FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #15

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Diena is remember every detail of the last moments she spent with Somer. She knew the clothes Somer was wearing, she did Somer's hair and put the ribbon in.

I don't know if Diena left for work before the kids left for school, but it is possible she didn't know what backpack Somer took. My friend's 7 year old has at least 5 backpacks; my friend leaves for work before her daughter goes to school, and she is sometimes surprised when she picks her daughter up and sees that she has resurrected a backpack that was once relegated to the back of the closet.

ETA: I really need to learn to refresh before posting. Twall said the same thing.

A comment dated Nov. 3 states the mother is back to work. Don't know if this is true or not-just an observation. And I'm not trying to get a discussion going on whether it is too soon or not for DT to go back to work after Somer's horrible death-everyone is different-I try not to judge people if I have never been in their shoes unless something is obviously not right-just an observation.

I recall a map that was posted here showing tract/lot #s of the properties, and I noticed there were many houses in the area behind the burned house on Gano, including a wooded area with a pond. Was all of that area searched the evening/night of 10/19 also? Just wondering if Somer was behind the Gano house, maybe in the backyard, wandered down into the other neighborhood or maybe the perp took her back there? MOO

I didn't realize that there was that much wooded area, but the comments after that article painted a different picture for me. According to all the comments the woods surrounding the neighborhood were searched that first night. A few of the commenters (don't know a name for them) said they'd been out and described where they were. The woods were mentioned a few times.

There is more than one post (one after the other) by that person encouraging people to check their garbage.

Somer was found 2 weeks ago today, IIRC.

yes, there were two posts by the same person, one with a little more info, but both encouraging people to search the trash.
Every post after that article is dated 2 weeks, but they're not all from the same day. When you read from the oldest to the newest you can get a feel for the timeframe according to what they are talking about. The first night, they spoke of the massive search, and disbelief that no Amber Alert. The next day, they talked about sadness that she wasn't found the night prior, walking their kids to school that morning, how to tell there kids about it etc. etc. I was following along trying to track the days that way. I think the post about looking in garbage was either 10/19 or possibly 10/20.

Also it was mentioned that typically there is police presence (in addition to crossing guards) at at least 2 intersections on the route Somer would take to and from school. Whoever did this was brazen!

A comment dated Nov. 3 states the mother is back to work. Don't know if this is true or not-just an observation. And I'm not trying to get a discussion going on whether it is too soon or not for DT to go back to work after Somer's horrible death-everyone is different-I try not to judge people if I have never been in their shoes unless something is obviously not right-just an observation.

I also read (somewhere else) that she went back to work. But I've come to trust the things I read, less and less.

My sister in-law went back too work while her mom was still at home in the last stages of lung cancer/brain tumer with hospice care, I know a little different to compare loss of mom to daughter. My point is some people just have to keep moving doing anything or it consumes them and only they know what is best. In addition to that the quicker mom moves towards normal (as normal as possiable under these sad conditions) the quicker the other kids may bounce in a healing direction too. not a bad example for dealing with such an overwhelmingly sad loss. I would be more concerned if mom covered up her head and couldn't move! I am in no way suggesting that someone said this was bad, or wrong of mom, just me putting my thoughts to a post.

Sharethelight, I think I have to have a full cup of caffeinated coffee when I read through those comments. Thank you for giving me a better idea on that timeframe. I appreciate that you took the time to read them so I don't have to (at least for now).

With all those people around, it's hard to believe that her killer had her right there. WHO is someone who would be above suspiscion? WHO would be confident the garbage dumpster/can they put Somer in would not be searched again, or if it wasn't theirs, how could they be sure someone wouldn't find more trash they wanted to run out (that happens to me all the time)?

I know early on, they expected Somer was hiding. At some point it became apparent that it was more than that. Was it too late by then?

I'm wondering if that rumor is true.

Luna, I think I would be totally useless at work.

I thought funds were raised so that Diena would not have to return to work right away?

IMO her kids need her with them. I can't imagine they are back at school? I think I'd want my kids with me all the time if something like this happened to me.

With this seemingly being such a random act, I wonder how the parents there are feeling.

I'm wondering if that rumor is true.

Luna, I think I would be totally useless at work.

I thought funds were raised so that Diena would not have to return to work right away?

IMO her kids need her with them. I can't imagine they are back at school? I think I'd want my kids with me all the time if something like this happened to me.

With this seemingly being such a random act, I wonder how the parents there are feeling.

There is a lot of fundraising still going on. I saw three upcoming events posted in the most recent article about the case. I assumed that it was to allow DT to stay home longer. Shouldn't assume, i know . . .

