Canada- Sharif Rahman, owner of the Curry House restaurant, suffered brain injury after assault by 3 non-paying men, Owen Sound, Ontario, 17 Aug. '23

View attachment 468301
Photo from: Police renew appeal for tips in Sharif Rahman homicide investigation

Their matching shoes and shorts are odd to me. Black socks and shoes with shorts in August? And the third suspect is possibly 20 years older? Their father, maybe? Older co-worker?

Maybe they passed through from Toronto, but for guys possibly in their mid-20s or 30s, they don’t look like typical Torontonians to me. There’s something uncosmopolitan about their look, imo. I’d expect something more stylish or hip, or the complete opposite. These guys look clean cut and the shorts and shoes almost look like part of a uniform. Co-workers, maybe?

The victim was such a great man and it’s unspeakably tragic. I really want this solved, and I think it’s possible.

their outfits are odd to me too - not typical
I wonder if they're travelers from another country

Their matching shoes and shorts are odd to me. Black socks and shoes with shorts in August?

for guys possibly in their mid-20s or 30s, there’s something uncosmopolitan about their look, imo. I’d expect something more stylish or hip, or the complete opposite. These guys look clean cut and the shorts and shoes almost look like part of a uniform.
I agree about the outfits: it's as though the only choice they had was the colour of their brightly coloured t-shirts.

Also, to me it's somewhat at odds for Canadian men who look kinda square and conformist, to choose to eat curry. Maybe a UK connection?

JMO

I wouldn't assume that drawing a blank on the vehicle registration means that the police have done nothing. It's very possible that the plates were stolen or the vehicle stolen or changes made on the VIN etc.
Let's continue to hope that these murderers will be found.
I doubt that plates were stolen. IMO, this was not pre meditated.
just stupid people.

rbbm
''The males fled the area, two of which ran southbound on 2nd Avenue East toward the intersection at 9th Street and continued eastbound on 9th Street East. (see attached photo)
Suspect1.png

The first male is described as being Caucasian, 5’10”- 6’2” tall, medium build, with short dark hair, wearing a light blue t-shirt, black shorts and black running shoes. (see attached photo)
Suspect2.png
Suspect1-2.png

The second male is described as being Caucasian, 5’10”- 6’2” tall, medium build, with short brown hair which is longer on top, wearing an orange t-shirt, black shorts and black running shoes. Both are believed to be in their mid-twenties to mid-thirties in age. (see attached photo)

Police are aware of a third male who is described as being Caucasian with curly hair, wearing shorts and a t-shirt and being in his late forties to mid-fifties in age.
The vehicle involved is similar to a gray or blue 2000’s model Ford Escape or Mazda Tribute
vehicle-1.png
vehicle-2.png

Persons who may have further information or video recordings are asked to contact the Owen Sound Police at 519-376-1234 or Detective Constable Geoff Bridgeman at gbridgeman@owensoundpolice.com. Information may be provided anonymously to Grey Bruce Crime Stoppers at 1-800-222-Tips (8477) or a secure web tip can be submitted online at www.cstip.ca.''

Maybe the perps were in town to visit or work at an event in Owen Sound? speculation
Summerfolk Music and Crafts Festival, Owen Sound
August 18 - 20, 2023

Situated on the shores of beautiful Georgian Bay at Kelso Beach Park in Owen Sound, the 48th Annual Summerfolk Festival offers music on two concert stages Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and several workshop stages during the day on Saturday. There are children’s activities, open mic, demonstrations, circus workshops, a vendor market and more.

I agree about the outfits: it's as though the only choice they had was the colour of their brightly coloured t-shirts.

Also, to me it's somewhat at odds for Canadian men who look kinda square and conformist, to choose to eat curry. Maybe a UK connection?

JMO
I don’t think we can attribute eating curry as being a UK connection.

Many Canadians eat curry here, me included.

I agree that they are most likely out of towners.

Wondering if DNA was obtained from any of the utensils, napkins etc. the poi used when eating food at the restaurant?, imo, speculation.
Dec 7 2023 Alessandra Carneiro
View attachment 468246
''As a community continues to mourn the death of Owen Sound business owner Sharif Rahman, a scholarship to honour his memory will live on.

The donation made by an anonymous donor will go to the Community Foundation of Grey Bruce to support a high school student living in Owen Sound.

