Identified! CA - Out-of-town family finds unidentified body in freezer of home they were staying at - Dec 23, 2023 - Mary Margaret Haxby-Jones

Except it seems the body was in poor condition indicating that it had been there for some time.

So, I wonder...Wouldn't there be pre-arrival communication? I can't think of a single time I visited someone without advance notice. Usually there's at least some back-and-forth prior to arrival. "We expect to be there around 5", "This is our flight number", "Is there anything you want from our area?" That sort of thing.

And if I did try to communicate with them and they were incommunicado, I don't think I'd wait until I'd arrived. I'd call an emergency contact, or failing that I'd request the police do a wellness check.

Edit - I suppose it's possible that this was meant as a surprise visit.

In some families, spontaneous holiday visits are a thing. And it was not so long ago (in my lifetime) that it was common. Not everyone has a cell phone (older people living in their longterm homes are less likely to have them). Not everyone has an answering machine (none of my elders did).

I went many times to my elderly aunts' and uncles' houses without notification because...deafness ran in the family and there was NO way that even a landline based call could get across to them. It's not exactly rare.

I never thought to call emergency people, partly because all of my elder relatives saying that they did not want such a thing - and my dad and his family, specifically, saying that they did NOT want an ambulance or a hospital or any medical care. They were pretty old (80's) when they said this - and, well, I have the same view. I do NOT want emergency services (unless ordered by my spouse). This is very common. Not everyone is alike.

Since so many of my relatives are relatively "incommunicado" I would be calling local emergency services (scant, already, where they live) every year.

At any rate, many of us "drop by" our relatives' houses near the holidays and don't think a thing of it, if they didn't pick up the phone in advance. My grandmother comes to mind - and she did have a daughter (my aunt) living nearby, but half the family was blocked on the phone by that aunt, so, well, there's that.

Many variables. IMO. Not all families are alike. And families with contemporary elder people may very well lack resources for getting help. I could drive to a relative's house faster than the police response would be for an unprovoked welfare check on me. It would happen eventually - but we don't know where the relatives lived. Sounds like at least a few hours away. For all we know, they drove from Riverside. 2 hours away. After not receiving communication. And no - I wouldn't call LE first in that instance.

You can ask others in SoCal for their responses - I could be really weird. But not for a minute do I believe an elderly woman over 4'10" tall "fell" into a chest freezer (purchased before current standards - so in the 1950's) that had a lid she couldn't open by simply sitting up.

If she had a heart attack at exactly the moment she somehow was propelling herself into a chest freezer, all bets off. I can reach the bottom of mine without taking my heels off the floor, but I suppose a woman of 5'0" might have to stretch (but fall in? there has to be a medical event/extremely frailty for that to happen, IMO).

IMO.

The mailbox is a really good thought. While it is possible this was accidental, I have stayed away from it because the body was badly decomposed.

However, since we have no idea of time frame, the homeowner could have fallen in, died and been frozen -- as I would have expected to find the body if utilities were still on in the house. With auto pay, the utilities would have remained on, but the mail would have become noticeable.

Without auto pay, time passed and without anyone home to pay the bills, eventually power was shut off, the body thawed and decomposed.

I can see a scenario where the body landed in the freezer accidently and there was no one around to notice.
Not to be morbid or TMI but I am thinking of my own family who is currently in hospital and elderly. I could easily see my own family being injured by something like a household chore. We take turns checking on the house, had dinner there on Christmas day and I check in a few times a week to maintain everything. The bills are auto and the paper is cancelled but the mail, esp at this time did pile up even if left for 2 or more days.

But I say all of that without knowing at all what happened in this case. Perhaps not even close to the same thing, I was just speculating about the "homeowner fell in freezer" theory.

Do you have any news articles indicating an elder-death where someone "fell in" a freezer? Not aimed just at you - others keep saying this.

I live in California and try to follow crime news here. But really? Are there cases of someone falling into a chest freezer (the height of which must be slightly more than 33" tall - and that's been in place for a very long time - I want to say, since the 50's when child deaths per freezer - although rare - brought California to strict rules).

It is likely to be one of the homeowners/dwellers in the freezer, because it would be odd if some stranger came in and put themselves in a freezer (almost impossible to close/lock from the inside - as, well, California doesn't allow locks on chest freezers, plus, any adult except a very very short one can use their legs to open the freezer). Air is all that is immediately needed for life.

But this person died (and decomposed) inside a freezer. It's possible that the faint odor of decomp led their children/grandchildren/family members to open the lid. It's also possible the visiting family found the body without any suspicion.

Usually, when bodies are placed in freezers, it's with the goal of slowing decomp, so as to throw off LE as to time of death.

So, this "she fell into a freezer" thing is strange to me and I'd like to see someone sleuth that. When has that happened??