ETA: Here are the events from the end of that article
http://www.claytoday.biz/content/1674_1.php

Here is a list of fund-raisers for the Thompson family. To have an event added, send an e-mail to skindland@jcpgroup.com or gwalsh@jcpgroup.com.
Sunday, Nov. 8: Benefit motorcycle ride sponsored by Jax Bikers, 11 a.m. at Love 2 Ride, 3275 U.S. Highway 17 near Green Cove Springs. (904) 284-4321.
Sunday, Nov. 15: “Somer’s Day” music festival sponsored by Rockers Against Sexual Predators (RASP), 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Town Hall Park next to Orange Park Town Hall, corner of Kingsley Avenue and U.S. Highway 17. Mike Lowe (904) 477-6260.
Sunday, Nov. 22: Bass Tournament, first light to 3 p.m., Whitey’s Fish Camp, 2032 County Road 220; $40 entry fee per boat; optional $10 for biggest bass contest; 50 per cent of entry fees divided among top five finishes. Sponsored by Whitey’s, North Florida Bass Masters and the Florida Bass Network. Sid (904) 759-3846 or Eddie (904) 923-4862.
Where to contribute: Any VyStar Credit Union office through an account under Somer Thompson’s name with account number 0702794000.
Ameris Bank also has an account (No. 3123504437) for donations to the Justice Coalition reward fund. Bank locations are 4835 Town Center Blvd. on Fleming Island and 888 Lane Ave. in Jacksonville.

yes, there were two posts by the same person, one with a little more info, but both encouraging people to search the trash.
Every post after that article is dated 2 weeks, but they're not all from the same day. When you read from the oldest to the newest you can get a feel for the timeframe according to what they are talking about. The first night, they spoke of the massive search, and disbelief that no Amber Alert. The next day, they talked about sadness that she wasn't found the night prior, walking their kids to school that morning, how to tell there kids about it etc. etc. I was following along trying to track the days that way. I think the post about looking in garbage was either 10/19 or possibly 10/20.

Also it was mentioned that typically there is police presence (in addition to crossing guards) at at least 2 intersections on the route Somer would take to and from school. Whoever did this was brazen!

[bolded by me]
Seems to me this person is desperately brazen! More information would help us determine how brazen this sicko really is:

1. Was the dumpster used as a way to destroy evidence? Was Somer put in the dumpster with the expectation the compactor would all but eliminate her body for identification? Was little Somer put in the trash with the expectation the sicko's DNA would be contaminated? If so, I think we have a sophisticated, seasoned, and sadistic child murderer to look for. One who never thought her body would be found so quick. mho

2. Was the sicko patiently waiting for Somer at the busiest time of the day (after school), when moms, police, and children were all around? If so, this might indicate how confident, determined, and skillful he was in capturing his prey. mho

3. Was there a grooming process leading to this murder? Or was Somer a random chance meeting for the sicko?

3. Was the sicko waiting with expectation and knowledge that Somer would break away from her group? Or would he have circled in on any child who was alone? I can't imagine that Somer was the only child walking by herself that afternoon. Chance or planned?

Seems to me this sicko has done this before, if not murder, very close to it! mho

I found Sheriff B's plea to the Public to be quite generic considering a crime of this proportion. He said things like, look for cars that have been recently placed under cover, changes in a persons appearance, coworkers not at work etc. Is this not protocol? I personally feel they are looking for Tips. JMO

There is a lot of fundraising still going on. I saw three upcoming events posted in the most recent article about the case. I assumed that it was to allow DT to stay home longer. Shouldn't assume, i know . . .

ETA: Here are the events from the end of that article
http://www.claytoday.biz/content/1674_1.php

Here is a list of fund-raisers for the Thompson family. To have an event added, send an e-mail to skindland@jcpgroup.com or gwalsh@jcpgroup.com.
Sunday, Nov. 8: Benefit motorcycle ride sponsored by Jax Bikers, 11 a.m. at Love 2 Ride, 3275 U.S. Highway 17 near Green Cove Springs. (904) 284-4321.
Sunday, Nov. 15: “Somer’s Day” music festival sponsored by Rockers Against Sexual Predators (RASP), 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Town Hall Park next to Orange Park Town Hall, corner of Kingsley Avenue and U.S. Highway 17. Mike Lowe (904) 477-6260.
Sunday, Nov. 22: Bass Tournament, first light to 3 p.m., Whitey’s Fish Camp, 2032 County Road 220; $40 entry fee per boat; optional $10 for biggest bass contest; 50 per cent of entry fees divided among top five finishes. Sponsored by Whitey’s, North Florida Bass Masters and the Florida Bass Network. Sid (904) 759-3846 or Eddie (904) 923-4862.
Where to contribute: Any VyStar Credit Union office through an account under Somer Thompson’s name with account number 0702794000.
Ameris Bank also has an account (No. 3123504437) for donations to the Justice Coalition reward fund. Bank locations are 4835 Town Center Blvd. on Fleming Island and 888 Lane Ave. in Jacksonville.

