Found Deceased FL - Madeline Soto, 13, Missing Child Alert, 13500 blk Town Loop Blvd, Orlando, 26 Feb 2024 *arrest* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember a press statement in the past week that said that she had died at her home, by homicide. Anyone remember this?
Nope, I don't remember seeing that statement. But I remember what Mina said at the Presser. I just posted about that about 30 min ago in the last thread. Here it is:

<modsnip: quoted/linked post was removed>

Does anyone have a link showing the investigating agency has released the manner of death as homicide, or are we just assuming since they're calling it a homicide investigation? The latter obviously makes sense but I'm unaware if MOD has officially been released by LE.
it's possible it's an assumption based on OCSD written statements on social media. This is what Mina said: ( starts at 1:40)

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember a press statement that said she had died in her home. I don't remember the homicide bit, but as they are investigating it as a homicide, you are probably right.
Any chance you have a link to it so we can put this to rest? Not like I've read everything on the topic (far from it. lol) but I haven't seen that, and Google didn't find it for me either when I tried searching for it.

“Likely, between now and that date, new charges will be added,” Longwell said. “I am not privy to the evidence but, I suspect right now, the prosecutors are piecing together the next level of charges, which would have to do with the homicide.”

<modsnip - copyright>

“If someone gives it over, there are a lot of questions,” Longwell said. “It’s one thing with representations in police reports is one perspective. There’s the perspective of the person who consented or gave over a phone during an interrogation can be completely different.”
He is saying that there could be possible legal implications with the phone evidence namely
"Whether they secured that evidence appropriately or had a search warrant or not.”

I remember a press statement in the past week that said that she had died at her home, by homicide. Anyone remember this?
Press statements are not the same as LE statements though. Unless they directly quote someone from LE or the ME's office, it's just their opinion. Granted, it's a pretty compelling opinion given all the other circumstances, but until LE come out and officially say the manner of death was homicide, it's not a fact. Yet.

Last edited:
Local news - nothing new but did bring up the lack of murder charges
The report last night has a timeline
www.clickorlando.com

TIMELINE: Here’s where things stand in Madeline Soto case 1 week after her body was found

As the investigation into Madeline Soto's death continues, News 6 provides a timeline of events stemming back to her initial disappearance.
www.clickorlando.com
www.clickorlando.com
Snipped
MARCH 1

During a news conference, Mina said investigators were “confident” that Soto was already dead, having been killed at her Kissimmee home before Sterns moved her body.
——-
Will post article to the media thread

—————-

This article references she was killed at home. Implies not suicide.

Something to consider though:

If a teen were to take their own life, people might wonder why. They might start rumors, sure.

But....I don't think that LE would start poking around in the devices owned by her mother's boyfriend.

IF MS took her own life, why on earth would SS have driven all around with her dead body in his car? Why would JS have conflicting statements.

Makes no sense at all.

In fact Mina would not commit to saying anything other than she died in Kissimmee ( a reporter even tried to clarify if it was at home)
That’s why there’s so much confusion. Granted, the evidence is overwhelming and she probably was murdered, but that hasn’t been stated officially and that’s what’s causing so much confusion. I feel like if it were a suicide we would know by now, but taking Nex Benedict’s story into account it could still be a suicide. I am not saying I believe it was a suicide. I am merely waiting to hear officially that MOD was homicide. Rather than the press just running with “homicide investigation.”

The fact of the matter is, LE has played it close to the vest - with good reason - and we won’t know for sure until they tell us more.

It would be against the odds if it were a suicide, sure. And IMO the situation and evidence actually could suggest accidental death given SS panic and sloppiness in dealing with the aftermath.

He’s guilty either way, of course. But respectfully, I think going back and forth on the homicide/not homicide and getting snippity with each other over it is fruitless and a waste of time, honestly. We don’t know for sure yet. All MOO.

If a teen were to take their own life, people might wonder why. They might start rumors, sure.

But....I don't think that LE would start poking around in the devices owned by her mother's boyfriend.
They might if she left a note or enote (which I have never heard that she did) but I agree, not likely.
IF MS took her own life, why on earth would SS have driven all around with her dead body in his car? Why would JS have conflicting statements.

Makes no sense at all.
All theoretical: Option 1: She died of suicide because she couldn't live with whatever he did and he felt guilty or angry or some other emotion that made him decide to move her body. Option 2: Whatever he did left marks which couldn't be explained or hidden. So she had to be moved.

They might if she left a note or enote (which I have never heard that she did) but I agree, not likely.

All theoretical: Option 1: She died of suicide because she couldn't live with whatever he did and he felt guilty or angry or some other emotion that made him decide to move her body. Option 2: Whatever he did left marks which couldn't be explained or hidden. So she had to be moved.
If it were suicide, my theory would be that he knew there’d be questions and was afraid of things leading back to him.

