FL - Somer Thompson, 7, Orange Park, 19 Oct 2009 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everytime they show Somer's mother on the news my heart breaks into million pieces for her! How horrible! I have three beautiful grand daughters and don't want to even try to imagine what she must be going through. In one of the articles I read where Somer's father now wants his remaining children out of Orange Park and to live with him in North Carolina where he thinks they will be safe...While I do sympathize with him I really do hope he rethinks that statement and does not try to remove the remaining children from thier mother...she is going to need them now more then anything! I also question why he was still in North Carolina while the searches were still underway etc? Had it been one of my children missing I would have been in Orange County in a heartbeat!

http://jacksonville.com/news/georgi...rthmark_on_body_found_in_landfill_matches_dauhttp://jacksonville.com/news/georgi...rthmark_on_body_found_in_landfill_matches_dau

24l5sgp.jpg
Thank you for this picture...doesn't look as similar here.

Maz

:cow:

Poor Somer - I pray for her family and her mother. This is against nature...how do you live with something like that?

I'll say that no one knows yet what happened to Somer. I know that my fiance is not the father of my children, but we've been together for more than 5 years - since my kids were 2 and 3. He's not their father, but he's their dad. He has cleaned up their vomit, sat with them on nights when they were sick, cooked dinner for them, got upset to tears when they were wronged, fighting mad when they were hurt...he would lay down and die for either one of them. I know on the other thread someone said the mom's boyfriend wasn't Somer's family - but we don't know the situation. For anyone to reduce my fiance as 'not family' to my children would be upsetting and heartbreaking - both for my kids who worship him, and for my fiance who loves our kids through and through.

That said, I've noticed that everyone is getting pretty fired up about SOs. It takes PRECISELY this kind of heat and determination to get things done. I'm a writer, and not too long ago, I was pointed to an article a woman had written about sex offenders. Without naming names, this woman felt the laws were too strict. She posted about this, and even insinuated that one of our little darlings on this forum WANTED to be abused by the SO that murdered her. Let's just say it put me in a violent rage, and I responded with my own article - telling her in blunt terms what I thought of her and what I would gladly do to take care of SOs so we no longer had to worry about them.

I was approached by a group of people because of this article...bloggers much like a lot of us...who monitor online activity of individuals. The things these men and women have seen...I couldn't deal with it like they can. Anyway, I'm not going to post the link because I don't know if that's allowed, but I'll say that the blog is called Absolute Zero United. This is a group of regular mothers and people who expose online predators. They have worked with police and have helped shut down many different online rings. They're worth checking if you really want to do something...

If Tricia and Websleuths decides to do something or 'get behind a cause,' I will back them and all of you all the way!!! Sorry - I wrote a book, but needed to get it all out. LOL

Wanted to add also that Wikisposure keeps aggressive tabs on predators who work both online and offline...incase that might be a helpful resource for anyone here.

Poor Somer - I pray for her family and her mother. This is against nature...how do you live with something like that?

I'll say that no one knows yet what happened to Somer. I know that my fiance is not the father of my children, but we've been together for more than 5 years - since my kids were 2 and 3. He's not their father, but he's their dad. He has cleaned up their vomit, sat with them on nights when they were sick, cooked dinner for them, got upset to tears when they were wronged, fighting mad when they were hurt...he would lay down and die for either one of them. I know on the other thread someone said the mom's boyfriend wasn't Somer's family - but we don't know the situation. For anyone to reduce my fiance as 'not family' to my children would be upsetting and heartbreaking - both for my kids who worship him, and for my fiance who loves our kids through and through.

That said, I've noticed that everyone is getting pretty fired up about SOs. It takes PRECISELY this kind of heat and determination to get things done. I'm a writer, and not too long ago, I was pointed to an article a woman had written about sex offenders. Without naming names, this woman felt the laws were too strict. She posted about this, and even insinuated that one of our little darlings on this forum WANTED to be abused by the SO that murdered her. Let's just say it put me in a violent rage, and I responded with my own article - telling her in blunt terms what I thought of her and what I would gladly do to take care of SOs so we no longer had to worry about them.

