FL FL - 'Fort Myers 8' (1 now UID) WhtMales Buried in Woods, Mar'07

Hopefully this will be instrumental in helping LE find out who did this.

<modsnip: broken link>
11-20-07

Fort Myers police have confirmed the identity of two individuals whose remains were found in March, along with the remains of six others, off Arcadia Road.

The two individuals are Erik D. Kohler, born June 23, 1974, and John C. Blevins, born Nov. 19, 1969. They were identified by the University of North Texas Human Identification Center, which matched two DNA samples from their bones with DNA samples submitted by their family members.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip: broken link>

Conahan was convicted in 1999 of the murder of one Charlotte Harbor transient, 21-year-old Richard Montgomery, according to court records. He was also suspected of several other murders of young men whose remains were found in wooded areas of Charlotte County between 1994-96.

A Florida Department of Law Enforcement criminal profiler had theorized all those victims were killed by a "sexual sadist" -- and Conahan's methods matched that profile.

Fort Myers Police Sgt. Jennifer Soto said this week she's not focusing on any particular suspect in connection to the skeletons case. First, detectives are working to retrace the last steps of the two men whose skeletons have been identified to date.

I wonder why Erik Kohler was last seen in 1995 but not reported missing until 1999!!!! Pretty sad :confused:

This is why i don't think they should initially sentence serial killers to death. Give them life; most of the time there are other victims that they didn't disclose. So many unidentified people would be identified if more of the SK's were talking.

This is why i don't think they should initially sentence serial killers to death. Give them life; most of the time there are other victims that they didn't disclose. So many unidentified people would be identified if more of the SK's were talking.

I understand what you are saying however who is going to pay to keep all of these people in the prisons? They are over crowed now. Where would they put them?? It costs a lot to keep prisoners in jail.

Do you think this might be one of them?

http://www.doenetwork.org/cases/1389dmfl.html he went missing in 1995 ans had broken wrists in his life and hes said to be 6'0 matches a description from page 2 of one of the unidentifieds:

Individual #7

White male, possibly Hispanic, age 20&#8217;s to 30&#8217;s, height 5 feet 11 inches to 6 feet 3 inches. This individual still has all four wisdom teeth. He fractured his right wrist in life.

22 Nov 07

Lost son 'died a horrible death'

Carol Broderick did not want to answer any more questions.

The announcement that her son's remains were among the eight skeletons found in Fort Myers last March has led to a deluge of media attention, with television vans parked outside her Port Charlotte house and reporters asking questions about her son, Erik Cohler, who had been missing for more than a decade.

"There is no closure," she said Wednesday, declining to answer questions. "Not when you know he died a horrible death."

much much more at link

22 Nov 07

Lost son 'died a horrible death'

Carol Broderick did not want to answer any more questions.

The announcement that her son's remains were among the eight skeletons found in Fort Myers last March has led to a deluge of media attention, with television vans parked outside her Port Charlotte house and reporters asking questions about her son, Erik Cohler, who had been missing for more than a decade.

"There is no closure," she said Wednesday, declining to answer questions. "Not when you know he died a horrible death."

much much more at link

I think it's very strange they waited all that time to report Erik missing. I wonder why?

I think many people dont report adults missing especially when it comes to adult children for some time - particularly if there has been friction in the home prior to their leaving or if the person is very independant and it seems to happen more often with men missing than women.

They were discovered last March, when a surveyor inspecting the often-swampy area for potential land development thought he saw human remains sticking out of the ground.
Police were called to the scene, and within a single day they uncovered the remains of eight people believed to have ranged from 18 to 49 years old when they died.

The victims bodies were clustered closely together, within 1 acre of another, and were not buried, according to Fort Myers Police Detective Barry Lewis, who is leading the investigation. He said the bodies went undiscovered because they were covered over the years with falling leaves and other natural debris. "These were basically surface-type deposits," Lewis said.
Was this the work of a serial killer? Police don't know, and they have few clues to go on, other than a wooded area full of human bones. No witnesses have come forward and they have no strong suspects.
/**/
Investigators still have no indication of how the victims were killed. There were no signs of trauma to the eight skulls. There were no bullet holes, either.
What they do know is that the killings are by far the biggest crime to hit Fort Myers.

Hoping to gain a foothold into solving this mystery, Fort Myers police called on a well-known forensic artist named Sharon Long to use the skulls to "rebuild" the faces of the unidentified victims.

Case Of 8 Skeletons Now Officially Ruled Homicides
Detectives have so far identified two of the victims through DNA.

Erik D. Cohler, 21, of Port Charlotte, and John C. Blevins, 38, of Fort Myers, were identified by comparing DNA from the bones to DNA from their relatives, said Fort Myers police Detective Sgt. Jennifer Soto.

Authorities know precious little about the remaining skeletons, other than they were white men between the ages of 18 and 49 and died as far back as 1980.

In the article I linked, they say this case will be featured Saturday on AMW. Also, the skulls were sent for reconstruction. I wish they had included a picture of those.

In the article I linked, they say this case will be featured Saturday on AMW. Also, the skulls were sent for reconstruction. I wish they had included a picture of those.

Wow, so possibly a serial killers dumping site that killed young men. Kind of a Jeffry Dahmer. Scary.

It is scary. The families of 50 missing men sent DNA to be tested against the skeletons but none matched.

Photo essay with facial reconstructions

I came across this while searching for possible other victims of GMH. Hope it's what you were looking for!

Jinxie, yes! That's perfect. Maybe someone, somewhere, will recognize them. Thank you so much for posting that link.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sweetkittykat
Back