Found Deceased GA - Bud, 69, & June Runion, 66, McRae, 22 Jan 2015 #2 *Arrest*

This was just posted on the Remember Bud & June Runion facebook page "People have asked about the case, and this is what the District Attorney has decided to pursue. We as the Runion family stand by our comments and beliefs about forgiveness to this man. We believe that regardless of the crime or sin, there is still forgiveness and salvation for those who seek Him."

Prosecutors are seeking the death penalty. The arraignment scheduled for June 25 is being pushed back until after the first proceeding of the death penalty prosecution.

http://m.ajc.com/news/news/crime-la...alty-for-alleged-killer-/nmjJB/#__federated=1

http://www.macon.com/2015/06/22/3810046/death-penalty-sought-in-alleged.html

Maybe it was meant to be put in the Russell and Shirley Dermond thread instead?
IMOO.

I thought so, but all the killings are in GA so I wondered if there was a link I'd missed. Have never heard of the Dermonds before now.

I thought so, but all the killings are in GA so I wondered if there was a link I'd missed. Have never heard of the Dermonds before now.

Oh wow!
Very interesting case, the Dermonds.
You gotta check out the thread.
IMOO.

From coverage in late June:

[h=1]Death penalty sought in alleged Craigslist killing of Runion couple[/h]Prosecutors will seek the death penalty for a Telfair County man accused of killing an Atlanta-area husband and wife he allegedly lured to south Georgia after the husband posted a Craigslist ad seeking a vintage Ford Mustang....

...Towns’ arraignment, originally set for June 25, won’t happen until after a so-called first proceeding, the initial step in a death penalty prosecution, which won’t likely come for a month or so.

more at: http://www.macon.com/news/local/article30240543.html

The above article was from last June, 2015. It seems Towns hasn't had a court date since June 25, 2015. I just looked at the county records and the last entry was for a "Letter from Judge" on 5/6/2016. There were some Motions on Evidence filed May 28, 2016, but nothing about hearings or trial dates. I did notice that Towns has four attorneys.

HOGUE , FRANKLIN J
GRIFFIN , J. TRAVIS
PITTMAN , GABRIELLE AMBER
STUDELSKA , NATHANIAL L.

I can't remember if Towns had Hogue as court appointed representation or if he was retained.

Posting mainly so I can get updates when more news posts. Sad that it takes so long to get justice. Wonder why no new hearings or anything.

Just thought about this case and decided to check on it. Looks like his indictment was dismissed, but prosecution appealed to Georgia Supreme Court...No result that I could find. Sure hope justice is served for this couple that were lured to their deaths through Craigslist.

‘Craigslist Killer’ Case Goes Before Georgia Supreme Court After Indictment Of Elderly Couple’s Alleged Murderer Tossed
Georgia Supreme Court hears case of McRae man accused of killing elderly Marietta couple

Most cases heard at the Georgia Supreme Court are decided within six months of oral arguments.

ETA: I'm sure DA will seek a new indictment if Court rules against them...Don't think they'll let him walk free on this one.

Just thought about this case and decided to check on it. Looks like his indictment was dismissed, but prosecution appealed to Georgia Supreme Court...No result that I could find. Sure hope justice is served for this couple that were lured to their deaths through Craigslist.

‘Craigslist Killer’ Case Goes Before Georgia Supreme Court After Indictment Of Elderly Couple’s Alleged Murderer Tossed
Georgia Supreme Court hears case of McRae man accused of killing elderly Marietta couple

Most cases heard at the Georgia Supreme Court are decided within six months of oral arguments.

ETA: I'm sure DA will seek a new indictment if Court rules against them...Don't think they'll let him walk free on this one.

Thank you for the update. Hoping Justice will be served.

From the above link:

“However, in March 2017, Towns' attorneys filed a motion to dismiss the indictment against him, claiming that some members of the 2015 grand jury were intentionally chosen. Towns' attorneys claimed that, Telfair County superior court clerk Belinda Thomas called four people she knew personally to have them serve on the grand jury, according to WFXL in Southwestern Georgia. A trial judge sided with his lawyers and the indictment was dismissed.

Prosecutors appealed the decision and now the case has gone to the state's supreme court, which will decide whether to uphold the indictment's dismissal. If they do, a re-indictment with a new grand jury would have to come next, meaning this case still has a long way to go until any kind of conclusion is reached.”

Thank you for the update. Hoping Justice will be served.

From the above link:

“However, in March 2017, Towns' attorneys filed a motion to dismiss the indictment against him, claiming that some members of the 2015 grand jury were intentionally chosen. Towns' attorneys claimed that, Telfair County superior court clerk Belinda Thomas called four people she knew personally to have them serve on the grand jury, according to WFXL in Southwestern Georgia. A trial judge sided with his lawyers and the indictment was dismissed.

Prosecutors appealed the decision and now the case has gone to the state's supreme court, which will decide whether to uphold the indictment's dismissal. If they do, a re-indictment with a new grand jury would have to come next, meaning this case still has a long way to go until any kind of conclusion is reached.”
Really?! Why do people do such stupid stuff?? IIRC, there’s little doubt this guy did it, wouldn’t have been hard to get an impartial GJnto indict. Now justice is at risk.

Yeah, this foolish way of assembling the Grand Jury has caused unnecessary delays in justice for this couple and their family. Wonder how it was discovered that the clerk called certain people? IIRC, the perp's family were pretty influential in the area. Maybe somebody thought it would be beneficial to let them know this happened. Of course, it never should have happened. I fully expect the Court to uphold the dismissal...So everything will start all over...This happened in 2015! What a shame.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod
Back