Canada - Five slain at Brentwood house party, Calgary, 15 April 2014 *Insanity*

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/iphone/news/latest/story.html?id=9746394
bbm.

"We need to know everything that happened leading up to this to help us understand what actually happened."

Hanson confirmed that the police know the accused arrived at the party some time after his shift Monday at a northwest grocery store.

"In fact he arrived at the party wearing his smock ...."

It's alleged the accused also brought a box cutter to the home, though Hanson would not say whether a box cutter was used in the crime.

"He arrived and then just visited with people."

Just saw a presser on CP24 and the father of the suspect was speaking. At the end he began shaking in such a way that made me think he was going to collapse or he is undergoing stages of Parkinson's disease. I felt bad for him. I wonder why his son did what he did? So disturbing and a waste of life for nothing. RIP to all five victims and my condolences to their family and friends.

Calgary will have all flags at half mast until all five are laid to rest. Thank you Calgary Mayor!

Just saw a presser on CP24 and the father of the suspect was speaking. At the end he began shaking in such a way that made me think he was going to collapse or he is undergoing stages of Parkinson's disease. I felt bad for him. I wonder why his son did what he did? So disturbing and a waste of life for nothing. RIP to all five victims and my condolences to their family and friends.

Calgary will have all flags at half mast until all five are laid to rest. Thank you Calgary Mayor!

Mayor Nenshi is awesome. I feel bad for the parents too. I didn't see the press conference, but saw a picture on CBC.ca. his Dad just looks devastated.

According to this article, the suspect is being held at a psychiatric centre and will undergo a psych evaluation. I think this is good, but I really hope it isn't a first step towards a NCR finding. I absolutely believe that sometimes people are mentally ill and don't understand the ramifications of their actions or right from wrong BUT I hate, hate hate, the NCR designation. I know I'm jumping the gun a bit, but its honestly the first thing I thought of when I read the article.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ct-being-held-at-psychiatric-centre-1.2612078

This is horrendous!

I wonder if he killed them after they went to sleep?

I cannot imagine him being able to kill them one at a time unless they were tied up... Or they were asleep?... Or ???

(Yet... It is hard to imagine him being able to bind them, as well!?!)

:praying: for the victims... And all those that love them...

This is horrendous!

I wonder if he killed them after they went to sleep?

I cannot imagine him being able to kill them one at a time unless they were tied up... Or they were asleep?... Or ???

(Yet... It is hard to imagine him being able to bind them, as well!?!)

:praying: for the victims... And all those that love them...

I know. I wonder how he was able to attack one person and not have a bunch of others coming to subdue him. JMO

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/matthew-de-grood-s-father-just-like-you-we-struggle-to-understand-what-happened-1.2614266

Not sure if this has been shared already.

Absolutely gut wrenching. The Dad seems pretty young, maybe late 50's ? Parkinson's or ALS, imo.

It is the end of the regular semester for Uni students. Finishing up assignments, exams looming large in the horizon. He was a student, going to to Law School, working at least part time. Might he have been taking a stimulant of some sort to 'get him through' ? Amphetamines can contribute to acute psychosis. If there was an as yet, undiagnosed pre-existing condition, a stimulant could have triggered paranoia and hallucinations. Maybe someone slipped him something at work (unbeknownst to him) ? It's frightening to think that a seemingly normal, stable individual can suddenly snap in such a violent manner.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/matthew-de-grood-s-father-just-like-you-we-struggle-to-understand-what-happened-1.2614266

Not sure if this has been shared already.

Absolutely gut wrenching. The Dad seems pretty young, maybe late 50's ? Parkinson's or ALS, imo.

It is the end of the regular semester for Uni students. Finishing up assignments, exams looming large in the horizon. He was a student, going to to Law School, working at least part time. Might he have been taking a stimulant of some sort to 'get him through' ? Amphetamines can contribute to acute psychosis. If there was an as yet, undiagnosed pre-existing condition, a stimulant could have triggered paranoia and hallucinations. Maybe someone slipped him something at work (unbeknownst to him) ? It's frightening to think that a seemingly normal, stable individual can suddenly snap in such a violent manner.

That is truly one of the most devastating videos I've ever seen. I just want to give that family a hug. To be the parents of a victim is absolutely horrific, but to be the family of the perpetrator is unfathomable.

My condolences to all. :cry:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/04/17/calgary-stabbing-suspect-acted-strangely-in-days-leading-up-to-massacre/

So there is an alleged mental health history here, dating back to high school. However, nothing that would indicate he was a risk to anyone other than himself.

At the presser earlier today, there were questions about texts he sent out. Now I'm seeing that it's true:

“That evening, Doug and (his wife) Susan got some text messages from Matt that were really disjointed, really confusing and they caused them to think, ‘Oh, my goodness, he’s going to commit suicide.’ They were really worried, so Doug went looking for him and was worried sick that he was going to find him dead. Susan called in a concern to the police – an alert. And then they got the terrible news that this had happened,” says the officer, who spoke only on the condition that he not be identified.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...ted-strangely-in-days-leading-up-to-massacre/

20 people were at the party at the time of the stabbing and he killed 5 of them?? I call BS--he had to have had help.

20 people were at the party at the time of the stabbing and he killed 5 of them?? I call BS--he had to have had help.