The scholarship will be awarded to newcomers to Canada, and potential applicants will be assessed based on their academic records and financial needs, with the foundation adding that the scholarship will also go to a student, which follows Rahman's generous spirit.''
View attachment 468249

Wondering if DNA was obtained from any of the utensils, napkins etc. the poi used when eating food at the restaurant?, imo, speculation.
View attachment 468246
''As a community continues to mourn the death of Owen Sound business owner Sharif Rahman, a scholarship to honour his memory will live on.

The donation made by an anonymous donor will go to the Community Foundation of Grey Bruce to support a high school student living in Owen Sound.

The scholarship will be awarded to newcomers to Canada, and potential applicants will be assessed based on their academic records and financial needs, with the foundation adding that the scholarship will also go to a student, which follows Rahman's generous spirit.''
View attachment 468249
The DNA from the utensils

The DNA from the utensils is a great idea. But was it done?
Since the nephew witnessed the attack, I would assume he could provide enough info for at least sketches of the attackers however I have seen none. Also what about accents and facial hair. The police could provide additional info to the public IMO.

View attachment 468246

View attachment 468249

I’d think there would be a wealth of fingerprints and DNA, imo. Think of just the water and beverage glasses. But my worry is that the table was cleared by wait staff. The restaurant was closing and they were trying to get them to settle their bill. (But still…the drinks are typically the last thing to be cleared.)

The DNA from the utensils is a great idea. But was it done?
Since the nephew witnessed the attack, I would assume he could provide enough info for at least sketches of the attackers however I have seen none. Also what about accents and facial hair. The police could provide additional info to the public IMO.

Composite sketches would be useful.

A good thing is that some Tiktok users who have a platform are covering this story and trying to crowdsource information.

Normally when it comes to identifying an unknown person in public, Tiktok users never fail.

oh well ty cause now I have a reason to use tiktok - downloaded the app like a year or two ago and have never used it

I’d think there would be a wealth of fingerprints and DNA, imo. Think of just the water and beverage glasses. But my worry is that the table was cleared by wait staff. The restaurant was closing and they were trying to get them to settle their bill. (But still…the drinks are typically the last thing to be cleared.)

Composite sketches would be useful.

I didn't think there was any wait staff - I was under the impression it was just the two of them there. I could be wrong.

Maybe the perps were in town to visit or work at an event in Owen Sound? speculation
Summerfolk Music and Crafts Festival, Owen Sound
August 18 - 20, 2023

Situated on the shores of beautiful Georgian Bay at Kelso Beach Park in Owen Sound, the 48th Annual Summerfolk Festival offers music on two concert stages Friday, Saturday, and Sunday and several workshop stages during the day on Saturday. There are children’s activities, open mic, demonstrations, circus workshops, a vendor market and more.
In regards to events that were happening, there was a show by Kalyna Rakel in Sauble Beach that day from 2:00 - 5:00 pm.
I don't know this artist, however from her website she appears to be somewhat of the grunge genre and not a typical local act. As such, she might draw fans from Toronto and other cities.
From the photos of the perps, I conclude that they weren't in the area to hike or for other physical activities as they appear somewhat out of shape IMO. The bland plain clothes they were both wearing is very interesting and certainly not grunge.
Just some thoughts.

I just listened to the podcast on this case by True Crime Garage. They pointed out that the bill was $40, which is a low amount for three men out eating. Which made me wonder if only one man ate at the restaurant, with the other two joining him later. One meal, plus drinks? Why isnt there any footage of the third man fleeing? Is it because he went a different way, to a different car? One he arrived in earlier? If there had only been one meal plus drinks, there is a very good chance everything on the table was cleared- it was closing time.
Were there other customers still in the restaurant? Any who could confirm what time(s) the men arrived?
Could the unusual clothes be to do with sport? 5 a side football, or something like that, with one having the different colour shirt for goalie?

Three new thoughts regarding this case from someone who lives in Southwestern Ontario and is somewhat familiar with the Owen Sound area:

1. Possibility that the culprits could be international workers on travel visas. If you've ever vacationed in Canadian tourist areas, you will hear a lot of British and Australian accents. These are the thousands of mostly young people from the Anglosphere who travel to Canada on short-term visas to work hotels, summer camps, restaurants and and ski hills. Owen Sound is in close proximity to the Bruce Peninsula and Blue Mountain tourist regions, both of which likely have a large number of young people on travel visas.

