FL FL - DeLand, Male Skeletal UP12776, 18-25, in Garbage Bag, Mar'14

That sketch is so generic. They have DNA but still can't determine race?

The sketch looks Hispanic to me.

Or mixed - maybe that is why they have not determined race. I guess it's better to say nothing than to get it wrong. Like female, no male... :facepalm:

I've read that the majority of people in the US have at least some mixed ancestry. And even then the DNA only tells what the genetic background is, not what group the person identified with.

DeLand John Doe is featured in a new exhibition hosted by The University of South Florida’s Institute of Forensic Anthropology & Applied Science (IFAAS).
New USF Art Exhibit Aims to Help Solve Cold Case Homicides
Exhibition displays consist of clay busts and drawings, digital compositions, artifacts and information about the crime scenes. Kimmerle, USF graduate students and Sgt. Sergio Soto, a forensic artist with IFAAS, created the reconstructions and exhibit. Their work is part of the ongoing statewide cold case initiative by IFAAS, for which the team conducted a number of forensic methods - such as exhuming Jane and John Doe graves for skeletal analysis, facial and clothing reconstructions, chemical isotope testing of the bones, hair and teeth, as well as DNA testing.
Art of Forensics

Case 4: Trash Bag on the Road Side

usf16-022c-ff.jpg

Illustration: Sergio Soto

A jogger past an inconspicuous trash bag and stopped to place it in a nearby bin when a skull fell out. The Volusia County Sheriff’s Office discovered additional remains wrapped inside the comforter within the bag. Initially, authorities believed the remains were an Hispanic individual of unknown sex; however, through the current anthropological analysis the bioprofile changed. The remains come from a 18 to 30-year-old African American male, 5’4” to 5’7” ft. tall. Chemical isotope analysis suggests the victim was local to the Florida region where he was found.

Date of discovery: March 20, 2014

USF16-022C VCSO: 14-7543
ME: 14-07-154 NamUs: UP 12776

Any information that may assist with this case please contact:
Karla Orozco, District 7 Medical Examiner
(ph.) 386- 258-4060 / korozco@volusia.org

This case deserves more attention
Anyhow yesterday I used a face maker website to make a recon of the Doe displaying the correct race (black), based on the NCMEC rendering.
The face shape and the position of his facial features are most likely correct but everything else are assumptions.

Attachments

• volusia14.png
    volusia14.png
    157.7 KB · Views: 20
[QUOTE = "Sleuthster, post: 11182610, miembro: 3480"] Angela Ramsey desapareció de un motel justo en la calle de esta ubicación en 1977. Me pregunto si los moteles podrían haber tenido sábanas de mickey mouse como una decoración tipo Disney. http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/r/ramsey_angela.html

También Cawana Lashay Logan desapareció de su hogar en 2002 en Deland http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/l/logan_cawana.html Podría haber sido sus sábanas o un hermano. [/ QUOTE]

The Doe Network: Cawana Lashay Logan - 3302DFFL
517UFAR

The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Male, 18-25, about 5'5", no distinctive features, dentals and DNA available.

Ruleouts:

Kristine Bruce 1975 Florida
Karen Burger Unknown
Shimulla Parker Unknown

Added to the exclusions:
MP29401 Gregg Haskell 04/21/1985 Martin FL

The description still says he's African American but the race/ethnicity is listed as uncertain.

"Chemical Isotope testing suggests the victim was local to the region where he was found."

Such a strange case.

The two reconstructions look so different - the one where the artist drew him as African-American looks almost like a caricature, with a very long/narrow face and a pointy chin. There must have been no hair remaining with the body since one artist depicted him with dark braids and one straight, light hair. Notably, both artists gave him an asymmetrical nose, so that's something to look out for. The National Missing and Unidentified Persons System (NamUs)

Interesting that he was initially believed to be a child or a woman - I suppose because of his short stature and the pink bathrobe found with the remains. Although, I note the robe was listed as "near the body" not "on the body" and he was "wrapped in" the robe, curtains, and sheets. So the bathrobe may have belonged to the murderer or someone in their household, not necessarily John Doe.

Here is the reconstruction of the bathrobe and the Mickey Mouse sheet he was found wrapped in.

Attachments

• UP12776.jpg
    UP12776.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 7
This case needed a serious bump. Hopefully @othram is looking into this one since they're working on another John Doe found in this same city.

I was wondering why this man's remains could've been sitting in a garbage bag unnoticed for years until I looked up the possible discovery site. A huge clump of trees lined up along the street- it almost resembles a forest.

Screenshot 2024-04-05 190401.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fallon
Back