I could believe it if they trusted him and he positioned himself in a place where they came in one by one.

I can't imagine that the witnesses lied.

I could believe it if they trusted him and he positioned himself in a place where they came in one by one.

I can't imagine that the witnesses lied.

I have not seen a story that told just what happened and I thought I clicked on every link here. Have you seen one?

I know. I wonder how he was able to attack one person and not have a bunch of others coming to subdue him. JMO

I'm wondering if most fled, but some were killed while trying to subdue him.

Wouldn't explain the lack of noise heard in the neighbourhood though. You'd think the other 15 or so would be screaming outside.

As much as we wade through tragedy in these threads, that video of Doug de Grood was one of the most anguishing things I've ever watched. My heart breaks for every single parent involved in this tragedy.

This is very sad:

"CALGARY - The text of the statement given by the father of 22-year-old Calgary mass-murder suspect Matthew de Grood:

"I am Douglas de Grood and I am an inspector with the Calgary Police Service, but I am here today not as a police officer, but as a parent and a husband. I speak for my wife, Susan de Grood, as we are one voice.

"We are shocked and devastated and we are trying to make sense of what happened.

"We are deeply saddened for what the families and friends of the victims are going through. Your lives have been turned upside down. We know words cannot begin to ease your pain and suffering. Please accept our deepest condolences and know you are in our hearts, our thoughts and our prayers.

"Our condolences also go out to the first responders who attended the scene. You had to detach from your emotions to do your job. Your professionalism was exceptional.

"Like any parent can tell you, a love for your child is unconditional and we love Matthew dearly.

"Our Matthew is a great kid, full of love, kindness and respect for others. Growing up, he received good grades in school and was active in a variety of sports. As a young adult, he got a part-time job, entered university and became more involved in the community. He raised funds for charities through his passion for running. He had a bright future ahead of him as he was about to start law school in the fall.

"Just like you, we struggle to understand what happened. We have received an outpouring of support from our extended families, our friends and neighbours, co-workers and even people we have never met. We thank each one of you for your support. We will never recover from this, but the collective support has helped ease some of the pain.

"We hope someday we will have answers as to why this happened. Regardless, it won't bring the victims back, but we would give anything to do just that.

"Our final words are to you, the media. We ask that you respect our family's privacy as we deal with this tragedy.

"Thank you for your co-operation."

http://infotel.ca/newsitem/text-of-a-statement-given-by-father-of-calgary-mass-murder-suspect/it9446

CBC has reported that he does not appear to have any psych issues, even though he is being held in a psych facility.

I like to read more on on the days/weeks/months/years leading up to this.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/alberta/Stabbing+suspect+Matthew+Grood+transferred+psychiatric+facility/9745034/story.html

I find this picture troubling.

It appears to have been taken moments after his arrest as he was being loaded into an ambulance. MSM confirms he was transported immediately to hospital for treatment of a dog bite. I doubt this shot was taken while he was being transported from the hospital to the psych facility as media would not have been allowed to get near him, he would likely have been wearing hospital clothing or more likely, a suicide smock.

What troubles me is this - if he had just finished stabbing 5 people to death, would he not be DRENCHED in blood ? Splatter on his arms, face, etc ?

CBC has reported that he does not appear to have any psych issues, even though he is being held in a psych facility.

I like to read more on on the days/weeks/months/years leading up to this.

From an article linked upthread:

http://news.nationalpost.com/2014/0...ted-strangely-in-days-leading-up-to-massacre/

According to a health-care professional who also spoke on the condition of anonymity, de Grood was being treated for mental health issues dating back to his years as a high school student at St. Francis High School.

Some of the things his parents noticed earlier that evening or in the days prior can be indicative of an upcoming psychotic break.

I was watching the de Grood parents' statement and closed captioning contained a line to the effect "we don't ask for sympathy ... our son is alive". Just wonder why that wasn't in the ^^ transcript or maybe my closed captioning is messed.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/alberta/Stabbing+suspect+Matthew+Grood+transferred+psychiatric+facility/9745034/story.html

I find this picture troubling.

It appears to have been taken moments after his arrest as he was being loaded into an ambulance. MSM confirms he was transported immediately to hospital for treatment of a dog bite. I doubt this shot was taken while he was being transported from the hospital to the psych facility as media would not have been allowed to get near him, he would likely have been wearing hospital clothing or more likely, a suicide smock.

What troubles me is this - if he had just finished stabbing 5 people to death, would he not be DRENCHED in blood ? Splatter on his arms, face, etc ?

He has a dog bite? When did he get bit?

Maybe he got rabies?

He has a dog bite? When did he get bit?

Maybe he got rabies?

From the police dog when they hunted him down after the murders.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/Police+five+killed+house+party/9739998/story.html

"Police said they received reports of a stabbing around 1:20 a.m. in the 100 block of Butler Crescent N.W. Officers arrived to find three people dead. Two more were taken to hospital, where they succumbed to their injuries.

The victims include four men and a woman, reportedly all in their late teens or early 20s.

Read continuing, live coverage from the team of Calgary Herald reporters and photographers covering the fatal stabbings of five people in northwest Calgary's Brentwood neighbourhood."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LornaJay
Back