CA CA - Theresa Rains, 31, Oakland, 23 May 1980

Gardener1850

Timeline Guru (Still Remembering Cupcake)
Reaction score
Original

Missing Person / NamUs #MP50221
Theresa Rains

Female, White / Caucasian
Height 5' 6" (66 Inches)
Weight 115 lbs

Brown hair
Blue Eyes

Circumstances
Date of Last Contact May 23, 1980
NamUs Case Created May 22, 2018
Last Known Location Map
Location Oakland, California 94611
Alameda County

Circumstances of Disappearance
Theresa was last seen on May 23, 1980 in Oakland, California.

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

I was treading back through the Arroyo Grande Jane Doe thread and came across a post mentioning Theresa. Hopefully someone here can help clear this up...

NV - NV - Henderson, 'Arroyo Grande' WhtFem 258UFNV, 14-25, Oct'80 *GRAPHIC*

Post #121 re: Theresa Rains
Here is the update regarding the possible Namus match for the above name. If true, then there are many missing persons sights that need to be updated, as she is still listed as missing on many. No other details, ie: alive or recovered remains. Thanks for all comments!

Thank you for the information. After contacting Oakland PD, I have found out that Theresa was located in 1999.
Jessica Esber
DNA Project Manager
Clark County Office of the Coroner/Medical Examiner

I was treading back through the Arroyo Grande Jane Doe thread and came across a post mentioning Theresa. Hopefully someone here can help clear this up...

Here is the update regarding the possible Namus match for the above name. If true, then there are many missing persons sights that need to be updated, as she is still listed as missing on many. No other details, ie: alive or recovered remains. Thanks for all comments!

Thank you for the information. After contacting Oakland PD, I have found out that Theresa was located in 1999.
Jessica Esber
DNA Project Manager

I was told that too years ago when I turned her in as a possible match to a Jane Do (I don't exactly remember which one)

Jessica Esber
DNA Project Manager
Any update to the bolded? Was she located?

Any update to the bolded? Was she located?
I’ve not heard anything regarding this post. I doubt it since she’s still listed as missing in the public databases. I don’t have a lot of free time or I’d personally reach out to the agency to verify. ;)

Okay I was looking into this case and found the strangest thing:
Her husband had four different names.
Honestly, I have no idea which could be his real one.
I only found two but repeated surname learter and samarpan. Both of these are Hindi/Buddhist names. One is a guru name also.
She had a son who sadly passed in 2016. I can't find her brother and sisters online just yet. There is hardly any info on her at all and no-one, Seems to mention her, or exactly how she disappeared. I have it in my head she is connected to another doe.
I also found another two pictures of someone with her name and same Dob, but I'm not convinced about one of them. The attached one is most definitely her.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230712-220731.png
    Screenshot_20230712-220731.png
    383.5 KB · Views: 4
The husband may be interesting. An article from 1985 at Bhagwan's Followers Rush to Sell Commune places him at the centre of the liquidation of the properties of the Bhagwan Shree Rajneesh after he was expelled from the USA, leading to the collapse of his commune. I assume the Swami Samarpan named in this article is the husband of Theresa. In Ancestry records they are shown as marrying in March 1975 in LA. Whilst there was another Swami (David) Samarpan associated with Rajneesh he claimed to be in Colombia in 1985/86.
The relevance of this information is in a wide range of possibilities it opens if Theresa was also associated with Rajneesh, from moving abroad to one of the other centres following the US implosion to being the victim of one of the myriad crimes and plots of the commune. A good (if slightly dodgy Hollywood take) of what they got up to can be found in the Netflix series Wild Wild Country.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shaunie
Back