CT CT - Raymond Carey Jr., 16, Hartford, Oct 25, 1963

Murkywaters

Reaction score
Original

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Raymond Carey Jr. went to the Lithuanian Dance Hall in Hartford, CT on the evening of 10-25-1963. He did not return home after the dance. Carey had no history of running away.

Bloomfield, CT Police Department

Raymond is at the top of their list:

"Detective Laiuppa and Cadet Googe are currently reviewing Bloomfield PD’s missing persons cold cases. The following is a list of our cold case missing persons files:

-Raymond G. Carey JR. (D.O.B 3/10/47), Missing since 10/25/63, Case# 63-V-9997"

He would be 72 as of last month. That is, of course, if he still walks amongst us.

Raymond G. Carey Jr. – The Charley Project

carey_raymond.jpg

• Missing Since 10/25/1963
  • Missing From Hartford, Connecticut
  • Classification Endangered Missing
  • Date of Birth 03/10/1947 (72)
  • Age 16 years old
  • Height and Weight 5'6, 130 pounds
  • Clothing/Jewelry Description A dark green sweater, a dark green sport shirt, black pants and gray suede shoes.
  • Distinguishing Characteristics Caucasian male. Brown hair, blue eyes. Raymond has a scar on his lip.

Details of Disappearance
Raymond was last seen during the evening of October 25, 1963. He left his home in the 70 block of Daniel Boulevard in Bloomfield, Connecticut at 7:15 p.m., intending to go to a movie, but had a change of plans. He went to a bowling alley instead, then to a Pi Kappa Sigma sorority dance at the Lithuanian Dance Hall in the 200 block of Lawrence Street Hartford, Connecticut.

While he was at the dance, Raymond told another boy he had a ride home. A witness saw him leaving the dance hall with three other teenage boys. He never returned home and has never been heard from again. His parents reported him missing the next morning.

At the time of his disappearance, Raymond was a junior at Bloomfield High School and lived with his parents and sister. He enjoyed sports and played on the basketball and softball teams at Bethel Baptist Church. He had no prior history of running away. His case remains unsolved. Bloomfield police are investigating.

I've lived in CT all my life, just a few minutes from Hartford, and never heard of this case.

From what I've heard from my parents, apparently halls of various ethnicities holding dances was a commonplace thing in those days. They were popular among people of all ages, and it was also common for teens to walk home, even if the dances ended late at night. (Wouldn't it be nice to live in that kind of world today!)

A witness reported seeing Raymond leaving the dance with three other boys - did the witness recognize who they were? If not, did any of Raymond's other friends know who he might likely have left with? If so, what happened when those people last saw him?

posterTitleMissing.png

Raymond Cary
NCMC1354107c1.jpg

• Missing Since
    • Oct 25, 1963
    • Missing From
    • Hartford, CT
    • DOB
    • Mar 10, 1947
    • Age Now
    • Sex
    • Male
    • Race
    • White
    • Hair Color
    • Blonde
    • Eye Color
    • Blue
    • Height
    • 5'6"
    • Weight
    • 130 lbs
Age Progressed
NCMC1354107e1.jpg

Raymond's photo is shown age-progressed to 72 years. He was last seen on October 25, 1963.

• dontHesitate.png
  • ANYONE HAVING INFORMATION SHOULD CONTACT
  • call911.png
  • Bloomfield Police Department (Connecticut) 1-860-242-5501

Raymond was small for his age at 5'6" and 130 lbs. I can see him being the type who would have been a victim of bullying. I think the three teenage boys who offered to drive him home killed him for a lark.

A deathbed confession is probably the only hope for solving this case.

Last edited:
And no one was able to identify the teenagers he left with??? Teenagers usually frequent the same places, someone must know them and Hartford is not a very big city.View attachment 413205
Yes! And who did he socialize with at the dance? Could the boys actually have been frat boys and they did something as part of a pledge? I wonder if showing his picture at any of the college reunions or parades would jog someone's memory. It's been so long.

I cant seem to find any more information about this. What a sad case. I agree with what everyone else has said - were the other boys ever identified? Someone at that party must know something

Oh cases like this make me so frustrated! Poor kid. Why, oh why did LE not identify the boys he left with...it wouldn't seem to be that difficult - the identities of everyone attending the dance would have been a start. Raymond changed his plans that night, did anyone ever check why? Did he go bowling alone...that seems unlikely, no?

Would Raymond normally accept a ride with strangers? Perhaps, it was a different world back then. But is it more likely he knew these guys? And if so, how did he know them? Since they were driving they must have been older boys.

It sounds like a "just show up" dance hall. So a witness could see him leave based on the description of clothes he was wearing (or notice his height), and not know either him or the identifies of the three others. I'm likening it to seeing a group of kids at a movie theatre, you might notice some detail - "one guy had a mohawk" - but you wouldn't know them or have a reason to look twice. Seeing as he said he had a ride home, how did he get there? It sounds like those same three may have brought him there. Maybe they went out drinking and he passed out in the woods, they left him and he died of hypothermia on an October night in the northeast. Or, he truly looked out of place and it was a robbery gone bad. Bloomfield is a nice community, but Hartford has some rough areas, and did then.

It sounds like a "just show up" dance hall. So a witness could see him leave based on the description of clothes he was wearing (or notice his height), and not know either him or the identifies of the three others. I'm likening it to seeing a group of kids at a movie theatre, you might notice some detail - "one guy had a mohawk" - but you wouldn't know them or have a reason to look twice. Seeing as he said he had a ride home, how did he get there? It sounds like those same three may have brought him there. Maybe they went out drinking and he passed out in the woods, they left him and he died of hypothermia on an October night in the northeast. Or, he truly looked out of place and it was a robbery gone bad. Bloomfield is a nice community, but Hartford has some rough areas, and did then.
Good point about how he got there in the first place. I need to check the actual distance between locations but from what you said I'm guessing it wasn't walkable?

He did know at least one other boy there who he told he had a lift home. I'm not sure if that's the same boy who witnessed him leaving.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JennySue80
Back