FL - Derek Rosa, 13, charged as adult in stabbing death of mother Irina Garcia in her sleep, 13 Oct 2023

Exactly. And if he has a bunch of family members telling him he has done NOTHING wrong, fighting for him to come home under just house arrest, what a disservice to the entire community! Pretty sure a look see into his entire cyber history will show more disturbing stuff... moo.

Hoping FL does right by the entire neighborhood and keeps him locked up!!! I worry about that teacher's safety!

What we don’t know, though, but should, is whether his murder was targeting specifically mother, or something else triggered it. He didn’t hurt the baby, his sister. Could he be manipulated into doing it by his “friend” online, or was the friend a random online witness who is now dealing with own stress from the situation? If DR sent the shots to the friend, and the friend didn’t call the police, what does it mean? Or alternatively, did the friend advise him to call the police?

What transpired before? If nothing did, isn’t an evaluation warranted to understand what the heck goes in the head of a teenager who kills own mother? I really would like to know: 1) was the computer his own, or the family one? 2) if his own, what sites did he frequent? 3) did the family use any parental control filters? 4) if yes, did DR bypass them?

Those google searches show it was completely premeditated and not impulsive. They show he definitely intended to kill.

What kind of learning disability could he even have, considering he was doing well in school? It couldn't be anything significant to the case, IMO. Just excuses.

We don’t know anything.
The truth is, if the school missed a LD, it is a serious thing for them. Could they have missed that the kid was a loner, naive, communicated online with a person whose age/gender he was unaware of? Surely. Was mother close to school, attended parent/teacher conferences, or was he a new kid on the block? We don’t know.
I think that a solid neurocognitive evaluation could answer some questions. As it is, I don’t know.
He didn’t know his address. Is it because they just moved, because he is “like that,” at 13, or couldn’t remember? Only a neurocognitive testing could answer, IMHO.

Moo,
All this talk of him "possibly having" a learning disability being a possible rationale for this... what he is seen on video doing..... to me is a disservice to people who actually DO live with a learning disability.. This is defense attorneys grasping at straws.

Last December, I think prosecutors had barely scratched the surface, and I think much more has been revealed/discovered since then. I won't be surprised if we learn DR also believed punishment for a 13 yr old (and learning disabled), would amount to a slap on the wrist.

While the trial court in many states has discretion when sentencing violent defendants under the age 18, I know the Supreme Court of some states including WA has ruled life sentences of teens unconstitutional.

The last sentence I recall for a Florida minor was last year-- Aiden Fucci, who plead guilty to fatally stabbing Tristyn Bailey, 13.

Although sentenced to life, his sentence is subject to review by a Judge in 25 years. Fucci was age 14 at the time of Bailey's murder.

It's very confusing because initially, DR was described as an 'Honour Student' with high grades, good attendance and no disciplinary issues.

Now he is being described as someone with Learning Disabilities who may be autistic?

Let's say he does have a missed learning disability, or isn't neurotypical, etc.

What do you believe should be changed or done, as a result of knowing that about him?

JMO “atypical” is a huge basket holding many different conditions united by certain similarities (and more so, diagnostic codes) but genetically, very different. We don’t know yet the full scope of their difference.

1) As the society, we have too many school shooters, too many serial/mass killers, too many people obsessed with death on camera, etc. I hope that early intervention will allow for better prevention, but what kind of intervention is necessary is yet unclear. So far, we don’t even know what would be the target group in this huge basket of “neurodivergence”. Some studies state that after 24, the risk of school shooting precipitously declines. We don’t know what in the brain development provides for it.

Obviously, one diagnosis ≠ similar behavior. Here is where we lag behind, we can generally diagnose but we are poorly aware of the specifics. We need more scientific data to explain, study and prevent. These kids whose names we know so well…they could provide a wealth of data. This is why I am “pro-study” and anti- “lock them up and throw away the key” approach. Such an approach would satisfy the public in the context of this Derek Rosa, but won’t stop another one.

2) to me, incarceration is not about punishment. I don’t think that for IG’s orphaned baby daughter, her brother’s incarceration will make life any easier. Incarceration is a utilitarian measure: the society needs to be protected from very dangerous criminals. We, the community, feel safer knowing that DR can’t attack us. So from this standpoint, I agree with the majority. There is no alternative to incarceration.

3) however, if DR has the diagnosis, the opposite is true, too. The diagnosis puts him in a vulnerable group. He may be is ill-equipped to survive behind bars. He may be victimized. If DR has a certain diagnosis, therapeutic measures during his stay might be warranted. IMHO. Example: when we ask for disability-accessible pffice buildings, we don’t perform background checks on every disabled client. The law and the morals expect that the society will accommodate the needs of those who are not fully self-sufficient. So if DR, who has committed matricide, is so mentally challenged that he doesn’t even process his own motherless future (and what can be worse than that?), then perhaps yes, something is seriously amiss in him, and we have to provide certain accommodations for his time in jail.

(Not to say that long-term incarceration doesn’t allow people to adjust to life in the society and that maybe one day he will realize what he did and his suicidal risk will be through the roof…this, too).

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Happyhen
Back