GUILTY Canada - Ibrahim Ali, accused of killing girl, 13, Burnaby, BC, 18 July 2017

According to the article linked above, the prosecution finished their closing arguments yesterday and defense is doing theirs today. So hopefully, yes, the jury will have the case today.

Thank you! I have updated my notes - and put this on for Monday, 12/4 - as Verdict Watch!

Here's another article I got in my Alerts.

Nov. 30, 2023
The B.C. Supreme Court first-degree murder trial of Ibrahim Ali fell silent for two full minutes as Crown attorney Daniel Porte neared the end of his closing arguments.

Porte was illustrating how long it would have taken Ali to strangle the 13-year-old girl he’s accused of killing in a Burnaby, B.C., park six years ago, saying Ali would have had to apply “consistent and sustained” pressure.
[.....]
Porte told the jury that the Crown had proved beyond a reasonable doubt that Ali dragged the girl into a wooded area, sexually assaulted her, then killed her.

However, Ali’s lawyer Kevin McCullough told the jury the charge against his client hadn’t been proven.

Closing submissions wrapped up Friday afternoon.

Justice Lance Bernard is scheduled to give final instructions to the jury on Wednesday morning.

After that, the jury will begin its deliberations.

(I really can't with this defense. I don't think anyone on the jury will consider what they're suggesting to be even a remote possibility.)

I too was disgusted by the defense attorney's closing remarks...

Dec. 4, 2023
Stomachs churned in B.C. Supreme Court last week as Kevin McCullough, the defence attorney for Ibrahim Ali, a Syrian national accused of murdering a 13-year-old Burnaby girl, gave his closing remarks.
[.....]
McCullough, who's been called ferocious in the courtroom, may have lived up to the label during closing proceedings by saying it wouldn’t have been "outlandish" for the teen girl to have been attracted to Ali, given he was "handsome" back in 2017, when the girl's body was discovered with his semen inside her.
[.....]
Justice Lance Bernard, who is presiding over the case, is expected to give final instructions to the jury this Wednesday [12/6/23] before they begin deliberations for their verdict.

I too was disgusted by the defense attorney's closing remarks...

Dec. 4, 2023
Stomachs churned in B.C. Supreme Court last week as Kevin McCullough, the defence attorney for Ibrahim Ali, a Syrian national accused of murdering a 13-year-old Burnaby girl, gave his closing remarks.
[.....]
McCullough, who's been called ferocious in the courtroom, may have lived up to the label during closing proceedings by saying it wouldn’t have been "outlandish" for the teen girl to have been attracted to Ali, given he was "handsome" back in 2017, when the girl's body was discovered with his semen inside her.
[.....]
Justice Lance Bernard, who is presiding over the case, is expected to give final instructions to the jury this Wednesday [12/6/23] before they begin deliberations for their verdict.
Im disgusted with the defence as well and have never heard of a defence saying the crime was not proved. At the very least Ibrahim should have gave his account of what happened even if it was in a written statement. I think the guy is very disturbed and the Jury will see through this charade.

JMO

Wednesday, Dec. 6th:
*Trial continues (Day 102)-VERDICT WATCH! (Day 1) (@ 10am PT) – British Columbia, Canada – M. S. (13) (last seen alive on July 18, 2017 at a local Tim Hortons, Burney B.C. & her body was found 5 hours later on July 19, 2017 in Burnaby’s Central Park, Vancouver) - *Ibrahim Ali (28/now 33) arrested & charged (9/7/18) & indicted (11/25/19) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bail.
Police used a new & somewhat controversial “DNA dragnet” technique, after collecting DNA at the crime scene that indicated a suspect of Middle Eastern descent. (He is a Syrian refugee who entered Canada 3 months before murder).
Trial began on 3/17/23 with jury selection & ended on 3/23/23.
Trial began on 4/5/23 & continued on 4/11/23. Crown rested their case on 11/17/23. Defense begins on 11/20/23. (expected to run thru June 30 & changed (5/17/23) maybe thru September).
B.C. Supreme Court Justice Lance Bernard presiding. Crown prosecutor Isobel Keeley & Daniel Porte & defense attorney Ben Lynskey & Kevin McCullough.

Case & court info from 1/29/19 thru Trial Days 1-99 (4/28 thru 11/21/23) reference post #257 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...irl-13-burnaby-bc-18-july-2017.673539/page-13

11/20/23 Thursday, Trial Day 100: Closing arguments by Daniel Porte & defense attorney Kevin McCullough. Trial continues on Friday, 12/1/23.
12/1/23 Friday, Trial Day 101: Closing arguments continued by defense attorney Kevin McCullough.
For more info see post #259 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...irl-13-burnaby-bc-18-july-2017.673539/page-13
Justice Lance Bernard is scheduled to give final instructions to the jury on Wednesday morning, 12/6/23. After that, the jury will begin its deliberations.

Thursday, Dec. 7th:
*Trial continues (Day 103)-VERDICT WATCH! (Day 2) (@ 10am PT) – British Columbia, Canada – M. S. (13) (last seen alive on July 18, 2017 at a local Tim Hortons, Burney B.C. & her body was found 5 hours later on July 19, 2017 in Burnaby’s Central Park, Vancouver) - *Ibrahim Ali (28/now 33) arrested & charged (9/7/18) & indicted (11/25/19) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bail.
Police used a new & somewhat controversial “DNA dragnet” technique, after collecting DNA at the crime scene that indicated a suspect of Middle Eastern descent. (He is a Syrian refugee who entered Canada 3 months before murder).
Trial began on 4/5/23 & continued on 4/11/23. Crown rested their case on 11/17/23. Defense began on 11/20/23 & rested their case.
B.C. Supreme Court Justice Lance Bernard presiding. Crown prosecutor Isobel Keeley & Daniel Porte & defense attorney Ben Lynskey & Kevin McCullough.

Case & court info from 1/29/19 thru Trial Days 1-101 (4/28 thru 12/1/23) reference post #266 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...irl-13-burnaby-bc-18-july-2017.673539/page-14

12/6/23 Wednesday, Trial Day 102/Verdict Watch Day 1: Justice Lance Bernard gave final instructions to the jury & jury started deliberations. No info available. Verdict Watch continues on Thursday, 12/7/23.

Oops - too late to delete my above post... Just got this news Alert. I will correct my notes on the Verdict Watch days.

Dec. 6, 2023

There has been another delay in the roughly 8-month-long trial of the man accused of killing a Burnaby girl six years ago.

On Wednesday, the judge was supposed to begin giving instructions to the jury, but this step has been pushed back by a day.
[.....]
The judge is now expected to begin giving his instructions to the jury on Thursday (12/7/23]. After that, the jury will begin deliberating the evidence and deciding their verdict.

Oops - too late to delete my above post... Just got this news Alert. I will correct my notes on the Verdict Watch days.

Dec. 6, 2023

There has been another delay in the roughly 8-month-long trial of the man accused of killing a Burnaby girl six years ago.

On Wednesday, the judge was supposed to begin giving instructions to the jury, but this step has been pushed back by a day.
[.....]
The judge is now expected to begin giving his instructions to the jury on Thursday (12/7/23]. After that, the jury will begin deliberating the evidence and deciding their verdict.

Wow, this really feels like the trial that never ends. Hopefully the jury can get this wrapped up by the weekend and the victim's family can begin their path to healing.

Wow, this really feels like the trial that never ends. Hopefully the jury can get this wrapped up by the weekend and the victim's family can begin their path to healing.

Yes, quite a very long trial - they started in April!! Finally...

hmmm.... no verdict, eh?

Friday, Dec. 8th:
*Trial continues (Day 103)-VERDICT WATCH! (Day 2) (@ 10am PT) – British Columbia, Canada – M. S. (13) (last seen alive on July 18, 2017 at a local Tim Hortons, Burney B.C. & her body was found 5 hours later on July 19, 2017 in Burnaby’s Central Park, Vancouver) - *Ibrahim Ali (28/now 33) arrested & charged (9/7/18) & indicted (11/25/19) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bail.
Trial began on 4/5/23 & continued on 4/11/23. Crown rested their case on 11/17/23. Defense began on 11/20/23 & rested their case.

Case & court info from 1/29/19 thru Trial Days 1-101 (4/28 thru 12/1/23) reference post #266 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...irl-13-burnaby-bc-18-july-2017.673539/page-14

12/6/23 Wednesday, Trial Day/Verdict Watch Day: On Wednesday, the judge was supposed to begin giving instructions to the jury, but this step has been pushed back by a day. The judge is now expected to begin giving his instructions to the jury on Thursday, 12/7/23. After that, the jury will begin deliberating the evidence and deciding their verdict.
12/7/23 Thursday, Trial Day 102/Verdict Watch Day 1: Judge gave jury instructions. Jury started deliberations. No actual info available.
For more info see post #268 here:
Verdict watch continues on Friday, 12/8/23.

the latest...

Dec. 8, 2023
B.C. Supreme Court Justice Lance Bernard instructed the jury and sent them to begin deliberations just after 5 p.m. Thursday.
[.....]
There was also a dramatic moment Thursday when Ali rose in court, saying, “Mr. Justice, can I just speak to the jury for a minute please.”

The request was denied, as Crown and defence had both concluded their cases.

[.....]
On Thursday, he again cautioned the jury to completely wipe her evidence from their minds.

In his final instructions to the jury, Bernard summed up the arguments presented by Crown and defence, and told them they could deliver one of four verdicts: guilty of first-degree murder, second-degree murder or manslaughter — or not guilty.

The jury will be sequestered during their deliberations.

They could not have stayed long...

Did not realize the jury would be sequestered.

Rest in peace, I'll never visit BC again without thinking about her.

VANCOUVER — A British Columbia Supreme Court jury has found Ibrahim Ali guilty of first-degree murder for the death of a 13-year-old girl whose body was found in a Burnaby park in July 2017.

1702081700724.png
''The jury came back with its decision minutes after asking the judge to clarify the differences between first- and second-degree murder and manslaughter.

Justice Lance Bernard told them murder would mean Ali deliberately caused the girl's death or meant to cause her bodily harm and knew that this was likely to cause death.

Bernard said it would qualify as first-degree murder if it happened while Ali committed or attempted to commit a sexual assault against the girl, whose name is protected by a publication ban.

Ali had little reaction to the verdict and those in the packed courtroom were quiet as the verdict was read out.''

View attachment 466759
''The jury came back with its decision minutes after asking the judge to clarify the differences between first- and second-degree murder and manslaughter.

Justice Lance Bernard told them murder would mean Ali deliberately caused the girl's death or meant to cause her bodily harm and knew that this was likely to cause death.

Bernard said it would qualify as first-degree murder if it happened while Ali committed or attempted to commit a sexual assault against the girl, whose name is protected by a publication ban.

Ali had little reaction to the verdict and those in the packed courtroom were quiet as the verdict was read out.''
Finally! GUILTY! You betcha!

I’ve always felt sick about this case. I was in the Park in the general area, at the time this poor girl was being raped and murdered. I never saw anything or heard anything. I think I walked right by the spot. I couldn’t believe it.

There’s another article I read today about “what the jury didn’t hear”. Unbelievable.

How did this guy get accepted to come to Canada? I ask the question but I know I’m going to be incredibly angry when I find out.

MOO

YES - finally - guilty!

@Tealgrove - do you have a link to the other article you mentioned?

Questions - how long was the jury out?

Any sentencing date - or is THAT months away.... TIA if anyone finds that date! :)

Finally! GUILTY! You betcha!

I’ve always felt sick about this case. I was in the Park in the general area, at the time this poor girl was being raped and murdered. I never saw anything or heard anything. I think I walked right by the spot. I couldn’t believe it.

There’s another article I read today about “what the jury didn’t hear”. Unbelievable.

How did this guy get accepted to come to Canada? I ask the question but I know I’m going to be incredibly angry when I find out.

MOO
This article? rbbm.

"Abrahim Ali's lawyers had a problem.
They couldn't get him to understand a key point - that he was still on trial for the first-degree murder of a 13-year-old girl.
“He's useless to us,”
defence lawyer Kevin McCullough told B.C. Supreme Court Justice Lance Bernard on July 24.
“We might as well have a hologram of the man sitting there. He thinks he's been found not guilty.”

''It was one of many conversations the jury didn't hear in a trial delayed by months, as the court and lawyers grappled with the mental and physical health struggles of a defendant who is unable to read or write in any language.''

''As the case dragged on, Ali complained of illnesses that included auditory hallucinations. His lawyers twice asked for an evaluation to determine whether he was mentally fit to stand trial.

In response to the July 24 incident, Crown attorney Daniel Porte accused Ali of “holding the court hostage.”

McCullough said Ali had a Grade 6 education from Lebanon and was illiterate. He said his client had “serious mental health issues.”

''He said he had previously been involuntarily hospitalized for mental health issues, and once had booked a trip to Ottawa to see Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, although he never left the airport. He was also on antipsychotic medication.''
"Casting pearls before swine" imo.

''News of the first degree murder charge has shocked members of the tight-knit faith community which partnered with a group from Bowen Island to bring Ali and two brothers to the Lower Mainland 17 months ago.

The allegation throws a tragic light on a story that had been one of hope, community and generosity familiar to people across Canada who opened up their hearts and wallets to help refugees fleeing civil war in Syria.''

This article? rbbm.

"Abrahim Ali's lawyers had a problem.
They couldn't get him to understand a key point - that he was still on trial for the first-degree murder of a 13-year-old girl.
“He's useless to us,”
defence lawyer Kevin McCullough told B.C. Supreme Court Justice Lance Bernard on July 24.
“We might as well have a hologram of the man sitting there. He thinks he's been found not guilty.”

''It was one of many conversations the jury didn't hear in a trial delayed by months, as the court and lawyers grappled with the mental and physical health struggles of a defendant who is unable to read or write in any language.''

''As the case dragged on, Ali complained of illnesses that included auditory hallucinations. His lawyers twice asked for an evaluation to determine whether he was mentally fit to stand trial.

In response to the July 24 incident, Crown attorney Daniel Porte accused Ali of “holding the court hostage.”

McCullough said Ali had a Grade 6 education from Lebanon and was illiterate. He said his client had “serious mental health issues.”

''He said he had previously been involuntarily hospitalized for mental health issues, and once had booked a trip to Ottawa to see Prime Minister Justin Trudeau, although he never left the airport. He was also on antipsychotic medication.''
"Casting pearls before swine" imo.

''News of the first degree murder charge has shocked members of the tight-knit faith community which partnered with a group from Bowen Island to bring Ali and two brothers to the Lower Mainland 17 months ago.

The allegation throws a tragic light on a story that had been one of hope, community and generosity familiar to people across Canada who opened up their hearts and wallets to help refugees fleeing civil war in Syria.''
Thanks for finding that. I went back to find it and couldn’t.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oiueroiuweoiruoiwueroiuwe
Back