artwork that was found, as anyone could have done the artwork.

I found an article that said it was a .45 caliber Marlin rifle, and apparently Marlin is still producing new models of them. Still it is a big bore weapon, and not traditionally used for hunting.

http://www.mlive.com/news/grpress/index.ssf?/base/news-31/115565333766510.xml&coll=6

JENNER, CALIF. -- Delores Allen gazed at the Pacific Ocean over a California bluff and knew why her son and his fiancee chose this place to camp.

"It was just the kind of spot they would have wanted to camp at," she said Monday from this small coastal town in northern California.

Allen and her husband, Robert, of Zeeland, planned to speak here at a press conference today from a visitor's center parking lot, hoping to generate new interest in the unsolved August 2004 murder of their son, Jason, and his fiancee, Lindsay Cutshall.

They left Friday for Jenner, a trip that marks the two-year anniversary of the shooting deaths, and spent part of Monday morning near where authorities discovered the bodies of the young camp counselors.

Until then, the Allens had not been to the crime scene.

"It was moving," Delores Allen said. "It was good for us to be there. We read some scripture and prayed."

The Allens made the journey with Cutshall's parents, Chris and Kathy, of Fresno, Ohio. Jason Allen, 26, and Lindsay Cutshall, 22, were in their sleeping bags on the beach when they were shot with a high-powered hunting rifle.

more at link

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WonderPony
Back