Found Deceased GA - Kyle Clinkscales, 23, LaGrange, 27 Jan 1976 *car found in 2021*

Rust explains all of that. Different metals will rust at different rates - especially things that may be unpainted like latches for the hood and hatch or interior parts of the gas cap. It's a creek with fresh, flowing water that will carry more oxygen than a stagnant pool of water.

You're right, different metals do indeed rust at different rates, especially when in contact with one another (galvanic corrosion). However, that does not, IMHO, explain the roof. That's the same metal as the rest of the car body, and if you look at the pic of the car where it's on the stream bank, the car roof looks shoved back, not just gone.

Another thing that could suggest he hit a deer - the front left headlight is missing.

The investigators think that the hatch rusted out over time, like you said, and popped up. Only that clean corner of the rear hatch was visible, so like 18 inches(ish).

The passerby who called it in was a truck driver, so it's possible that his vantage point from sitting up higher in the truck is why he was able to see it and others didn't. I will say that the other night local reporter Elizabeth White posted on her Facebook page seeking help to identify the person who made the discovery to interview them. Another truck driver commented on that post and said that he had also seen the car like a month ago and didn't call it in because he thought it was just a door. He never imagined the creek was deep enough to conceal an entire car. So I do think that you probably had to be sitting up higher or physically looking over the bridge to see it.

I think you're right regarding the truck driver's high vantage point.

The picture of the car on the creek bank in the story you linked
is much higher resolution than any I've seen before, and I noticed a few things.

On reviewing the photos, a few things bother me a bit. The first is one you asked about before, the hood. Those were quite heavy (I often worked on a friend's old and dilapidated '72 Pinto when I was in college) and had some very sturdy hood hinges. I see one of them in the high-res photo, sticking up. It's the passenger side one. I think I see the other in the photo you provided of the engine compartment; it's down. That got me to wondering about whether the hood was recovered. I see some differences in the roof between the recovery photo and the later ones on the tarp. Could the hood have been partially off, and the recovery crew placed it on the roof for the haul-out, and it's just not there in the latter photos?

I also noticed (in the high-res recovery photo) that I'd misinterpreted the pictures before. I was wrong when I said the frames around the door windows were intact; that's not true of the passenger side. It;s canted out at about 25 degrees, and the window is gone. There is a linear horizontal crease in the door. I'm having a lot of trouble envisioning the dynamics of an impact that would cause that while not harming the upper edge of that door window frame in any way that I can see. My only guess is this might possibly have been done during the recovery (yanking the door open to look inside, such as for the VIN). It it was not done in the recovery, I'd say that backhoe story looks more and more plausible.

The back axle is indeed out of line, though the usual method of hauling a car out of a ravine or water is to hook onto the back axle. I'm guessing this could easily have caused the issue, as well as springing the frame.

I found the comments by the retired sheriff extremely interesting. If indeed that testimony about caving the top in with a backhoe was given prior to the finding of the car, that would fit in a lot of ways. A big one that comes to mind is that the suspect owned a scrapyard, and damaging the vehicle to make it look like it had been in a wreck would be a means of disguising it as a salvage vehicle. Likewise, some missing parts (such as the hood, wing mirror (Driver's side; it never had one on the passenger side), gas cap, headlight, headlight bezel, both forward side running lights, gas cap, etc) would fit the theory that, for a while, the car was in a scrapyard and mined for parts. I'm very curious to know if any other parts turn up missing.

The reported testimony throws up a lot of red flags for me, such as this line from the story;
"The equipment wasn’t working, the man told Hyde. At that point, Hyde reportedly said, “I’ve got to get that Clinkscales’ blood off the backhoe.”

So, Hyde just up and randomly confessed to having blood on the backhoe, and named the victim, to the guy he's trying to get it back from? At the very least, that's an invitation to blackmail. On the other hand, criminals often hang themselves via their own mouths, so I guess that indicates nothing.

Another troubling aspect; the 16 year old and the 7 year old were cousins, and their stories match. That ought to be a concern, seeing as how, with them being cousins, they've likely spoken to each other about this over the years, which can taint memories even without ill intent. For example, they might have witnessed a murder, then later heard of Kyle Clinckscales, and thus fit details from his story into their memories. So, even if it turns out that Kyle's death was a car accident, I think there might still have been a murder those boys saw.

