FL FL - Amy Billig, 17, Coconut Grove, 5 March 1974

I was googling "Susan Billig" in a bout of nostalgia and curiosity and came upon a few matches on this website. I'm Josh Billig's daughter (making me also Amy's niece and Sue's granddaughter.) I was so stricken by the care and concern of strangers that I had to respond. I'd just like to thank you for your support for the case, even after 30 years. Grandma, in her usual fashion, never gave up, even to the very end. She would love this site. People helping people, eh? Keep it up.
And don't be too affected by that article, they went slightly overboard.

Welcome Fiji sooo glad you found us.

I remember when I lived in Miami hearing of this case.
I am so sorry for the loss of your grandmother but what an inspiration she was to many families who have suffered the same type of loss.

Fiji said:
I was googling "Susan Billig" in a bout of nostalgia and curiosity and came upon a few matches on this website. I'm Josh Billig's daughter (making me also Amy's niece and Sue's granddaughter.) I was so stricken by the care and concern of strangers that I had to respond. I'd just like to thank you for your support for the case, even after 30 years. Grandma, in her usual fashion, never gave up, even to the very end. She would love this site. People helping people, eh? Keep it up.
And don't be too affected by that article, they went slightly overboard.

Dear Fiji, I met your grandmother many years ago in Miami, as I was searching for my Jean Marie and she was searching for her dear Amy. She was a true crusader and a role model for me. I wept at her passing and lit candles for her. I truly hope she has found the answers that have eluded us for so long. Peace to your family.

After reading the whole book it appears that The Outlaws had nothing to do with her disappearance. Possibly she was with Pagans but there is no evidence that she was with them against her will. Each time Mrs Billig got close and thought she found her, the girl in question (if indeed was actually Amy) was not being held against her will. The information seemed to be that She didnt know who she was. You know guys, this was the seventies. Hanging out with Bikers was a pretty cool thing for a free spirit, hippie type, curious teenager. Drugs, sex, parties was the best fun ever! Kids never thought that they would come to harm. Parents were usually the last to know their kids were involved in that type of "fun" cause they were generally pretty much clueless back then. No one presented commercials for parents about "this is your brain on drugs" so they knew to be looking. Girls wore roach clips in their hair and the parents mostly thought they were just pretty decorative feathers! Amy was the exact perfect type to be thinking that the bikers would be a great group to hang out with. Idealistic, open minded and a TEEN.
(and Yes I talk from experience.. same age and time as Amy)

The President of the Outlaws was discussed in the book as being very helpful to Mrs. Billig in determining if Amy was part of the Outlaw community in the area. Back then also we didnt have free long distance, and internet access and what we knew was pretty much what was local unless it was major. Word of mouth information was not easy to track down. Unless you were wealthy enough to travel, news traveled slow. So if she left the area tracking her down wouldnt have been that easy.

Maybe if Police had taken fingerprints right away, by now there could have been a comparison somewhere. I agree with Meg on that one completely. They botched that one big time. But if Amy is still alive and well, DNA being on record could potentially match someday. I would hope they have DNA to be used at some point. The thing is that so many kids were running away to join bikers, carnivals, music groups, become models, religious cults etc., and most turned up rather soon. Police really didnt take teenage girls missing seriously and in most cases they were right.

I know one thing I do not belive for one second the supposed death bed confession by Paul, that Amy died the same day and was fed to the gators. He went all over helping Susan find Amy and she didnt pay him anything more than a few expenses here and there. I dont think he would have done any of that had he known Amy was dead. He contacted Susan not the other way around. If he knew she was dead he would not have stirred up the pot by calling Amys mother. Maybe he told that to his wife so she woudnt think he held any torch for Amy, or it may have been said out of beliving it was compassionate to let Susan think she had closure but I do not believe she was dead that day.

Anne

meggilyweggily said:
The Outlaws and/or the Pagans.

is there a book out on this case? i havent heard of one, i need to read it if there is...

Jim Dolan who was President of the Outlaws is Alive and the Outlaws have a webpage with him on it. His wife recieves his email and forwards it to him.
Accroding to the book he helped Susan Billig determine if Amy was with the outlaws.

smile22 said:
are any of the biker dudes alive is there anyone else that knows what happen and is not speaking, did they have any solid leads in her case, is her father alive or did he pass on? what about her brother anything on him? does he have a webpage on her

That gator bit being common isnt a proven fact...

azure said:
He was dying of skin cancer. After his death, Mrs. Billig was called by Branch's widow, who claimed that Branch had made a deathbed confession. In front of cameras for some A&E crime show (can't remember which), the widow told Sue that Amy had died of an overdose at a biker party the day after she dissappeared. The bikers had cut her body up and thrown her to the alligators in the Everglades (this was actually a common biker practice at the time). In front of the cameras, Mrs. Billig accepted this as the truth. Later it was suggested that the widow had made up the story for her own financial benefit.
Sorry for the long post, but this case is really interesting to me. Does anyone (Richard, perhaps) have any more info on this case other than what is available in the book? Any theories? This is one of the most interesting missing cases that I've ever heard of, and I'm surprised it hasn't received more discussion on the WS boards.

And of course back then young girls never thought anything bad was going to happen. Teens were trusting and inquisitive, never realizing they were putting themselves in so much danger. Kids now a days still manage to put themselves in bad situations but there is a lot of information everywhere about how dangerous certain situations are. In the seventies we thought it was all love and peace and fun.

monkalup said:
I I cannot speak to what the police did, but there was publicity in this case and there was a lot of local interest generated. I have always been haunted by the case, especially with feelings of how easily bad things happened to sweet young girls.
Of course, six years later, Jean Marie Stewart was abducted and the nightmare came even closer to home...

