Identified! CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

Last edited:
So she was born in Louisville Kentucky in 1946. The class ring says JNHS or JNSH. She would have been in high school more or less in the 1960s.
So what high school / boarding school/ whatever else was open, in Louisville (presumably) in the 1960s with the initials JNHS?

Edit: There's Jeffersontown High School, that could theoretically be JNHS?

Last edited:
So she was born in Louisville Kentucky in 1946. The class ring says JNHS or JNSH. She would have been in high school more or less in the 1960s.
So what high school / boarding school/ whatever else was open, in Louisville (presumably) in the 1960s with the initials JNHS?

The one vexing problem with the ring is the date, 1917. It looks like a ring from that period, and not from much later when Linda would've graduated high school, so either it's a family heirloom, bought at a thrift shop or yard sale, or stolen. "ILN" was probably the initials of the original bearer.
I know this may have all been brought up before, but it's worth repeating here.
MOO

Then, in July 2022, samples were sent to forensic and genetic genealogy company Othram, where DNA from her remains was added to a database. The case was reopened, and in January of this year, the victim’s sister was identified.

Through her sister, investigators learned Childers had a daughter, who provided a DNA sample. That led to confirming the identity of the remains.

The suspects involved in the double homicide were arrested shortly after the murders, and both were convicted of the crimes. They are now deceased, police said.

Article says she was a fugitive.

She would have graduated in 1964 and she appears quite young in her pic. I still wonder what the story is .
This one had so many twists and turns. I wonder if the nightclub in NJ was a connection or just some random info provided by an informant?
She was part of Carmichael's most recent bank heist, so I wonder if she was a fugitive because of that and the writing was just a little imprecise, or if she was already a fugitive when she left TN, or something in between. I haven't been able to find any articles about a wanted fugitive with her name, or any of the probable maiden names that I've been able to find. If anyone has had success with that, I'd really be interested in understanding more of her story, since I've been invested in it for over a decade :)

WOW!! Thank you... thank you... thank you @othram !!!!!

She was originally from the city where I live! She actually had ties to Ky.

An old post of yours thought her killers had ties to KY.

Post in thread 'CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers' Identified! - CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

And this post:
Post in thread 'CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers' Identified! - CT - Stonington (Ledyard), WhtFem UP8909, 18-30, JNHS 1917 Class Ring, Lady Clairol hair roller set, May'74 - Linda Sue Childers

I'm on my phone and can't figure out the details.

Last edited:

Article says she was a fugitive.

She would have graduated in 1964 and she appears quite young in her pic. I still wonder what the story is .
This one had so many twists and turns. I wonder if the nightclub in NJ was a connection or just some random info provided by an informant?

Heck, we're all semi-fugitives here in Ky ;)

I don't know what her life story might have been but I am glad many cared to share and sleuth this interesting case.

I am working my way through the old posts. Now that we know the outcome, there were tiny hints. But there were also a lot of red herrings. One super-interesting thing that Fred&Edna dug up years ago, from one of the newspaper articles, was that one of Linda's final phone calls was to either KY or TN, and that information was not in the phone records, so it probably came from one of the people in her circle in CT.

I am working my way through the old posts. Now that we know the outcome, there were tiny hints. But there were also a lot of red herrings. One super-interesting thing that Fred&Edna dug up years ago, from one of the newspaper articles, was that one of Linda's final phone calls was to either KY or TN, and that information was not in the phone records, so it probably came from one of the people in her circle in CT.
I tried finding her in genealogy sites and I can't. I wanted to see if she was related to anyone with the initials ILN. (From the ring)
I guess Childers might be a married name. I thought I found her, but it turned out the particular Linda Childers, I found from KY is still alive.

How did Linda get into crime? Big question, i hope we will get some answers in the future.
I am very pleased that Linda has her name back. I have to say, there has been a lot of speculation and wondering on this thread in the past but hardly any comments now Linda Sue Childers' identity is known. It would be really great if someone could fill in the blanks for her life a little but of course, the family's privacy must be respected. She doesn't appear to be on the genealogy sites which makes me think Childers must be a married name.

I am very pleased that Linda has her name back. I have to say, there has been a lot of speculation and wondering on this thread in the past but hardly any comments now Linda Sue Childers' identity is known. It would be really great if someone could fill in the blanks for her life a little but of course, the family's privacy must be respected. She doesn't appear to be on the genealogy sites which makes me think Childers must be a married name.
I'm really curious about how she went from being a young mother in KY, to living in NYC, to connecting with Carmichael in New Jersey/New York (or was it earlier? Fred&Edna turned up KY ties for Defrietas a long time ago).

The movie Bonnie and Clyde came out just a couple years before these events took place, and if anyone could make robbing banks look romantic and exciting, it would be Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. My supposition is that she fell head over heels in love with Carmichael and didn't really understand how violent and dangerous he and his 'friends' were.

I'm sure that there has been a lot to process for her remaining family members. I hope that having answers has brought them some measure of comfort; especially knowing that she didn't willingly stop contacting them.

I'm really curious about how she went from being a young mother in KY, to living in NYC, to connecting with Carmichael in New Jersey. The movie Bonnie and Clyde came out just a couple years before these events took place, and if anyone could make robbing banks look romantic and exciting, it would be Warren Beatty and Faye Dunaway. My supposition is that she fell head over heels in love with Carmichael and didn't really understand how violent and dangerous he and his 'friends' were.

I'm sure that there has been a lot to process for her remaining family members. I hope that having answers has brought them some measure of comfort; especially knowing that she didn't willingly stop contacting them.
Absolutely agree, Skigirl. I am just also very curious of the story of Linda - if it wasn't real, you would think it was the storyline of a film. But these are real people and a family that is coping with all that they now know and that is very important for us to understand. I guess we all spend a lot of time trying to join the dots that we can't stop sometimes! Othram really do great work - at least the family have some sort of closure now.

The one vexing problem with the ring is the date, 1917. It looks like a ring from that period, and not from much later when Linda would've graduated high school, so either it's a family heirloom, bought at a thrift shop or yard sale, or stolen. "ILN" was probably the initials of the original bearer.
I know this may have all been brought up before, but it's worth repeating here.
MOO

It is very possible that they also were committing smaller crimes, like burglary. Could be plunder from someones home.

It is very possible that they also were committing smaller crimes, like burglary. Could be plunder from someones home.

According to this article, Carmichael was part of an organized crime ring with DeFreitas who apparently split up their heists among themselves. Possibly the ring was from a robbery, whether burglary or bank/safety deposit box robbery. He could have given it to her or she could have picked it. CRIME HUNTER: Bitter blood and enduring mystery

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vymocycy
Back