CO - Civil Rape Trial of Kobe Bryant (Charges Dropped)

lcookster said:
I never reported QUOTE]

I never reported to L/E either.Long after the fact my family consulted an attorney but we were told since I waited so long coupled with no evidence (other than my word) that it wouldn't go anywhere and if anything Id get dragged through the mud (instead of getting him charged with "actual" rape we also thought about statuatory rape,I was 14 he was 19,but again its my word against his).It didn't help that after raping me he went and "bragged" about having sex with me so when I did reveal to a few people what happened they too had trouble beliving it was rape (My rapist was someone who had dated my sister and we all had mutual friends) and to be honest,my parents were very nonsupportive as well(I had no counseling until I initiated it on my own as an adult)and I too was doubted by even close friends as they too thought rape meant a dirty,stranger forcing you at knifepoint into a dark alley and had trouble beliving that this friendly,good looking guy who was well known because he played in a local band forced me to have sex with him in his car when he supposed to be driving me home(I wont go into details but he knew I did NOT want to have sex with him-he knew I was a virgin-and he actually apologised after the fact which just added to the trauma).I have reason to belive I was not his only victim but he has never been reported for rape.

I regret that although I was terribly young,I had been smarter and stronger and either fought OR promptly reported him but I was ashamed/embarassed and felt that I would be called a liar(which I was) but Ive worked alot of this out in therapy and am working with others who have had similar expirences (I know "date rape" is underreported but I think its even more rampant than we know..........they say 1 out of 3 but I think its more like 2 out of 3 )

Thank you for sharing your story L!!!!! You are not alone!

messiecake said:
lcookster said:
I never reported QUOTE]

....they say 1 out of 3 but I think its more like 2 out of 3 )

Thank you for sharing your story L!!!!! You are not alone!
No, not alone. It's a shame, and thanks for sharing your stories. I probably would have been able to avoid it happening to me but was given the date rape drug by an ex-boyfriend. Terrible experience and it took a while to remember what led up to what was going on. I woke up in the middle of it but quickly passed out again until morning. I didn't report it because I had dated him in the past. I told many of our mutual friends especially the girls, but never went to LE. What a low scumball he is. How would these guys like getting it in ways they don't agree to. I just don't see how they can enjoy hurting someone. :confused:

Judge just set Aug 27 as trial date for Kobe - both prosecution and defense said they would be ready, so finally...

Here's a bit more on what Peggy posted

http://www.modbee.com/state_wire/story/8760600p-9640424c.html

The trial is expected to take three to four weeks, including the process of questioning and choosing jurors.

In an order Friday, state District Judge Terry Ruckriegle also denied a request by both sides to include a preliminary questionnaire when jury summonses are mailed to Eagle County residents randomly selected by computer.

Seems 3-4 weeks for trial, including jury selection, is very optimisic - media will be all over Eagle, wonder if they are prepared for it, one paper, Rocky Mountain News I think, predicted he will be acquitted due to little evidence. But,,, I think it will come down to a she said, he said thing--if she testifies and he doesn't, well, anyone's guess who the jury believes

Regardless of my past experience on this subject, I can honestly say that I have an open mind. I really do want to know about the text messages, and question her activities after the 'assault'. I am still on the fence on this one, but hope that the truth will surface.

snorky said:
Regardless of my past experience on this subject, I can honestly say that I have an open mind. I really do want to know about the text messages, and question her activities after the 'assault'. I am still on the fence on this one, but hope that the truth will surface.

Think I could have an open mind too on jury, even though I personally don't care for Kobe--seems so arrogant(speaking of baskeball here--demanding coach be fired, which he was, wanting to select next one, etc.) but anxious also to hear about text messages and hear accusor's testimony, that should be very telling, and would hope Kobe would testify - anyone think that is likely?

peggy said:
Think I could have an open mind too on jury, even though I personally don't care for Kobe--seems so arrogant(speaking of baskeball here--demanding coach be fired, which he was, wanting to select next one, etc.) but anxious also to hear about text messages and hear accusor's testimony, that should be very telling, and would hope Kobe would testify - anyone think that is likely?

I usually say that the defendant wont take the stand but I feel w/ Kobe its highly likely because the Pros are going to play his taped convo w/ LE and he'll need to counteract that.

messiecake said:
I usually say that the defendant wont take the stand but I feel w/ Kobe its highly likely because the Pros are going to play his taped convo w/ LE and he'll need to counteract that.
Good point, Messiecake. I think also, he is used to performing and speaking in public and that he wouldn't want to miss an opportunity to persuade a jury. He knows that he has many fans, and perhaps some on the jury?

I posted in the original thread about Kobe Bryant. I have been catching up with all you have been saying.

I am a basketball fan. Though I haven't been following the games as much as I used to; I have been following the KB case.

In the beginning I suspected that KB would be found guilty. Even though rape seemed very out of character for the man. One never knows for sure about these things. Then as time went on I changed my mind. Presently I do not believe that KB raped this young lady. Like I said it is very out of character from what I have observed of Kobe.

So far, I suspect that this young lady was put up to this by somebody. I wonder if she thought it might all be settled out of court and she would get a nice sum of money to shut up. She certainly does not seem to have a very good reputation. (Which does not mean it is okay to rape her. It certainly is not.)

Everybody sees things differently. That is why I like these forums so much. I never perceived Kobe as arrogant. Then again, I suppose, one has to have some arrogance to get to the top of any sport. One has to believe in themselves. I also was under the impression that Coach Jackson was leaving the Lakers because his 5 year contract is up. I also heard somewhere the Kobe is considering leaving the Lakers too.

As it stands right now, with me, I think Kobe is innocent of the charges. Then that could change with time.

