FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
I work from home, and I RARELY open the door when someone knocks.

I'm a stay at home mom plus I homeschool my kiddos. DH works 12+ hours a day, most days. I only open the door if I TRUST who is knocking. I was attacked in my own yard in broad daylight before by someone I knew (casual acquaintance), so I am very selective in who I open the door for.

My family thinks I'm paranoid, but I would rather be safe than dead.

I don't believe either man in the vigil video is SP. SP is 28-years-old and slight.

The pink shirt man is older and much larger than SP.

The other man has more hair. I compared the photos and I do see a little resemblance, but it is not SP, who is much blonder.

I wanted SP to be in the vigil video. But I don't see him. :(

If you wish, you can join our fellow WS'ers and Light a Candle for Somer.

Light a candle and enter prayers/thoughts for Somer & her family on this website.
http://www.gratefulness.org/candles/candles.cfm?l=eng&gi=ws

There is a Group on this sight called WS. Link directly there with link above. Or, you can use the Group function to search for it. (You don't have to join a group to light a candle.) If you like, when entering your information for your candle type in WS under the GROUP area.

RIP, sweet Somer. You will not be forgotten.

Bold and all else by me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_v._Louisiana

Opinion of the Supreme Court Majority
On June 25, 2008, the Supreme Court, splitting 5-4, held that "[t]he Eighth Amendment bars Louisiana from imposing the death penalty for the rape of a child where the crime did not result, and was not intended to result, in the victim's death." In its majority opinion authored by Justice Kennedy, the Court explained that the application of the death penalty had to rest on national consensus, and that as only six States permitted the death penalty for child rape, no such consensus existed. In formulating the idea of "national consensus" the Court relied on the previous cases Roper v. Simmons (2005), which outlawed the execution of minors, and Coker v. Georgia (1977), which outlawed the application of the death penalty for the crime of rape.According to the Court, "[t]he death penalty is not a proportional punishment for the rape of a child." The opinion, which was joined by the court's four more liberal judges, went on to state, "The court concludes that there is a distinction between intentional first-degree murder, on the one hand, and non-homicide crimes against individuals, even including child rape, on the other. The latter crimes may be devastating in their harm, as here, but in terms of moral depravity and of the injury to the person and to the public, they cannot compare to murder in their severity and irrevocability." The opinion concluded that in cases of crimes against individuals, "the death penalty should not be expanded to instances where the victim’s life was not taken" [11]

Curiously, the majority opinion left open the possibility of the death penalty for 'drug kingpins', as well as treason, espionage and terrorism, these being considered crimes against 'the State' rather than against 'individual persons':

"Our concern here is limited to crimes against individual persons. We do not address, for example, crimes defining and punishing treason, espionage, terrorism, and drug kingpin activity, which are offenses against the State."[12]

So, if I am reading this correctly, if we collectively can get EACH of our states to pass the DP for the rape of a child, it would then become OK to have it for a national law????:woohoo: LETS GET STARTED NOW!!! I understand the concern that they will kill their victims, but honestly, they are now, and what we are doing doesn't seem to be even slowing them down. At least we could prevent some of their victims maybe.

I saw video in which the Sheriff said he hoped they'd have the autopsy results by around noon today.

I remembered discussion about Florida and sunshine laws and the fact that Somer was actually found in Georgia, but Georgia has sunshine laws too.

http://www.gfaf.org/resources/sunshine_laws.pdf

I'm just reading this now.

Last night on the local 4 news the mother was enbraced by another person could not see the other person face during the pieces the news showed of the vigil. The anchor in the news studio ask the reporter if that was D_____
and I cannot remember what name he said. I was wondering who D_______
was. If it was an older sibling. Appeared female from back, dark short hair.
Reporter said she wasn't sure she was staying back right now for respect.

Anyone know who is the bald head guy pictured here

http://www.news4jax.com/news/21382752/detail.html

Is this the BF?

Something makes me think that is Somer's father. I saw him somewhere yesterday either on HLN, the national news here or a live stream I was watching. I'm sorry- I've seen so much I can't recall but I will try and find a pic/link and will post it if I find one. Maybe someone else remembers and can confirm?

ETA: I may be wrong- I just found an article that quoted him from his home in NC yesterday. I know I saw this man speak on the news though. I'll keep digging!

Something makes me think that is Somer's father. I saw him somewhere yesterday either on HLN, the national news here or a live stream I was watching. I'm sorry- I've seen so much I can't recall but I will try and find a pic/link and will post it if I find one. Maybe someone else remembers and can confirm?

