CO - Civil Rape Trial of Kobe Bryant (Charges Dropped)

DID I JUST READ THIS CORRECTLY??????
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,131071,00.html

:woohoo:

Mr.Cake says he heard something on the radio on the way home about the Judge ruling AV cannot sue in a civ. trial..........anyone got any info on THAT???

(Can Kobe sue her for slander then???? :confused: )

messiecake said:
DID I JUST READ THIS CORRECTLY??????
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,131071,00.html

:woohoo:

Mr.Cake says he heard something on the radio on the way home about the Judge ruling AV cannot sue in a civ. trial..........anyone got any info on THAT???

(Can Kobe sue her for slander then???? :confused: )

I'm not sure what you're asking here MessieCake. Anyone can sue anyone for anything at any time. There's no way this judge can say that the alleged victim in this case cannot sue Kobe in a civil court for monetary damages. However, if she does, then Kobe could file a counter-claim if his attorneys felt he had grounds for it. Also, if the prosecution agrees to drop the criminal proceedings now, it will be without prejudice, which means they could always bring it up again at a later date. If the alleged victim in this matter decided that she didn't want to press the matter, her being sued by him could change her mind and she may decide to pursue the matter anyway. Rumors of that interview that Kobe gave that could have done serious damage to his reputation may get out and I would think that it would be worth it for him to just let the matter drop and get out as quietly as he can. After all, he paid his wife millions in jewelery to shut her up - I would imagine he may be willing to pay the "victim" off too.

Jeana (DP) said:
I'm not sure what you're asking here MessieCake. Anyone can sue anyone for anything at any time. There's no way this judge can say that the alleged victim in this case cannot sue Kobe in a civil court for monetary damages. However, if she does, then Kobe could file a counter-claim if his attorneys felt he had grounds for it. Also, if the prosecution agrees to drop the criminal proceedings now, it will be without prejudice, which means they could always bring it up again at a later date. If the alleged victim in this matter decided that she didn't want to press the matter, her being sued by him could change her mind and she may decide to pursue the matter anyway. Rumors of that interview that Kobe gave that could have done serious damage to his reputation may get out and I would think that it would be worth it for him to just let the matter drop and get out as quietly as he can. After all, he paid his wife millions in jewelery to shut her up - I would imagine he may be willing to pay the "victim" off too.

Not a dime. And the case was dropped with prejudice.

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Now let's just hope they find Lori Hackings body AND the jury convicts Scooter Peterson!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Just read Jack's link here and haven't heard TV news yet, so did they drop it since defense had asked judge to drop it and when informed of that, prosecutor dropped it? Anyway, it is over, was all set for trial on Tuesday. If she can't, or doesn't, proceed with civil suit, sure she will get lots of offers from tabloids for "her" story - the juicy sex angle will be worth big bucks to them. Anyway, you're right, Messie, now to find Lori and burn Scott.

I always thought the best way to handle this was a civil suit. Let the victim collect from Bryant, monetary awards, this case belonged all along in the civil rather than criminal court.

Kobe's apology:

"I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.

Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado."

LA Times

so not quite over it seems (except no more criminal)

peggy said:
Kobe's apology:

"I want to apologize to her for my behavior that night and for the consequences she has suffered in the past year. Although this year has been incredibly difficult for me personally, I can only imagine the pain she has had to endure. I also want to apologize to her parents and family members, and to my family and friends and supporters, and to the citizens of Eagle, Colo.

Although I truly believe this encounter between us was consensual, I recognize now that she did not and does not view this incident the same way I did. After months of reviewing discovery, listening to her attorney, and even her testimony in person, I now understand how she feels that she did not consent to this encounter.

I issue this statement today fully aware that while one part of this case ends today, another remains. I understand that the civil case against me will go forward. That part of this case will be decided by and between the parties directly involved in the incident and will no longer be a financial or emotional drain on the citizens of the state of Colorado."

LA Times

so not quite over it seems (except no more criminal)

INTERESTING STATEMENT. My guess is that he will never cheat again. Let this be a lesson to all cheaters out there. Watch out, especially if you have money.