There is evidence that there was DNA from other men on her and/or her clothes. The shirt with the blood was found in the bathroom; the blood was on the inside of the shirt. Does it not seem odd that she would pick a shirt up off the bathroom floor to wipe blood off of her when there are towels? Has it said whether or not there was seman in the blood on the shirt? She waited so long before reporting the rape. That seemed odd to me. Then rape is traumatic and maybe a friend told her she should. It is said she went back to work after and that no coworkers saw anything different about her. It seems to me that she would have shown some sign of a problem.

As evidence is presented I could change my mind. If he is guilty of rape I think he should be punished accordingly. Celebrity does not give people the right to do wrong.

This is going to be even more interesting as time goes on.

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGBO0ER41WD.html

"Media organizations that were accidentally sent transcripts of a closed-door hearing in the Kobe Bryant case asked the Colorado Supreme Court on Monday to overturn a judge's order threatening them with contempt of court if they publish or even retain the information.
A court reporter who meant to send transcripts of the June 21-22 hearing to the judge instead e-mailed them Thursday to seven media groups, including The Associated Press. State District Judge Terry Ruckriegle then ordered those groups to destroy their copies without publishing them. "

http://www.modbee.com/state_wire/story/8773799p-9654529c.html

"The attorney for a witness in the Kobe Bryant case asked the judge to order the return of all but one of the cell phone text messages his client sent and received after the NBA star allegedly assaulted a resort worker.
Only the one message, sent to Bryant's accuser about 16 hours after the alleged attack, might be relevant to the case

Something interesting I heard on FoxNews............Mr.Herr,the AV's ex boyfriend who refused a defense requested DNA test and is a party involved in the text messages recently hired a criminal attorney to represent his "interests" in the case............why would he need a criminal lawyer????

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/breaking/MGB2ERQA2WD.html

The Colorado Supreme Court stepped into a First Amendment battle in the Kobe Bryant case Tuesday, ordering the trial judge to justify his threat to hold media organizations in contempt if they publish transcripts from a closed-door hearing.
The transcripts were accidentally sent to seven media organizations last week. Responding to a request from media attorneys, the Supreme Court gave District Judge Terry Ruckriegle until Friday to explain why it should not overturn his order prohibiting dissemination of the information.

Justices also said they would consider arguments from prosecutors, Bryant's lawyers and an attorney for the accuser.

hmmmm....hope all these arguments being made to higher court won't delay the trial - wonder what they are.

Jack said:
Being a woman myself though I can tell you that if I had been raped, or even in a situation that was consentual but just hurt me, I would not be running out and having relations with anyone else right away. That's what gets me. If it is proven that she did sleep with one or more men within hours of allegedly being raped then there is no way that I could even consider her rape allegation as being true if I were a juror.
I agree with you, if the sex she had with others was AFTER the alleged rape. How many times she had sex with one or more partners PRIOR to the encounter with Kobe should have absolutely no bearing on this case. If the encounter with Kobe was rough, and he was unusually large, it is easy to understand how tearing and bleeding could occur. I can also imagine her asking him to stop once it became painful. However I can't imagine that once she was vaginally injured she would want sex with anyone else for at least several days. So, if she did have sex within a day or two after the alleged rape, then I could not vote guilty.

Don't you think the DA/prosecutor is aware of her sexual history, prior and afterwards, and the effect this might have on a jury - that is what bothers me-- seems like he would drop the charges if he thought it would, but he hasn't and seemed so confident when he announced he was filing charges against him last year that he had a solid case - really interested in seeing how all this comes out at the trial

peggy said:
Don't you think the DA/prosecutor is aware of her sexual history, prior and afterwards, and the effect this might have on a jury - that is what bothers me-- seems like he would drop the charges if he thought it would, but he hasn't and seemed so confident when he announced he was filing charges against him last year that he had a solid case - really interested in seeing how all this comes out at the trial

Ive said before they saw a "hollywood case" and ran with it despite what seems to be very flimsy evidence.
Their first warning shouldve have been her story changing but if that wasnt enough what about when the rape kit results came back showing semen NOT Kobe's???or the lack of positive post rape witnesses OR the fact the DA used money from the Victim Compensation Fund to send her to rehab(although less than a month after rehab she has been reported to have been drinking)..........The Pre-Liem. judge didnt think they had enough but at this point the DA is at the point of no return so theyre going to trudge forward despite the very high,very real risk of losing and looking like fools if it comes out that the AV lied.

messiecake said:
The Pre-Liem. judge didnt think they had enough but at this point the DA is at the point of no return so theyre going to trudge forward despite the very high,very real risk of losing and looking like fools if it comes out that the AV lied.

You may have something there about risks - Hurlbert just announced he won't be directly involved in trial - only in supervisory capacity

Pulling Out

I think the AV is going to get slaughtered on cross examination.I belive Kobe's defense (with more money and resources than the state)has more info on AV than the DA has any inkling of and will just hammer her.Kobe will then walk and the State will have ALOT of explaining to do in regards to how theyre spending the taxpayers money (I really take issue with them paying for the AV to go to rehab!!! That is NOT what the victims compensation fund is for!!!!!!).

Hurlbert knows the ship is sinking (and his career which he thought would soar with this big case)is going with it................

Well, whether she gets slaughtered on cross will depend I guess on what the judge allows the defense to ask, i.e., sexual history, etc. I don't think that has been fully determined yet, but maybe it has--this case, unfortunately, isn't getting much publicity in my area, but that is probably because I'm in "Laker" country. BTW, what was she in rehab for, was it related to this incident?
(Oh, one thing I feel "pretty sure" about is Vanessa will soon depart, more quickly if he is convicted. Either way she will go away with a truckload of money--he should have taken prior advice to get a pre-nup agreement)

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BJarv
Back