FL FL - Amy Billig, 17, Coconut Grove, 5 March 1974

I couldn't find any information about her, only this article:

Mother's death ends quest to find child

For more than 30 years, Susan Billig looked for her daughter, Amy. On Tuesday, the Coconut Grove woman passed away, never having found her.

Susan Billig died without ever finding her daughter.

The Coconut Grove woman -- whose 31-year quest to find her missing teenage daughter took her from drug dens to prisons across the country and even across the Atlantic -- died Tuesday of complications from a heart attack. She was 80.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/11839787.htm

login- news@moped2.org
pass- news4u

lisag said:
This poor women had one hell of a rough life, not knwoing what had happened to her daughter. At least she has the answers now.
did you also read about that guy stalking her with "tips" of where her daughter was??

I don't remember where i saw it at

GinaAngel435 said:
Oh my, that was such a sad story. A mother who never gave up hope... even after so long. She can do in death what she couldn't do in life; find her daughter & hold her again.

I can't read these stories at work, they make me cry! :(
A parent's love is never ending and unconditional.

How sad that both father and mother died without having answers about their beloved daughter during this life.

My prayers are for the remaining family members and loved ones. I know that those in heaven are rejoicing and are no longer in need of prayer.

After all this time, I wonder if Susan and Ned Billig are having a wonderful reunion with daughter Amy in heaven.

CaliKid said:
After all this time, I wonder if Susan and Ned Billig are having a wonderful reunion with daughter Amy in heaven.

I like to think so CaliKid. I remember this story from years ago now that I read this thread. Thanks Timex, for alerting me to this thread.

Looks good except the jane doe was located in 1990. It does not say the time frame in which the murder took place. Based on what was decribed on the doenetwork it seems that the jane doe may not have been dead very long before she was discovered.

The young lady's name is Amy Billig, not Amy Billings. If you're looking for more information about her, her mother wrote a very interesting book titled:Without A Trace: The Dissappearance of Amy Billig--A Mother's Search For Justice, by Susan Billig with Greg Aunapu.
To summarize, Amy dissappeared during the time that two bicycle gangs, the Pagans and the Outlaws, were passing through her town of Coconut Grove, FL. She was known to hitchhike in her hometown, and it seems possible that she could have been picked up (or taken against her will) by one of the bikers. Amy's mother recieved calls from numerous bikers and "biker babes" claiming that Amy had been drugged and kidnapped and was traveling with one of the biker gangs. Each time she traveled to the location of a supposed sighting, her daughter had supposedly already been moved. At one point, long brown hairs were found in a hairbrush that was left at an abandoned biker den; professional analysis showed that it was "consistent" with hairs found in Amy's brush from home.
Sue Billig was eventually contacted by a biker named Paul Branch. He claimed that he had once owned Amy and wanted to get her back. What followed was a saga that took Mrs. Billig around the country for several years, following Branch. He would always claim to know her daughter's whereabouts, but as soon as Mrs. Billig reached the town where Amy was supposed to be held, Branch would "flake out" or get into legal troubles and dissappear. Eventually the Billigs lost contact with Branch entirely.
Mrs. Billig spent thousands of dollars and over 15 years of her life traveling around the United States and even England in search of her daughter. The Billigs were also victims of several extortion hoaxes by various individuals.
Finally, in the mid-90s, a private detective found Paul Branch. He was dying of skin cancer. After his death, Mrs. Billig was called by Branch's widow, who claimed that Branch had made a deathbed confession. In front of cameras for some A&E crime show (can't remember which), the widow told Sue that Amy had died of an overdose at a biker party the day after she dissappeared. The bikers had cut her body up and thrown her to the alligators in the Everglades (this was actually a common biker practice at the time). In front of the cameras, Mrs. Billig accepted this as the truth. Later it was suggested that the widow had made up the story for her own financial benefit.
One other final detail was that Mrs. Billig had been recieiving phone calls from 1974-1995 from a caller claiming that he was holding Amy as a sex slave. The caller was finally apprehended by LE in 1995 and identified as Henry Johnson Blair, a US customs worker. Although he was never proved to have any involvement with Amy's dissappearance, Amy did write about a man named Hank (Blair's nickname) in her journal. She mentioned that 'Hank' had asked her to run away to South America with him. Henry Johnson Blair was moved to South America by his job around 1974. LE has not proven any connection between Blair and the Amy Billig dissappearance to date.

