GA - Child Found Tied Up In Sweltering Car

White Rain

Reaction score
This is just so sad and it makes me furious. I am SO glad the child didn't die.

RINGGOLD, Ga. -- Investigators discovered a crying 6-year-old boy tied up in a sweltering car at a suburban restaurant after employees saw a man take the child outside and then return without him to finish eating.
An employee at the Cracker Barrel restaurant called Ringgold, Ga., police after staff witnessed the incident Saturday, Sgt. John Gass said Tuesday.

Gass said investigators believe the child, whose name was not released, was likely tied up for about 30 minutes while outside temperatures were in the 80s in Ringgold, about 13 miles southeast of Chattanooga.

"He was sitting up in between the two front seats and he was crying," Gass said. "He had a rope tied to one of his ankles. The child was just sweating, just soaking."

Gass said he and a county investigator "untied him and took him inside where it was cool."

The boy's mother, Rachel Gilchrist, 35, and her companion, Raymond Minchew, 61, both of Sandy Springs, were arrested Saturday and charged with cruelty to children and concealing a weapon. Police found a handgun in the car.

Gilchrist remained in custody Tuesday at the Catoosa County, Ga., jail. Records show Minchew was released late Monday on a $5,000 bond.
more at link http://www.wsbtv.com/news/13488616/detail.html

People never fail to amaze me.

Who is this 61 year old? A boyfriend? Uncle?

Why was he in charge of the discipline of the child?

Thank God someone did something and the child is still alive.

So they not only left him tied up in an overheated car, he was in there with a handgun, too? Nice.

So they not only left him tied up in an overheated car, he was in there with a handgun, too? Nice.

My thought too when they mentioned the gun. Where do these people come from??

My thought too when they mentioned the gun. Where do these people come from??
x

Dena...........no kidding . Total Trash.......that's what these people are.
This kid needs a new family. I hope he get's one soon ......

xxxxxxxooo
mama:blowkiss: :blowkiss:

Thank God someone found this child before it was too late.

This makes me furious. :furious: What the hell is wrong with people? :furious: :furious:

Love Mama is right. Those people are garbage and not worth the dirt in a tire tread! This makes me sick! I can only imagine the true extent of the abuse that dear child has suffered through six long years! A six year old child seems so young and to have lived such a short life. But, six years of a painful life, filled with abuse and no true parental love is a lengthy torture of the mind, body and soul of a poor child. I don't know if this child was abused for all those years. But, based on what I read that is probably the case.

I hope and pray that this child can heal and form loving relationships with a loving, stable family. This breaks my heart to the point of tears. And, I sure hope that the adult pieces of trash get the toughest sentence(s) possible in this case.

Lion

No doubt....we really need a weeping icon here at Websleuths.

So sad, but so true, southcitymom. We do need a weeping icon. Gosh, what that boy went through that day and probably many other days just hurts me inside.

Lion

The article says companion to me that is a BF or a date NOT a relative.

So this women trying to woo her older (probably well off) new BF (notice the age dif!) let him just do this to her child..

Also notice he made bail at a mere 5K and she is still sitting is county jail (it did not say what her bail is but I assume the same)

Such a low bail tells me that it is unlikely that either of them will do time and that boy will be right back with his Anna Nicole Smith wanna be mom in no time.

Poor Poor little thing. I cant even imagine how scared he was. I cant understand how someone could just do that without a care in the world. Im sooooo glad he is okay because we all know how bad it could have gotten.

How could any mother (and I use that term very looseley) stand by and let this happen? I am so angry that this happens over and over again and that their bail was set so low!!! People have got to be taught a lesson and they are not doing that with these pitiful sentences that they dish out. I pray to God that she doesn't get him back. What could that baby have done to be treated like that? Nothing!God bless the workers at Cracker Barrell. So many people would have decided it wasn't their business.

Obviously the mother is more interested in her relationship with this man than with her son, I too hope this child is taken away from her and put with a family who will cherish this poor boy.

A weeping icon would surely get a lot of use on WS, as there are so many sad stories, wish it wasnt the case, but sadly thats life.

That little boy could have died if the workers didn't get involved and call. It seems like the so called mom and companion are getting a slap on the hand. It doesn't matter how misbehaved the boy was, he's a child!!! We don't know exactly what the boy was doing, but if his behavior in the restaurant was unacceptable, any civilized parent would have handled it by requesting a to-go bag and leaving the restaurant. Bless this little guy, hope he's resting comfortably.

That little boy could have died if the workers didn't get involved and call. It seems like the so called mom and companion are getting a slap on the hand. It doesn't matter how misbehaved the boy was, he's a child!!! We don't know exactly what the boy was doing, but if his behavior in the restaurant was unacceptable, any civilized parent would have handled it by requesting a to-go bag and leaving the restaurant. Bless this little guy, hope he's resting comfortably.

I'm sure I'm not the only parent on this board who has spent at least part of a restaurant meal in a car with a child who won't behave.....

The sad thing about it is that this is in Georgia and FCS have a lousy reputation here. Pray that they will do right by this child and he will receive the rescue and help that he deserves...

I am from Louisiana and they dont do anything to help children here most of the time either. A friend of mine found a 2 year old in a car with all the doors locked and the windows up, she waited 15 minutes for someone to come out the store and when no one did she called the cops. They came and waited about another 20 minutes and the woman finally came out and all they did is give her a ticket. I was sooooo mad about that.

Summer's only beginning and we've heard of at least 3 stories like this in 2 days. God bless the people who called LE and weren't afraid to get involved. I hope the birth unit:furious: looses her child. She doesn't deserve him.

Summer's only beginning and we've heard of at least 3 stories like this in 2 days. God bless the people who called LE and weren't afraid to get involved. I hope the birth unit:furious: looses her child. She doesn't deserve him.
Loved your term birth unit philamena, as she definitely doesnt deserve to be called mother.:loser:

I am from Louisiana and they dont do anything to help children here most of the time either. A friend of mine found a 2 year old in a car with all the doors locked and the windows up, she waited 15 minutes for someone to come out the store and when no one did she called the cops. They came and waited about another 20 minutes and the woman finally came out and all they did is give her a ticket. I was sooooo mad about that.

I just wonder why any of us that read here are even shocked any longer?
Had I been your friend I probably would have been arrested myself for the way I spoke to officers while they waited 20 more minutes. (I sure as hell would have reported them to their superiors)

Personally I think they should have busted in the front windshield ( that is nice and expensive to replace and almost never seals correctly again:)
It seems to me if these parents do not care about their children and DCF and those who should stop the abuse don't then the least that should be done is that the parents are charged HEFTY money.. maybe then DCF won't be so underfunded??
I don't care if they have to pay 10$ a month for the rest of their lives ....even a welfare mom can afford that.
Why shouldn't abusers have to pay forever? Lord knows abuse victims do.
Most often it is us the taxpayer who pay for this crappy system that reunites children with abusive parents.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AnswersFound
Back