CANADA Canada- David Manuel Hannah, 37, prison guard @ Millhaven Institution, went missing enroute to work, Kingston, Ont. 4 Jan. 1983

I think David had the day off when he disappeared, Jan 4, 1983. He'd worked 9 hours overtime the day before, so maybe he was on a 7 day off stretch. Hence, why no one reported him missing for 2 weeks.

On the day of, he went to the bank (Federal Employees Credit Union, Amherstview) and took out $100 possibly to buy groceries, beer, smokes. He drives home and possibly someone is waiting for him inside his (apartment) in Millhaven, Ontario (according to a news source tip below).

As a local I don't recall any apartment buildings in Millhaven in 1983. I do remember the Millhaven Inn on Hwy33 and it was a dump. So I have to think David might have lived in Amherstview, not Millhaven.

There was a lot of biker activity in Ontario at the time. It was winter. The perps could have hidden David's car and body at one of their clubhouses in the area and then disposed of it in the spring.

Human remains found in Lake Ontario identified as prison guard who disappeared 40 years ago​

At one point investigators offered a $50K reward​

dan-taekema.JPG

Dan Taekema · CBC News · Posted: May 17, 2023 10:05 AM EDT | Last Updated: May 17, 2023

His car was found pretty deep into the water as well, it would have floated for a while, or maybe slowly made its way across the floor of the lake over all this time? Not really sure on that, it was farther in than most cars I've seen on Adventure's with Purpose and the like.

Is it possible that he drove out onto the ice until he got to the place where the car submerged?

I think David had the day off when he disappeared, Jan 4, 1983. He'd worked 9 hours overtime the day before, so maybe he was on a 7 day off stretch. Hence, why no one reported him missing for 2 weeks.

On the day of, he went to the bank (Federal Employees Credit Union, Amherstview) and took out $100 possibly to buy groceries, beer, smokes. He drives home and possibly someone is waiting for him inside his (apartment) in Millhaven, Ontario (according to a news source tip below).

As a local I don't recall any apartment buildings in Millhaven in 1983. I do remember the Millhaven Inn on Hwy33 and it was a dump. So I have to think David might have lived in Amherstview, not Millhaven.

There was a lot of biker activity in Ontario at the time. It was winter. The perps could have hidden David's car and body at one of their clubhouses in the area and then disposed of it in the spring.

Human remains found in Lake Ontario identified as prison guard who disappeared 40 years ago​

At one point investigators offered a $50K reward​

dan-taekema.JPG

Dan Taekema · CBC News · Posted: May 17, 2023 10:05 AM EDT | Last Updated: May 17, 2023

bbm - from the first post in the thread: David Hannah went missing on Jan. 4, 1983 when he left his house in Amherstview, Ont.

May 17 2023
View attachment 422892
''Human remains have been located in Lake Ontario, east of Napanee, connected to a cold case from 1983.

L&A OPP and the Underwater Search and Recovery Unit, recovered a vehicle from the lake near Amherstview, back in January.

They spotted another vehicle during their search, one that contained human remains.

They belonged to a David Hannah, a Millhaven Penitentiary prison guard, from Amherstview, who was murdered

The 36 year went missing in 1983.

In 2011, the province offered a $50,000 reward for information leading to the arrest of those responsible.

Quinte News was told by the OPP that the cause of death is not known at this time and no other details are known at this time.

OPP Divers, assisted by OPP Urban Search and Rescue, OPP Marine Units, H.R. Doornekamp Construction and Dundee Marine, were able to recover the remains and the vehicle in early May.''

I just noticed this article from 2023 says he was murdered?

I just noticed this article from 2023 says he was murdered?

The article also says that cause of death is not known. So far, I haven't seen any evidence reported to suggest that he was murdered. Either the OPP has evidence that they've never spoken of, or it was just a theory was that he was murdered even though there was no evidence,

May 21, 2023
In this video, Dave Hannah Jr. shares his emotional journey of finding his father's remains after 40 years of searching. He talks about the challenges he faced and how he overcame them. This is a story of hope, perseverance and love that will inspire you to never give up on your dreams.

Well yes, but are you suggesting that someone else drove it ? Or was it a dreadful mistake he made of being lost and on the wrong road?
He lived there so he most certainly wasn't lost. County Road 6 is a bit out of the way, he would have to be travelling south for his car to go in the water. Do you know if there was a report of an accident on Jan 4, 1983 that took out the guardrails at Bath Rd. and RR 6?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alafair
Back