FL FL - “Maritime John Doe", Wht, 65-75, maritime tattoo, Atlantic Ocean, Sep'03 - Donald H. Kirk

I went ahead submitted Melvin to be reviewed as a potential match for Maritime John Doe. I realize it’s quite a long shot but maybe, just maybe.
It was a great find! Cross-posted on Melvin's thread .

His cause of death is unknown, so apparently it wasn't drowning? Or at least they couldn't prove it? I can't find any reference to DNA on him although you would think there would be as he was found in 2003. It doesn't say there are finger prints either but I don't know if he would have been too decomposed to take usable finger prints. It seems like he was. I wonder if they tried to run toxicology tests on him or if he had been in the water too long for that, I suppose that was the case. He may have been murdered since that one link says his death is being investigated as one. Why, would be an obvious question unless it occurred as someone mentioned earlier in connection with him being robbed or something. Or maybe he was involved in dubious business dealings or the more sophisticated type of crime. At his age and with his apparent health it seems more likely his death would be some type of accident. He obviously knew his way around water based on the tattoo, but as he got older and more frail may have over estimated his ability to still do things like boating or fishing, etc. It sure would be interesting to know the story behind this mystery.

I sent a message to Palm Beach Sheriff's office to see if Thomas Hazen from NJ has been ruled out. He's a little younger but he looks similar. No info on a tattoo for Thomas.

Thomas went missing Feb 2003 from NJ and his mini van was sold in Florida in April 2003.
Thomas E. Hazen – The Charley Project

I found a news clipping from 1959 that talks about a Thomas E Hazen in Bridgewater who is in the Air Force. He could have switched to USN later I suppose.

The_Central_New_Jersey_Home_News_1959_01_12_page_5.jpg

Last edited:
A detective got back to me. He didn't say that this missing person was specifically ruled out but he said that they have not had any DNA matches for this John Doe and that the John Doe is on the list to get forensic genealogy done.

I've done some research on this case [Maritime John Doe].
Possible origin of tattoo, possible match of the UID's face.
|
|
|
|
I figure there's a fair probability this man's name can be
discovered. Requires sending from about 20 to 60 emails
to known names.
Content of email is a picture & request if the recipient
recognizes one unknown person in the picture. Also, if
recipient recognizes the tattoo or is aware of who had
that tattoo {Maritime John Doe's tattoo}. At least 2 of
the email recipients will be people in the picture. All
email recipients are potential shipmates of the UID.
I don't think it needs to be specifically stated that this
is an enquiry about a UID.
I can provide the names and the email addresses, but
unfortunately some of the emails addresses are old
(sbcglobal.net, bellsouth.net, etc.. Therefore, an e.g.
BeenVerified or similar account would be an advantage,
to discover current email addresses).
I don't want to bother (FL) police about this, unless an
name (identity) can be discovered. I figure from the
emails sent, hopefully at least two replies that contain
a matching (potential identity) name may be received.
(e.g. @apearn ?)
---------------------------

Attachments

• 2nd-1.jpg
    2nd-1.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
'Jul 8, 2022
On September 7th, 2003, a fisherman found a body floating 5 miles east of the Boynton Inlet and 3 miles north. Almost twenty years later, this Maritime John Doe remains nameless. All we need is a lead to find out who he is and seek justice for his death'

The sheriff's office said that investigators looked into Kirk's background and discovered that he traveled to Fort Lauderdale in 2003 where he boarded a gambling boat. Investigators say sometime during the gambling cruise, Kirk tragically decided to end his life by jumping overboard.

Wonder why it took so long to connect a UID body with a man overboard on a cruise in the same month. Boynton Inlet is only about 30 miles north of Fort Lauderdale. Did the gambling boat not report him missing initially? I do realize they're in 2 different counties, but even so....

The possibility of suicide in this case hadn't crossed my mind, perhaps because it wasn't ever mentioned as a possibility while he was unidentified, maybe because he was elderly, so it seemed like accidental death or even homicide were more likely. The estimate about his body possibly drifting north from Broward County turned out to be accurate.