Was the family cleared?????? .. i never heard anyone say they were. Spend your money wisely as you dont know how it will be used as of yet. Sorry if this makes people upset but think about people. Unless and untill they are this is a bad idea

O/T ::: Baby Shannon Dedrick Found Alive ...... Under babysitters BED.... Thank The Lord... Great News On Little Shannon...

Hi All,

I've been following Somer's discussion here since the day after she disappeared, so my user name is new but I feel like I know you all.

I've tried to follow WK in court (I found him online after I got home from trying to help search for Somer the night she disappeared, and was taken aback when he was arrested) ... he's still pre-trial on the county website ... does anyone know what happens next for him after yesterday's court appearance?

JSO has visited the RSO in my Argyle neighborhood multiple times since the SO radius was expanded to 5 miles. Since they've been here so many times without specific suspicions (according to the officers) -- and we don't have SW Duval troubles in the news -- I s'pose that means that CCSO continues to have multi-agency support in Somer's investigation. I'm glad for that and wanted to share that little bit of comfort with you.

I suspect that a RSO was not involved in Somer's disappearance and murder -- given the short period of time, and the likely number of other people nearby, I think she either made it home or was approached by someone she knew -- but I still like to keep an open mind. So, what's next for WK?

Sorry for such a long first post; next will be more succinct.

~~~
firefly blinks

Hi All,

I've been following Somer's discussion here since the day after she disappeared, so my user name is new but I feel like I know you all.

I've tried to follow WK in court (I found him online after I got home from trying to help search for Somer the night she disappeared, and was taken aback when he was arrested) ... he's still pre-trial on the county website ... does anyone know what happens next for him after yesterday's court appearance?

JSO has visited the RSO in my Argyle neighborhood multiple times since the SO radius was expanded to 5 miles. Since they've been here so many times without specific suspicions (according to the officers) -- and we don't have SW Duval troubles in the news -- I s'pose that means that CCSO continues to have multi-agency support in Somer's investigation. I'm glad for that and wanted to share that little bit of comfort with you.

I suspect that a RSO was not involved in Somer's disappearance and murder -- given the short period of time, and the likely number of other people nearby, I think she either made it home or was approached by someone she knew -- but I still like to keep an open mind. So, what's next for WK?

Sorry for such a long first post; next will be more succinct.

~~~
firefly blinks

First off......

WELCOME To WS Cocuya....

Great First post...... and sorry I have no idea about wk .. what is up next for him.. I didn't see a date yet for trial.....

I am so glad you are seeing action in JSO..... It does bring comfort.. I am sure it is as hard on all the LE's involved as it is for us.. They want magic answers too I am sure... I do..

Again... Welcome...

Question for the locals..
Has the school system done any kind of changing of the bus routes so that children who live in the neighborhood are being taken home by a bus? If not, can someone please tell me how I can reach the board of education there, or give me some kind of information on who is in charge of the bus routes?
Thanks in Advance, and I hope this is allowed!
ETA:
Never mind, I think I found it!

Occasional poster here...

Why hasn't LE informed the public if Somer was sexually assaulted? (It would seem sperm DNA should be inside her body and her hymen would be broken.) It's interesting that so many RSO have been ruled out.

Is LE leaning toward this NOT being a sexual assault?

In what direction is LE going with this case?

How can LE expect the public's help when they aren't revealing enough info to the public?

First Coast News has no banner of Somer Thompson updates...

It is gone... I am just hoping they are maybe updating the banner but I am not holding my breath...

So sad just 3 weeks or so and no news updates from LE.. they need to keep this in the front and center...

Come on LE have a presser... please????

Something has to be happening behind the scenes with 2,000 plus tips & leads... the LE are holding their cards close to the vest & I can understand the reason why. However, why will they neither confirm or deny if she was sexually assaulted? That part really puzzles me. If she wasn't, I'd be looking at kids in the neighborhood, school, etc... If she was, I'd look at the RSOs in surrounding areas. Sheriff says he(the sheriff) is the only one that has been cleared. That statement causes my mind to run wild... I have a hunch we will be hearing something soon. This hunch is based on the way my right index finger fell on the pad of paper resting on the upper left corner of my desk, while my right toe was touching the middle leg of the credenza & my hair was wrapped in a towel. In other words, I don't know what in the h*ll I'm talking about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blue's Clues