CANADA Canada - Stephanie Stewart, 70, Alberta, Aug 2006

Perhaps this year will uncover the answers as to what happened to this dear woman, Stephanie Stewart.

My heart goes out to her loved ones.

August 26, 2021
By
Dave Naylor
Screen-Shot-2021-08-26-at-3.00.59-PM.png

rbbm.
Who murdered Stephanie Stewart?
''It’s was 15 years ago Thursday, when Stephanie Stewart vanished from her wildfire lookout tower near Hinton, Ab.

There has been no sign of the then 70-year-old since and the RCMP is issuing another appeal for anyone who might have any information to come forward.

On that fateful day, when Stewart didn’t respond to a morning radio check-in, coworkers contacted police to report her missing.''

“Investigators have nothing further to report at this time, however, RCMP believe there are people who know what happed to Stephanie and would like to speak with them.”

HHU and Hinton RCMP are asking for the public’s assistance to report any information in relation to this incident (or identifying those responsible). Please contact Hinton RCMP at 780-865-2455, or your local police.

Stewart was about 5-ft. 2-ins and weighed approximately 105 lbs. She had chin-length grey hair and blue eyes.''

DBM double post

Last edited:
Stephanie's case was covered in the podcast Park Predators recently and it was the first I had her about her, so I looked for her thread here. Based on what I've read in the thread, no real new info in the podcast, but glad her case is still getting publicity and put out there to the public. How sad that 16 years later, she has never been found.

By Joanna CheekAugust 11, 2021
''Sarah, a 65-year-old observer who staffs a lookout outside Hinton, three hours west of Edmonton, has worked as a lookout for 18 years since her children moved out. She’d left behind a career in health care to pursue what she considered her dream job. (Sarah is not her real name; Maclean’s has withheld her identity and the precise locations of towers because of security concerns for employees posted alone in the field.) ''

''The most problematic species for the lookouts is *advertiser censored* sapiens. The occasional drunk hunter has tried to climb the ladder, so Champagne is trained in self-defence and de-escalation skills. And the wildfire community is still haunted by the unsolved disappearance of a 70-year-old lookout named Stephanie Stewart, who was last seen in 2006 at her fire tower. The case is being investigated as a homicide.''

Regarding the double murder in 2021 of M. Busch (a young mom) and her son in Hinton Alberta.
Robert Keith Major (53) was arrested. He was a known sex offender…he had been charged with an offence in 2006.
Where was he when Stephanie went missing? I wonder if the authorities looked into him…as he doesn’t seem to care who his victims are…young..older…and I don’t have details on the 2006 arrest but he had spent time in jail and police in Edmonton warned the public about him in 2017… high risk to re-offend.

Regarding the double murder in 2021 of M. Busch (a young mom) and her son in Hinton Alberta.
Robert Keith Major (53) was arrested. He was a known sex offender…he had been charged with an offence in 2006.
Where was he when Stephanie went missing? I wonder if the authorities looked into him…as he doesn’t seem to care who his victims are…young..older…and I don’t have details on the 2006 arrest but he had spent time in jail and police in Edmonton warned the public about him in 2017… high risk to re-offend.
Simply repulsive, imo.
1661440355655.png

Lengthy article. rbbm.
August 26 2022 By Kieran Leavitt
1661518158825.png
''HINTON, ALTA.—A valley of trees, an old railroad, and peaceful mountain ranges splay out for hikers who summit the tranquil William Switzer Fire Tower Trail near Hinton.

But pieces of an old murder mystery also lie scattered there for visitors who take a closer look — a cabin, a wildfire watchtower and RCMP missing-person poster asking for information with an offer of a $20,000 reward.

Stephanie Stewart, 70, vanished 16 years ago this week.''

''To this day, her disappearance has confounded Albertans; police are still investigating.

It’s believed that Stewart disappeared sometime between the evening of Friday, Aug. 25, 2006 and the next morning. She failed to do a regular check-in on the Saturday morning, prompting another employee to travel out to her cabin 25 kilometres northwest of the town of Hinton, itself about three hours west of Edmonton.''

''The search for Stewart hasn’t stopped, either. In 2018, about 100 people, including search and rescue volunteers and RCMP officers, set out to look for clues in an area of nearly 8,000 hectares around the tower.

It’s not clear what, if any, progress has been made on the file recently.

Halvorson, speaking generally about the work his unit does in Alberta, says much of it involves reviewing exhibits to see what kind of forensic analysis was done, and then seeing if there are new kinds of technology that can be used. From genealogy and DNA analysis to ground-penetrating radar, police tool boxes have expanded over the years.

These days, DNA is usually behind a break on a historic case, says Halvorson, as over the last 10 years labs have significantly reduced how much material is needed to create a profile, using picograms (a trillionth of a gram) of DNA now instead of nanograms (a billionth).''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MiaEvans52
Back