GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/mayor-calling-review-handling-jorelys-rivera-case/nF38k/

A day after Jorelys disappeared from River Edge Apartments in Canton, Cherokee County Sheriff Roger Garrison sounded the alarm.

"This is still a search that's being conducted by basically civilians at that point, the firefighters and search and rescue personnel doing the search, so they were in charge," Garrison said.

Garrison said he was concerned that the head of the lead agency, Canton Police Chief Jeff Lance, wasn't on scene until later that morning.

"The whole first 48 hours that there was possibly an absence of command and control and just a lot of chaos there," Garrison said.

Exactly.

I'd like to add that at this point in most abduction/missing persons cases (under 2 weeks), people ( by people I mean we) are generally wringing our hands over trails going cold and evidence being lost, bodies losing evidence and wondering what LE is doing to find them.

They found Jorelys, the evidence, the cause and manner of death, and the perp in a few days, and because they haven't paraded what they have for evidence before the MSM and zipped an indictment out for all charges and to our satisfaction immediately, they suddenly have the wrong man?

How would finding her body and the evidence after 3 days as opposed to one day suddenly point to the wrong person?

Whatever they have was good enough, that when a judge reviewed it, he felt it was enough to hold RB until the GBI is ready to submit their indictment, be it a week, 30 days, 60 days, etc.

An indictment taking months in a murder case is not uncommon, from what I've read. Especially if the DA wants to file all charges at once. (Remember: kidnapping, assualt, rape, murder, possibly more.)

And the GBI started saying it would be a while from the moment they found Jorelys and the crime scene! They didn't suddenly start saying this yesterday because they just figured out they don't have good evidence and they suddenly think they might be looking at the wrong perp. They were saying this within 24 hours of finding Jorelys and the apartment, citing it was a 'mammoth case' and 'mountains of evidence' and hinted at multiple charges. The GBI director said this. Not the Canton LE.

The judge is good with the evidence thus far and the arrest. The GBI Director is good with the evidence thus far and the arrest. I'm sorry some sleuthers are not. But I'm not sure why anyone would want this case, or the indictment rushed, just so they could be instantly reassured of his guilt. This isn't a TV show. :banghead:

GREAT POST

As I have said more than once, there is NO DOUBT in my mind they have the correct man.

As for the different accounts of media reporting... having ten years of being interviewed by media..please let me tell you they get things WRONG. They are on deadline, rushed to make the 5 pm news. PLEASE, don't put too much confidence in what you read or hear.

As for GBI holding this close to their chest, BRAVO! Do any of you who want sooo much information right now, really want an intelligent defense attorney to get this man off? I'll bide my time and pray that the jurors are good ones.

I agree about the alibi. Although I do wonder if he was at Walmart at any time that day. I just don't understand why he would give an alibi of Walmart if it could be so easily proved. Is he that dumb?

I've said it before...he would have been better served to just say he was around doing groundskeeping work or was in his apartment, even if there was nobody to back his alibi up. Better than saying you were at Walmart.

The other thing...I wonder if he asked someone to lie for him? Or perhaps he just told someone he was at Walmart and that person believed him? Then when the police came back and said he didn't show up the video, the friend account changed to say that Ryan had only told him/her that and they didn't know personally. I don't know, something about that I just don't get. I mean WHO would agree to lie for someone when it's a MURDER investigation??? Color me confused.

RB told 'detectives' that he was at Walmart. Possibly the roommate and/or another friend really was at Walmart & RB claimed to be with him. Detectives could have verified the friend(s) at Walmart without RB. RB could have told his friend(s) he was sleeping, drinking beer, whatever - just that he was home by himself & wanted LE to quit bothering him. Of course they didn't suspect their friend could have been a murderer.
During an interview with detectives, Brunn said he was at Walmart at the time of Jorelys' abduction and murder, 11Alive's Kevin Rowson reported. But, after investigators checked security videos at the Walmart, Rowson reported that they were able to conclude that Brunn's alibi didn't hold up.
http://www.11alive.com/rss/article/...a-murder-suspect-makes-first-court-appearance

We don't have a clue what LE has as far as evidence goes and that's the way it should be!. I just don't understand why some posters act like they should know what LE knows. It doesn't work that way.........thank goodness.

Protecting evidence means the trial-if there is one- should run smoothly. A good and fair jury pool can be selected. Even this monster will be assured a fair trial ---if evidence isn't leaked.

:cheer:

The jury is out there somewhere & needs to be protected. RB has been appointed a highly regarded defense already. It is there job to look out for him & the Judge & GBI know they will be held accountable for mistakes. Now they are confident they have the right person - every step will be carefully weighed & they can now proceed slowly & methodically.

THANK YOU!!!

Exactly.

I'd like to add that at this point in most abduction/missing persons cases (under 2 weeks), people ( by people I mean we) are generally wringing our hands over trails going cold and evidence being lost, bodies losing evidence and wondering what LE is doing to find them.

