GUILTY GA - Jorelys Rivera, 7, Canton, 2 Dec 2011 - #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
They thought she was a runaway???? At SEVEN?

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

That blew me away. How many 7 year old little girls run away? :banghead:
A missing child should not ever be considered a runaway, imo.

Now he says there was a lot of blood?

He needs to stop talking.

he said after it was "treated"... I think they used luminol or something...

looks like the perp may have tried to clean it up ???

Nurse and Surfie, I sure thought he said there was a lot of blood. I think you're right, the perp likely tried to clean things up.

they are respecting his privacy

the crime scene is described in detail in the report so it will be going to the DA before anything is released to protect the integrity of the case

the officer is devestated

he is removed from the field officer training program for 12 months....

Basically, the officer is on a 12 month probation. He is removed from field officer training program (5% pay incentive). If no violations during that 12 month period, the 36 hour suspension will go NOT into effect. If there is a violation, it will go into effect.

Sheriff says he wants the discipline to be "educational and not punitive."

Sheriff Roger Garrison will announce this afternoon the disciplinary action against one of his deputies involved in the Jorelys Rivera investigation.

The deputy, whose name has not been released, is a 3-year veteran of the Sheriff's Office and was assisting in the search for the 7-year-old girl Dec. 3, the day after she was reported missing, Garrison told the AJC. He and a sheriff's office trainee failed to report seeing drops of blood in an apartment during the search for the girl until the following day, Garrison said.

From nursebeme's link above.

So it was not Canton PD officers who had missed the crime scene, it was actually officers with the sheriff's department. Somehow I had missed that in previous coverage, and was of the mistaken impression that it was Canton PD.

I am glad to see that the Sheriff immediately launched an internal investigation and is acting quickly to determine of disciplinary action is needed. I have alot of respect for this sheriff based on his actions in calling in the GBI etc, and now in acting quickly to determine if mistakes were also made within his own department.

I am still under the impression that the initial investigation/search (if you could call it that before the CCSD and GBI got there) was botched by the Canton City police. I do not think the Chief will take responsibility for it...I do believe that Sherriff Roger Garrison is proactive and thorough in his dealings with his dept. I think it will come out eventually.

They thought she was a runaway???? At SEVEN?

Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

....and there is the rub. Who exactly decided this baby was a runaway. IMO, it was the Chief of the City of Canton PD.

Came in late on the press conference, sorry. The apt was 3 rms, living rm, kitchen, bedrm...and a bath. LE cleared the enitre apt, all rooms. This makes me think RB cleaned up the scene.

Sherriff said he saw the scene after it was "processed"...which makes me think GBI used luminal.

Sherriff kept saying deputy was told to look for a live little girl...he even mentioned a runaway at one point.

He had to have cleaned up. There's no way the officers cleared that apt. with bloody walls, etc.

He had to have been up all night on Friday to clean it so well to the naked eye. He's not a particularly tall person, is he?

ETA: Or wait, what time did they go through that apt? 8 at night or so? Wow, talk about brazen.

He had to have cleaned up. There's no way the officers cleared that apt. with bloody walls, etc.

He had to have been up all night on Friday to clean it so well to the naked eye. He's not a particularly tall person, is he?

ETA: Or wait, what time did they go through that apt? 8 at night or so? Wow, talk about brazen.
I thought he said between 1-3 on saturday?

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/mayor-calling-review-handling-jorelys-rivera-case/nF38k/

A day after Jorelys disappeared from River Edge Apartments in Canton, Cherokee County Sheriff Roger Garrison sounded the alarm.

"This is still a search that's being conducted by basically civilians at that point, the firefighters and search and rescue personnel doing the search, so they were in charge," Garrison said.

Garrison said he was concerned that the head of the lead agency, Canton Police Chief Jeff Lance, wasn't on scene until later that morning.

"The whole first 48 hours that there was possibly an absence of command and control and just a lot of chaos there," Garrison said.

I think right here is where the pi$$ing match between Garrison and Lance began. Garrison was critical of Lance and Lance went gunning for him. JMO

Well, if nothing else, I hope this tragedy changes the department's policy on missing children.

That blew me away. How many 7 year old little girls run away? :banghead:
A missing child should not ever be considered a runaway, imo.

MOO, I think the previous calls to report Jorelys missing played a role in the assumption by Canton PD in thinking this child was simply "misplaced." I feel they started out with that impression based on the history of calls and possibly when well meaning neighbors reported that Jorelys was sometimes not well supervised in their opinion.

I believe this case was mishandled by first responders based off that history of calls to report Joreyls missing and that they set the tone for this investigation initially.

Who was it that didn't come to the scene on Saturday?

Chief of Canton Police Lance
Sheriff of Cherokee County Garison

TIA

I thought he said between 1-3 on saturday?

RB had a bloody crime scene to deal with, so he went out to "help search and pass out fliers" to get a vibe of where people were looking that evening?

I wonder if bloody clothing and clean up rags were found in the dumpster too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crazy_visitor