On the flip side, it's possible that the retired sheriff might have motive to obfuscate a bit, if the convictions he obtained were wrongful. Or, he may be exactly how he comes across; frustrated that they didn't get the clues they needed in time.

My hunch is that the car body will reveal far more than the autopsy, one way or another. For example, if the damage was done by a backhoe, the marks, plus the stress vectors elsewhere on the frame, should be detectable. I also hope they'll be on the lookout for any incongruously missing car parts.

If this was foul play, my current wild guess is that the car wasn't stashed on Hyde's property, but somewhere else. The sheriff did say that Hyde's son agreed to the search, so where they on the right track, but looking in the wrong place? Or was the car at Hydes and missed in the search? The sheriff said they searched where the warrant allowed, so were certain areas off-limits? I wish I knew roughly where that salvage yard was - if it was close to where the car was found, that might mean something.

One more observation; it puzzled me for a bit as to why the passenger side of the car showed more paint, plus more corrosion. The back hatch waterline finally clued me in; that side would have been upwards at about 45 degrees, so my guess is leaves and other debris settling on that side. They'd expose the paint when the came off during recovery, and also increase acidity due to decay, hence more corrosion.

Edit; upon seeing after posting that there may be an issue with al.com not being an approved site, I have removed a link to it. I'll link here instead solely to the picture of the car, as it's the only high-res picture I've seen, there's no doubt as to its authenticity, and it's rather important to the case.

https://www.al.com/resizer/N4Shj9dh...m/advancelocal/AIVLO4DWLJCGHAW4DHOPKEOOTE.jpg

Last edited:
@Arizona 123 - fantastic post and insight! I agree completely with your questions regarding the sheriff’s comments. It could truly be either scenario. I would love to know if that testimony is actually on record in the file.

Regarding the junkyard location, Ray Hyde’s house was located at the junk yard, which was at 827 Smokey Road in LaGrange. You can find this information written in the old articles that LDN published the other day. They are an interesting read. One is an interview with Hyde shortly after he was arrested in 1996.

I don't know what the weather was like when Kyle went missing, but I believe GA does get black ice on occasion. If he hit a slick patch, he might have rolled over side over side, instead of end over end, which might explain the lack of damage to the bumpers, and the way the wheels were turned.
Good suggestion. I found this historical weather site that might help. Weather History for Lafayette, AL
The closest weather station with 1976 data is a bit south, the Columbus GA airport. On the 27th it was mild temps, but the next two nights it went a bit below freezing, with some snow and ice possible. If the accident didn't happen right after he left the club, but happened a day or two later, black ice might have been possible.

If it was indeed a single car accident, and my hunch is that is still the most likely explanation, why didn't anyone local see tire tracks, broken guard railing, or other signs of it the next day? Maybe they noticed some tracks, but because the car wasn't visible, they figured a car had already been towed from the scene? Odd.

Good suggestion. I found this historical weather site that might help. Weather History for Lafayette, AL
The closest weather station with 1976 data is a bit south, the Columbus GA airport. On the 27th it was mild temps, but the next two nights it went a bit below freezing, with some snow and ice possible. If the accident didn't happen right after he left the club, but happened a day or two later, black ice might have been possible.

If it was indeed a single car accident, and my hunch is that is still the most likely explanation, why didn't anyone local see tire tracks, broken guard railing, or other signs of it the next day? Maybe they noticed some tracks, but because the car wasn't visible, they figured a car had already been towed from the scene? Odd.
I think this happens more than one would think - a car goes off the road into some water and nobody notices. Erica Hernandez disappeared in TX in May 2021 and I think it was two weeks before her SUV was found in a pond in a residential neighborhood - somehow nobody saw tire tracks even though she drove over I think 50+ feet of open grass before going in the water. Judith Charter apparently went off the road in Billerica MA in 1982 and her and her 1972 Dodge Dart were found only a few weeks ago. Scary stuff.

Absolutely fascinating. I feel bad for those two people who were charged (convicted?) for tampering with a body when the body had been car crashed in a stream this whole time, 45 years! Based on what, the testimony 30 years later of someone who was a child at the time? It's literally like a movie. I guess Georgia (Alabama?) doesn't have a statute of limitations even on murder - adjacent crimes.