They found Jorelys, the evidence, the cause and manner of death, and the perp in a few days, and because they haven't paraded what they have for evidence before the MSM and zipped an indictment out for all charges and to our satisfaction immediately, they suddenly have the wrong man?

How would finding her body and the evidence after 3 days as opposed to one day suddenly point to the wrong person?

Whatever they have was good enough, that when a judge reviewed it, he felt it was enough to hold RB until the GBI is ready to submit their indictment, be it a week, 30 days, 60 days, etc.

An indictment taking months in a murder case is not uncommon, from what I've read. Especially if the DA wants to file all charges at once. (Remember: kidnapping, assualt, rape, murder, possibly more.)

And the GBI started saying it would be a while from the moment they found Jorelys and the crime scene! They didn't suddenly start saying this yesterday because they just figured out they don't have good evidence and they suddenly think they might be looking at the wrong perp. They were saying this within 24 hours of finding Jorelys and the apartment, citing it was a 'mammoth case' and 'mountains of evidence' and hinted at multiple charges. The GBI director said this. Not the Canton LE.

The judge is good with the evidence thus far and the arrest. The GBI Director is good with the evidence thus far and the arrest. I'm sorry some sleuthers are not. But I'm not sure why anyone would want this case, or the indictment rushed, just so they could be instantly reassured of his guilt. This isn't a TV show. :banghead:

I think we will see lots more charges, especially those dealing with children...like aggravated child molestation. I also think a great deal of the charges will have the "aggravated" attached to them.

Another point to remember. Once he is indicted and pleads discovery begins and the clock starts ticking for a speedy trial (I think 60 days). Most defense teams waive the right to a speedy trial but if all the evidence isn't back and everything set for trial they may not waive that right. MOO

It just bothers me that there has been nothing released tying him RB directly to the crime. I have felt this way from the beginning. I guess because the arrest was so swift and we aren't used to seeing that. And in the cases where that has happened facts are released quickly. We have not even been told why he was arrested. Just that they have lots of evidense.

If they are wrong, how will they save face and get out of it. No better way than to say the whole thing was botched and blame LE. I am just basing it on my own feelings. Nothing concrete. Everything is just too quiet. jmo

Perhaps LE, GBI, and Court Systems are waiting as to give Jorelys' family a chance to morn in the proper way. After all this is their first Christmas Holiday Season without their child, Jorelys Rivera. It is only fitting to allow them a peaceful moment without being bombarded with the nasty details of this case.

I really truly believe they have the right guy too. The lady who reported Brunn said he said something about so many empty apartments it could be easy to take somebody in one of them, I'll have to find the link and thats why they started looking at him. I just don't understand why he would do something this horrible??

And I agree saying he was at walmart wasn't a very smart move on his part...jmo

http://canton.11alive.com/news/news/92865-canton-police-fear-missing-7-year-old-was-abducted Teenage sitter went to get drinks, returned to the playground and JR was missing...

OR

http://www.ajc.com/news/cherokee/abduction-suspected-in-case-1249642.html
Jorelys, who turned 7 on Aug. 20, disappeared around 5 p.m. Friday while she took a break from playing at the River Ridge complex on River Ridge Drive, police said. She reportedly told other children at the playground that she was going inside to get drinks, but never returned.

OR

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/7-year-old-girl-missing/nFsYb/
7-year-old girl missing
The girl, Jorely Rivera, was playing in the playground of her River Ridge apartment complex on River Ridge Drive in Canton. She was being watched by a teen who last saw her around 5 p.m., Canton police said. Rivera’s father lives in Puerto Rico and her mother was out of town.

Then there's this, which makes me tend to believe she was not in a trash bag - but, again, media is reporting, it's not a statement from LE:
Missing 7-year-old's body found in Dumpster
http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/crews-intensify-search-missing-girl/nFs6d/

"At the apartment complex where the girl was last seen. He said they took the Dumpster to a barren field across the street and emptied it. News Chopper 2 flew over the field, where authorities removed the body from a pile of trash. Georgia Bureau of Investigation director Vernon Keenan said the child was badly beaten and sexually assaulted."
<snip>
"Police said Jorelys left the playground and went back home to get drinks for her friends but say she never returned after she left her apartment. Investigators said that they found soda cans behind an apartment building and were analyzing them for any information."

Did she return, or didn't she? Were the cans found on the playground, or were they found behind one of the apartment buildings? Are they even related to the case? The lack of information from LE causes all of this conflicting information every time. All we know for a fact is that a sweet little girl was brutally murdered and thrown away like trash. Same old story, different day. I pray they solve this one and at least one little girl, in this century, will receive justice.

Thanks for showing inconsistencies - maybe we should keep track of them & flush out the gaps.

Wasn't JRs mother asleep in their apt -- and another woman (and her children) who lived with them was napping, too ?
I have read that in MSM articles.