My comment does not mean I feel he is innocent, but I don't fully believe that she was actually raped. I think she had second thoughts after the fact &/or wanting to have the rest of her life paid for. :angel:

I heard a rumor that there has been a settlement in the civil case, but they are not going to make the announcement for a bit. They will also not disclose the amount of money that she was paid.

You were right, Jack, that the dismissal was with prejudice.

Babcat said:
I'd love to know when that happened since according to her story and HIS, he bent her over a chair and "entered" from behind.

Bi-polar conditions are so common that a good 10% of the population is afflicted. And there are more untreated, undiagnosed, or misdiagnosed cases of bi-polarism than there are reported and treated cases. There needs to be some serious education in this country, mandatory, on mental illness and the myths and realities.

Whose personality does rape "fit"? Do you know Kobe Bryant personally? Does double murder fit the personality of pre 1994 OJ Simpson?

Do professional athletes have sex differently than the rest of us?? If they do... such as excessively rough... should this be expected because, after all, they are professional athletes. :confused: And remember... according to the defense, this girl is an absolute *advertiser censored*. By now she should be three times the size (in diameter vaginally) of "good" or "wholesome" 19 or 20-year-olds. So what made her bleed?

OK... so now Kobe shouldn't be "feeling bad" that he happens to be the only one of this duo who is married and cheating... instead SHE should take over in the guilt department and feel remorseful for hurting this other woman she doesn't know. But remember??... She's a *advertiser censored*! She doesn't care who she hurts. And besides... the remedy for aleviating guilt caused by cheating with this married man is now to accuse him of rape?? THAT is suppose to make his wife... whom you feel sympathy for... feel so much better? How does this make sense?

There is an awful lot of victim blaming and "comfortable denial" going on in this case. Rape, unlike any other crime, brings scorn upon the victim, especially when the offender is someone we prefer to look up to. It's her fault because she went in his room in the first place. It's her fault because she didn't scream or fight enough. It's her fault because she has had sex willingly with people in the past.

Absolutely EVERY effort will be made to divert attention from the person who actually committed the crime. And while every creative explanation is being asserted to show how she did everything wrong and practically requested rape... every creative excuse in the book will be asserted to lessen the culpability of the offender... such as "He didn't hear her say no"... "He thought she was into it"... "A lot of women cry during sex"... "Men can't turn it off once they get to a certain point"... :sick:

The reality is that three times as many rapes occur than are reported. Women and young girls avoid reporting rape because they fear they will not be believed... and they are rarely proved wrong in that belief. Statistics recorded over thirty years time indicate that less than one percent of rapes that are reported turn out to be false accusations. More than 90% of men who are aquitted on a rape charge because a jury fails to believe the victim, will be in court again charged with rape within 7 years. One can only imagine how many unreported rapes happened in the interim. 87% of rapists are successful, thought highly of, and law abiding in every other aspect of their lives. They are all races, all classes, and all ages.

Hats off to you!!! Excellent post!!

I'm starting this as a thread to put all news related to the trial as the other threads are too cluttered!!!

Our first news item is this:
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,135530,00.html

No brainer her name would have to be listed in the court docs and Im surprised her lawyers really tried to keep it anoymous.

Im fine with the press still not using her name now but what happens *if* (i want say "when" but Im trying to be nice :D ) she loses the case? Will her name be used then?

Messiecake,

I wonder just how far this suit is going to go? Since Lin Wood is representing her, I would think he just wants a quick settlement and be done with the whole mess. Kind of like what he has done with the Ramseys!

Tezi(are you finished your homework????:p)

If KB was gonna settle it wouldve happened already! I know AV supporters are claiming a settlement took place but I dont buy it! I think Linny has met his match w/ Mackey and Team Kobe and they are bound and determined to see this through and make sure EVERYTHING about this girl and the case gets out .
Since I belive Kobe is innocent of rape(while being guilty of being louse) Im glad theyre sticking to their guns!

I don't see this case going to trial. Don't forget that they can settle at any time, they can walk into court the first day of the trial and settle before they begin. It wouldn't necessarily have happened already. There has already been quite a bit of discovery conducted in this case, but they need time to review it all and gather more evidence and try and coordinate witnesses depositions, expert discovery, and more. We've only just begun people. Welcome to the wonderful world of litigation!!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back