Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

I believe I’ve found her. Her maiden name is Oliver.

She’s listed in the 1950 census under her mother’s 1st husband’s surname (I’ve not found a record of a marriage to an Oliver).

Linda married R.R. Childers in Aug 1963, and they divorced in Feb 1966.

Her mother’s 3rd husband’s 1974 obituary lists Mrs. Linda S Childers as surviving him and living in New York City.

Her mother’s initials are I.L.H., but I can not find where she’s ever been I.L.N.. M, K, and R, but no N. There’s an interesting line on her Find A Grave about her being the grandchild of a school superintendent

She’s listed in the 1950 census under her mother’s 1st husband’s surname (I’ve not found a record of a marriage to an Oliver).

Her mother’s 3rd husband’s 1974 obituary lists Mrs. Linda S Childers as surviving him and living in New York City.

Her mother’s initials are I.L.H., but I can not find where she’s ever been I.L.N.. M, K, and R, but no N. There’s an interesting line on her Find A Grave about her being the grandchild of a school superintendent
Her mother's obituary lists Linda as deceased.

It would be her grandmother not her mother right?

Some of us would have likely posted this info weeks ago. I assumed it was too personal to share since she has living relatives and they haven't shared much of anything with news agencies, etc. 'Guess it's good to at least know this now... but how much can we post? Marriage info, birth and death and divorce info, criminal info... is that allowed?

jmo

Could it be that the mother was named after a family member who may have had the last initial N or M? Ring passed down through a generation or two and given to Linda or taken by her?

Could it be that the mother was named after a family member who may have had the last initial N or M? Ring passed down through a generation or two and given to Linda or taken by her?
Ring could have been a red herring. Her mother and grandmother's ages don't match up. Ring could have been given to her from Carmichael. He stole from banks and safety deposits. Everyone was focused on the ring when she was an UID, because they were hoping it would identify her. Now she's identified.

The curiosity is: When, How and Why did she leave Louisville? And how did she become connected to Carmichael? How did this young woman end up in this situation?

I doubt we will find anything....Traveling people don't leave much in the way of records...

An old post of yours thought her killers had ties to KY.

Post in thread 'CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers' Identified! - CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

And this post:
Post in thread 'CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers' Identified! - CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

I'm on my phone and can't figure out the details.

Northern KY has a very long history as a center for organized crime. Newport and Covington, KY were historically popular for gambling, bootlegging and more serious criminal activity, going back to the late 1800's. Many famous criminals did business there.

ETA: I hope I didn't give the impression everyone in N KY is part of the criminal element. There probably isn't as much crime these days, with so many vices having been legalized. Back in the 70's, parts of NKY were probably still havens for OC folks to hang out.

Organized crime continued through the 1960's, 70's, 80's. Illegal gambling, drugs, bank robberies, etc. At different times, northern KY was a stop off place for organized crime because local LE were "friendly" to the crime bosses.

Linda may have taken up with a bank robber because that was part of the culture, the local people she was acquainted with. It wouldn't have been unusual.

Last edited:
Prohibition brought lots of organized crime to many states... particularly those on highly traveled river routes (which Covington was at the time). It was happening years later, and it still goes on today, different ways, but still criminal. I think we all realize that.

People find themselves on the wrong side of the law all the time, but I remain curious as to how Linda Sue became involved with this particular criminal organization in New England. I haven't found a definite connection between DeFreitas and Kentucky (other than the one I previously posted). Maybe they all just connected through a friend of a friend of a friend, etc?

It seems Linda Sue (for whatever reasons) lost her way in life. She paid a high price as a murder victim... with no known family nearby. Although her murderers were tried and convicted, I believe we may never know the full story. Thanks to research she has her name for which I'm ever so grateful. Yes, I think several of us still want to know all the hows and whys because we still truly care about an unknown gal we "knew" for 10 years. However, I suppose those details may never be answered unless her family decides (if ever) to provide them.

jmo

Northern KY has a very long history as a center for organized crime. Newport and Covington, KY were historically popular for gambling, bootlegging and more serious criminal activity, going back to the late 1800's. Many famous criminals did business there.

ETA: I hope I didn't give the impression everyone in N KY is part of the criminal element. There probably isn't as much crime these days, with so many vices having been legalized. Back in the 70's, parts of NKY were probably still havens for OC folks to hang out.

Organized crime continued through the 1960's, 70's, 80's. Illegal gambling, drugs, bank robberies, etc. At different times, northern KY was a stop off place for organized crime because local LE were "friendly" to the crime bosses.

Linda may have taken up with a bank robber because that was part of the culture, the local people she was acquainted with. It wouldn't have been unusual.
I feel if she became involved with "real crime" in Kentucky this would have come out.

(I'm not talking about rebelling, which many young people fall into). The odds are she lost her way, rebelled or whatever and things fell apart from there.

When she was an UID, her story was very compelling, because it was soooo mysterious. I don't have any reason to believe she was involved in organized crime or anything "exotic" while she was living in Kentucky.

Prohibition brought lots of organized crime to many states... particularly those on highly traveled river routes (which Covington was at the time). It was happening years later, and it still goes on today, different ways, but still criminal. I think we all realize that.

People find themselves on the wrong side of the law all the time, but I remain curious as to how Linda Sue became involved with this particular criminal organization in New England. I haven't found a definite connection between DeFreitas and Kentucky (other than the one I previously posted). Maybe they all just connected through a friend of a friend of a friend, etc?

It seems Linda Sue (for whatever reasons) lost her way in life. She paid a high price as a murder victim... with no known family nearby. Although her murderers were tried and convicted, I believe we may never know the full story. Thanks to research she has her name for which I'm ever so grateful. Yes, I think several of us still want to know all the hows and whys because we still truly care about an unknown gal we "knew" for 10 years. However, I suppose those details may never be answered unless her family decides (if ever) to provide them.

jmo
The thing that I still find puzzling is the timeline. Carmichael was in jail until very shortly before her murder and had been in and out of jail for years and years. How did she ever come to meet him, between his days on the lam and his days in jail?

jmo
I’m sorry I wasn’t clear. My suggestion wasn’t that she got involved in a life of crime while in KY, but that she may havefallen for someone there who was “shady” and followed him to the east coast. It seems a little unlikely that a recently divorced, working class young woman would pick up and move to New York City, especially in the late 60s or early 70s.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JJ81
Back