Sorry for the long post, but this case is really interesting to me. Does anyone (Richard, perhaps) have any more info on this case other than what is available in the book? Any theories? This is one of the most interesting missing cases that I've ever heard of, and I'm surprised it hasn't received more discussion on the WS boards.

are any of the biker dudes alive is there anyone else that knows what happen and is not speaking, did they have any solid leads in her case, is her father alive or did he pass on? what about her brother anything on him? does he have a webpage on her

azure said:
The young lady's name is Amy Billig, not Amy Billings. If you're looking for more information about her, her mother wrote a very interesting book titled:Without A Trace: The Dissappearance of Amy Billig--A Mother's Search For Justice, by Susan Billig with Greg Aunapu. ...

Sorry for the long post, but this case is really interesting to me. Does anyone (Richard, perhaps) have any more info on this case other than what is available in the book? Any theories? This is one of the most interesting missing cases that I've ever heard of, and I'm surprised it hasn't received more discussion on the WS boards.
You write an excellent summary of the case. For more information on this case, check also two threads on the "Missing but not Forgotten" forum on Amy and her mother. Also, the Cold Case forum has a thread titled: The Lady in the Dunes 1974 unidentified woman, which discusses a case of that same time frame and how it compares to Amy's case.

I first learned of Amy Billig's disappearance and her parents search for her in a book titled "Reward", by Paulette Cooper and Paul Noble, published in 1994. It contained references to the biker angle as pursued by Amy's mother, Susan Billig.

Another book, now out of print, is one titled "The Corpse had a Familiar Face", by Edna Buchanan. It tells the story of Susan Billig's ordeal and search.

Another thread on Amy Billig has been started in the Cold Cases section of the WS forum.

smile22 said:
are any of the biker dudes alive is there anyone else that knows what happen and is not speaking, did they have any solid leads in her case, is her father alive or did he pass on? what about her brother anything on him? does he have a webpage on her
Father died of lung cancer in the 90's.

what about her siblings i know she has a brother but is that all she has?

Birmingham Native said:
Susan Billing died in 2005. She knows now what happened to Amy.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/billig_amy.html

I knew this sweet lady, as we met many times over the years looking for our girls. She was a courageous and determined lady. She stood up to bikers and G-men. She stood up to misguided reporters and well meaning neighbors. And did it all with the grace of a true lady. She was my rock for many many years.
I will miss this dear sweet lady and I can only hope that there are some answers for her now. Hopefully they are sweet ones. She has been an inspiration for many people missing loved ones. She will be sorely missed.
Just wanted you all to know we lost a great crusader that day.

That is just the saddest story. After all of those years she never gave up hope. I know that she is with Amy now and is at peace. What a wonderful son she raised to be so understanding of his mother's need to find Amy.

I really wish that Amy would have been found alive and while her mom and dad were both living though. That biker wife just might have been telling the truth. You never know.

Before Martha Moxley's killer was caught and sentenced I was so afraid the same thing would happen to Mrs. Moxley. Her husband passed away before the killer was arrested. I was so glad when they finally arrested Michael what's his name. Mrs. Moxley always knew who murdered Martha but couldn't prove it. She's up in years too. I'm glad that she too has found peace.

This is just the saddest story that it brings tears to my eyes. God rest the souls of Amy's mother and father and let them have peace.

Trino said:
This is just the saddest story that it brings tears to my eyes. God rest the souls of Amy's mother and father and let them have peace.[/QUOTE There is no peace only questions that don't have an answer.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back