IMO. Speculation. Questioning.
I would have to Google to find out as I don't keep that kind of information on hand.

Many people here have speculated that whoever is in the freezer fell inside, accidentally. Not sure how one would accomplish that but anything is possible. MOO.

In some families, spontaneous holiday visits are a thing. And it was not so long ago (in my lifetime) that it was common. Not everyone has a cell phone (older people living in their longterm homes are less likely to have them). Not everyone has an answering machine (none of my elders did).

I went many times to my elderly aunts' and uncles' houses without notification because...deafness ran in the family and there was NO way that even a landline based call could get across to them. It's not exactly rare.

I never thought to call emergency people, partly because all of my elder relatives saying that they did not want such a thing - and my dad and his family, specifically, saying that they did NOT want an ambulance or a hospital or any medical care. They were pretty old (80's) when they said this - and, well, I have the same view. I do NOT want emergency services (unless ordered by my spouse). This is very common. Not everyone is alike.

Since so many of my relatives are relatively "incommunicado" I would be calling local emergency services (scant, already, where they live) every year.

At any rate, many of us "drop by" our relatives' houses near the holidays and don't think a thing of it, if they didn't pick up the phone in advance. My grandmother comes to mind - and she did have a daughter (my aunt) living nearby, but half the family was blocked on the phone by that aunt, so, well, there's that.

Many variables. IMO. Not all families are alike. And families with contemporary elder people may very well lack resources for getting help. I could drive to a relative's house faster than the police response would be for an unprovoked welfare check on me. It would happen eventually - but we don't know where the relatives lived. Sounds like at least a few hours away. For all we know, they drove from Riverside. 2 hours away. After not receiving communication. And no - I wouldn't call LE first in that instance.

You can ask others in SoCal for their responses - I could be really weird. But not for a minute do I believe an elderly woman over 4'10" tall "fell" into a chest freezer (purchased before current standards - so in the 1950's) that had a lid she couldn't open by simply sitting up.

If she had a heart attack at exactly the moment she somehow was propelling herself into a chest freezer, all bets off. I can reach the bottom of mine without taking my heels off the floor, but I suppose a woman of 5'0" might have to stretch (but fall in? there has to be a medical event/extremely frailty for that to happen, IMO).

IMO.
I agree with you that the possibility of someone falling in is at the bottom of my list of maybes. It's still there because some really strange things really do happen occasionally -- way, way down .1 of 1 percent, etc. just weird "shXX."

On the other hand if someone did fall in, that same person then had to have the strength to climb back out . . .

The "badly decomposed body" is what makes me put this possibility at the bottom. The electric was prob turned off -- why? And exactly how long had it been since someone checked on this person?

I even looked up the Larry Millette case mentioned and wondered again -- how would he have known the house was empty to move and dump a freezer into the location? WHERE was the freezer? In the garage, more likely for a dropped off freezer, don't you think? But inside the house - less plausible.

Plus, if it should tie to Larry Millete -- what perfect timing if the answer is something as off-the-wall as that.

Wouldn't that be something Rosesfromangels?
It certainly would kkdj! Our speculations are grounded in solid facts. The distance between the M household and where this freezer/body was found is relatively close in proximity. We know that early on in the case, it was determined that a freezer was moved from the LM household to a relatives. (Link below). We know MM was very petite, and could have potentially fit in the freezer - and the list goes on.

This is all likely just a coincidence, but I certainly can't help but wonder....could it be? And yes, kkdj it would be a mind blower!

Amateur opinion and speculation

It certainly would kkdj! Our speculations are grounded in solid facts. The distance between the M household and where this freezer/body was found is relatively close in proximity. We know that early on in the case, it was determined that a freezer was moved from the LM household to a relatives. (Link below). We know MM was very petite, and could have potentially fit in the freezer - and the list goes on.

This is all likely just a coincidence, but I certainly can't help but wonder....could it be? And yes, kkdj it would be a mind blower!

Amateur opinion and speculation
I really hope it is… so she is found for her loved ones and so that no one else was met with foul play as well.

My first instinct was that this was out-of-town family visiting their (older and/or poorer) relatives, probably in their childhood home, and they brought along quite some food as there was more than just one of them. It is quite likely that it was not possible to fit all of the holiday food and drinks into the main fridge, so something was taken "to the freezer in the garage" or similar. We always bring food over and place it in the freezers etc ourselves when visiting our childhood home - the older relative there would take a lot more time to place all the items away & we all feel at home there.

Or course, the situation might have been entirely different. But IMO this scenario could match known facts: the deceased was a relative and she was found in a freezer. Now the mystery is: who was she and why was her absence not noted before.
I was going to say the same thing---they probably brought some groceries and/or food for the holidays, and just went to put it away. JMO

When we go visit family out of town, on a road trip, we usually stop at the market just before our arrival, and bring groceries so it is not all on our hosts to feed us.