During a news conference, Mina said investigators were “confident” that Soto was already dead, having been killed at her Kissimmee home before Sterns moved her body.
——-

—————-

I hear you, this is the same issue I have. Somewhere between LE and the news, things can get a little twisted. clarification:
- I posted about Kissimmee/home above.
-there is also a news outlet that says it differently than Mina does in the press conference, News media said " ss vehicle was seen "near" the complex with Maddie's body visible, as opposed to what Mina says "returning" to the complex.
-The news reporting that the statement about a license plate reader at 8:10 was retracted when that doesn't seem to be a fact
-OCSD posted on all social media ( X, Facebook) it was a homicide investigation; However, Mina said it started as a missing persons investigation,( found body) and now will be turned over to kissimee PD who will continue the"investigation". (no autopsy yet)

*words are like weapons that is for sure.

Last edited:
Agree but it also states : "homicide" investigation. Not saying that is an official declaration, but could be why everyone is saying it's a homicide tho. note: Mina simply calls it an investigation.

With all the info collected to include MS never making it to school, the discarded laptop, the view of a deceased MS in the car, the conflicting versions given by JS, the proof of molestation, and a discarded body covered in brush. IMO It appears homicide. LE saw the body and know if she was stabbed, shot,strangled or hit on the head, so they may have known what killed her when she was found. IMO they are holding back lots of facts to be sure they get any or all involved in her death. I have to remember,that JS has the control of cause and manner of death being released to the public at this time. If LE releases the info without her approval they are subject to being sued unless it is determined JS is implicated in the crime.

With all the info collected to include MS never making it to school, the discarded laptop, the view of a deceased MS in the car, the conflicting versions given by JS, the proof of molestation, and a discarded body covered in brush. IMO It appears homicide. LE saw the body and know if she was stabbed, shot,strangled or hit on the head, so they may have known what killed her when she was found. IMO they are holding back lots of facts to be sure they get any or all involved in her death. I have to remember,that JS has the control of cause and manner of death being released to the public at this time. If LE releases the info without her approval they are subject to being sued unless it is determined JS is implicated in the crime.
I'm with ya, but just clarifying if it was ever officially declared a homicide.

www.clickorlando.com

TIMELINE: Here’s where things stand in Madeline Soto case 1 week after her body was found

As the investigation into Madeline Soto's death continues, News 6 provides a timeline of events stemming back to her initial disappearance.
www.clickorlando.com
www.clickorlando.com
Snipped
MARCH 1

——-

—————-

Yeah, now I've seen it with my own eyes but unless I actually hear LE say it, or read one of their FB posts stating it, or see it somewhere in case/court info, I'm going to chalk it up to a reporter ASSUMING that it was in her home, as I've seen a few do that very thing.

www.clickorlando.com

www.clickorlando.com
www.clickorlando.com
Snipped
MARCH 1

——-

—————-

The person who wrote that article is Brenda Argueta, a digital journalist who joined ClickOrlando.com in March 2021. I think she assumed IMO, and apparently is allowed to do so since she's a "digital journalist".

Digital journalism, also known as netizen journalism or online journalism, is a contemporary form of journalism where editorial content is distributed via the Internet, as opposed to publishing via print or broadcast. What constitutes digital journalism is debated by scholars; however, the primary product of journalism, which is news and features on current affairs, is presented solely or in combination as text, audio, video, or some interactive forms like storytelling stories or newsgames, and disseminated through digital media technology.[1][2]

Fewer barriers to entry, lowered distribution costs, and diverse computer networking technologies have led to the widespread practice of digital journalism.[3] It has democratized the flow of information that was previously controlled by traditional media including newspapers, magazines, radio, and television.[4]

Some have asserted that a greater degree of creativity can be exercised with digital journalism when compared to traditional journalism and traditional media.[5] The digital aspect may be central to the journalistic message and remains, to some extent, within the creative control of the writer, editor, and/or publisher.
[5]

The person who wrote that article is Brenda Argueta, a digital journalist who joined ClickOrlando.com in March 2021. I think she assumed IMO, and apparently is allowed to do so since she's a "digital journalist".

Digital journalism, also known as netizen journalism or online journalism, is a contemporary form of journalism where editorial content is distributed via the Internet, as opposed to publishing via print or broadcast. What constitutes digital journalism is debated by scholars; however, the primary product of journalism, which is news and features on current affairs, is presented solely or in combination as text, audio, video, or some interactive forms like storytelling stories or newsgames, and disseminated through digital media technology.[1][2]

Fewer barriers to entry, lowered distribution costs, and diverse computer networking technologies have led to the widespread practice of digital journalism.[3] It has democratized the flow of information that was previously controlled by traditional media including newspapers, magazines, radio, and television.[4]

Some have asserted that a greater degree of creativity can be exercised with digital journalism when compared to traditional journalism and traditional media.[5] The digital aspect may be central to the journalistic message and remains, to some extent, within the creative control of the writer, editor, and/or publisher.
[5]

Sounds like they run it through AI. JMO

Makes no sense at all.
LE might have started poking around in his devices if she took her own life and the autopsy showed signs of recent assault, and then his DNA was found to be places it shouldn't. I can see him realizing he's going to get caught if she took her own life, and panicking. (I don't really think that's what happened, but I can easily see a chain of events leading from her doing so, to him getting busted for what he's done to her.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lukeyboy43