I was approached by a group of people because of this article...bloggers much like a lot of us...who monitor online activity of individuals. The things these men and women have seen...I couldn't deal with it like they can. Anyway, I'm not going to post the link because I don't know if that's allowed, but I'll say that the blog is called Absolute Zero United. This is a group of regular mothers and people who expose online predators. They have worked with police and have helped shut down many different online rings. They're worth checking if you really want to do something...

If Tricia and Websleuths decides to do something or 'get behind a cause,' I will back them and all of you all the way!!! Sorry - I wrote a book, but needed to get it all out. LOL

Wanted to add also that Wikisposure keeps aggressive tabs on predators who work both online and offline...incase that might be a helpful resource for anyone here.

Thank you for your post. I for one will be checking out the group.

As far as a family unit is concerned...I totally agree with you.

Maz

Just wanted to say that I went google mapat Gano and Debarry ave, I wanted to do the street walk to see what it looked like. After I made the right onto Debarry and went down the street I noticed that the sidewalk was on the left, "wonder if there was a crossing guard" as I continued on Debarry just past Red Maple Court I see two children walking, one is a girl with dark hair and a pink backpack and the other appears to be a boy. It made the hair on my arm stand up. Don't know that it is Somer, but I wanted to reach out and hug her. http://i38.tinypic.com/2a75t8w.jpg

Logged in to see that the thread is now preceded with those horrible words 'found deceased'. Ugh. Have we gotten a positive id?

Then I was greeted with the news of ANOTHER missing child (9 year-old Elizabeth).

I'd also like to toss my hat into the advocacy thread being discussed. My vote is for a FEDERAL law so we don't have to depend on each state's individual legislation. Who is getting this thread going?

Thanks!

I just came back on WS and I think you are right-on. First, non-violent and minor offenders need to be released from jail/prison. Second, a distinction needs to be made between two teens having consentual sex versus violent rapists, pedophiles, sexual predators. Then, a federal law should be enacted to assign life w/out parole or death to the serious predator group. I, too, would like to help in some way. I am retired, so I have plenty of time to do some "grunt" work. Not so sure I still have the higher level thinking skills....
All of this JMO

I think it's really premature to start looking at sex offenders. The child allegedly "just disappeared" and the other children ignored her whereabouts? Not likely, especially after a "tiff". The Sheriff seems to have a good idea who is responsible and basically counted out the "attempted abduction" suspects from about a week earlier. He has also leaned toward "people" being responsible (rather than a single person).

SO's are the FIRST I would start looking at JMO

Somer's father lives in NC and is currently in a wheelchair recovering from injuries suffered in a car crash.

Maz

Thank you for that info...I still hope he dosen't try to take the other children though...but I think he is reacting on raw emotions right now and I would probably feel the same way and want my other children somewhere "safe" (Not that there IS a safe place for children in this world) RIP Somer... :(

I think it's really premature to start looking at sex offenders. The child allegedly "just disappeared" and the other children ignored her whereabouts? Not likely, especially after a "tiff". The Sheriff seems to have a good idea who is responsible and basically counted out the "attempted abduction" suspects from about a week earlier. He has also leaned toward "people" being responsible (rather than a single person).
I disagree!

I feel it's never too soon to look at sex offenders when a child is missing.

I actually do not believe in sex offender registry, because I feel once convicted, and I mean with the first conviction, a sex offender should receive a sentence of life without the possibility of parole.

If a sex offender is found guilty of rape and/or murder of a child, I believe in the death penalty. Not years later after a drawn out appeals process, either. Soon after conviction.

With this system, there would be no need for a sex offender registry.

I actually do not believe in sex offender registry, because I feel once convicted, and I mean with the first conviction, a sex offender should receive a sentence of life without the possibility of parole.