I agree with you that the possibility of someone falling in is at the bottom of my list of maybes. It's still there because some really strange things really do happen occasionally -- way, way down .1 of 1 percent, etc. just weird "shXX."

On the other hand if someone did fall in, that same person then had to have the strength to climb back out . . .

The "badly decomposed body" is what makes me put this possibility at the bottom. The electric was prob turned off -- why? And exactly how long had it been since someone checked on this person?

I even looked up the Larry Millette case mentioned and wondered again -- how would he have known the house was empty to move and dump a freezer into the location? WHERE was the freezer? In the garage, more likely for a dropped off freezer, don't you think? But inside the house - less plausible.

Plus, if it should tie to Larry Millete -- what perfect timing if the answer is something as off-the-wall as that.
I admit I rolled my eyes at the mention of falling in but stranger things have happened! We've seen countless people fall into garbage chutes, "running away", taking a "hike", hunting trip disasters, cruise ship "mishaps"...

The only thing about climbing back out would be the weight of the lid and the magnets that are used to create a seal. Is it possible that "badly decomposed" was the reason for the freezer in the first place? Meaning, was the deceased decomposing prior? Usually people have large freezers for storing a surplus of food. Wondering if anything had been taken out of the freezer, to make room?

Speculation. MOO. JMO. IMO.

Is it possible that "badly decomposed" was the reason for the freezer in the first place? Meaning, was the deceased decomposing prior?
That’s what I am thinking. Maybe the smell was getting stronger and/or they were expecting visitors. If there was no time and/or place to dispose of the body, maybe the freezer was the temporary fix.

That’s what I am thinking. Maybe the smell was getting stronger and/or they were expecting visitors. If there was no time and/or place to dispose of the body, maybe the freezer was the temporary fix.
I'm wondering though if the freezer were already there, was it being used for its intended purpose prior? Bc if so, wouldn't there have been frozen food to get rid of? Maybe that seems unimportant, Idk.

This is a very strange story. I am just going to guess that somehow the owner doesn't know anything. Also going to guess she was placed there, and it's not an accident.

At the same time, who would bother to "borrow" someone's freezer for such a purpose and why?
Nice to see you again ChatteringBirds-- we seem to find one another in various different forums. I love your analysis of the little we are given in this case. I also agree with your question on why someone would borrow the freezer as I can't imagine anyone borrowing a large freezer.....

I was thinking maybe owner bought it offline unknowingly of what is inside but still does not make sense at all. The fridge would be heavy, foul smelling and probably dirty/damaged due to the crime.

Maybe someone borrowed the fridge for an event or cookout but that is a stretch.

Just when I had convinced myself that when a body jumps out at me (figuratively) from a surprise location more than once a day, this is mere sleight of hand from too much imagination and WS…..voilà you go visiting, kids, panettone, hooch ‘n’ all, and for real there’s a body rigor-mortised into the freezer.

Most importantly….who goes visiting and promptly pokes around in the host’s freezer? That’s just rude. Where are their holiday manners? Any clues there?
THIS! what was the dynamic of the families or situation of the house/location because there has got to be some connection IMO.

Nice to see you again ChatteringBirds-- we seem to find one another in various different forums. I love your analysis of the little we are given in this case. I also agree with your question on why someone would borrow the freezer as I can't imagine anyone borrowing a large freezer.....

I was thinking maybe owner bought it offline unknowingly of what is inside but still does not make sense at all. The fridge would be heavy, foul smelling and probably dirty/damaged due to the crime.

Maybe someone borrowed the fridge for an event or cookout but that is a stretch.

We have a neighbor who has a large chest freezer in his pool cabana. It's mainly there for ice in the summer and for freezing the fish/game that he hunts. He tells everybody that if we need extra freezer space for special events, family dinners, or whatever, we should feel free to use it, or come get ice. Pre-pandemic it got used for the neighborhood block party. But if somebody put their elderly relative in there, they probably wouldn't be found for months.

Not that I think it's likely. Not in the least. But depending on the neighborhood people do share their freezers/spare refrigerators.

We have a neighbor who has a large chest freezer in his pool cabana. It's mainly there for ice in the summer and for freezing the fish/game that he hunts. He tells everybody that if we need extra freezer space for special events, family dinners, or whatever, we should feel free to use it, or come get ice. Pre-pandemic it got used for the neighborhood block party. But if somebody put their elderly relative in there, they probably wouldn't be found for months.

Not that I think it's likely. Not in the least. But depending on the neighborhood people do share their freezers/spare refrigerators.
I agree, I grew up in a similar situation so I thought maybe.... just maybe could have shared a connection there but we shall see.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarthaPrirl
Back