CANADA Canada - Whitney, Ont, WhtMale HC95, 18-29, @ Algonquin Park campsite, Apr'80

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/toronto/opp-forensics-1.4222770

In April 1980, a hiker veered off the Hardwood Lookout Trail in Algonquin Provincial Park and stumbled across human remains.

A police search of the area near Whitney, Ont. soon after uncovered a size 11 boot, a black sleeping bag, a pair of Levi's jeans, a belt worn out at the 32-inch hole, a camp stove, and a wallet with no identification.

After another search of the area 15 years later led to the discovery of more remains, and forensic anthropological analysis painted a picture of who the man was. Caucasian. Around 18 to 29-years-old. Long blonde or brown hair. And a slim build. His belt was worn out right at the 32-inch hole.

One piece was particularly intriguing for police the man's clothes were found piled neatly beside a sleeping bag. "That led investigators to believe at the time that the individual likely got undressed to sleep," says Ontario Provincial Police Det. Insp. Rob Matthews.

Much more info and pic in above link
This scenario for his clothes would have meant the skeleton was nude or close, and he was found not actually in the sleeping bag.

No sign of tent/tarp or backpack? It’s odd not to have those if you own a camping stove. Unless maybe he had a car or bike. And this is either a developed campground or a dispersed campground with specific spots, apparently….

Was there a fuel source for the stove? How about a pot?

Greb got the license to manufacture the Hush Puppies brand from an American company. Hush Puppies had crepe rubber soles so they wouldn't be that slippery and much more comfortable hiking in than a Kodiak work boot that Greb also made but without knowing the style we're just speculating.
A person wouldn’t want to be hiking in Hush Puppies at all. Just sayin’. In the 1970’s, there weren’t alot of specific hiking boots, especially in the affordable category. Folks often used work boots or whatever they could drum up, but definitely not hush puppies. They had minimal ankle support and no real structure underfoot. Hush puppies were city shoes.

Lighter weight, non-leather, hiking boots didn’t come along til later. The first ones I remember seeing were made in the early 80’s by New Balance and Nike. Before that, in the US, you used big ‘ol boots of some sort. The Greb work boots are exactly the kind of thing people would use.

Recall, there was no Goretex in the ‘70’s, so waterproofing was a waxy or high-fat material you applied to the outside leather of boots, so fabric on shoes wasn’t practical, and smooth leather worked best. We used to call it Dubbins, but it could be mink oil or something. So yeah, work boots. The aroma of mink oil is drifting into my nostrils….

Last edited:
II that header wasn't a typo and he's considered a homicide victim, he wasn't alone at some point. So a 2nd (or 3rd, etc.) person may have taken a tent and/or other supplies. Whatever was taken may have been traceable (or needed, like canned food and can opener) but the stove was not and so left behind.

So if there was evidence he was murdered, it's not clear how. So...he wrote a note as he lay dying? The position of his remains? Handcuffs or bindings? I'm assuming not all the details have been released, which may mean there is a suspect or person of interest.

A person wouldn’t want to be hiking in Hush Puppies at all. Just sayin’. In the 1970’s, there weren’t alot of specific hiking boots, especially in the affordable category. Folks often used work boots or whatever they could drum up, but definitely not hush puppies. They had minimal ankle support and no real structure underfoot. Hush puppies were city shoes.

Lighter weight, non-leather, hiking boots didn’t come along til later. The first ones I remember seeing were made in the early 80’s by New Balance and Nike. Before that, in the US, you used big ‘ol boots of some sort. The Greb work boots are exactly the kind of thing people would use.

Recall, there was no Goretex in the ‘70’s, so waterproofing was a waxy or high-fat material you applied to the outside leather of boots, so fabric on shoes wasn’t practical, and smooth leather worked best. We used to call it Dubbins, but it could be mink oil or something. So yeah, work boots. The aroma of mink oil is drifting into my nostrils….

I guess you would know better than me, since I don't hike mountain trails, etc. Although, I think back then, if someone wasn't really a hiker they may think a more comfortable shoe would be ideal for walking without considering the issues surrounding lack of ankle support, etc. Also, income or lack thereof could be an indicator of whether someone would be able to have different shoes for different circumstances.

Undergoing Testing
1713569042219.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aprilssister94