2. Possibility that this is a targeted racist attack against the South Asian community. There have been discussions about whether or not this could be a hate motivated attack, with many singling out Rahman's Muslim faith. However, I think it's possible that the attack was directed at the South Asian community at large, irregardless of religion, and in particular, directed at the Indian community. In the last few years, the number of immigrants entering Canada has been the largest in a half century. The majority of these immigrants are from India, and this has led to some racist sentiment, especially in smaller and mid-size cities that historically have been very white with minimal racial diversity, and are now seeing newcomers in their communities. Many Canadians have scapegoated immigrants, particularly the Indian community, for current Canadian inflation, limited job prospects and the housing affordability crisis. If I were the police, I would consider scanning extremist message boards and social media channels to see if there was any chatter in the lead up, or immediately after, the event.

3. The strange case of the suspects' clothing. If these suspects are from the area, then I don't think they are regulars at the Curry House. Based on their clothing, they seem like the kind of guys who would frequent a local sports bar or diner. If you're familiar with Canadian restaurants, think Boston Pizza or Kelsey's. In small town Ontario, an Indian restaurant is still seen as quite "exotic" in 2023. The locals who frequented the Curry House were probably mostly tourists, retirees or locals with more cosmopolitan tastes, likely upper-middle or upper class. This could lend credence to the hate-based motive, that the suspects went to the Curry Palace with a sinister plan, and not for pleasure.

Last edited:
I just listened to the podcast on this case by True Crime Garage. They pointed out that the bill was $40, which is a low amount for three men out eating. Which made me wonder if only one man ate at the restaurant, with the other two joining him later. One meal, plus drinks? Why isnt there any footage of the third man fleeing? Is it because he went a different way, to a different car? One he arrived in earlier? If there had only been one meal plus drinks, there is a very good chance everything on the table was cleared- it was closing time.
Were there other customers still in the restaurant? Any who could confirm what time(s) the men arrived?
Could the unusual clothes be to do with sport? 5 a side football, or something like that, with one having the different colour shirt for goalie?

Thanks for the recommendation of True Crime Garage. I liked the episode and the good rapport between the hosts. Their one proposed theory, that this was a simple "dine and dash" that turned violent, is certainly attractive. I'm also interested in finding out what was on the bill and if any alcohol was served.

I checked the weather for that day, there were heavy rain showers at 6.30pm and thunderstorms at 6.45pm. I wonder if they had been doing an outdoor activity and went into the restaurant for shelter, but ended up staying to eat? Records showed light rain showers from mid afternoon, but they didn't have jackets or a hoodie, seems odd.

I checked the weather for that day, there were heavy rain showers at 6.30pm and thunderstorms at 6.45pm. I wonder if they had been doing an outdoor activity and went into the restaurant for shelter, but ended up staying to eat? Records showed light rain showers from mid afternoon, but they didn't have jackets or a hoodie, seems odd.

The day had been warm, 26C, so they wouldn't likely bring jackets, even if it rained. But your thought reinforces the idea that they may have come into town from somewhere else and left their home town during the heat of the day. On the other hand, the locals wouldn't bother with jackets or umbrellas either. No one wears jackets before the middle of September.

View attachment 468301
Photo from: Police renew appeal for tips in Sharif Rahman homicide investigation

Their matching shoes and shorts are odd to me. Black socks and shoes with shorts in August? And the third suspect is possibly 20 years older? Their father, maybe? Older co-worker?

Maybe they passed through from Toronto, but for guys possibly in their mid-20s or 30s, they don’t look like typical Torontonians to me. There’s something uncosmopolitan about their look, imo. I’d expect something more stylish or hip, or the complete opposite. These guys look clean cut and the shorts and shoes almost look like part of a uniform. Co-workers, maybe?

The victim was such a great man and it’s unspeakably tragic. I really want this solved, and I think it’s possible.

They look like brothers to me.

The identical clothing, save for shirt colour, seems really important in identifying these guys.

Adult friends or brothers tend not to dress in identical fashion normally.

I wondered if they may have been on a team building exercise or something like that? Could the older guy be a boss? Do so such events take place in the area?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
liskfanatic63
Back