ETA: I may be wrong- I just found an article that quoted him from his home in NC yesterday. I know I saw this man speak on the news though. I'll keep digging!
Somer's father lives in NC and is currently in a wheelchair recovering from injuries suffered in a car crash.

I do not believe either of those two men are her father.

Maz

:cow:

Bold and all else by me:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kennedy_v._Louisiana

Opinion of the Supreme Court Majority
On June 25, 2008, the Supreme Court, splitting 5-4, held that "[t]he Eighth Amendment bars Louisiana from imposing the death penalty for the rape of a child where the crime did not result, and was not intended to result, in the victim's death." In its majority opinion authored by Justice Kennedy, the Court explained that the application of the death penalty had to rest on national consensus, and that as only six States permitted the death penalty for child rape, no such consensus existed. In formulating the idea of "national consensus" the Court relied on the previous cases Roper v. Simmons (2005), which outlawed the execution of minors, and Coker v. Georgia (1977), which outlawed the application of the death penalty for the crime of rape.According to the Court, "[t]he death penalty is not a proportional punishment for the rape of a child." The opinion, which was joined by the court's four more liberal judges, went on to state, "The court concludes that there is a distinction between intentional first-degree murder, on the one hand, and non-homicide crimes against individuals, even including child rape, on the other. The latter crimes may be devastating in their harm, as here, but in terms of moral depravity and of the injury to the person and to the public, they cannot compare to murder in their severity and irrevocability." The opinion concluded that in cases of crimes against individuals, "the death penalty should not be expanded to instances where the victim’s life was not taken" [11]

Curiously, the majority opinion left open the possibility of the death penalty for 'drug kingpins', as well as treason, espionage and terrorism, these being considered crimes against 'the State' rather than against 'individual persons':

"Our concern here is limited to crimes against individual persons. We do not address, for example, crimes defining and punishing treason, espionage, terrorism, and drug kingpin activity, which are offenses against the State."[12]

So, if I am reading this correctly, if we collectively can get EACH of our states to pass the DP for the rape of a child, it would then become OK to have it for a national law????:woohoo: LETS GET STARTED NOW!!! I understand the concern that they will kill their victims, but honestly, they are now, and what we are doing doesn't seem to be even slowing them down. At least we could prevent some of their victims maybe.

Never posted in this forum before but I watched the news last night on this tragic case and I had to put in a comment. I have discussed this subject at dinner tables, holidays etc.... with people and how they stand on this subject. Last night, someone finally called in to one of CNN newsnet shows, think it was Jane Velez and said these people should be castrated. That was the same opionion I have had all along. FINALLY someone else voiced it. My first point is why should we as tax payers pay for them to have three square meals a day in prison? The average percentage of repeat offenders for child molestation is something like 85%. Another note I want to express is that they used to just rape children and run, now they are killing them and trying to not leave evidence. So I am to believe that most pedophiles are not just rapists , they are also murderers! This problem will just get worse and worse with the national epidemic "control" issues, or shall I say "out of control" issues that is a rampant problem. If you put them in jail, they are even more restricted and grow angrier. Prison used to be for the notion of "rehabilitation" but it is no longer a viable solution. Unfortunately, without the consequence being grave enough, these crimes will be more frequent. If anyone needs me to sign somewhere on this debate, I'm in.

21384922_240X135.jpg

unkown man (left) -- Sean P (right)

Hard to say but man on left in yellow shirt could be the boyfriend at the vigil.

Maz

Somer's father lives in NC and is currently in a wheelchair recovering from injuries suffered in a car crash.

I do not believe either of those two men are her father.

Maz

My apologies- you are correct- I found an interview with Somer's father and the bald man is not him. I do believe I saw the bald man interviewed at some point though. I'll keep looking!

I think it's really premature to start looking at sex offenders. The child allegedly "just disappeared" and the other children ignored her whereabouts? Not likely, especially after a "tiff". The Sheriff seems to have a good idea who is responsible and basically counted out the "attempted abduction" suspects from about a week earlier. He has also leaned toward "people" being responsible (rather than a single person).

