GUILTY CA - Jason Allen, 26, & Lindsay Cutshall, 22, slain, Jenner Beach, 15 Aug 2004 *Arrest*

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/article/20070815/NEWS/70815002/1033/NEWS01

Unfortunately it sounds like they still don't have anything. My thoughts and prayers are with the families this week as another anniversary passes with no new information.

"Jeff Winkler, a homeless artist who is well known at Petaluma’s Phoenix Theater, said he drew the images using a paint pen during an outing at the beach about two months before the slayings.

“I don’t dislike Christians,” he said. “I’m not Christian myself, but I’m definitely not Satanic. I draw all sorts of faces.”

Nevertheless, the dark images he created helped fuel the notion that Cutshall and Allen had unwittingly wandered into an evil lair.

Winkler said investigators interviewed him and ruled him out as a suspect, but that hasn’t diminished Chris Cutshall’s belief that his daughter was the victim of religious intolerance."

More at link.

http://www1.pressdemocrat.com/article/20070815/NEWS/70815002/1033/NEWS01

Unfortunately it sounds like they still don't have anything. My thoughts and prayers are with the families this week as another anniversary passes with no new information.

"Jeff Winkler, a homeless artist who is well known at Petaluma’s Phoenix Theater, said he drew the images using a paint pen during an outing at the beach about two months before the slayings.

“I don’t dislike Christians,” he said. “I’m not Christian myself, but I’m definitely not Satanic. I draw all sorts of faces.”

Nevertheless, the dark images he created helped fuel the notion that Cutshall and Allen had unwittingly wandered into an evil lair.

Winkler said investigators interviewed him and ruled him out as a suspect, but that hasn’t diminished Chris Cutshall’s belief that his daughter was the victim of religious intolerance."

More at link.
I had hoped the caliber of the rifle used would provide a clue to this senseless execution, but unfortunately, not so far. There can't be that many .45 caliber rifles around.

I would have thought the same thing! This is fairly local for me and I still think about them all the time. My gut tells me that the gun is not registered, possilbly passed down through generations, etc. which is why it's not producing and leads. I don't think that the information that they released last year had much of anything to do with the case. It's common to find bear cans/bottles, trash, etc. on the beaches here. I'm guessing that they didn't clear the beach before the settled in.

I wish that there was more information out there. Somebody knows something.

This is heartbreaking, I can't help but believe there is some connection to the couple killed in 2004--in fact, at first I thought this thread was about them!

Somebody out there does know something, but I'm afraid there is one and only one person who knows, and that person is the killer.

This is heartbreaking, I can't help but believe there is some connection to the couple killed in 2004--in fact, at first I thought this thread was about them!

????

This thread IS about the couple killed in 2004.

I don't think it has to do with religious intolerance, it sounds more like a serial killer, IMO..
The makeshift driftwood journal could just be random people, however entry #5 is bothersome to me:

*Entry #5 - This entry is dated 8/4/04 and signed by a uniquely written letter "R." It begins with the following: "At the Driftwood Inn, alone again, outside of myself and placid as hell ... "

Even though the devil faces carved in aren't related, it reminds me of the recent case in Florida where that boy shot the couple who were camping out in another park. If i remember right, he had carved a mean face into a tree also. There's no way he could have done these in Ca, as he's in jail; yet it is just an oddity, that leads me to think a serial killer. That was what that boy wanted to be in FL.

I would have thought the same thing! This is fairly local for me and I still think about them all the time. My gut tells me that the gun is not registered, possilbly passed down through generations, etc. which is why it's not producing and leads. I don't think that the information that they released last year had much of anything to do with the case. It's common to find bear cans/bottles, trash, etc. on the beaches here. I'm guessing that they didn't clear the beach before the settled in.

I wish that there was more information out there. Somebody knows something.
All it takes is for one person to know about the existence of that .45 caliber rifle. I can't help but believe that it is someone that lives somewhere in that surrounding area. It kind of reminds me that, for many years, there were people living in the Santa Cruz Mountains, that were capable of something like this, and there are probably still even a few, like that, remaining today. Old hippies, whose old VW buses became homes deep in the mountains.

This is eerie. I was looking for another old thread today when I saw this thread and it had a few posts in it that I hadn't read, so I responded to one of the posts. So, here it is later in the day, and I run across a news article just released.

Sonoma Beach Murders Still Unsolved After 3 Years

(BCN) SANTA ROSA Three years after two devout Christian camp counselors were found slain on a Sonoma Coast beach, the Sonoma County Sheriff's Department has encouraged anyone with information that could help solve the case to come forward.

Lt. Robert Giordano said the investigation has been "far reaching and non-stop for the past three years" but the deaths of 22-year-old Lindsay Cutshall, of Fresno, Ohio and 26-year-old Jason Allen of Zeeland, Mich. remain unsolved.