If a sex offender is found guilty of rape and/or murder of a child, I believe in the death penalty. Not years later after a drawn out appeals process, either. Soon after conviction.

This is what I've been thinking since last night when I saw on the news that a possible body had been found in a garbage dump. :furious:

I'm in Texas.... I'll be writing up letters for my senators and congressmen about this.

I would gladly give anyone convicted of a crime against a child the death penalty. I would agree to life without the possibility of parole -- a lot of people say "Why should we pay for them to have 3 hots and a cot?" -- Well, we shouldn't, but if I have to pay that price to keep a child safe? I will gladly do it.

The list of children is too long. We have to stop this. :(

Terrible news - the news we all dread when following these cases. But, as always, bittersweet in a way, because at least this family can begin to have some closure, and she can come home. I am grateful she was found; just wish it had not been this way.

Rest in peace, Somer.

~ Somer Renee Thompson ~
April 05, 2002 - October 19-20, 2009
swshhg.jpg

SO's are the FIRST I would start looking at JMO

I agree Poppy. There is always the exception to the rule of statistics and I would love to hear an assessment or profile of this abductor from Pat Brown. Having located her body so soon and the way in which it was disposed of would not IMO lead investigators or profilers to profile this guy as someone Somer knew or a famiy member.

I think it was Not for kids who gave the best rundown I have read lately on the MO of a SO. They just 'ditch' the body as it has served it's purpose and on to dreaming about the next.

In all the years I've been here there is only one case I can think of where a husband murdered his pregnant wife in Utah and concealed her body in a dumpster which ended up in the local land fill dump. It was unusual.

Also, I read searching the land fill is SOP in the area where Somer went missing. But the way LE did this was not SOP, following the trucks as they aproached the landfull and dumped their loads. That way the first garbage out of the area was searched before it was covered with other garbage and the Sheriff says that is why she was found so fast. xox

Let's pray now that forensics will lead investigators to the perp. IMO

I disagree!

I feel it's never too soon to look at sex offenders when a child is missing.

BBM

I cannot agree with this at this point in time. Once our govt. wakes up and does something about the SO lists by seperating them out into types of offense, then we can work on never letting the real offenders out. It would be quite an injustice to send willie and wilma the 17 yo seniors to prison for life for "sexting".

Somer's mother said that Somer and her siblings lived outside of the bus route - does this mean they lived too far or not far enough?

I think it is time schools work with parents to orginize a way to get kids to school and home safely. Parents must work and may not have the reasources to pick up their kids or have their kids picked up. there must be a way to keep them safe as I am sure SO frequently stalk schools for such children.

Kid's should not be walking a mile home alone to or from school or even in groups and working parents should have the support of the school and district to figure out a way to get them to and from school safely.

It is unacceptable to end school classes and allow elementary school kids to find their own way home.

My son lived 14 blocks from his school and in order to get the bus service he had to live 16 blocks - this was in junior high and my heart hurt each time he had to walk alone - because I work and had no other options. My sitter was my mom who arrived home slightly too late to be able to pick him up. A finally worked out something with another mother - but it was unfair to leave me with no options.

It means they live within 2 miles of the elementary school, we have the same problem where I live, it .7 miles to the school, along a hwy and the kids that live here are expected to walk or ride bikes. So, since DD likes to ride her bike to school, I get on mine every morning and every afternoon to ride with her. I ride with her to the crossing guard, and meet her at the crossing guard every day.

It breaks my heart to see how many kids walk alone everyday :(

What's worse, my sister lives about 1/2 mile away, her daughter is in 10 grade and she's expected to walk to the High School (we measure 1.9 miles away), and cross a six lane hwy, after the time change, she would be walking in the dark.

Who's bright idea is that?

I read Nancy Grace is going to spotlight Somer's case tonight and I hope she will have Pat Brown on. xox

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamtom