CA CA - Neal King, 25, Oroville, 26 March 2013

I was wondering that same thing, Wolf. Who towed the car? I seem to recall in other cases that California has a parking patrol or some such thing that tags and tows cars that are parked for a prolonged period on residential streets? Maybe a local can chime in on that.

(I'm kind of getting a Gavin Smith vibe here....)

Thanks for starting this thread, Surfie! May I suggest a modification to its title? Chicoresident almost sounds like an aka for this MP. A space between Chico and resident would fix it. :)

Abandoned cars are indeed removed from streets in CA (and without too long a wait). Without going thru the long list of relevant cites, I refer to the DMV Vehicle Code which applies:

Chapter 10. Removal of Parked and Abandoned Vehicles

hth/jmo

ETA: Thank you for 'fixing' the thread title! :)

Tupperware Convention? :fence:

Ha! Mention of the surname Tupper in the OP article was not lost by me either. <g>

It is indeed mysterious that the nature of the business meeting apparently cannot be disclosed at this point in time.

~jmo~

Somehow this reminds me of Stephen K. from Utah; didn't he vanish from a subdivision?

This story makes no sense as Neal's sister tells it.

If the girlfriend and Neal are inseparable, why in heaven's name would she wait four days to report him missing? Not that it matters in relation to finding him or a crime of violence being perpetrated against him, but are we talking about a drug deal that went bad?

This story makes no sense as Neal's sister tells it.

If the girlfriend and Neal are inseparable, why in heaven's name would she wait four days to report him missing? Not that it matters in relation to finding him or a crime of violence being perpetrated against him, but are we talking about a drug deal that went bad?

Yes, something is clearly amiss here; and until LE releases more info, we are left to flounder. Too many possibilities are suggested without being able to discern which could be probabilities.

Altho I doubt the cases are related, I could not help but notice the similar attributes of another young man who has been missing since February from the Sonoma/Santa Rosa area.

Jason Kyles

and

CA CA - Jason Kyles - 34 years old - Oakmont/Sacramento - 1-Feb-2013 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

~jmo~

Just from reading around fb on the gf's profile, it seems she may have went away and came back on the 21st??! JMO

This does not look like an area in which a car would be towed.

This does not look like an area in which a car would be towed.

I totally agree. it looks fairly rural and the houses seem set pretty far back. I'd assume he would pull up into the driveway of whatever residence he was visiting but then again this whole "business meeting" thing sounds really odd to me.

here's a link to the google map if anybody wants to "walk" around the area:

http://goo.gl/maps/1KlC0

So weird. Definitely does remind me of Steven Koecher...

His poor GF. I thought it was hinky she didn't report him missing for 4 days, but then I found her FB. She sounds totally devastated.... I don't think I'm allowed to link, but to paraphrase/note some observations:

• She was out of town visiting family/friends and got back on the 21st, but on the 30th she says he's been missing 4 days.... so I'm assuming that means she saw him between the 21st and the 26th
  • He apparently told her he was going to see a friend at 1030 on the 26th, which is different than the reported story about a business meeting
  • She says she is the one who found the car in the place he was supposed to be
  • She says that she has checked his phone and credit card records, and there is no activity since the 26th
  • I get the impression that they aren't into anything "sketchy"... Go to church together, very into hiking and fitness... I'd be very surprised if the "business meeting" he was going to was anything illegal... although impressions can be very wrong sometimes...

JMO and all that...

Can someone give me a hint as to how to find the GF's page? I have not found a trace of an online presence for Neal, anyone else?

Nothing new ...
http://www.chicoer.com/news/ci_22921130/few-new-details-case-missing-chico-man

She's a member of one of the Find Neal King pages -

https://www.facebook.com/groups/515035768554957/

If you look through the member list - her profile pic is of her and Neal. Initials are JT. (Hope that's ok to post here?)

I can't find an online presence for Neal either. It seemed like some of his family was using the GF's FB to communicate with him informally at times. He's not tagged in any of her photos or on her friends list, so I have to assume he's either got super maximum FB security settings on, or else just doesn't have an account.

There is clearly an issue with the following:

Police are hesitant to discuss personal details and names of people involved in the business meeting due to the nature of the case, and will be moving the
case to county jurisdiction, said Officer Terry Tupper of the Chico Police Department.

Hopefully the personal details and names of people involved are classified for some reason other than some potential involvement in his disappearance.

Respectfully snipped... Due to the "nature of the case"? What kinds of friends/business associates was he hanging out with? This is troubling to me. Does anyone know what the purpose of moving the case from a local to a county jurisdiction would be?

I thought this site was pretty useful for getting a lay of the neighborhood where his car was found and who lives there....

http://www.spokeo.com/Hildale+Ave+Oroville+CA+addresses#

He apparently wasn't secretive about where he was going, as his GF found the car where she expected him to be. So what happened? The Chico ER stated in the comments under a FB post that they can't go into details without compromising the case, but stated that it was a business meeting at a private home. I can't find anything anywhere about what Neal did for a living... They must be keeping this info back for a reason? Whatever kind of business he was involved in, it was appropriate to wear casual wear - a casual shirt, jeans and hiking shoes.

I'm also on the fence about the 4 days to report him missing. First I thought it seemed weird, then I retracted after seeing the GFs FB, but now I'm thinking weird again... From all accounts, they did everything together, and checked in daily if they weren't going to be in the same place. Did she not report it for 4 days, or did they not let her file a report for 4 days?

On Neal's mother's FB page, it seems that her posts IMO sound like Neal left on his own - mabye I'm just interpreting them wrong though..

On Neal's mother's FB page, it seems that her posts IMO sound like Neal left on his own - mabye I'm just interpreting them wrong though..

I didn't get that impression at first, but I went back to look again..

Her status from yesterday could be interpreted that way, and one of the quotes she has posted from yesterday about being lonely or in darkness... Was he depressed?

Total speculation, but maybe that was why there was a delay in reporting him missing... Maybe having a hard time and asked the GF for some space?

I feel so bad for the GF... It appears she had a close family member pass away recently, and now her partner is missing. I hope they find him soon!

Someone else has posted under one of the news sites photos of Neal that there's a "dope dealer" (he said it a lot less nicely) on the 4000 block of Hilldale. Maybe not such a quiet residential neighborhood afterall?

https://www.facebook.com/OrovilleMR (See the comments under the picture posted Sunday.)

Respectfully snipped... Due to the "nature of the case"? What kinds of friends/business associates was he hanging out with? This is troubling to me. Does anyone know what the purpose of moving the case from a local to a county jurisdiction would be?

snipped

If the city's police force is kind of small, then it makes sense to turn it over to a county jurisdiction because they have more manpower and in some places, more extensive training and equipment.
Or the house where the business meeting took place was not within city limits, perhaps. That's all I can come up with right now.

Her status from yesterday could be interpreted that way, and one of the quotes she has posted from yesterday about being lonely or in darkness... Was he depressed?

Total speculation, but maybe that was why there was a delay in reporting him missing... Maybe having a hard time and asked the GF for some space?

I feel so bad for the GF... It appears she had a close family member pass away recently, and now her partner is missing. I hope they find him soon!

Someone else has posted under one of the news sites photos of Neal that there's a "dope dealer" (he said it a lot less nicely) on the 4000 block of Hilldale. Maybe not such a quiet residential neighborhood afterall?

https://www.facebook.com/OrovilleMR (See the comments under the picture posted Sunday.)

Agreed. It could mean he was depressed or it could be nothing more than assumptions or naiveness. I saw the drug comment too - I hope that's not the case.

On Neal's gf's page, someone does refrence smoking a blunt. Hey, I think everyone's been there done that but for some, the people associated could be bad news.

I hope he's just taking time to think, but there just seems like something is missing from what we know. I get that not everything can be released for a variety of reasons, but darn it I want to know more!

Unfortunately when I heard about his disappearance and then heard "business meeting" tied with oroville, that's what came to mind. I went to college up in Chico and have some in laws that live up that way and share the local news. I'd have to assume the likelihood of this likely being the business meeting. MOO. If that makes sense. Of course this occurs everywhere, but really very, very common in these hippy-type areas.

So now he has been out of contact how many days? Maybe Websleuths has made me a pessimist, but I dread the outcome. There are too many puzzle pieces missing or plain upside-down... And the pic shows him as a gentle type... I mean in the sense of, he doesn't strike me as a tough survivor macho guy who'd brawl himself out of a bad situation if he found himself in such... :(

MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back