Identified! CA - Out-of-town family finds unidentified body in freezer of home they were staying at - Dec 23, 2023 - Mary Margaret Haxby-Jones

Except some of the calls were made right around and possibly after Mary was deceased and as it's been stated, no one has officially seen Mary since approx 2009. Some of those calls were made in 2014 and 2015. So, who were the calls made for/about? Why didn't anyone speak to Mary, who is the homeowner of the residence that the calls were in reference? I feel that something would have been revealed much sooner than now if that had been done. JMO.
I agree the calls made around 2014/15 are important, because that was around the time when Mary disappeared (potentially 9 years ago, not 2009).

My point, I suppose, was more that a call/complaint being made to police is not the same as an investigation leading to charges, so the complaint is not 'proof' or evidence of anything, eg elder abuse in 2019.

JMO

The case is not really about the alarm of what the visitors found......... the case is about "how and when Mary died". If the guy in the house is the ex husband, who had once been on the property deed, and still was living there........ I could see them putting him in 'some institution' for observation, rather than arresting him. Yet. I think we would see if he has been arrested.

My husband grew up in Allied Gardens <modsnip: no links> It's upsetting there were so many calls about the Zion house yet nothing was uncovered. I'm curious who made the well-check calls. A body does not get in a freezer by itself so this is not going to turn out well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mary Margaret Haxby-Jones worked as a nurse anesthetist in San Diego for nearly two decades before resigning in 1999. “Mary Margaret will be remembered as a dedicated healthcare professional and will be greatly missed by all of us at Kaiser Permanente that had the privilege to work alongside her.” Haxby-Jones worked at the Zion Medical Center from 1980 until 1999, according to a Kaiser Permanente spokesperson. A relative of Haxby-Jones by marriage, who asked not to be identified due to the ongoing investigation, said she doesn’t believe the woman had any blood relatives and noted that the family “is estranged.” Although the relative hadn’t seen Haxby-Jones since 1995, she described her as someone who smiled often and loved to get her nails and hair done. Haxby-Jones and her husband also rescued exotic birds, she recalled. She added that Haxby-Jones is a military veteran. Google Street View images of the home where records show Haxby-Jones lived show a car with a sticker reading “U.S. Army Retired.”
I'll try to find her Army records, nothing has popped up on Ancestry yet.

Just noticing this in what you quoted:

"relative of Haxby-Jones by marriage, who asked not to be identified due to the ongoing investigation, said she doesn’t believe the woman had any blood relatives".

Just in relation to the interesting info you posted above.

I have not been able to find any military records for Mary.
I'm surprised that reporters weren't all over that.
Whenever there's a tragic shooting event done by a veteran or active military member the suspect's military history is published.
Are military records not publicly available or is it the military that has to release any info that's allowed under the their law if they so choose?

I'm surprised that reporters weren't all over that.
Whenever there's a tragic shooting event done by a veteran or active military member the suspect's military history is published.
Are military records not publicly available or is it the military that has to release any info that's allowed under the their law if they so choose?

Nope, not available. In theory, LE has access.

I suppose people who knew MMHJ are keeping quiet, or presumed she was deceased by this time? Or have passed away?

I hope LE is thorough....

"Jones" is Mary's family name, the info on her parents was posted a few days ago.
Here's Mary's sister's obituary showing "Jones".

Really, we just don't know and may never know. Unlinked statements tied MMHJ to that obit.

And, the informant -- person who provides information for an unplanned obit or a death certificate -- just may not know.

Genealogy has plenty of pitfalls.

jmho ymmv lrr

My husband grew up in Allied Gardens and I do genealogy. <modsnip> It's upsetting there were so many calls about the Zion house yet nothing was uncovered. I'm curious who made the well-check calls. A body does not get in a freezer by itself so this is not going to turn out well.
Have you seen this reporting?

What San Diego police haven't said about the body in ...

1705361387241.png
NBC 7 San Diego
https://www.nbcsandiego.com › news › local › what-...

Jan 5, 2024 — Joseph and Amparo Lucenro gave the house to Jones and Robert Haxby in 1986. In 1992, the name on the deed was altered to include just Jones ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Really, we just don't know and may never know. Unlinked statements tied MMHJ to that obit.

And, the informant -- person who provides information for an unplanned obit or a death certificate -- just may not know.

Genealogy has plenty of pitfalls.

jmho ymmv lrr
I would think that her sister's obit from 2012 which was before Mary went "missing" or was "dead" would be right-on about close relatives and their location?

I would think that her sister's obit from 2012 which was before Mary went "missing" or was "dead" would be right-on about close relatives and their location?

Hard to know if that obit actually includes MMHJ. Was that obit provided by a family member? iirc, meia reports state that MMHJ had no family?

If I was handling this genealogy on contract, I would keep that obit -- and keep going. I'd spend most of my time & energy & the client's $$$ in the line @BooshSlooth & I found.

Unless RH was married to a Susie at that point, kind of a leap to suggest 'Susie' as a nickname for Mary Margaret imho.

Not unusual for a adult siblings to own property together, especially if one (MMHJ) has no known descendants.

I own real estate with a sibling.

On the other hand, hyphenating a married surname in that order -- Spouse Surname-Family of Origin Surname -- is unusual in English speaking groups, but found in Hispanic groups.

We'll probably never know.

jmho ymmv lrr

Many Army records are not on Ancestry or other databases if they are Vietnam era or more recent. This is because the veteran may be alive, and some records are considered private. In such a case, accessing records can require permission from the veteran if he/she is still alive. There is a US National Archives webpage that explains which military records are available to the public.

The only hesitation I have about that obit of NB, is that it lists her San Diego sister as Susie. I really hesitate to jump to the conclusion of 'oh, that must have been the family's old nickname for Mary'. I disagree, in obituaries I've written or seen, you put the name the relative uses in real life, maybe include the childhood nickname in brackets.

With all the Marys, Roberts (Bobs) born in the 1940s, there are many potential traps.

As I think some have mentioned, Jones could have been a married name, too.

My aunt (born 15 years earlier) was married quite young and quickly divorced, to her family's humiliation. She never remarried but she kept her married name for the rest of her life. (I had to ask my Dad why she had a different name).

JMO

Hard to know if that obit actually includes MMHJ. Was that obit provided by a family member? iirc, meia reports state that MMHJ had no family?

If I was handling this genealogy on contract, I would keep that obit -- and keep going. I'd spend most of my time & energy & the client's $$$ in the line @BooshSlooth & I found.

Unless RH was married to a Susie at that point, kind of a leap to suggest 'Susie' as a nickname for Mary Margaret imho.

Not unusual for a adult siblings to own property together, especially if one (MMHJ) has no known descendants.

I own real estate with a sibling.

On the other hand, hyphenating a married surname in that order -- Spouse Surname-Family of Origin Surname -- is unusual in English speaking groups, but found in Hispanic groups.

We'll probably never know.

jmho ymmv lrr
Sorry, missed your post as I was composing mine. I agree, except that I do think her biography will be revealed after this issue is resolved, I think.people will want to honor her now, as she was not honored at her death.

JMO

At my age, I can tell you that not only are we the same people we've always been, we're More So as we're more strongly inclined in whichever direction it was. Our filters sometimes disappear completely and we become more concentrated versions of the younger us. A sweet, kind person becomes sweeter and kinder (except with Alzheimers which sometimes flips personalities {according to what I've seen}), and a nasty grouch becomes nastier and grouchier and more difficult to live with; an ego becomes bigger and bossier .

That is one of the smartest observations I have ever read, and you formulated it very well, too.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tickletickle
Back