Never posted in this forum before but I watched the news last night on this tragic case and I had to put in a comment. I have discussed this subject at dinner tables, holidays etc.... with people and how they stand on this subject. Last night, someone finally called in to one of CNN newsnet shows, think it was Jane Velez and said these people should be castrated. That was the same opionion I have had all along. FINALLY someone else voiced it. My first point is why should we as tax payers pay for them to have three square meals a day in prison? The average percentage of repeat offenders for child molestation is something like 85%. Another note I want to express is that they used to just rape children and run, now they are killing them and trying to not leave evidence. So I am to believe that most pedophiles are not just rapists , they are also murderers! This problem will just get worse and worse with the national epidemic "control" issues, or shall I say "out of control" issues that is a rampant problem. If you put them in jail, they are even more restricted and grow angrier. Prison used to be for the notion of "rehabilitation" but it is no longer a viable solution. Unfortunately, without the consequence being grave enough, these crimes will be more frequent. If anyone needs me to sign somewhere on this debate, I'm in.

Amen Oldsoul. The system is only protecting the criminals. I feel that if there is DNA evidence in the rape of a child under the age of, I don't know, 10 (?), fry them, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Why do we care about their rights once they have been convicted of this henious crime???? It speaks volumes to me that the justice system feels it is ok to put someone to death for crimes against the state or "drug kingpins" but not to protect the most vulnerable segment of society. We have taken a serious left turn off the correct path...:twocents: I wonder if any of the "justices" who come up with these decisions have any skeletons in their closets...I posted this because I was truly not aware of what the holdup was and assumed many others didn't either. Now we do. Maybe we can do something about it.

I think it's really premature to start looking at sex offenders. The child allegedly "just disappeared" and the other children ignored her whereabouts? Not likely, especially after a "tiff". The Sheriff seems to have a good idea who is responsible and basically counted out the "attempted abduction" suspects from about a week earlier. He has also leaned toward "people" being responsible (rather than a single person).

I think sex offenders should always be at the top of the list to look at. This is what they do.

Of course, they should also look at family, etc. I just think it is never premature to look at sex offenders.

are you insinuating that the other children killed her?

Edited to add: :) Welcome to WebSleuths, and please don't take my following post as an attack. I am just responding to your post with my own opinion.

I agree with you that "rehabilitating" these SO's is NOT solving the problem. Statistics show that MANY of them reoffend within a year after being paroled. I would also agree with you about castrating them, IF I had the faith you have that it would work. Unfortunately, most of these crimes have nothing to do with sexual gratification, it is about power, just like with any rape. That means that taking away their means to sexual gratification will not necessarily keep them from reoffending in other ways. I read a story (I think it was somewhere here in Texas) about a year ago about an SO who had voluntarily been castrated, and yet he still reoffended. Also, the case of Sandra Cantu comes to mind. Not only would castration not be a viable punishment for women offenders, but male and female SO's could use objects to penetrate as Sandra Cantu's killer did.

It will never happen, because in this day and age, criminals seem to have more rights than upstanding citizens. But I would really like to see them throw these SO's on a desert island together. Let them "play" with each other instead of our children. Get them out of here for good.

I would also like to be involved in changing our National Laws concerning the rape of a child. I am sick to death of hearing on the news and seeing these get out on parole and doing it over and over again, until it ends up he kills the next victim. I don't know a thing about doing this, but I do have time. I can write letters, what ever it takes. Please PM me when we have a thread or a game plan.

I am writing to the State Attorneys office today. I wrote to Governor Crist yesterday and was asked to contact the SA for this particular matter. I am mad about William Staubs aka Cobra, being arrested, on charges of unlawful restraints from Donald Snodgrass. Even if you don't like Cobra, or what he did, or how he did it concerning this case, he does not deserve to be Railroaded to jail by a SO. If anyone wants to join me in this endeavor please pm me. I will be happy to supply a copy of the letter I am writing and an mailing address for the SA office in Fl. this is the Honorable R.J. Larizza's email - Larizzarj@sao7.org

I suppose we'll know more after the autopsy.

I think it's a normal reaction to look at registered sex offenders in the area as the most likely suspect.

Sadly, it sometimes turns out to be someone who allegedly loves the child.

I took the Sheriff's comments to simply be "whoever you are, we will get you" ... not that he had concrete idea at this time UNLESS someone's statements about where they were and what they did have not added up.

I wanted to pop in here and say how sorry I was to see that this was Somer. It wasn't really a surprise but it still feels as though I've been punched in the gut. :(

I am a stay at home mom to 2 school age children. I have plenty of time to help out in a movement to change the laws. Please let me know where and when & I'll be there. This needs to stop!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member