GUILTY Canada - Ibrahim Ali, accused of killing girl, 13, Burnaby, BC, 18 July 2017

Tuesday, Dec. 12th:
*Sentencing Hearing (@ 10am PT) – British Columbia, Canada – M. S. (13) (last seen alive on July 18, 2017 at a local Tim Hortons, Burney B.C. & her body was found 5 hours later on July 19, 2017 in Burnaby’s Central Park, Vancouver) - *Ibrahim Ali (28/now 33) arrested & charged (9/7/18) & indicted (11/25/19) with 1st degree murder. Plead not guilty. Held without bail.
Police used a new & somewhat controversial “DNA dragnet” technique, after collecting DNA at the crime scene that indicated a suspect of Middle Eastern descent. (He is a Syrian refugee who entered Canada 3 months before murder).
Trial began on 3/17/23 with jury selection & ended on 3/23/23.
Trial began on 4/5/23 & continued on 4/11/23. Crown rested their case on 11/17/23. Defense began on 11/20/23 & rested their case.
B.C. Supreme Court Justice Lance Bernard presiding. Crown prosecutor Isobel Keeley & Daniel Porte & defense attorney Ben Lynskey & Kevin McCullough.
Jury deliberations Day 1 (12/7/23): probably ~1 hour. Day 2 (12/8/23): a few hours (~3 hours. Total deliberations: ~4 hours. Verdict: Guilty of 1st degree murder.

Case & court info from 1/29/19 thru Trial Days 1-101 (4/28 thru 12/1/23) reference post #271 here:
https://www.websleuths.com/forums/t...irl-13-burnaby-bc-18-july-2017.673539/page-14

12/7/23 Thursday, Trial Day 102/Verdict Watch Day 1: In his final instructions to the jury, B.C. Supreme Court Justice Lance Bernard summed up the arguments presented by Crown and defence &told them they could deliver one of four verdicts: guilty of first-degree murder, second-degree murder or manslaughter — or not guilty. He again cautioned the jury to completely wipe her evidence from their minds. Jury was sent to begin deliberations just after 5pm Thursday.The jury will be sequestered during their deliberations.
Verdict watch continues on Friday, 12/8/23.

12/8/23 Friday, Trial Day 103/Verdict Watch Day 2: The jury came back with its decision minutes after asking the judge to clarify the differences between first- and second-degree murder & manslaughter. Justice Lance Bernard told them murder would mean Ali deliberately caused the girl's death or meant to cause her bodily harm & knew that this was likely to cause death. Bernard said it would qualify as first-degree murder if it happened while Ali committed or attempted to commit a sexual assault against the girl, whose name is protected by a publication ban. A British Columbia Supreme Court jury has found Ibrahim Ali guilty of first-degree murder for the death of a 13-year-old girl. Sentencing hearing on 12/12/23.

rbbm
''A lawyer for Ibrahim Ali in his first-degree murder trial said police told him a person close to the proceeding brought a handgun into the Vancouver courtroom on Friday with "intent to kill."

Kevin McCullough said in an interview with The Canadian Press that police told him the Glock firearm was loaded.''

"I am fearful for my safety, the safety of my co-counsel, Mr. (Ben) Lynskey, and the safety of Mr. Ali at all court appearances," McCullough said Monday.

"It's a sad day when defence counsel or people who are being zealously represented, and somehow that turns into a society where they want defence counsel to be hurt, killed, intimidated and threatened."

''McCullough said his office also received a death threat targeting him shortly after noon on Friday. He said police went to the office and took statements from staff members.

Both defence lawyers also received death threats earlier in the trial, shortly after the death of Crown witness Dr. Tracy Pickett.''

''But her testimony under cross-examination was never completed and she was found dead on the day she was due to return to the stand. The judge later told the jury to disregard all of her testimony.

In hearings without the jury present last week, McCullough read out a note in court that he said he'd received, threatening him and his family with violent deaths.

"It will happen before Christmas. The last thing you will know is that your family suffers like the child suffered. I am suicidal due to childhood predators looking for someone to cause pain to. I'll burn myself alive."

How in the world could someone get through security with a loaded gun? In most courts in Ontario, metal detectors are in use. I tried to pay a speeding ticket at the court house recently and went through more security than at the airport.

Was this person arrested? Is this the person sending the threatening letters to the Defence Attorneys?

How in the world could someone get through security with a loaded gun? In most courts in Ontario, metal detectors are in use. I tried to pay a speeding ticket at the court house recently and went through more security than at the airport.

Was this person arrested? Is this the person sending the threatening letters to the Defence Attorneys?
rbbm
''McCullough had asked on Friday the proceedings be moved to a secure courtroom in light of what he said was a "litany of death threats" against defence lawyers and their families.

The B.C. Supreme Court in Vancouver does not have metal detection and other security checks for all courtrooms.''
''In the document, McCullough states police advised him that someone connected to the family of the deceased teen had been in possession of a Glock gun in the courtroom on Friday and had an “intention to kill.”

rbbm
''McCullough had asked on Friday the proceedings be moved to a secure courtroom in light of what he said was a "litany of death threats" against defence lawyers and their families.

The B.C. Supreme Court in Vancouver does not have metal detection and other security checks for all courtrooms.''
''In the document, McCullough states police advised him that someone connected to the family of the deceased teen had been in possession of a Glock gun in the courtroom on Friday and had an “intention to kill.”
I’m shocked. I truly am.

You can’t get through the front door of the courthouse here without going through a metal detector.

Wow!

Dec 12 '23
“If she is listening now, I want to tell her that we love her; we miss her,” the brother told members of the media outside the Vancouver courthouse Tuesday.