They were found slain in separate sleeping bags on Aug. 18, 2004 on Fish Head Beach near Jenner. Each was shot in the head with a .45 caliber Marlin rifle with a semi-automatic or lever action. The engaged couple came from an El Dorado County Christian youth camp to the Bay area to sightsee before their wedding scheduled for September 2004. In May 2006 the sheriff's department said journal writings, a hat, drawings and a Camo Lager beer bottle were found at the scene. Journal entries were written by visitors and left on a makeshift driftwood structure at the beach.

Lt. Robert Giordano confirmed this afternoon that the drawings of demon faces on driftwood were made by a Petaluma artist, Jeff Winkler, who the lieutenant said was not a suspect. There was speculation last year that the murders were committed by someone who was angered by the slain couple’s devout Christianity. "I'd rather not comment on what we know about the drawings,” Giordano said Saturday afternoon.

http://cbs5.com/local/local_story_230201652.html

I've thought about this case off and on since it happened. Wondering if they ever caught who murdered this couple. If Jeff Winkler isn't a suspect why does the last line of the article say "I'd rather not comment on what we know about the drawings"?

I've thought about this case off and on since it happened. Wondering if they ever caught who murdered this couple. If Jeff Winkler isn't a suspect why does the last line of the article say "I'd rather not comment on what we know about the drawings"?
The article is misleading; about the drawings, I think that is an old statement from early in the case, before they resolved that issue.

I think we would all be better served if LE released everything they know so that the public might get re-involved. Who knows, LE might know something that would trigger someone's memory, and help solve this case. I think, all too often, LE holds everything they know, too close to the vest, whereas if they released everything they know, or suspect, they, and the public, would be better off, and the crime could possibly be solved. LE has nothing to lose at this time by doing so.

Isn't there a website for this crime???

Isn't there a website for this crime???

I was just looking to see if there was any news about this sad case and I did find this blogspot dedicated to the couple. Unfortunately, there is nothing new to report but there is an overview of the case and other interesting reading at the blog.

http://jason-lindsay.blogspot.com/

That is a beautiful memorial page to this Christian couple. Thank you for providing the link.

I pray that this crime will be solved and that the families can find some resolution. What a tragic waste of two beautiful human beings.
I am just glad that their families' faith is sustaining them. Linsday's father said it so well that " She went to sleep and then woke up in hte arms of Jesus Christ . " May LE find and bring to justice the one responsible for this heinous crime.

oh rats. i thought maybe some new information was found. maybe someday.

http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7954870

3 March 08

Police in Northern California are investigating a homicide on a beach just miles away from the 2004 murder scene of two youth ministers. One of them was from West Michigan.

Police say they found the body of a man early Sunday morning near Blind Beach.

That's just south of the small community of Jenner, and just four miles south of Fish Head Beach.

Jason Allen, 26, of Zeeland and Lindsay Cutshall, 22, of Ohio were Christian camp counselors and were found fatally shot there, beneath an isolated coastal bluff in August of 2004.

The couple was camping on Fish Head Beach when they were shot while in their sleeping bags.

The case is still unsolved.

Four people were arrested in Sunday's homicide.

Police in California say it's too early to say if there is any connection between Sunday's homicide and the 2004 unsolved case.

I havent heard of a thing.
I was following this case too.
I hope a break comes because whoever did this needs to be caught and brought to justice.

thank you for the thread link. I had lindsays last named spelled wrong.

I agree with some of the posters about the .45 caliber. It's probably been handed down. But a bit gun for sure. One that would have maybe been on someone's 'gun rack' in a truck or of course anywhere in a vehicle. But a good possiblilty somone as a passenger in such vehicle would most likely have seen? Unless of course the possesser of the gun rode alone or is a loner. I don't think somone would be walking around or riding a bike with such a large weapon. I also agree a more national release of the evidence (pic of gun and the necklance) may provide some additional tips.

I don't how to have this merged with the thread you gave me, or moved to the state sub forums or if it should stay here. stupid newbie.

probably another stupid question. But how can they tell they were "shot in their sleep", actually sleeping?

Does anyone know what the couple wrote in the 'notebook' at this make-shift driftwood site? I thought I had heard one of the relatives say something like they at least knew what they were thinking/feeling about shortly before their deaths. Which I assume reflected their Christian beliefs, and why the father feels strongly this was why they were killed. I just can't figure if the killer:
A. Read this, saw them sleeping and shot them. (how well was this area lit?)
B. Had a 'conversation' with them about Christianity and left, pondered, came back, shot them.
C. Neither and did it to do it. For other reasons.

It sounds like at this point, LE has nothing more to lose. I hope the something comes to light soon.

Sky, a mod can merge threads if they want. It's not a problem starting a new one. No worries.

As for the shooting in their sleep, my best guess is that LE determined that based on no defensive wounds or indicators that they tried to get away, turn from their attacker, etc. That's just a guess, tho.

Hmm, I have to go read about the notebook; I can't remember anything about it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CLWho
Back