Didn't he have marks on his wrist and told the other maintenance guys something about them. I'd have to look it up. I haven't found where a friend backed up the walmart story

IIRC -- he showed his friends that he had NO marks on his wrists . . .

Sheriff Roger Garrison will announce this afternoon the disciplinary action against one of his deputies involved in the Jorelys Rivera investigation.

The deputy, whose name has not been released, is a 3-year veteran of the Sheriff's Office and was assisting in the search for the 7-year-old girl Dec. 3, the day after she was reported missing, Garrison told the AJC. He and a sheriff's office trainee failed to report seeing drops of blood in an apartment during the search for the girl until the following day, Garrison said.

From nursebeme's link above.

So it was not Canton PD officers who had missed the crime scene, it was actually officers with the sheriff's department. Somehow I had missed that in previous coverage, and was of the mistaken impression that it was Canton PD.

I am glad to see that the Sheriff immediately launched an internal investigation and is acting quickly to determine of disciplinary action is needed. I have alot of respect for this sheriff based on his actions in calling in the GBI etc, and now in acting quickly to determine if mistakes were also made within his own department.

RE: the small amount of blood that was seen. I hate to think about this, but I think once he got her inside, he probably made small talk, then the blow to the head which is possibly where this small amount of blood came from? Then he took her into the bedroom and did whatever.

I realize it's reported that he stabbed her, but is there any scenario where there wouldn't be large amounts of blood? I just don't see RB getting rid of her and then coming back with a bucket of water and scrubbing down the walls. So I think whatever blood there was, was left over. Perhaps it was just on the mattress?

We don&#8217;t know if the blow to Jorely&#8217;s head caused an 'open' or 'closed' injury.

An 'open' head injury means the skin has been broken and there will be a minimal amount of blood loss. If the skin wasn&#8217;t broken, blood will collect under the skin causing it to swell and bruise which is called a 'hematoma'.

After a child&#8217;s head has been injured, if they don&#8217;t cry or vomit immediately, it means they have lost consciousness.

According to the CME, blunt force trauma to the head was Jorelys&#8217; COD.

If there is blood or clear fluid coming out of the nose or ears, or a bruise below an ear, these are signs that the base of the skull has been fractured or the part of the skull that separates the air passages of the nose from the front part of the brain.

When Kiesha Weippeart died after being thrown against her bedroom wall by either her biological mother or her live-in partner, she bled from her ears.

http://www.drreddy.com/headbump.html

Sheriff Roger Garrison will announce this afternoon the disciplinary action against one of his deputies involved in the Jorelys Rivera investigation.

The deputy, whose name has not been released, is a 3-year veteran of the Sheriff's Office and was assisting in the search for the 7-year-old girl Dec. 3, the day after she was reported missing, Garrison told the AJC. He and a sheriff's office trainee failed to report seeing drops of blood in an apartment during the search for the girl until the following day, Garrison said.

From nursebeme's link above.

So it was not Canton PD officers who had missed the crime scene, it was actually officers with the sheriff's department. Somehow I had missed that in previous coverage, and was of the mistaken impression that it was Canton PD.

I am glad to see that the Sheriff immediately launched an internal investigation and is acting quickly to determine of disciplinary action is needed. I have alot of respect for this sheriff based on his actions in calling in the GBI etc, and now in acting quickly to determine if mistakes were also made within his own department.

Great points. I remember someone on this board said something to the effect that it didn't make a difference when the "crime scene" apartment was discovered, 1 day after or 3 days after. I agree with that but the Sheriff wants to make sure his guys are 100% on top of things all the time and this shows everyone he is serious about that.

Aunt Bee would be proud.

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/mayor-calling-review-handling-jorelys-rivera-case/nF38k/

Mayor calling for review into handling of Jorelys Rivera case

Video included.

Garrison said he was concerned that the head of the lead agency, Canton Police Chief Jeff Lance, wasn't on scene until later that morning.

"The whole first 48 hours that there was possibly an absence of command and control and just a lot of chaos there," Garrison said.

Garrison admitted one of his deputies and a trainee made a major mistake amidst that chaos,searching and clearing a vacant apartment that turned out to be the crime scene where Jorelys was killed and not telling anyone they saw blood inside.

"One of the flaws that concerns me with the entire search was these officers weren't debriefed after the search," Garrison said.

The deputy and the trainee only spoke up when questioned by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation's Child Abduction Response Team the next day after Garrison, rather than Chief Lance, reached out for more resources.

Diamant asked Chief Lance point blank Wednesday where he was the morning after Jorelys disappeared.

He wouldn't say and said critics were just "throwing stones."

Diamant called the chief again after the mayor called for that review, but so far Lance hasn't returned his call.

This picture just gets me. I don't know who the photographer was but talk about telling a story and setting a mood :(

Attachments

• Jorelys children respects.jpg
    Jorelys children respects.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 56
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics