Canada - Coronavirus COVID-19 #4

a truck convoy caused an accident near here that a man died in

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/windsor/highway-closed-collision-1.6329679

During a media briefing Thursday, Chatham-Kent fire Chief Chris Case called the crash severe, and said it was not related to the convoy.

Windsor automotive worker Serge Lachapelle, who is taking part in the truck convoy, told CBC News on Thursday that a number of them have been stuck on the highway behind the scene of the accident.

Around noon, Lachapelle said he was about 50 to 100 yards (44 to 91 metres) away from the accident scene, and has been there since 9:30 a.m.

He said OPP told drivers that a truck was carrying a four-wheeler, and it fell out of the truck and hit another vehicle, causing the accident.

The service horse was injured when the woman pushed a bike into the path of the horse. Service horses, trained to work with rowdy crowds (including non-stop honking), are very likely trained to injure themselves before stepping on an animal or person. The woman has been charged with injuring a service animal.

Fox News claimed that she was dead, and that mis-information quickly circled the planet. There was an awful lot of false information coming from the protest organizers and specific foreign news throughout the occupation.

Fox News is source of mis-information. It appears that this reporter wanted to agitate the protesters and create more conflict. In my opinion, some people were excited to watch civil unrest.

"However, rumours on social media quickly sprang up claiming a woman had been trampled by one of the horses — potentially to death.

In one instance, a Fox News contributor with 1.3 million followers tweeted that she heard a woman may have been "seriously injured or killed."

She tweeted an apology on Saturday for sharing false information — but her original post had already been amplified widely.

This isn’t the first time Sara Carter [@FoxNews, Contributor, Award-winning correspondent] has made an outlandish claim and had to backpedal."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/otta...-misinformation-campaign-police-say-1.6358308

"Fox News contributor Sara Carter has walked back her entirely fictitious claim about a woman dying after being trampled by a Canadian authority on horseback amid ongoing trucker-led protests.

While the claim wasn’t accurate, the tweet was red-meat for her over 1.3 million conservative Twitter followers, who quickly amplified the baseless death as evidence of Canadian government wrongdoing.

“Reports are the woman trampled by a Canadian horse patrol just died at the hospital ... #Trudeau #FreedomConvoyCanada,” Carter tweeted Friday evening.

Shortly thereafter, conservatives picked up and amplified the tweet, including former Fox Nation hosts Diamond and Silk and Republican Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX).

On Saturday morning, attempting to do clean-up, the Fox News contributor admitted her reporting was false."
Fox News Contributor Admits to Creating Fake Story About Canadian Woman Being ‘Trampled’ to Death

Last edited:
The service horse was injured when the woman pushed a bike into the path of the horse. Service horses, trained to work with rowdy crowds (including non-stop honking), are very likely trained to injure themselves before stepping on an animal or person. The woman has been charged with injuring a service animal.

Fox News claimed that she was dead, and that mis-information quickly circled the plane. There was an awful lot of false information coming from the protest organizers and specific foreign news throughout the occupation.

Fox News is source of mis-information. It appears that this reporter wanted to agitate the protesters and create more conflict. In my opinion, some people were excited to watch civil unrest.

"However, rumours on social media quickly sprang up claiming a woman had been trampled by one of the horses — potentially to death.

In one instance, a Fox News contributor with 1.3 million followers tweeted that she heard a woman may have been "seriously injured or killed."

She tweeted an apology on Saturday for sharing false information — but her original post had already been amplified widely.

This isn’t the first time Sara Carter [@FoxNews, Contributor, Award-winning correspondent] has made an outlandish claim and had to backpedal."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/otta...-misinformation-campaign-police-say-1.6358308

"Fox News contributor Sara Carter has walked back her entirely fictitious claim about a woman dying after being trampled by a Canadian authority on horseback amid ongoing trucker-led protests.

While the claim wasn’t accurate, the tweet was red-meat for her over 1.3 million conservative Twitter followers, who quickly amplified the baseless death as evidence of Canadian government wrongdoing.

“Reports are the woman trampled by a Canadian horse patrol just died at the hospital ... #Trudeau #FreedomConvoyCanada,” Carter tweeted Friday evening.

Shortly thereafter, conservatives picked up and amplified the tweet, including former Fox Nation hosts Diamond and Silk and Republican Senator Ted Cruz (R-TX).

On Saturday morning, attempting to do clean-up, the Fox News contributor admitted her reporting was false."
Fox News Contributor Admits to Creating Fake Story About Canadian Woman Being ‘Trampled’ to Death

Very misleading headline from the Daily Beast, as quoted above.

Sara Carter is a highly respected and award-winning journalist, she did not "create a fake story" but was reporting on the ground during the turmoil after the RCMP with their horses ran rampant through the crowd of peaceful protestors.

She was one of the many journalists who was on the ground with word circulating that this was the person who died. Once it was confirmed that the indigenous elder was hospitalized with a broken clavicle, Ms. Carter issued an apology for relying on unconfirmed sources on the ground during the melee.

Even before the apology, she clarified that these were rumors and that she was trying to get more information.

So the above is old news.

Here is an udpate on the RCMP and their horses and the trampling of the elderly handicapped indigenous Mohawk woman, who was badly injured by the RCMP and their horse rampage which is now under investigation in Canada.

Woman trampled by Trudeau's forces during freedom protest identified as Indigenous elder

Sadly, foreign politicians and journalists viewed the occupation of Canada's capital city as some sort of entertainment - the more conflict, the better. Although it started with a statement goal of re-instating trucker vaccine exemptions at the border, it quickly morphed into removing all pandemic public health orders; with a long game goal of de-stabilizing the federal government.

There is concern that protesters were influenced by foreign (e.g.: Russian) social media information that incited civil unrest with false information.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/congress-convoys-facebook-1.6357381

The funniest comment I heard throughout this is that some protesters actually believe that the "vaccine" is the government implanting RFID chips (like a bar code that includes all personal data) in people. Very strange to learn that some people are so out of touch with reality.

The USA will have its very own trucker convoy to report on soon enough. Hopefully local police will be as successful as Canadians in ensuring that there is no violence.

54436037-10533055-A_new_trucker_protest_dubbed_The_People_s_Convoy_is_departing_fr-a-76_1645418637038.jpg

"A new trucker protest dubbed 'The People's Convoy' is departing from Barstow, California on Wednesday en route to Washington, D.C. There are around 1,000 people planning to participate and they expect to pick up more along the way to the nation's capital"​

Capitol fence will be reinstalled ahead of Biden's State of the Union as trucker convoy heads for DC | Daily Mail Online

<modsnip - quoted post was removed>

Unfortunately, too many journos these days don't bother to fact-check before they immediately 'report' incorrect info.
Gone are the days where they would mostly all fact-check so we could rely on a decent degree of accuracy.

"Carter wrote in her retraction tweet: "The Reports I was given earlier yesterday from sources on the ground .... "

Fact check: Debunking more false claims about the Canadian convoy protests

There is even a website called Retraction Watch that monitors retractions, because they feel that the public doesn't hear enough about all of the retractions and is left with misinformation in their minds.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip - quoted post was removed >

We have had the same thing happening here. Foreign news reporting how we were all disgruntled by our lockdowns and were all rebelling in the streets.

Nothing could have been further from the truth. At the time, the huge majority of Aussies were supportive of the measures being taken to quell the virus (I have posted the stats before in the main covid thread) and a small minority of people were giving the police a hard time about their enforcement of the measures.

But some people overseas were left with the impression that we were "Fortress Australia", were "communists" ... when in fact we enjoyed a massive amount of safe freedom until we opened our borders.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree. We have had the same thing happening here. Foreign news reporting how we were all disgruntled by our lockdowns and were all rebelling in the streets.

Nothing could have been further from the truth. At the time, the huge majority of Aussies were supportive of the measures being taken to quell the virus (I have posted the stats before in the main covid thread) and a small minority of people were giving the police a hard time about their enforcement of the measures.

But some people overseas were left with the impression that we were "Fortress Australia", were "communists" ... when in fact we enjoyed a massive amount of safe freedom until we opened our borders.

Same with Canada. Foreigners call Canada a communist country due to pandemic-related provincial public health orders. It's sad that a small vocal minority is perceived to be speaking for millions. In Canada, the fringe group claimed to represent 35 million people.

People have a choice in Canada to vaccine or not, to mask or not. Shop owners have a right to demand that clients wear a mask to enter their premises. People have a right to shop elsewhere if they don't like the "no shoes, no shirt, no mask, no service" rules.

I have it in my head that the lady with a mobility scooter who was injured by a horse and a bike being thrown were 2 separate incidents. Is this right or not? Because a mobility scooter is nothing close to a bike. JMO

Edited because I described a horse as using the scooter.

Does anyone have a link to video of the women allegedly throwing a bike at the police horse?

I didn't see anything being thrown in the video.

I can't answer that. I know what was reported at the time on CBC news on Friday afternoon. I know what was reported by Fox News. I have shared one of numerous videos that are available online. Perhaps a different video shows something different.

My question is why was she there? It was an illegal occupation. We haven't heard anything from her regarding her objection to pandemic related public health orders.

I can't answer that. I know what was reported at the time on CBC news on Friday afternoon. I know what was reported by Fox News. I have shared one of numerous videos that are available online. Perhaps a different video shows something different.

My question is why was she there? It was an illegal occupation. We haven't heard anything from her regarding her objection to pandemic related public health orders.
Regardless of why she was there I thinks it's a shame that she was run over by the police horse. This is just my opinion but it seems like the use of those horse's was an excessive use of force against her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zootopian2
Back