Wonder why it took so long to connect a UID body with a man overboard on a cruise in the same month. Boynton Inlet is only about 30 miles north of Fort Lauderdale. Did the gambling boat not report him missing initially? I do realize they're in 2 different counties, but even so....
Maybe Fort Lauderdale police thought that Donald actually disappeared on the day he was reported missing and thus couldn't be Maritime John Doe. jmo

Yes the gambling boat reported Donald missing 8 days after he was found. I can't find a missing person report of him anywhere though.

From in immediately previous post, Ifindedout asked
"Wonder why it took so long to connect a UID body
with a man overboard on a cruise in the same month"?

Yes, from the previously cited media report:
it's known that Donald H. Kirk "had been reported
missing to the Fort Lauderdale Police Department
on September 15, 2003." Given that the
circumstances of his disappearance were recorded,
that he was missing from a gambling boat, it is
reasonable to take the view that if his missing
person
case, as soon as practicable, had been
entered into NamUS, this UID case could
probably have been brought to a solution years
earlier
by this cases' investigating authority,
the Palm Beach ME & Palm Beach Sheriff's
Office (even without the use of DNA).
So this case stands as an example of the need
for an all States legislative requirement that
all police forces enter all their UID & longer
term missing persons cases into NamUs.

As far as regards Donald H. Kirk's case specifically,
it's a bit interesting that they now know who he
was but at present don't seem to know all his
background (and still can't figure out e.g. all
the derivation of his tattoo).

As said in that article video that HmmMysterious
previously cited;
the tattoo, as seen here;
FL - FL - “Maritime John Doe", Wht, 65-75, maritime tattoo, Atlantic Ocean, Sep'03 - Donald H. Kirk
RAlwI0d.jpg
is assumed (IMO correctly) to contain a
representation of anchors at the bottom and
above that a stylized eagle with wings spread,
the eagle as may be seen e.g. here:

What's above that appears to be, IMO, a picture
of a type of animal, a fish or a seal, (or possibly a
composite picture of two sealife items, perhaps
meant to be a unique tattoo representing the
individuals service in not one but several navy units).
Initially I thought the black jagged part of it was
a representation of a bat, but now I think it could
just as likely be meant to be a representation of
just the dorsal fin of some type of fish. (Of course,
above whatever that is, are the letters 'U.S.N.').

A lot of U.S. submarines during WW2 were named
after sea animals and although most of them were
laid up during the late 40's, it occurred that during
the 1950's, into the 60's and 70's a slew of those
diesel-electric submarines were put back into use
as e.g. training boats, of navy personnel and of
navy tactics (e.g. so destroyers could practice
detection of subs) and other uses.

As an example, here is a webpage of the WW2
Sub USS Batfish, which is currently parked close
by Muskogee, Oklahoma, and which was
brought back into commission in the 1950's;
Note the unobscured face of an individual in the
centre of the picture, who bears a resemblance
to the UID now known to be named Donald H. Kirk.
Although that name does not appear in the crew
lists of that submarine, there is some possibility
that he was a part of the crew of some other
transiting submarine or of that base at that time,
being Guantanamo Bay NAS.

Possibilities as to what sea animal(s) (and therefore
what same-named naval ships or boats) the tattoo
represents, if a submarine, are the USS Batfish,
Cavalla, Pompanito, Spikefish, Redfin, Sirago,
Sea Poacher, Seal, Sea Lion, Sea Leopard, Sablefish,
and others unknown.
Cheers

Last edited:
Fantastic that this man has been identified. It is puzzling that the connection wasn't made sooner although the possibility that it was thought that he went missing on the day he was reported to authorities does make sense...I guess.
I wonder what makes authorities so sure that he committed suicide though. Couldn't it have been accidental? Couldn't it (unlikely, but still) have been foul play?
Maybe it was known that he was despondent leading up to going missing or something like that.
In any event, R.I.P. sir.

His wife appears to have also passed in 2003 so that may have influenced his decision. They were married since 1947 I think it said.
I've only looked into it a little bit but NOAA seems to have been activated as part of the war effort during WW2. Perhaps he had other service as well but this was all I've seen so far.
Untitled.png

His wife appears to have also passed in 2003 so that may have influenced his decision. They were married since 1947 I think it said.
I've only looked into it a little bit but NOAA seems to have been activated as part of the war effort during WW2. Perhaps he had other service as well but this was all I've seen so far.
View attachment 466984
How long has that death record existed?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dallasgrl