GUILTY FL - Dontrell Melvin, 5 mos, Hallandale Beach, July 2011

I am confused- and pretty much disgusted... anyone find an age on her?

ETA: How many people can fall off the turnip truck in one family?? (as I cannot use the words I would like to on here)

I found a mugshot of her from 2011 that lists her birthdate as 6-11-91.

MOO and JMO
I don't think she would have reported him missing even now if the family had not attracted unwanted attention. People had started asking questions.

Sadly, I'm of the same opinion. IMO, at best some of the extended family in some sort of denial. I don't understand how you can go 18 months without seeing a baby, and not contact someone. I wonder if anyone sent him birthday presents, Christmas presents, anything during those 18 months. I mean, if his maternal grandmother sent him, say, a Christmas present to his paternal grandparents' house where she thought he was staying, wouldn't that raise some questions with the paternal grandparents if they didn't have him?

Poor little guy. :(

I suppose what was meant that the maternal grandparents weren't in contact with the paternal grandparents etc. so the mother's family could have been told one set of lies and the father's family another set of lies and for a while it would fly.

... that makes sense. Now I am also wondering who made the second call do DCF which did not fall off the radar. I'm going to guess that Sierra made the first one which was deemed not worthy of investigation and purposely gave information that would ensure it was not investigated.

I'm going to guess it was someone other than either parent who made the second call to DCF.

... that makes sense. Now I am also wondering who made the second call do DCF which did not fall off the radar. I'm going to guess that Sierra made the first one which was deemed not worthy of investigation and purposely gave information that would ensure it was not investigated.

I'm going to guess it was someone other than either parent who made the second call to DCF.

I'd guess it was a member of one family or the other, who would most likely want to remain anonymous. MOO

Sadly, I'm of the same opinion. IMO, at best some of the extended family in some sort of denial. I don't understand how you can go 18 months without seeing a baby, and not contact someone. I wonder if anyone sent him birthday presents, Christmas presents, anything during those 18 months. I mean, if his maternal grandmother sent him, say, a Christmas present to his paternal grandparents' house where she thought he was staying, wouldn't that raise some questions with the paternal grandparents if they didn't have him?

Poor little guy. :(

Welcome to WS flia. :welcome:

I had wondered about the gift giving for birthday's and Christmas as well... and guessed each set of grandparents gave the gifts to the parents rather than try and send them to the other grandparent.

This whole case just stinks. I am so sad this has happened yet again.

remains found: "search yields remains"

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/local/crime/fl-missing-hallandale-baby-20130110,0,5891429.story

from same story:
Sierra similarly told police that the child was with her parents out of state, Fluornoy said.

"We know that not to be the truth," Fluornoy said.

Sierra contacted authorities in October 2012 because Melvin had not allowed her to see her son during the previous 16 months, Fluornoy said.

The Florida Department of Children and Families conducted an investigation but the findings were unknown, Flournoy said.

If the remains found are determined to belong to Dontrell, at least they were honest. I really didn't think he would be recovered this many months later.

Hopefully it won't be long until they publicly state if they are human or not.

I am confused about the call in October. It says that the police responded to a call in October about "custody issues. Then it goes on to say a report was generated referencing the missing child and it was not known if he was alive. Then the report was screened out by DCF. So did the police make a report saying it was not known that the child was alive and no one followed up on it?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/10/3176643/hallandale-beach-police-seek-father.html#storylink=cpy

from above link:
"And not child protection administrators, who received a call to their abuse hotline last fall relaying concerns about Dontrell’s welfare. The call was “screened out,” sources told The Miami Herald, meaning it was deemed unworthy of investigation."

Imo, we are supposed to be confused. DCF is in CYA mode

Hallandale Beach police have recovered remains from the backyard of a house where a toddler went missing 18 months ago.

Police Maj. Thomas Honan told reporters the department does not yet know whether the remains are human or animal. The Broward County Medical Examiner’s Office is expected to arrive at the home by 4:30 p.m. or so, and make a determination as to the skeletal remains.

If the remains are those of a small child, Honan said, it is likely Hallandale Police will charge the parents of Dontrell Melvin with murder.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/11/3177786/father-of-missing-broward-toddler.html#storylink=cpy

Thanks- do you think the Oct call and the one just recently may have backfired on someone? I do...
And where are her other kids going to be living after all of this is pending and resolved? I hope DCF has no say-so in it! What a mess

No clue what to think about the Oct call. I just hope these children are placed together in a home far away from anyone in that family.

In October 2012, Hallandale Beach police caught a whiff of trouble. They received a report that the mother was having “custody issues” with Melvin. That report may have been in conjunction with a service call to the home in which cops responded to a fight between the parents.

A report generated at that time referenced the missing child, stating: “It is not known if the child is alive.”

The Broward Sheriff’s Office, which investigates abuse and neglect in Broward under contract with the Department of Children & Families, didn’t learn any of that because the report was “screened out” by DCF’s child abuse hotline, even though Dontrell’s extended family had previously been under the supervision of Broward’s privately run child welfare agency, ChildNet.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/...-seek-father.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

There are too many cooks stirring the same soup. The Hallandale police, the DCF, the Broward Sheriff and ChildNet... Everyone's going to say that the other guys dropped the ball.

Hallandale Beach Police Chief has confirmed investigators have found human remains in the back yard of a home where a toddler went missing.

The remains found were of a child and police persume it is that of 2-year-old Dontrell Melvin. Police have not confirmed the identity, however, until the medical examiner's office finalizes its testing.

Read more: http://www.wsvn.com/news/articles/l...le-searching-for-missing-child/#ixzz2HheWxjRs

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/01/...-seek-father.html#storylink=cpy#storylink=cpy

There are too many cooks stirring the same soup. The Hallandale police, the DCF, the Broward Sheriff and ChildNet... Everyone's going to say that the other guys dropped the ball.

Ok then! let's see if I get this: Sierra called about custody- not being able to see child in Oct. DCF deemed it unworthy of investigation - but cops do investigate-due to a service call about parents fighting; reporting child may not be alive. Recently, an unrelated "child abuse/neglect" call was made. This time- someone (childnet or DCF) **It hits the fan....

wow...:(

just joined WS and this is my second post, also just read about this poor baby on the huffington post...i know a job in social services is stressful and resources are stretched to the max but it is gob-smacking that things like this could happen! and the grandparents and mother...no child for 18 mths and no one gets concerned??

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...ml?utm_hp_ref=miami&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000009

Ok then! let's see if I get this: Sierra called about custody- not being able to see child in Oct. DCF deemed it unworthy of investigation - but cops do investigate-due to a service call about parents fighting; reporting child may not be alive. Recently, an unrelated "child abuse/neglect" call was made. This time- Child Net investigates. **It hits the fan....

wow...:(

Yeah...

it wouldn't have made any difference to Dontrell who probably died in 2011. But how many children could have been saved if reports and concerns were followed up?

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buffalosleuther
Back