FL - Chad Oulson, 43, killed in Wesley Chapel theater shooting, 13 Jan 2014 *Former LE arrest*

There are some complex issues at play, and because of that, I really want to follow this trial closely. Unfortunately, the defense's opening was bizarre, and I completely tuned out. Then the State started their case with playing videos, which iirc, are quite lacking in clarity. The numerous lengthy side bars were just too much, and I finally gave up watching LIVE.

Given that Chad Oulson was never charged or convicted of battery on an elderly person, I do wonder if that point is moot. I really don't know. I do think that the defense will make that a part of their case, but if it's popcorn vs. gun, it would be very hard to convince me that Reeves was in fear for his life. His actions leading up to that point show differently.

I think anyone that has a tendency to fear for their life would generally mind their own business and not put themselves into situations where a hostile reaction is a real possibility.

If you’re worried about a younger, bigger man overpowering you in a confrontation, kept your mouth shut and yourself to yourself.

The prosecution needs to step up their game. Today was a complete nightmare for them.

I went back to watch Reeves testifying in the Stand Your Ground hearing. Nicole sure did not seem to be forthcoming about things as they went down...the video shown at that hearing clearly showed Oulson coming over the seat and yet she said it did not happen....other things that are clear from that video seem inconsistent. Defense did not seem to go after any of that. The defense opening was awful and yet some commentators said it was great. Pros. attorney is pretty dull and his checking things off drives me crazy.

I went back to watch Reeves testifying in the Stand Your Ground hearing. Nicole sure did not seem to be forthcoming about things as they went down...the video shown at that hearing clearly showed Oulson coming over the seat and yet she said it did not happen....other things that are clear from that video seem inconsistent. Defense did not seem to go after any of that. The defense opening was awful and yet some commentators said it was great. Pros. attorney is pretty dull and his checking things off drives me crazy.

I think most of the evidence will just be unnecessary fluff.

There’s no justification for shooting someone because you didn’t like them using their phone in a cinema, and then didn’t like that they stood up to you.

The defendant sounds like a controlling, narcissist and will surely get what he deserves.

This trial is very hard to watch...every objection by the state and they ask for sidebar and then time for break. Recommend replay where you can skip all of this nonsense. This is going to be a very long trial.

I'm sick of them wrangling over the level of light/darkness in the theater. To me, that video is about as clear as mud. Can't see anything (IMO). Curtis Reeves will go to prison, but I believe he'll be put into an area where he won't be subjected to other prisoners. If he thought he was in fear of his life in the theater that day, he could possibly know what real fear is once he begins serving his sentence. But I do believe that he will be protected from possible harm. (IMO) Still, it won't be pleasant. He chose this.

ETA: This retired teacher on the stand now with white sweater is a good witness for the prosecution. Describes Curtis Reeves as "Grumpy" from Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, as he leaves his seat to go complain to the manager of the theater.

Last edited:
Defense attorney badgering retired school teacher witness as to demeanor of Curtis Reeves. She says he was angry with a frown on his face and muttering. She says because she doesn't know Chad Oulson, she could not determine his demeanor exactly as to whether or not he was angry. He did not appear to be angry because he, unlike Reeves, did not have a frown on his face, and was not mumbling.

Defense trying to discredit her testimony that Reeves was MAD! Hell . . . he always looks mad to me. I bet his wife will be a lot happier without him.

This witness is not easily intimidated and will not be discredited. Defense is very frustrated with her.

I'm listening, but am becoming a bit concerned by the defense attorney seeming to be the one telling the story, and only asking that the witness agree with whatever he is saying. It's all in the defense attorney's words, and therefore I just wouldn't give the witness as much credibility as I would if it was the witness giving answers to questions.

I'm listening, but am becoming a bit concerned by the defense attorney seeming to be the one telling the story, and only asking that the witness agree with whatever he is saying. It's all in the defense attorney's words, and therefore I just wouldn't give the witness as much credibility as I would if it was the witness giving answers to questions.

That's the way cross-examinations work. The attorney doing cross tells the story as they see it getting to witness to (hopefully) agree with them aka leading the witness. The prosecution will do the same when it's the defenses case in chief.

The witness who just testified before the lunch break was Angela Hamilton. Her husband, Corporal (now Sgt.) Alan Hamilton (off-duty sheriff's deputy) disarmed Curtis Reeves after he shot Chad Oulson. She and husband were there in the theater when it occurred. He will be an excellent witness for the prosecution. He provided some damning evidence during Curtis Reeves' bond hearing. I hope they don't exclude that portion of his testimony, but something tells me that it will not be allowed during this trial.

I hope they bring Alan Hamilton on next.

The witness who just testified, Alan Hamilton, was an off-duty Sumpter County Sheriff's Department Corporal . He disarmed Curtis Reeves after he shot Chad Oulson. He provided some damning evidence during Curtis Reeves' bond hearing, which was excluded from this trial. It says much about Curtis Reeves' character.

[Mrs. Reeves to husband, Curtis Reeves]: "'That was no cause to shoot anyone.'"
[Alan Hamilton]: "And then he [Curtis Reeves] leaned back around and stuck his finger out, you know, as to, you know, scold her and said, 'You shut your *advertiser censored***** [expletive deleted] mouth and don't say another word.'"

Here's a link to a portion of Alan Hamilton's testimony from the Bond Hearing (February 5, 2014), that was not allowed in:

http://www.curtisreevestrial.com/files/1155.pdf

Alan Hamilton's testimony that I am referring to can be found by scrolling down the document to Exhibit C - pp. 333-334.

In Reeves' defense, I believe I saw him smile at the jury -- but maybe it was just gas.

The witness who just testified, Alan Hamilton, was an off-duty Sumpter County Sheriff's Department Corporal . He disarmed Curtis Reeves after he shot Chad Oulson. He provided some damning evidence during Curtis Reeves' bond hearing, which was excluded from this trial. It says much about Curtis Reeves' character.

[Mrs. Reeves to husband, Curtis Reeves]: "'That was no cause to shoot anyone.'"
[Alan Hamilton]: "And then he [Curtis Reeves] leaned back around and stuck his finger out, you know, as to, you know, scold her and said, 'You shut your *advertiser censored***** [expletive deleted] mouth and don't say another word.'"

Here's a link to a portion of Alan Hamilton's testimony from the Bond Hearing (February 5, 2014), that was not allowed in:

http://www.curtisreevestrial.com/files/1155.pdf

Alan Hamilton's testimony that I am referring to can be found by scrolling down the document to Exhibit C - pp. 333-334.

In Reeves' defense, I believe I saw him smile at the jury -- but maybe it was just gas.

thank you for that reality check...I did not realize how much is being left out of this. I do get the impression from watching his wife she is scared of him and that is confirmed in that pdf transcript. He is a bully...end of discussion. All day we heard lots of witnesses all with varied memory of the events but bottom line no question he shot Chad Oulson and Nicole...and I think it will be a very hard stretch for this jury to see it as self defense.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
roseashley592
Back