It's just amazing that he was right there all that time, in that iconic malaise era car - still with the drivers side windows intact! It's almost like when both his parents, who from the sound of the book really wanted to hold out hope, were finally gone that it was okay for him to be found. May they all rest peacefully together.

I live in North GA. This kind of reminds how a number of years ago someone, on their deathbed, claimed a body was buried under an auto shop here in town. I do not remember the details. I don't know who was missing that they were looking for. But they dug up that body shop and there was no body under that body shop.

So did the person on their death bed make it up? Actually confused? Regarding this case, was the caller who saw him buried in a drum just a liar? Or is his memory rooted in some truth? How do you get confused about seeing a body buried? Is this person who claimed to see Kyle buried still alive?

I live in North GA. This kind of reminds how a number of years ago someone, on their deathbed, claimed a body was buried under an auto shop here in town. I do not remember the details. I don't know who was missing that they were looking for. But they dug up that body shop and there was no body under that body shop.

So did the person on their death bed make it up? Actually confused? Regarding this case, was the caller who saw him buried in a drum just a liar? Or is his memory rooted in some truth? How do you get confused about seeing a body buried? Is this person who claimed to see Kyle buried still alive?
I also wonder if LE has looked into cases of other men who went missing around the same time from anywhere in the southeast US. Maybe witnesses did see somebody buried in a barrel but it wasn't Kyle. If that's the case, who was it?

Many possible reasons that this car was not spotted or reported earlier. When driving, most people do not stare down at a creek, since their eyes are on the road and other cars. However, if there was a stoppage or slowing of traffic, or some reason for the truck driver to pull over in that area, the opportunity to look down at the creek may have presented itself.

The height of the water in the creek would vary, at times completely covering the car, and at other times allow a portion to stick out. But seeing only a portion of the car it might appear to be just trash of some sort.

To see fish in a body of water, the clarity of the water, height of the sun overhead, and position of the viewer all have to be just right. Change any of those factors, and they cannot be seen. Same thing would apply to a submerged automobile.

The missing hood could be a possible clue. I once had a car with a faulty hood latch, which caused the hood to raise slightly when hitting a bump in the road. The wind stream opened the hood and caused it to break off, flipping over the top of the car into the road behind. It all happened in an instant. A similar incident may have contributed to this situation.

@Arizona 123 - fantastic post and insight! I agree completely with your questions regarding the sheriff’s comments. It could truly be either scenario. I would love to know if that testimony is actually on record in the file.

Regarding the junkyard location, Ray Hyde’s house was located at the junk yard, which was at 827 Smokey Road in LaGrange. You can find this information written in the old articles that LDN published the other day. They are an interesting read. One is an interview with Hyde shortly after he was arrested in 1996.

I noticed something regarding the missing hood. There's been another case where a missing-persons vehicle was located in water, and the recovery video shows the hood missing;
TN - TN - Erin Foster, 18, & Jeremy Bechtel, 17, Sparta, 3 April 2000 *car found in 2021*

I thought about it, and I might have a possible suspect: hydraulic ram. My hypothesis is that a car entering the water head-on at speed would result in water being rammed into the engine compartment. If the underside of the car was already in water, this might result in the engine compartment becoming very quickly full of water, and water is basically incompressible under these conditions. The forward motion of the car would then result in a sudden pressure pulse against the underside of the hood.

Bernoulli's law seems like the operative function here; you double the speed, you get 4 times the pressure. A bit of looking turns up a relationship table based on boating, so you get 30PSI above ambient at 46mph. So, for every square foot, you get 4320 pounds of pressure. That's plenty to blow a hood off, given the frontal area of the radiator grill. Just a guess. However, if correct, it tells us that the car wasn't just pushed or dropped into the creek, it was probably traveling at speed, and thus under it own power.

Thanks for the info in the scrapyard; that's nowhere near where I thought it was. My hunch is that, if this was foul play, the person who put the car into the creek would have had to know the creek was deep enough, and so would be more likely to be local.

I noticed something regarding the missing hood. There's been another case where a missing-persons vehicle was located in water, and the recovery video shows the hood missing;
TN - TN - Erin Foster, 18, & Jeremy Bechtel, 17, Sparta, 3 April 2000 *car found in 2021*

I thought about it, and I might have a possible suspect: hydraulic ram. My hypothesis is that a car entering the water head-on at speed would result in water being rammed into the engine compartment. If the underside of the car was already in water, this might result in the engine compartment becoming very quickly full of water, and water is basically incompressible under these conditions. The forward motion of the car would then result in a sudden pressure pulse against the underside of the hood.

Bernoulli's law seems like the operative function here; you double the speed, you get 4 times the pressure. A bit of looking turns up a relationship table based on boating, so you get 30PSI above ambient at 46mph. So, for every square foot, you get 4320 pounds of pressure. That's plenty to blow a hood off, given the frontal area of the radiator grill. Just a guess. However, if correct, it tells us that the car wasn't just pushed or dropped into the creek, it was probably traveling at speed, and thus under it own power.

Thanks for the info in the scrapyard; that's nowhere near where I thought it was. My hunch is that, if this was foul play, the person who put the car into the creek would have had to know the creek was deep enough, and so would be more likely to be local.
..... You lost me at hydraulic. ;) dang I wish I took Physics!

rsbm
Sounds remarkably similar to Kyle's disappearance. They even had a suspect and rumors of their murder. One difference, though, is their thread title doesn't say they have been identified. Like Kyle, they're waiting on DNA testing to confirm their identities.

The remains in Kyle's car have not, to the best of my knowledge, been confirmed as being Kyle either. Maybe a mod can edit the title appropriately.

rsbm
Sounds remarkably similar to Kyle's disappearance. They even had a suspect and rumors of their murder. One difference, though, is their thread title doesn't say they have been identified. Like Kyle, they're waiting on DNA testing to confirm their identities.

The remains in Kyle's car have not, to the best of my knowledge, been confirmed as being Kyle either. Maybe a mod can edit the title appropriately.

WTVM updated the article (see below) since their original report back on 7 Dec. At the time they reported the remains were confirmed to be Kyle's (see quote below). I wondered how the confirmation had happened so quickly reasoning to myself that they must have used dental records. I should have known that was a little too quick for identification after such a long disappearance. :)

SBM
The car and remains that belong to a missing Auburn student, from Georgia, has been found in Alabama - 45 years after he went missing. [snip] Bones and a wallet were found in the car - and since then, it has been confirmed that the remains are Clinkscales.
#

Rest in peace, Kyle.

https://www.wtvm.com/2021/12/08/pol...ears-later-missing-auburn-university-student/
Published: Dec. 7, 2021 at 10:14 PM CST|Updated: Dec. 9, 2021 at 1:25 PM CST

SBM
Several personal items were recovered from the vehicle - all of which appear to be Clinkscales’ belongings. According to the Troup County Sheriff’s Office, over 50 different skeletal remains were recovered as well - including a partial skull bone - which will all be sent to the GBI Crime Lab for further analysis.

WTVM updated the article (see below) since their original report back on 7 Dec. At the time they reported the remains were confirmed to be Kyle's (see quote below). I wondered how the confirmation had happened so quickly reasoning to myself that they must have used dental records. I should have known that was a little too quick for identification after such a long disappearance. :)

NEW DETAILS: Missing Auburn student’s car, remains found 45 year later
Published: Dec. 7, 2021 at 10:14 PM CST|Updated: Dec. 9, 2021 at 1:25 PM CST

SBM
Several personal items were recovered from the vehicle - all of which appear to be Clinkscales’ belongings. According to the Troup County Sheriff’s Office, over 50 different skeletal remains were recovered as well - including a partial skull bone - which will all be sent to the GBI Crime Lab for further analysis.

Do they mean 50 different peoples' skeletal remains, or 50 different remains belonging to the same person?

50 different skeletal remains as in, 50 bones or partials. Ideally, a skull w/ fully intact mandible to include teeth. They can't justify saying the remains are from the same person (yet), but that's the assumption. But let's back way up since it's likely Kyle...

Most likely there wasn't a guard rail at the time, so that section of road was open, leading to a few scenarios. Deer don't usually cross at areas of water, although he may have over-corrected and starting swerving earlier. Damage photos (credit sleepysleuth) to front and rear seem suspicious for a simple rollover...let's hope the investigation is thorough. As for the missing hood, if this was crash-related, it's rusting down the creek, blown into the woods very nearby, or...elsewhere.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
utahtruecrimepod
Back