“Nothing will ever fill the void that she left when she was so brutally and suddenly torn from us.”

“But we hope she can find a modicum of peace now, knowing that we caught the monster that did this, and found him guilty for his heinous crimes,” he said.

The brother also expressed some harsh feelings towards Ali’s defence team.

“We resent and despise the defence for the way that they have chosen to act, all of which that was funded by taxpayer money,” he said.

“We will be filing formal complaints through the proper channels to see them disbarred.”

''Days after the conviction, sources say the victim's father is barred from entering the Vancouver courthouse where the trial took place.

CTV News has also learned the grieving parent is under a court order prohibiting him from having contact with Ali's defence lawyers, Kevin McCullough and Ben Lynskey.''

rbbm
1702472148646.png
"The brother of a 13-year-old girl found dead in Burnaby's Central Park in 2017 speaks to media at the Vancouver Law Courts Tuesday about the guilty verdict in his sister's case.Cornelia Nayor''

''Toward the end of his Crown testimony in August, the brother was visibly shaken when he was shown an autopsy photo of his younger sister.''

"The defence of someone accused of the crime is never easy, but I am sure there are ways to approach it without re-victimizing and re-traumatizing the surviving family and friends of the victim, and yet this is exactly what this defence chose to do," the brother said. "They chose to drag (my sister's) name through the mud."

''Ali's trial concluded Friday but hearings on matters arising from the case continue.
He is not expected to be sentenced until sometime in the New Year.
Crown and defence will meet on Jan. 15 to set dates.''

Any news on his sentencing? I sure have not found anything - just what you all have posted here...

Nothing so far about the sentencing..

''Dec 13, 2023 #GlobalNews #crime
Global News has learned the father of the teen victim in the high-profile Ibrahim Ali trial was recently arrested and released by Vancouver police in connection with allegations a gun was taken into the courthouse on the final day of the trial.He has been released with several conditions, including having no contact with the two defence lawyers and to stay away from B.C. Supreme Court in Vancouver.''

Thanks @dotr - now wondering if they moved the sentencing date - with the gun being there & threats to the defense attorneys. But nothing... in the news!

Hey @dotr - you seem to find updated articles - anything on WHEN his sentencing date might be? I have not seen anything...

TIA! and an early

Happy New Year Smiley

Hey @dotr - you seem to find updated articles - anything on WHEN his sentencing date might be? I have not seen anything...

TIA! and an early

Happy New Year Smiley
Oddly, (but then, this has been an odd trial) nothing much other than this..
Dec 26 2023
''The highest-profile homicide case before B.C.’s courts this year was that of Ibrahim Ali, 33, now convicted in the death of a 13-year-old in a slaying in Burnaby’s Central Park.

A jury found Ali guilty Dec. 8 of first-degree murder in the death of the girl, whose partially naked body was found just after 1 a.m. on July 19, 2017, less than two hours after her family reported her missing.

The girl cannot be identified because of a publication ban.

Neither can her brother who spoke with reporters after the verdict''.

Oddly, (but then, this has been an odd trial) nothing much other than this..
Dec 26 2023
''The highest-profile homicide case before B.C.’s courts this year was that of Ibrahim Ali, 33, now convicted in the death of a 13-year-old in a slaying in Burnaby’s Central Park.

A jury found Ali guilty Dec. 8 of first-degree murder in the death of the girl, whose partially naked body was found just after 1 a.m. on July 19, 2017, less than two hours after her family reported her missing.

The girl cannot be identified because of a publication ban.

Neither can her brother who spoke with reporters after the verdict''.

Wonder if the sentenced him when the jury found him guilty. Strange case, yes... I shall keep looking.

Dec 12 '23

The trial concluded Friday but hearings on matters arising from the case continue.
He is not expected to be sentenced until sometime in the New Year.
Crown and defence will meet on Jan. 15 to set dates.''

Ali was convicted of first-degree murder, a charge that carries an automatic sentence of life in prison with no eligibility for parole for 25 years.

So - I am going with this sentencing... :D And put this case in DONE! Unless of course there is another date that pops up later for his TRUE sentencing hearing.

and an early
Happy New Year Smiley
to all who read here!
Fireworks Of Different Colors Smiley

Jan 15, 2024 rbbm
B.C. Premier David Eby says he supports police who secretly collected DNA from members of the Kurdish community to solve the murder of a 13-year-old Burnaby girl. Kier Junos reports.

Brilliant, imo.
Brieanna Charlebois · Jan 15, 2024
''Undercover police investigating the murder of a 13-year-old girl in British Columbia disguised themselves as tea marketers to secretly collect the DNA of about 150 Kurdish community members, court recordings reveal.

Homicide officers said the DNA was obtained at a 2018 Kurdish New Year celebration in Burnaby, B.C., where police handed out free tea samples in numbered cups that were later swabbed, in a sting that identified a brother of the suspect.

That led to the arrest of Ibrahim Ali, who was convicted in December of first-degree murder of the girl whose name is protected by a publication ban.

Ali was in court Monday to fix a date for sentencing, although other applications were heard in the morning. He attended the B.C. Supreme Court hearing by video''

Jan 15, 2024 rbbm
Brilliant, imo.
Brieanna Charlebois · Jan 15, 2024
snipped by me...

Ali was in court Monday to fix a date for sentencing, although other applications were heard in the morning. He attended the B.C. Supreme Court hearing by video''

And here I thought he was sentenced already. Thanks for the update! Wish they would tell us what Other applications were heard at the hearing on Monday....

Bumping up - having NO luck in finding a sentencing date - anyone?? TIA if you can!
 Girl Waving Hello Smiley

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80
Back