Is that photo available anywhere??? Never know if someone would recognize the building and where it was...

Richard said:
When the film inside her camera was developed, one of the photos showed a vine covered building with a white brick house in the background. The vine was not native to Florida and the building was not familiar to Billig family.

thanks for the book info guys, I am going to order it....

Henry Blair Johnson, in 1995 after he used a cellular phone to call Susan. Johnson claimed he did not know Billig or anything about her disappearance; he maintained that he was an alcoholic and had an obsessive-compulsive disorder, both of which helped in his 21-year-long harassment of Billig's mother.
A strange sideline to the story emerged after Blair was incarcinated; he was known by the nickname "Hank." Billig referred to a man in Blair's age range in her diary as "Hank" and claimed she was thinking of running off to South America with him prior to his disappearance. As it turns out, Blair's job with the US Customs Department involved a relocation to South America in the time specified by Billig in her journal. He also drove a van which matched the color and make of an identical vehicle found in photos taken by Billig, which were developed sometime after her disappearance. Blair has not been proven to have been involved with Billig and was released from prison after serving a two-year sentence for harassment in 1997.

This is the part of the Amy Billig story that really peaked my interest. I wonder if LE was so convinced that bikers were involved that they didnt give this guy a thorough look over. A lot of girls looked like Amy did back in those times. It is very possible that the "amy sightings" were just a girl that looked very much like her. This South America thing combined with Hank and the vehicle seem like more serious leads to me then just automatically thinking because bikers happened to be there at the time it was them. I just wonder how much they really looked into this Customs agent..

Anne

i went to the bookstore to read some magazines on a whim i checked out the true crime section and without a trace was on the shelves i had to buy it. finished it last nite. with tears in my eyes. the story with so many twist and turns leaves you wondering which of it was truth and which was fake. i think the sightings were real the ones from that women in florida with the shop and stuff. i think the other ones like in seattle were fake. i cant belive after all these years no solid leads ( correct me if anything new has surrfaced) the mom just recently died i belive a few months ago. father died years before. so sad. reading the book and susan talking about all the calls from strangers saying things. every thing that the bikers told her branch and his gang, the pagans and outlaws. anyone interested in working on her case let me know

smile22 said:
i went to the bookstore to read some magazines on a whim i checked out the true crime section and without a trace was on the shelves i had to buy it. finished it last nite. with tears in my eyes. the story with so many twist and turns leaves you wondering which of it was truth and which was fake. i think the sightings were real the ones from that women in florida with the shop and stuff. i think the other ones like in seattle were fake. i cant belive after all these years no solid leads ( correct me if anything new has surrfaced) the mom just recently died i belive a few months ago. father died years before. so sad. reading the book and susan talking about all the calls from strangers saying things. every thing that the bikers told her branch and his gang, the pagans and outlaws. anyone interested in working on her case let me know
i still havent gotten the book yet, i am going to though when my school slows down. If i get a book too interesting i wont do my studies.....

i remember reading about this and also reading something about biker gangs and florida. i came across this jane doe looking for something else, and noticed, although it can't be amy billig, what is interesting is the guy who they think killed this jane doe. he was in florida and was in a biker gang, and has been already charged with murder.

the link i found is Case File 67UFFL

the guy linked to her is http://www.upress.umn.edu/Mello/Spazianotimeline.html

the counties aren't close close, and he apparently killed another girl in february. but who knows?

Hi

Henry Blair Johnson, in 1995 after he used a cellular phone to call Susan. Johnson claimed he did not know Billig or anything about her disappearance; he maintained that he was an alcoholic and had an obsessive-compulsive disorder, both of which helped in his 21-year-long harassment of Billig's mother.
A strange sideline to the story emerged after Blair was incarcinated; he was known by the nickname "Hank." Billig referred to a man in Blair's age range in her diary as "Hank" and claimed she was thinking of running off to South America with him prior to his disappearance. As it turns out, Blair's job with the US Customs Department involved a relocation to South America in the time specified by Billig in her journal. He also drove a van which matched the color and make of an identical vehicle found in photos taken by Billig, which were developed sometime after her disappearance. Blair has not been proven to have been involved with Billig and was released from prison after serving a two-year sentence for harassment in 1997.

hi

May I please ask what anyone knows of this Henry Blair Johnson?Was he involved in white slavery and around in the florida area in 1983?

suzanne

suzannec4444 said:
hi

May I please ask what anyone knows of this Henry Blair Johnson?Was he involved in white slavery and around in the florida area in 1983?

suzanne
There are a couple of paragraphs about Henry Blair Johnson on Amy's Charley Project page. There is also a picture of him. That's the only info I could find.

http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/b/billig_amy.html

Bumping for Amy. I first heard her story on an episode of Unsolved Mysteries, when I was about ten years old. I also have read her mothers book, more than once. For all the effort she put into finding her daughter, I really wished there could have been a conclusion.

I've always felt that Amy was most likely taken by one of the biker gangs that day. Paul Branch seemed to know quite a bit about her, and I don't really see any reason he would have had to lead Amy's mom on such a wild goose chase. Yes, he did get some financial aid from her, but it certainly wasn't a huge amount. I suppose it could have all been a case of mistaken identity, but it just doesn't "feel" that way to me.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Soccergirl500
Back